Register
collapse collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 54
  • Dot Hidden: 1
  • Dot Users: 1

There aren't any users online.

Author Topic: Bast, Yinepu, and Djehuty in regards to (legal) recreational Mairjuana  (Read 589 times)

Offline Banoub

Though I am aware that Marijuana discussion may just be uncomfortable to some, but the use of recreational Marijuana has become officially legal in my state at the beginning of the 2017 Gregorian year, and recently oneself has been dabbling in the use of it with my mother, as having a "smoke buddy" seems to help her deal with the pain of having her father (my grandfather) dying of brain cancer.

But, during my time I've felt that perhaps certain Netjeru disapprove of the usage as I've gotten a few discerning chills down my spine (so to speak) and discomforting and seemingly negative random posts on other message forums I frequent regarding marijuana usage.

What I've been wondering is how the specific Netjeru mentioned above think of Marijuana usage. Because I often get the feeling that Bast and Djehuty disapprove of it, but Yinepu accepts it.

Your thoughts, experiences, and insights maybe?

Offline Sekhepenaset

• Shemsu
I've never tried marijuana and I'm not interested in it outside of medicinal use. 

But, personally, I think the Netjeru might have a problem with how you're using marijuana vs marijuana itself.  Something about using it with your mom seems a little off to me.  It seems like a bad way for her to cope with what she's feeling/experiencing regarding her father's death.  In my opinion, she's really not dealing with it.  Just distracting herself from it and per impression, indirectly relying on you for her comfort.  I don't know why I think that but that's the way it comes off in this kind of situation.  I'm not saying she's using you or anything like that.  Just, personally, I would never smoke weed with my child...even if they were an adult. 
Senebty -
Sekhep

Sa Aset-Serqet
Mery Wesir her Bast

Offline sunlight_dapple

• Remetj
Banoub, what if it is a question of a personal responsibility and your own choice? Same goes for healthy/unhealthy eating, alcohol, whatever. Why should it be addressed to the Gods? I am not telling it should be so or so, let just think of Ma'at first. Does consuming marijuana make you better? worse? No. It is just the way you behave and the responsibility you take.
I guess there should be people who know from their own experience about such things, who speak to their Parents daily. Maybe they could give you better insight on this topic.

Sekhepenaset, I am sorry but why did you comment on how someone's mom behave? Isn't it her own business?
“Sorrow, keeping me sane, you turn my nights into days. I love your beautiful anger” - IAMX

Offline Taji

• Shemsu-Ankh
I thought this was going to be another Bast, goddess of cannabis post.

I'm so thrilled to have been wrong.

I have no experience with cannabis or netjer and cannabis.  But I do think it makes sense to look at it the same way you'd look at any other mind altering thing.

Yinepu is a god of the in between spaces.  He's between life and death.  Sanity and madness.  I think He would perhaps be interested in substances that facilitate creating those experiences with the in between.  Also, I have found that death gods in general are less concerned about what's healthy vs harmful to put into your body.  Simply because that's an irrelevant thing for the dead.

Tasedjebbastmut, The One Whom Bast-Mut Restores to Life
Fierce | Proud | Strong
Daughter of Bast-Mut | Beloved of Yinepu-Wepwawet, Sekhmet-Hethert, Set, Heru-wer, and Aset-Serqet

Offline Sekhepenaset

• Shemsu
Banoub, what if it is a question of a personal responsibility and your own choice? Same goes for healthy/unhealthy eating, alcohol, whatever. Why should it be addressed to the Gods? I am not telling it should be so or so, let just think of Ma'at first. Does consuming marijuana make you better? worse? No. It is just the way you behave and the responsibility you take.
I guess there should be people who know from their own experience about such things, who speak to their Parents daily. Maybe they could give you better insight on this topic.

Sekhepenaset, I am sorry but why did you comment on how someone's mom behave? Isn't it her own business?

Because this person is trying to understand their particular Netjer feels and I was pointing out something in the situation that seemed off as a possibility.  Doesn't mean I'm right.  I was pointing out possibilities.  Because something really does seem off about smoking weed with your child and living in a perspective of, "do whatever you want and act however you want because it's no one's business to say anything" is not how I live my life.  And it's not how you live yours either if you comment on my behavior as not being appropriate. 

And because, honestly, I don't feel like the Netjeru would have a problem with someone using weed recreationally...as long it's done in moderation and not used to distract from something else.  Similar to how I think the Netjer don't care if you're promiscuous or enjoy drinking...as long as you're not putting yourself/others in danger or disarray, I don't think They mind.  That's the only thing that sticks out as odd and that's why I said something.   

But honestly, do it on PM.  Talk with me on PM about it.  I will not do this in someone else's thread again.  Not even my own.  If you have a problem or want to say something, PM.  It doesn't have a place in someone else's thread. 

Senebty -
Sekhep

Sa Aset-Serqet
Mery Wesir her Bast

Offline Sedjfaiemitui

• Shemsu
Though I am aware that Marijuana discussion may just be uncomfortable to some, but the use of recreational Marijuana has become officially legal in my state at the beginning of the 2017 Gregorian year, and recently oneself has been dabbling in the use of it with my mother, as having a "smoke buddy" seems to help her deal with the pain of having her father (my grandfather) dying of brain cancer.

But, during my time I've felt that perhaps certain Netjeru disapprove of the usage as I've gotten a few discerning chills down my spine (so to speak) and discomforting and seemingly negative random posts on other message forums I frequent regarding marijuana usage.

