collapse collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 30
  • Dot Hidden: 1
  • Dot Users: 4
  • Dot Users Online:

Author Topic: Divination  (Read 95 times)

Offline Gleb

• Remetj
Divination
« on: April 20, 2017, 02:38:07 am »
Em Hotep everyone! :)

I apologize in advance if a thread about divination already exists or if I put it in the wrong section..

So umm I wonder if the ancient egyptians had any ways of predicting the future events somehow. Right now I try to focus on the weather and clairvoyance to predict what kind of period in life is going to come soon. Still have some work to do, as always.

Any ideas?

Senebty,
Gleb

Offline Sedjfaiemitui

• Shemsu
Re: Divination
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2017, 03:22:27 am »
Em hotep nefer, Gleb!

Ancient Egyptians employed a number of the same divinatory methods as neighboring Mesopotamian peoples did, such as interpreting omens from celestial phenomena, and oracular dream incubation. None of these things were / are so much a means of "predicting the future" as they were / are "if P, then Q" conditional possibilities the future may have held for the person(s) involved. Like most Mesopotamian cultures, Ancient Egyptian culture(s) didn't perceive fate as a fixed and inexorable end, nor the actions and possibilities of all mankind predetermined by the positions of the stars in the Heavens and so on. Fate was considered alterable to some degree, dependent upon human understanding and human action, and of course the beneficence of [God].

I hope this helps!

Senebty,
Sedjfai
Sat Set her Amun-Re-Banebdjedet
Meryt Wesir-Herishef her Heru-Wer

"Do not be weary of calling to [God]. He has His hour for listening to the scribe."
- Instructions of Ankhsheshonqy

Offline Gleb

• Remetj
Re: Divination
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2017, 09:41:22 am »
Thanks, Sedj! ^_^ Well yeah... I read somewhere that details can be changed even if the bigger picture doesn't change much. Don't know how true it is though. Thanks for your input ^_^
Senebty,
Gleb

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 2374
  • stats Total Posts: 256807
  • stats Total Topics: 17072
  • stats Total Categories: 8
  • stats Total Boards: 97
  • stats Most Online: 182