Register
collapse collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Sekhmet & Hethert  (Read 1965 times)

Online Ushedimuti

• Shemsu
Sekhmet & Hethert
« on: November 23, 2016, 08:09:28 pm »
Em hotep, all, *henu*

So, before my RPD, I had no real... connection to Sekhmet. No inkling of Her in my life, aside from noticing Her devotees everywhere. I wondered: with so many who adore Her, what made Her so appealing? I couldn't figure it out. And forgive me, I still don't. I'm having trouble connecting with Her emotionally. I have no idea how to approach Her.

To further confuse things, I did feel drawn to Hethert. Now, I'm really unsure how much I should consider Her in Sekhmet. I know, it's different for everyone and there's no real answer, but I just can't quite wrap my head around how to take Them: together as a Whole, or seperately, like Two Sides of a coin.

I think what I'm asking is... just ways people experience Sekhmet-Hethert, or even Hethert-Sekhmet. Just maybe to help quell my anxiety of it all.

I would like to note: I am currently unable to perform senut due to my living situation; I'm sure if I were doing it more often, things might be a little less frustrating for me to puzzle out.

Senebty,
Ushedi
Ushedimuti | "My Mothers address me." | formerly kissed_by_fire

{ Sat Sekhmet-Hethert her Mafdet, meryt Set!
Self-Care Sekhmet Supporter / Advocate | Self-Care Set Keeper
daughter-of-the-red-land.tumblr.com }

Offline A'Aqytsekhmet

• Rev. A'aqyt - Ordained Clergy - Fundraising Bak
Re: Sekhmet & Hethert
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2016, 08:21:12 pm »
When I began to really think about Sekhmet seriously as a worshiper I was in late college. I had loved her before but then I began to think of how could I relate to her. Then it struck me. In mythology Sekhmet did some terrible things. As a human I had also down some not so flattering things. Yet Sekhmet returned to being a more peaceful, and in my mind, more mature or learned goddess because of what she had gone though. A bringeho had destroyed and through that had learned how to control herself and know herself better.  That was my first connection at that time on my life.
Sat Sekhmet her Hekatawy Alexandros (AUS)
Meryt Sobek-Ra, Yinepu, Nebthet, Nefertem, her Wenut
Fedw Diviner
Self-Care Sekhmet Advocate
Zazzle Shop - Blog - Patreon

Offline Shezatwepwawet

• Moderator (Kemetic Orthodox Q&A)
  • Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2016, 09:20:11 pm »
On not doing senut, in addition to informal prayers I know people who do senut as a mental exercise/in the unseen world. It may not officially be the same  but it will be close and will help build the discipline.

For Sekhmet, I had no clue what to make of Her before I first fully met Her at my first Retreat. I'd had a minor experience with her, or maybe. My first encounter was a saq (ritual appearance/possession, though saq is its own unique type of possession) where She bent my head a little with words. My confusion seemed to amuse Her, and I got a hug.  Seeing Her interact with people, including the child of one of our members, and witnessing Her love, support, compassion, ability to heal, I started to get it. As to the fierce lion, She is Hethert in a specific role. Have you ever seen an angry cow? I'd want to be in its way about as much as I'd want to be in a lion's.

A little rambly but I hope I got my point across.
Senebty,
Zat (She who makes Sekhmet laugh)
Sau apprentice

Sat Wepwawet-Yinepu her Hekatawy Alexandros (AUS) meryt Seshat-Nit-Nebthet her Heru-wer

Offline Sobeqsenu

• Rev. Sobeq - Ordained Clergy
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2016, 09:44:08 pm »
Em hotep, Ushedi!

Usually when we're talking about Sekhmet-Hethert, we are talking about Sekhmet as the other side of Hethert. Mythologically speaking, Sekhmet is Hethert after She becomes enraged on behalf of Her father Ra. She is the fiery part of Hethert, the part that loves so deeply and so passionately that She can't help but shed blood. I wrote a little bit about how I experience Her here.

In a way, I see Her as the hot part of love -- the part that drives people to do wild things, to leave home and travel across the world. She is passion. Not to say that Hethert isn't passion -- but Sekhmet is an almost insatiable passion, a hunger. She is passionate for justice, for love, to protect those She cares for -- and that is all Her people. She punishes the wicked and heals the sick, because She loves so deeply it would hurt Her not to.