What I've been wondering is how the specific Netjeru mentioned above think of Marijuana usage. Because I often get the feeling that Bast and Djehuty disapprove of it, but Yinepu accepts it.

Your thoughts, experiences, and insights maybe?

Em hotep nefer, Banoub!

It's important to note two things:

1.) The Netjeru love and care for us, but They are not involved in every single little thing we do, like, dress in, have at tea time, etc.

2.) Like many drugs, even some as banal as Prednisone, the THC in cannabis can produce drug-induced psychotic symptoms in users / patients (these are temporary effects, mercifully). These include paranoid delusions and hallucinations. That you feel a creeping sense of fear about something when consuming it is a widely-documented phenomenon. I sincerely doubt the Netjeru "hate" you or disapprove of you personally for using it. I think the infinitely more likely, prosaic explanation is that you are experiencing negative side effects from this drug.

I hope this helps!

Senebty,
Sedjfai
Sat Set her Amun-Re-Banebdjedet
Meryt Wesir-Herishef her Heru-Wer

"Do not be weary of calling to [God]. He has His hour for listening to the scribe."
- Instructions of Ankhsheshonqy

Offline Djehutyendy

• Shemsu
Em hotep, Banoub!

Like others have said, I can't imagine why any Names of Netjer would have a problem with you using marijuana legally. The feeling you are having could be stemming from something else, like what others have suggested. But if you aren't feeling 100% comfortable using it, then it would make sense to me that Netjer might be telling you to reconsider your actions. Otherwise, this should be a fun experience. I enjoy grabbing a beer or two with my mom, and I don't see why this would be anything different.

Senebty,
Endy
Djehutyendy -- Djehuty is here

Daughter of Djehuty and Beloved of Hethert-Sekhmet and Geb

Offline Riley.rifle

• Remetj
Em hotep,

I get the feeling that how Netjer views would be dependent on how society views it. I don't think that entirely influences how Netjer looks at cannabis use. I think we have to look at substance use in the framework of ma'at. Does it influence your behavior negatively? We already know that the laws in your area allow for its use. Could the negative feelings you're having be lingering guilt from prohibition? I don't think Netjer would look down on substance use unless it was causing a problem in your life. I think Netjer is more tolerant than we could imagine. Humans are rather judgmental creatures. Ultimately what you do is on you. I doubt that the powers that be really care about much as far as our actions go. (It's all about compassion, but that's another thread.)

Senebty,
Leaha
🙌☀
Dua Ra!
Dua Netjer!
~_^

Offline Gezausenu

• Shemsu
I'd also heartily suggest just sitting down with Djehuty and Bast and asking Them. I don't know what your relationship is with Them (or Yinepu, for that matter), but it might be worth seeing if They have anything to say to you.

Frankly, I think what you and your mom are doing is entirely up to the both of you. Neither condemnation nor condonation here. (Sometimes things happen that people aren't equipped to deal with on their own. I'm one of the first to grant that. If this is what your mother needs for this particular point in time to get through this situation . . . there you go.)

Now, whatever the Gods may think of it--again, to echo others, Ma'at isn't a static blanket that covers all our lives the same. Ma'at as a principle is something in motion: what wouldn't be Ma'at in one situation might, in another, be. So, is smoking legal cannabis against Ma'at? I doubt it, any more than drinking the occasional glass of wine or, let's see, downing too many shots of espresso (my vice) as long as no harm is coming to yourself, or to others. But, again, it's a very personal and situational thing, so my "I doubt it" doesn't signify much.

Many prayers and deep peace to you both as you traverse this difficult time. When in doubt, speaking from experience, ask the Gods. They'll find a way to answer you that you'll understand.

Senebty,
Gezausenu.
~Favored of Two~ (Please don't call me Gezau for short; thank you!) <3
Meset Set her Sekhmet.
Meryt Ptah, Djehuty, her Heru-Wer.
"I’ll send a storm to capture your heart and bring you home." - Phildel, "Storm Song"
they / them / their / themself

Offline Tjemsy

• Shemsu
I am sorry for your loss, friend. May your grandfather's ka be justified.

Because your mother is in a vulnerable position right now, and because she is both an authority figure and a loved one, I might be concerned that you would in a sense feel obligated to smoke with her. That said, I don't know your mother or your relationship with her. If this information is helpful to you, great, and if it's totally irrelevant, than that's all the better. I'd just hate to not say anything and find out later that it would have mattered, you know?

I don't smoke, so I don't really have any advice on that. I think everyone's situation is unique, and your NTR will probably be able to answer your questions on this better than we can. I know that Kemetics-at-large have offered the act of smoking/the energy from the high to NTR before, and that it has been accepted without complaint. Whether that has ever happened in KO, I couldn't say.
Tjemsy - "Two Red Ones"
formerly rainbowrosepetals

Sekhmet & Set Self-Care Keeper | Taweret & Wepwawet Self-Care Advocate

Sat Sekhmet her Set
Meryt Heru-wer, Bast, Wepwawet, Taweret, & Nebthet

Offline Salqu

Basically everyone has said it, I don't really need to add much more.

The Gods don't really mind Cannabis use, some, as far as I understand, tend to enjoy recieving it as an offering sometimes (Yinepu) but like with everything, moderation is required, and your mother needs to learn to cope on her on strength, otherwise she could easily form a dependance on it, and that is never healthy. If she learns to cope without it, it will be better for her in the long run.

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 2395
  • stats Total Posts: 258600
  • stats Total Topics: 17214
  • stats Total Categories: 8
  • stats Total Boards: 97
  • stats Most Online: 182
anything