collapse collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 47
  • Dot Hidden: 1
  • Dot Users: 2
  • Dot Users Online:

Author Topic: Translation help?  (Read 353 times)

Offline Idi-Noof

• Shemsu
Translation help?
« on: January 16, 2017, 02:51:57 pm »
This seems like it would be a common name in AE but for the life of me I cannot figuire it out. I'm trying to translate/transliterate
"Amun Protects Me " I've found a few clues, I know how to spell Amun and I've found 2 different ways to say/write protect.
I know there is a shemsu named Asetbesai
translated and as "Aset nurtures/protects me" so would it then be Amunbesai? And how would that be written out? I'll make a donation to the house same as I did for my shemsu name translation if someone can help me?

Offline Tanodjmetitui

• Shemsu
Re: Translation help?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2017, 10:29:48 pm »
I've only been studying Middle Egyptian so far, and I believe the names given during the Naming Ceremony are more Late Egyptian. However, I can give my best shot at it.

There are a few ways to say "protect", like "besa" or "khui" for example. As a sentence in Middle Egyptian, I think it would be transliterated to be something like:
"khwi Amun wi" or "besa Amun wi"

But to match the patterns I've seen in the names here, I think something like this would be what you're looking for:
"Amun-khui-i" or "Amunkhuii"
Alternatively, you could have what you've written:
"Amun-besa-i" or "Amunbesai"

Sat Djehuty her Ra, meryt Sekhmet-Hethert her Nut
(Daughter of Djehuty and Ra, beloved of Sekhmet-Hethert and Nut)

Offline Maen

• Shemsu
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2017, 10:11:29 am »
em Hotep,

I have another possiblity for you.

Ikem-y pw Amun   = Amun is my shield

You could also use only "Ikem-y Amun", with the same meaning. Sounds nicer, too...
I'm just a fan of the "pw" sentence, which is used in Middle Egyptian to state very clearly that "X is Y".

To see it in hieroglyphs, enter this code: M17 I6 G17 F27 A1 Q3 G43 M17 Y5 N35 A40
Here: http://www.aegyptisch.de/glyphomat.pl

"ikem" is a shield in the literal sense, a shield made of wood and leather used in the Egyptian army. The metaphor of Amun as a shield can be attested in ancient Egypt: There's a personal letter in a papyrus (pGeneva D 407), Bu-teh-Amun writes a to Djehuty-Mesu:
“May Amun bring you home safely and that I can put my arms around you, that I can fill my eyes with the sight of you. And then you may fill your eyes with the sight of Amun, Lord of the thrones of the two lands, your protector and great shield, one against whom you may rest your back."

There are a few ways to say "protect", like "besa" or "khui" for example. As a sentence in Middle Egyptian, I think it would be transliterated to be something like:
"khwi Amun wi" or "besa Amun wi"

I believe it would have to be "Khwi wi Amun" or "besa wi Amun" - A dependent pronoun precedes the noun in a verbal sentence.

Just my 2 Euro-Cents... hope this helps!

senebty

Ma'en
Ma'a-en-Hethert ("rightly belonging to HetHert")
Daughter of HetHert-Sekhmet, beloved of Nut, Djehuty and Nit-NebtHet-Seshat

Offline Idi-Noof

• Shemsu
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2017, 08:07:58 pm »
Thank you all so much!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Offline Idi-Noof

• Shemsu
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2017, 12:17:59 pm »
How would you say the pw part?