collapse collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 52
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 6
  • Dot Users Online:

Author Topic: Objects as mediums?  (Read 175 times)

Offline EMECOR

Objects as mediums?
« on: July 11, 2017, 11:45:05 pm »
So, this is an odd question. Bear with me while I try to articulate this.

There is a painting above my bed that I recently received at an auction in support of an organization I care deeply about. It was painted by one of the longtime members of the group, and he served as a mentor to me during my time there.

I hadn't hung it up until now because I knew I would be moving and wanted it safely kept in storage. Now that it's up, it seems to evoke a warm presence that was there even before I reopened the shrine in my new house. Then last night, I saw the painting in a dream acting as a spiritual medium by which the Gods could speak.

Without getting into dream interpretation since I know we don't do that here, I'm wondering if this picture may actually have these properties. I spoke to the Netjer about it in Senut tonight letting Them know I would keep a lookout for it as a sign of a message from Them if it appeared in a dream or vision.

Am I way off base here, or has anyone else had similar experiences with non-spiritual objects?

Offline A'Aqytsekhmet

• Fundraising Bak
  • W'ab Priest - Lay Clergy
Re: Objects as mediums?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2017, 11:56:22 pm »
Art is a little different than other objects. As I understand it, the ancients believed art could effect life in a very real way. Images of people, spirits, animals can all have a power of their own. So I would not say it's not spiritual.

As someone that create paintings I can say that it is a time consuming process. And whether you mean to or not your own preferences and heart shows in your work.

About a year ago I decided to paint my line-up. All to match as a series to hang in my office. After they were done I set them aside until I could properly hang them. I began to notice that no matter where I moved in the room all 6 pairs of eyes followed me. That is an art technique but i could feel something behind it too. An amusement at being noticed and the reactions from that.

Bottom line: yes, paintings can become tools that are used by spirit/gods to connect with us.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2017, 11:58:22 pm by A'Aqytsekhmet »
Sat Sekhmet her Hekatawy Alexandros (AUS)
Meryt Sobek-Ra, Yinepu, Nebthet, Nefertem, her Wenut
Fedw Diviner
Self-Care Sekhmet Advocate
Zazzle Shop - Blog - Patreon

Offline Tamiwi

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2017, 01:13:38 pm »
I agree with A'Aqytsekhmet, as images of the Gods were used so much in practice that they become Images of them. Even the Icons themselves are art, in a sense, and become ways in which we can communicate with them.

I also like to add the perspective that maybe Netjer is speaking with you via the painting as a way to connect with the message the bearer meant when they painted it. Since it's connected with a human being and not Netjer itself, you could interpret it as a symbol they want you to take something away from that connects the two of you together. This could be via the painting, or it could be with your connection to the person that painted it. Maybe they want you to recall the meaning of the group or the messages during the mentorship you received.
W'abet Nekhen Miu Wer
Sat Bast her Ra her Hekatawy I (AUS)
*Meryt Hethert-Sekhmet her Heru-Sa-Aset*
Fedw Diviner

Offline EMECOR

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2017, 12:59:24 am »
Thank you for the responses! This has given me much to think about.

Offline Slhgran7

• Beginner
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2017, 04:26:13 pm »
Hello, I have also purchased from a yard-sale for wall figures of what I suspect to be of several deities at lease I'm sure of one being a deity and don't know his name "yet". I'm hoping these statues will evoke a spiritual presence within my home as long as I'm not hurt in anyway.

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 2418
  • stats Total Posts: 260078
  • stats Total Topics: 17306
  • stats Total Categories: 8
  • stats Total Boards: 97
  • stats Most Online: 182
anything