collapse collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 41
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 6
  • Dot Users Online:

Author Topic: What's the Difference? (if any)  (Read 1322 times)

Offline Awibemhethert

• W'ab Priest (Lay Clergy) - New Members Bak
Re: What's the Difference? (if any)
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2017, 09:05:00 pm »
I'm not aware that it matters. My Akhu shrine is on top of the Senut shrine because it's on the top of the cabinet in which the Senut shrine is kept. The cabinet opens and closes, keeping the Senut shrine more private and pure. But on bookshelves? I can see situations for either way. Having the Senut shrine more at eye level and the Akhu shrine less could go either way depending on the bookshelf. Yes, I think it's good to pick whichever location you feel is more respectful for the Senut shrine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Awibemhethert
Sat Hethert-Sekhmet
meryt Wesir

Self-Care Hethert Keeper

Offline Ankhetbast

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2017, 11:45:48 pm »

I've heard this too and have been wanting to set up an arrangement like that for some time so I can have a more permanent Akhu shrine, is there a specific way one should do this like "always place the gods above the akhu" or does it not matter?

I recall it being the opposite.  Akhu at the highest point.  That's how I have mine set up.

sat Bast her Hekatawy-Alexandros, meryt Serqet-Aset, Yinepu-Wepwawet, her HetHert-Sekhmet.
~~~~Ankhetbast~~~~

Sat Bast her Hekatawy I (AUS), Meryt Serqet, Yinepu her HetHert

"Be excellent to each other." ~Bill and Ted

Offline Senuwierneheh

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2017, 08:34:07 am »
If I'm remembering correctly from my beginner lessons, Akhu shrines can be in busy areas of the house, because they like to be where the people are, while Senut shrines need to be in a quiet place with little traffic.  If one's dwelling is tiny, and that can't happen, it ideally could have a door or curtain keeping it private.

And never mix the offerings for the akhu and the living.  I finally got a tiny cup for the sebau, separate from the cup for the akhu. (In addition to their cup at their shrine, I have a cup for the Akhu near the offerings for everyone during Senut.  So there's two little cups, separate, now.  Some of the sebau are not Akhu! 

Always learning...

Senebty,
Neheh...
Senuwierneheh (My Two, forever)
Sat Hethert-Sekhmet her Set, meryt Ptah-Sokar-Wesir, Djehuty, her Heru-Wer
Self-care Hethert, Set and Ptah Advocate
𓁥 𓁣 𓁰

Offline Anya_Azrael

« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2017, 02:04:43 am »
Em hotep <3

Some people have Senut shrines and separate "informal" shrines for purity reasons. If purity is an issue, one might use the informal shrine to avoid needing to repurify the Senut shrine.

Also, there is no Size Requirement for these. Senut shrines don't need to be bigger or more elaborate than informal shrines. And informal shrines, true to their name, can be decorated however you wish. I have also seen and heard of many an informal shrine that does not serve as a place of worship in the same way that one's Senut shrine might. There are desktop shrines and workplace shrines, and shrines scattered throughout the home. Sometimes these are used more as visual reminders of Netjer's presence in our lives than places of prayer.

Meaning there is no regulated use of shrines to Netjeru? Or should there be a formal shrine to Netjer in addition to informal practice?

Offline Gezausenu

• Shemsu
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2017, 05:59:31 am »
(I'd asked a question here and then looked up the answer. Heh.)

The question in question was about mixing libations to Akhu and sebau (i.e. if you just have one bowl for libations in Senut, vs. four small bowls for each libation) . . . because Neheh's post got me to thinking. The answer I found from Rev. Sobeq, at least in the context of Senut, is that it's okay to have one bowl for all of the libations or four separate bowls. So if anybody else is curious about that . . . ^_^

(This having been said, that's just in relation to during Senut; if you offer to your sebau otherwise, as well as your Akhu, Neheh seems spot on to me, for the same reasons as we don't consume offerings given to our Akhu.)

Senebty,
Gezausenu.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 06:24:29 am by Gezausenu »
~Favored of Two~ (Please don't call me Gezau for short; thank you!)
Meset Set her Sekhmet
Meryt Ptah, Djehuty, her Heru-Wer
"Let your bending in the Archer's hand be for gladness." - Kahlil Gibran
they / them / their / themself

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 2521
  • stats Total Posts: 266213
  • stats Total Topics: 17725
  • stats Total Categories: 8
  • stats Total Boards: 98
  • stats Most Online: 182
anything