Register
collapse collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 42
  • Dot Hidden: 1
  • Dot Users: 7
  • Dot Users Online:

Author Topic: Non-blood Akhu?  (Read 1142 times)

Offline Rehenhersenu

• Shemsu
Non-blood Akhu?
« on: May 28, 2017, 09:34:48 pm »
Em hotep all!

I have a question about the akhu. I know the akhu honored are our ancestors by blood, but I was wondering what the stance on honoring historical figures as 'akhu' is. For example, I honor and have been growing very close to my akhu of my indigenous Huancavilca-Mantenño heritage. But I have a deep love and appreciation for figures like Frida Kahlo, who's art and story inspired me at a young age and has stayed with me. I have always kept her photo and small tea light candles in my room in honor of her. Or another example, the two legendary figures Guayas and Quil who killed themselves rather than subject to Spanish rule, giving the name of Guayaquil to the city of my family. By blood they are not related to me, but historically they've offered significant impact to my family. Would this be considered veneration of akhu?

Sorry if this doesn't make much sense? It's a pretty scrambled question.
Sat Sobek her Taweret ,
Meryt Hethert-Sekhmet, Set, Yinepu-Wepwawet, Khnum, Wesir, her Khepera

(Rehenhersenu- "Relies on Two")

Offline ubenetsenu

• Shemsu-Ankh
Re: Non-blood Akhu?
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2017, 10:09:16 pm »
yes, our akhu can include people we weren't blood-related to :) we have temple akhu, and a lot of people have special relationships with kemetic akhu they met through museums, for example, and i have a rainbow fluorite angel in my akhu shrine for my queer "ancestors," as well as an ambulance for the people who died in my care as an EMT.
ubenetsenu - "two appear shining"
sat Sekhmet-Mut her Khonsu
meryt Wesir her Serqet-Aset
𓁴𓁳
tarot and heka by request

Offline Neshnytyinepu

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2017, 12:00:01 pm »
Non-blood Akhu can absolute be venerated! Chosen family is just as and for some people more important than their blood family. Plus Temple Akhu and others are non-blood.

Tsar Nikolai II and his immediate family are on my Akhu shrine, due to their historical  influence on my family and the fact that I grew up hearing about him from my mother as "our tsar". I also venerate my queer forbearers as well.

Отправлено с моего iPhone используя Tapatalk
Neshnytyinepu (Neshnyt) "Yinepu's Storm"
Sa Yinepu-Wepwawet, mery Nut her Set
Self-Care Yinepu Advocate
I dare to dwell in beauty, balance, and delight. I dare to see with clear eyes and an open heart.

Online Tjemsy

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2017, 11:00:02 am »
I know some people who venerate deceased famous people who were impactful on their lives, too. Albert Einstein, Robin Williams, etc. ^^;
Tjemsy - "Two Red Ones"
formerly rainbowrosepetals

Sat Sekhmet her Set
Meryt Heru-wer, Bast, Wepwawet, Taweret, & Nebthet

Offline Sonebiyinepu

• Shemsu
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2017, 09:15:05 pm »
em hotep,

I have a non-blood Akhu, a person I knew for a bit over 4 years before she passed from a brain tumor. She was in the 60s ish (I never asked her age haha)? and treated me like the child she never had, my Akhu shrine mostly has things from her since I do not know my extended family that much and no one has passed so it's basically for her and the Akhu I do not know the names of. I totally think you can have Akhu that's not blood related, people who have deeply touched your life.

senebty,
Sonebi
Sonebiyinepu "Yinepu heals me" - Sat Yinepu-Wepwawet meryt Amun-Ra

tumblr : kemetic-worship

they/them

Offline Maretemheqat

• Rev Shauna - Ordained Clergy
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2017, 12:38:37 pm »
Em Hotep Rehenhersenu!

Yes, absolutely, you can have non-blood Akhu in your akhu shrine. I have a few myself. The key is to approach it from a place of respect and make sure you ask them if its ok, even more so if they're your Indigenous akhu.

I've found that some of my Indigenous non-blood Akhu were not wanting me to honour them as I did with others, because of the belief they held in life. Some Indigenous peoples believe that if you dwell too much on those who have made the journey  through the Western Door, that it prevents that person from joining with the Star People. Its always best to talk to them and ask if they want to be honoured, or if they might want something else.

I know my Métis non-blood Akhu ask that I put tobacco ties down for them when I want to remember them, as an example, and there are some that have asked that I simply let them go.

Senebty!
~Rev. Mesetibes
Rev. Mesetibes
Sat Heqat, meryt Djehuti her Ptah her Heru-wer
Fedw Diviner
2011 Wep Ronpet Frog Princess/
W'abet Nekhen Sha'a Sha'at Imef

Offline Typhonian

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2017, 11:37:57 pm »
Non-blood Akhu can absolute be venerated! Chosen family is just as and for some people more important than their blood family. Plus Temple Akhu and others are non-blood.

Tsar Nikolai II and his immediate family are on my Akhu shrine, due to their historical  influence on my family and the fact that I grew up hearing about him from my mother as "our tsar". I also venerate my queer forbearers as well.

Отправлено с моего iPhone используя Tapatalk
That is pretty cool. I used to be fascinated by them as a child. Even read the very lengthy diary of theirs, carried pictures of his daughters and what not.

