Register
collapse collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Devotional Activities Discussion :)  (Read 853 times)

Offline Padememheru

• Shemsu
Devotional Activities Discussion :)
« on: August 06, 2017, 01:40:54 pm »
Em Hotep everyone.  I hope y'all are having a fantastic day so far.  I just wanted to step in and ask a question.  What are some good devotional activities for the Netjer aside from Senut?  So far I've just been going by feeling, especially when it comes to my Papa, but I thought it would be fun to open a discussion about some activities that They like us to do for Them.

I know for example, that Djehuty really likes it when work on my creative endeavors such as writing or even just reading about history if I do it in His name.

For Aset anything magic related such as ritual and Senut is definitely my go-to for Her.

For Gods like Set and Sobek, acts of courage definitely go a long way for Them in my experience.

But for Netjer like Nut, or even my Papa Heru-sa-Aset I'm sometimes unsure of what activities They'd like.

So, if you have any stories to share, please feel free to do so.  I'd love to hear what everyone has to say and hope you guys enjoy this topic too.  :)
"Faith is the bird that feels the light when the dawn is still dark." - Rabindranath Tagore

Padememheru ~The One Mentioned by Heru~
Sa Heru-sa-Aset (or Heru-Nedjitef)
Mery Set, Aset-Serqet, his Nut

Online Anaputuwet

Re: Devotional Activities Discussion :)
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2017, 03:27:39 pm »
Em hotep!

A good default for any Netjer is volunteering! I've been volunteering at a cat shelter for about a year now in Khonsu's honour, and since I love it there, we both get something positive out of it.

Another default would be learning about Them and the kinds of things They work with! For Nut, you might want to learn about the constellations and go stargazing now and then. For Heru-sa-Aset, I'd suggest getting up to date with world politics, but most people aren't a fan of that idea. Instead, you could learn about the history of the country He ruled over, Egypt. Or learn about birds. Birds are really super cool. It's also in my personal experience that He drinks a lot of coffee, so maybe spend some time figuring out how to make the perfect cup.

Anything can be a devotional activity as long as you're spending time and energy on it. Even doing something nice for yourself can be a devtional activity!

In the end, make sure its something you'll BOTH enjoy. And it'd be even better if it was something you could invite your god to do WITH you! Like excersicing, reading, singing, cleaning, etc. You get stuff done and bond with your deities, which is pretty rad.

I hope at least some of this helps! Good luck!! 💚
Ra | Khonsu | Set

Offline Padememheru

• Shemsu
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2017, 03:43:34 pm »
Em Hotep Anapu.  Thanks for the reply.  Your suggestions are great.  I love the volunteering idea and hadn't even thought of that.  And I can see the politics thing for Heru-sa-Aset for sure.

If anyone wants to chime go ahead.  I'd love to more ideas.
"Faith is the bird that feels the light when the dawn is still dark." - Rabindranath Tagore

Offline Hearthfire8

• Divined Remetj
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2017, 05:21:24 pm »
I'm knitting for Geb, working on a green and black scarf right now. I'll probably give it away here after it's done :)
Child of Geb and Nut, Beloved of Sekhmet-Mut
"I move about within the Two"/Wenuni for short
They/them
wenuni.tumblr.com

Offline Shezep_shuty

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2017, 08:25:33 pm »
I'm also a child of Heru-sa-Aset, and I'd say have fun! Things don't have to be so dang serious all the time. Dance, sing, ride a bike, kick butt in a video game, kick butt in a martial art. Spend time enjoying your family and friends. Do the kinds of things that remind you that life is worth living. Smile every now and then. Look for the beauty. Look for the love.
Kemetic Mystic
Heru-sa-Aset is my copilot.

Offline Sobeqsenu

• Rev. Sobeq - Ordained Clergy
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2017, 12:18:44 am »
It's going to be different for everyone to some extent, I think. For me, I associate driving with my Father. Any time I take a long trip I feel closer to Him. For my Mother, I associate anything with healing -- especially volunteer work.

I also associate going to concerts with my Father - dancing and singing along, and experiencing life to its fullest.

I know some people associate Sobek with physical activity, especially exercise.

I'm looking forward to seeing what everyone else associates with our gods!
Rev. Sobeqsenu
Priest of Wepwawet and Sekhmet-Mut
Beloved of Bast, Nut, Khonsu, and Nebt-het
W'ab Nekhen Ib Imau-sen | Heri-sesheta Wepwawet

Offline Padememheru

• Shemsu
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2017, 10:11:24 am »
Very true Sobeq.  Exactly why I made this thread, because I knew the answers would be so varied, but I also wanted to see which ones would be similar.  :)

Offline Ankhetbast

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2017, 12:40:29 pm »
Bast likes me to be available for people to vent their emotions to.  I did volunteer for a local animal shelter when I was able, and she liked that.  She wants me to create!  Keeping the finished piece is fine, but giving it away is an additional level of devotion.  Self care is also very much an act of devotion.