I could wax poetic about Sekhmet alllll day. ;)
Rev. Sobeqsenu
Priest of Wepwawet and Sekhmet-Mut
Beloved of Bast, Nut, Khonsu, and Nebt-het
W'ab Nekhen Ib Imau-sen | Heri-sesheta Wepwawet

Offline Awibemhethert

• W'ab Priest (Lay Clergy) - New Members Bak
Sekhmet & Hethert
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2016, 11:44:33 pm »
For me? Hethert is soooooooo big. She is so many things: love, joy, music, dance, drunkenness, regal queenship. I am still learning so much about Her. She is also the wandering Goddess, and Her children sometimes wander too. She flashed Her father to lighten his mood - She can be bawdy. There are parts of Her I have never explored.

Sekhmet, for me, is both Hethert in a particular situation (getting carried away killing) and a Goddess very different from Hethert and very powerful. Most of my sense of that comes from retreat and the times I have experienced Her in saq. No nonsense, powerful, and direct.

Hethert enjoys poetic speech. Sekhmet is very straightforward. It doesn't mean I can't speak directly to Hethert, and I do, but Sekhmet I wouldn't want to do otherwise.

Rev. Neferu has a website specifically about Hethert. Checking it out might give you some more information.

As others have said She (Sekhmet) loves fiercely.  She is a lioness protecting Her young. Hethert can be fierce too, but She can also be placid.

I will think about your question. It is very interesting. Please feel free to reach out to me if you want more details.

Senebty,

Ibi

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: November 23, 2016, 11:48:42 pm by Awibemhethert »
Awibemhethert
Sat Hethert-Sekhmet
meryt Wesir

Self-Care Hethert Keeper

Online Senuwierneheh

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2016, 09:26:24 am »
Em Hotep, Ushedi!

I'm not really able to speak of experiences of Sekhmet-Hethert, I'll let her kids speak to that.  As I experience Hethert-Sekhmet, she is boundless love and joy, and is all-embracing of her children.  She is gentle, but when those she loves are unjustly injured, then she feels the rage and becomes as Sekhmet in order to protect them.  (As I sense it, It is not her basic nature, it's exhausting to her, rather like when an introvert has to play at being extroverted for extended periods.  But necessity calls for it.) When those she loves are at last safe, Hethert returns to her joyful, calm nature.

I hope someday to experience Sekhmet in Saq.  I'm thinking she must be very extroverted and gain strength from her work achieving justice.  When justice is achieved, then she can shout the joyful shouts of celebration.

I also find myself unable to do Senut as often as I'd like or need. Between hectic schedules and sometimes not feeling well... Meanwhile I find a short visit to the shrine for a simple water offering, brief prayer (some days a little more lengthy) and a closing little song helpful to maintain that connection.  Even if all I can do is pass by the shrine and pause for a quick 'dua', whatever I can do is enriching.

Senebty,
Neheh...
« Last Edit: November 24, 2016, 09:57:39 am by Senuwierneheh »
Senuwierneheh (My Two, forever)
Sat Hethert-Sekhmet her Set, meryt Ptah-Sokar-Wesir, Djehuty, her Heru-Wer
Self-care Hethert, Set and Ptah Advocate
𓁥 𓁣 𓁰

Offline Asetzeresi

• Shemsu
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2016, 11:01:52 am »
Since receiving my RPD, I'd say Sekhmet-Hethert is the loudest beloved, aside from Amun-Ra. In particular, Sekhmet and i, too didn't have much of any relationship  beforehand.
Too me Sekhmet is the fire of passion that can burn you up or light a fire under your a**. The part of any inspiration or knowledge that then requires you to act on it. She also embodies the important contrast to peace and harmony-destruction and chaos, which sounds awful, but plays an important role in a world where our current human experiential template, or understanding of it is one of dualistic forces.....the contrasting forces allow us to better grasp that which we DO want by having something to compare it to. Its about gratitude and balance...that something good can come out of anything and everything.
With Hethert, I am still in my infancy of understanding. She takes joy in beauty- and beauty is in everything, not just what is outwardly pleasing to the senses, and as such, Hethert is in all things when you can connect with it in a joyous manner.
Asetzeresi (Aset Awakens Me)
Sat Aset-Serqet, meryt Sekhmet-Hethert, Amun-Ra, her Bast.

Online Ushedimuti

• Shemsu
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2016, 04:21:53 pm »
Forgive me, every one, I completely forgot I posted this.