I'm currently trying to research more about how to honor the Akhu, and get ahold of a picture of someone who was a family friend who passed away years ago. (Unfortunately, it doesn't look very likely to happen)

Offline Temseniaset

• Sema Kau Bak
  • Shemsu
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2017, 11:52:33 pm »
Agree with everyone here, I too have non blood on my akhu, Abraham Lincoln, Ramses the Great and Leonard Nimoy.  All have had a deep impact on my life.
Senebty
Temseniaset,
Sat Aset Serqet
Meryt Wesir Sokar, Yinepu Wepwawet, Khepra, Heru Sa Aset, Ra
Self-Care Aset Advocate, Self-Care Yinepu Keeper

Offline Sedjfaiemitui

• Shemsu
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2017, 02:38:46 am »
Seconding all the above, Akhu who are not blood-relatives are totally eligible and frequently eager to recieve veneration. Some might fall under Divine and/or "national" categories also, like Horemheb and Ramessu II, and thus get different worship-treatment than "regular" Akhu do, but the point still stands.

I consider Nes-Hor and Nes-Min to be "my" Akhu as well as Sebaui (moral-spiritual teachers) despite not being blood-relatives. They were/are two Ancient Egyptian priests from Khent-Min that had been "living" at a museum not terribly far from where I used to live, and first "meeting" them as a child left a significant impression on me and the directions I would later take in life. I didn't realize how important they were to me until well after I converted to Kemeticism and it came time for me to say "goodbye" to their adorned kau a few months before moving across the continent.

Think of it as an adoptove process. Adopted kids have families: the adoptive family that has since taken responsibility for them, and the genetic family they don't live with for whatever reasons. The Ancestors of the adoptive family are now also the given child's Ancestors, in addition to their (often unknown) Ancestors-by-blood. Family consists of more than mere genetic relation, although genetic relation is the basic building block of "what a family is." People who never lived with a family other than their own genetic family can also "make" family and get attached to someone else's more direct Ancestors in the bargain. It can go a number of ways -- you can "adopt" Akhu who aren't your father's fathers and your mother's mothers, and/or they can "adopt" you, and so on.

I'm pretty sure I was the one who "adopted" Nes-Hor and Nes-Min, and that they didn't adopt me first or entirely mutually (I'd need divinations done to know for sure, ha), but it's not by any measure less of a legitimate situation just because "personal choice" is involved. Indeed, a person has to choose to venerate their Akhu-by-blood at all in the first place. It's all predicated on personal choices. ;)

I hope this helps!
Senebty!
Sedjfai
« Last Edit: July 15, 2017, 02:40:45 am by Sedjfaiemitui »
"Endowed by Two Fathers"
Sat Set her Amun-Re-Banebdjedet
Meryt Wesir-Herishef, Heru-Wer, her Yinepu
𓃫𓃞 𓀱𓁡 𓅄 𓃤

Offline Senuwierneheh

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2017, 11:20:11 am »
I'm chiming in, too.  I have an image of Seti I on my Akhu shrine, along with the others.  This is a very interesting thread!

Senebty,
Neheh...
Senuwierneheh (My Two, forever)
Sat Hethert-Sekhmet her Set, meryt Ptah-Sokar-Wesir, Djehuty, her Heru-Wer
Self-care Hethert, Set and Ptah Advocate
𓁥 𓁣 𓁰

Offline Slhgran7

• Beginner
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2017, 04:19:55 pm »
I have many pictures of deities (non blood) and blood above my shrine, I didn't really know how to do this I just used my imagination. I don't know if my set up is right or how to go about venerating but I guess I will learn.

Offline Meresinepu

• Rev. Meres - Ordained Clergy
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2017, 05:00:15 pm »
Em hotep all,

This is a great thread :) 

We most definitely need to have more open discussions about our loved ones that have passed to the West.  I love hearing about everyone's Akhu and the stories that go with them.  Sharing your stories and memories keep our loved ones alive and their spirits fed and respected (I believe that).

In regard to whom you want to put in your shrine(s), that is a very personal and individual decision.  Just because the person was directly related to you does not mean that they automatically should be or will be placed in your shrine(s).  For example, if the deceased person may have caused you hurt, shame or other while they were alive, you have the choice to forgive them and if that is so, it is your call whether you want to put them in your shrine.   Honoring a deceased person is just that ...regardless if they are related to you or not.   

And for all the others that are not blood or otherwise directly connected to you, you are still welcome to put them in your shrines.   For the akhu/friends/loved ones/teachers/mentors, that you put in your shrines, the reason why they are there is for you alone to know.   You are not required to give any explanation of why or why not you chose to add or not add someone to your shrine. 

I love anything to do with the Akhu and setting up the shrines to honor and remember them.  When I do my weekly prayers to my Akhu and others, I say every time, for my Akhu known and unknown, I will remember and honor you for as long as I’m alive.  I invite them on a weekly basis to come and talk to me if they are wanting to know me or if there is something I can help them with.   

For me it’s very personal and I’ve offered my service to Yinepu to serve Him and the Dead and the Dying as it’s very important to me to bring back into the living as to why and how we honor and respect and care for our deceased.

Senebty!

Meres   
Rev. Meresinepu [She loves Yinepu]
Sat Yinepu/Wepwawet, meryt Amun her Bast her Aset her HetHert

"Gone am I, caught by the Underworld, yet cleansed and alive in the beyond." (from an Old Kingdom funerary text)

Offline Ankhetbast

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2017, 02:26:21 am »
I consider Rembrandt van Rijn a national akhu.  Though if I get an ancestral DNA test, and it shows I don't have any Dutch, I would still honor him as an adopted akhu.  I have also adopted John Lennon as an akh. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
~~~~Ankhetbast~~~~

Sat Bast her Hekatawy I (AUS), Meryt Serqet, Yinepu her HetHert

"Be excellent to each other." ~Bill and Ted

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 2521
  • stats Total Posts: 265567
  • stats Total Topics: 17682
  • stats Total Categories: 8
  • stats Total Boards: 98
  • stats Most Online: 182