I find the biggest thing is to be in a state of mindful devotion while performing the activity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
~~~~Ankhetbast~~~~

Sat Bast her Hekatawy I (AUS), Meryt Serqet, Yinepu her HetHert

"Be excellent to each other." ~Bill and Ted

Livejournal
Google+
Book of the Face

Offline Awdjerethethert

• Shemsu
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2017, 02:19:32 am »
I devote my cleaning to the Netjeru as a collective. Cleaning functions as a metaphor for creating ma'at and destroying isfet. Isfet keeps popping up and must be battled and execrated and defeated, day after day. Clutter and grime keep popping up around the house and must be washed away, day after day. When cleaning, I say a prayer referencing this metaphor and praising Netjer.

It occurs to me that I could dedicate devotional cleaning to Ma'at Herself. Perhaps this would be a way to start to get to know her better in her year.
Awdjerethethert, a.k.a. Awdjeret, a.k.a. Pat
Child of Hethert-Sekhmet; beloved of Tefnut and Djehuty

Offline Padememheru

• Shemsu
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2017, 08:15:39 am »
That's an excellent idea Awdjerethethert.  :)

Offline Maretemheqat

• Rev Shauna - Ordained Clergy
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2017, 11:18:33 am »
Em Hotep! *henu*

It depends on the Name I suppose, but....

For Heru-wer, I was devoting my physical activity to Him. Anytime I went for a run, or went to a kendo class, it was devoted to him.

Djheuti was always writing-related devotions, which will more than likely start again once I start writing my Master's thesis this year.

Ptah for me is anything creative, so when I got into making armoured cosplays, a few of them were devoted to him.

Senebty!
~Rev. Mesetibes
Rev. Mesetibes
Sat Heqat, meryt Djehuti her Ptah her Heru-wer
Fedw Diviner
2011 Wep Ronpet Frog Princess/
W'abet Nekhen Sha'a Sha'at Imef

Offline Shenuty

• Shemsu
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2017, 01:08:28 pm »
Em hotep!

I love hearing what everyone does to keep their Gods in mind, it's so heartwarming <3

For me, I knit and crochet, so I'll dedicate those projects to my Gods-- Sokar-Wesir seems to appreciate that the most, in particular.

Long drives with loud (usually off-key) singing keep Set and my Father in mind. And Heru-Wer has been encouraging me to use cleaning and regular self-care as an act for Him, but it's been difficult to make those things a regular and easy occurrence.

And all my Gods get regular devotional writing. <3
Wepwawet-Yinepu
Heru-Wer, Sokar-Wesir, Set
"By the roots of my hair some god got ahold of me.
I sizzled in his blue volts like a desert prophet."
𓃧

Offline Ushedimuti

• Shemsu
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2017, 01:34:59 pm »
Self-care is a huge, huge devotional thing for me right now. That includes knowing my limits, when to take a break, when to say no, showering, feeding myself (especially when it's hard/I don't want to eat), taking my medication, making and going to doctor's appointments, and resting.

Other things can include baking bread (incredibly easy no-knead recipe here!), watering Wesir's plant, driving (especially somewhere unfamiliar, for Set) and singling along to my music, dancing/yoga or taking a small walk when I can manage physical activity, keeping the house clean, putting on makeup or painting my nails (especially for Sekhmet, as She likes the confidence and fierceness it gives me).

edit: oopsed a link

« Last Edit: August 11, 2017, 02:34:23 pm by Ushedimuti »
Ushedimuti | "My Mothers address me." | formerly kissed_by_fire

{ Sat Sekhmet-Hethert her Mafdet, meryt Set!
Self-Care Sekhmet Supporter / Advocate | Self-Care Set Keeper
daughter-of-the-red-land.tumblr.com }

Offline Tamiwi

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2017, 01:49:24 pm »
Em Hotep Everyone!

Great answers so far. I, too, enjoy reading about how people dedicate their time in the name of Netjer. Hearing about Heru-Sa-Aset's less than serious angle, as well as how cleaning can be done for Netjer was pretty awesome. I myself clean regularly and feel as if Netjer highly approves!

I would agree that feeding our Ka (in all of these forms of creating, exercise, leisure activities, volunteering, etc) impacts both how we feel and our connection with the divine. Although Senut and spending time with them in a personal space is amazing, taking them "with you" to give back into the world can be just as powerful. I myself often write in the form of journalism as a way of self-care and mentalism, and I try to be as friendly to people and strangers as possible. Bast wants me to create. Ra wants me to be kind to others. Hethert-Sekhmet wants me to take care of myself and remember to love, and Heru-Sa-Aset does seem to enjoy a balance of work-outs and leisure time. All are very thematic symbols of what all of Netjer seems to want for us--to give and to humbly take in equal shares!
W'abet Nekhen Miu Wer
Sat Bast her Ra her Hekatawy I (AUS)
*Meryt Hethert-Sekhmet her Heru-Sa-Aset*
Fedw Diviner

Offline Padememheru

• Shemsu
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2017, 03:56:04 pm »
Thanks Tamiwi.  I do get that feeling from Heru-sa-Aset as long as I don't overdo it of course on the leisure part.  Everything in moderation as the saying goes.  :)

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 2468
  • stats Total Posts: 264351
  • stats Total Topics: 17569
  • stats Total Categories: 8
  • stats Total Boards: 98
  • stats Most Online: 182