But, I wanted to tell everyone that your answers have helped me, a lot. I have a better understanding of Mama Sekhmet now, and She seems pleased with my efforts to understand Her (and has brought me comfort in these past couple of weeks).

I still have a lot to learn, but I feel more comfortable with Her. Thank you.
Ushedimuti | "My Mothers address me." | formerly kissed_by_fire

{ Sat Sekhmet-Hethert her Mafdet, meryt Set!
Self-Care Sekhmet Supporter / Advocate | Self-Care Set Keeper
daughter-of-the-red-land.tumblr.com }

Offline kathleen

• Remetj
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2017, 02:47:01 am »
I've always felt that "Sekhmet" is very prominent in my life and very close to me (and in fact is the One who has insisted that I maintain a basic connection with the House), but I do seem to experience Her differently (gentler) than many do, so I have begun to suspect that if I were to be divined, the Name I'm actually getting might in fact be Hethert-Sekhmet.  (I get a decidedly "soft" version of Sekhmet despite feeling the most drawn to Her lioness aspect).  For simplicity's sake, because I, too, have trouble wrapping my mind around the ways the Names can combine, I've always just thought of Her as Sekhmet and have never felt any disapproval from Her.  Nevertheless, I am feeling more open and receptive to Her Hethert side recently than I have been in the past (to be honest, I was resistant to Her association with cows for a long time) and willing now to learn more about this side of Her. 
Redheads are descended from cats. --Mark Twain

Offline Awibemhethert

• W'ab Priest (Lay Clergy) - New Members Bak
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2017, 02:51:13 pm »
Em hotep, kathleen!

Do you have any specific questions about Hethert-Sekhmet? There are a number of her children around who I am sure would be happy to answer questions.

Senebty,

Ibi
Awibemhethert
Sat Hethert-Sekhmet
meryt Wesir

Self-Care Hethert Keeper

Offline Gezausenu

• Shemsu
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2017, 07:35:02 am »
Kathleen, I also feel the urge to chip in. As a Sekhmet-kid, I also experience a gentler side to Her. I don't think it rules out, either way, whether you're getting Her Hethert or Sekhmet side--but it's not unheard of for Mama Sekhmet to adopt a softer approach, depending on one's situation/circumstances/etc. Sometimes I think the Gods know us better than we know ourselves, and so whatever They show to us or how we experience Them is largely born from what They know we need (which may or may not conflict with what we think we need). Ergo, you could get a gentle, maternal Sekhmet, which is usually how I experience Her, although I also tend to get a "quieter" Sekhmet as well. Some folks get quite the opposite. Strangely, though, I've never gotten a sense of Her concretely as Hethert.

Anyway, I always appreciate your questions. <3 Thank you for sharing them.

Senebty,
Gezausenu.
~Favored of Two~ (Please don't call me Gezau for short; thank you!)
Meset Set her Sekhmet
Meryt Ptah, Djehuty, her Heru-Wer
"Let your bending in the Archer's hand be for gladness." - Kahlil Gibran
they / them / their / themself

Offline kathleen

• Remetj
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2017, 12:27:44 am »
... it's not unheard of for Mama Sekhmet to adopt a softer approach, depending on one's situation/circumstances/etc. Sometimes I think the Gods know us better than we know ourselves, and so whatever They show to us or how we experience Them is largely born from what They know we need (which may or may not conflict with what we think we need). Ergo, you could get a gentle, maternal Sekhmet, which is usually how I experience Her, although I also tend to get a "quieter" Sekhmet as well. Some folks get quite the opposite.

:)

She's not quiet with me, but She's usually gentle.  She has on occasion shown me Her fiercer side, and once just recently, in fact.  But I was deserving of it.   

What complicates (or possibly simplifies?) my understanding of Hethert is that She and Bast have so much in common, if I'm understanding/remembering correctly, that They were known as essentially the Northern and Southern versions of each other? 

Bast was the first Name to make Herself known to me, and She introduced me to Sekhmet, and where Bast ends and Sekhmet begins has ever since then been fairly murky in my mind.  It occurred to me recently that maybe Hethert's presence could be at least a partial explanation for this. 
Redheads are descended from cats. --Mark Twain

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 2521
  • stats Total Posts: 265566
  • stats Total Topics: 17682
  • stats Total Categories: 8
  • stats Total Boards: 98
  • stats Most Online: 182
anything