collapse collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 35
  • Dot Hidden: 1
  • Dot Users: 6
  • Dot Users Online:

Author Topic: Nefertem  (Read 356 times)

Offline Celeste913

Nefertem
« on: August 27, 2017, 03:33:32 pm »
I was reading the Ptah thread and remembered that I had questions about Nefertem. I think these questions are more theological and there many not be a clear answer, but I thought I would see what others think. My first question is about his origin. There are two stories regarding his birth. One is that he emerged from the mound of creation and the other is that he is the son of Ptah and Sekhmet.

Does Kemetic Orthodoxy support one story or the other?

If not, do you you think it is possible it could be some combination of the two stories?

The second question I had emerged when I looked Nefertem up (to make sure I didn't spell his name wrong as no topics came up on Netjer's search engine). I found lots of pictures of King Tut as Nefertem. Do you think they made them because he was a child or to symbolize a rebirth from Atenism?

Offline Zanders

• Remetj
Re: Nefertem
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2017, 05:11:05 pm »
I can answer the first question.  :) Both stories are considered 'true' by KO. Hemet has explained this concept in some recent posts, though I'm having trouble finding one to share here... The gist is that multiple stories can be true at the same time, similar to how various versions of the Names can exist at the same time.

Offline Shezatwepwawet

• Moderator (Kemetic Orthodox Q&A)
  • Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2017, 08:31:37 am »
Being Kemetic means employing polyvalent logic, meaning that more than one thing can be the "true" or "right" answer. Just look at how many different myths of creation there are!

Also keep in mind that all of Hemet's post are in the members only side of the forums and you cannot link to them on the public side.
Senebty,
Zat (She who makes Sekhmet laugh)
Sau apprentice

Sat Wepwawet-Yinepu her Hekatawy Alexandros (AUS) meryt Seshat-Nit-Nebthet her Heru-wer

Offline Celeste913

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2017, 07:12:13 pm »
Thank you for the replies so far. I am becoming a bit intrigued by Nefertem the more I think about this thread and my questions. I now come to wonder if he has any rituals of his own or are they all attached to his parents? It is hard to find much online other than he was a god of flowers and incense.

Offline Zanders

• Remetj
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2017, 07:38:22 pm »
Alas, a lot of the work on Nefertem does not seem to be in English.
I do have a few notes on him though, I'll share:

- Found referenced on 'Heru on the Crocodiles' amulets/stelae, where he is sometimes referred to as "Nefertem, Protector of the Two Lands": the purpose of the amulet is to provide healing for scorpion stings/snake bites/other wounds from poisonous / venomous creatures

- Mentioned in Pyramid Texts, 'W. [Wesir?] comes forth as Nefertem, as the lotus at the nose of Ra'

- Depected wearing a headress of an open lotus flower with menat on either side, with two tall feathers in the middle

- Sometimes shown carrying a weapon resembling a khopesh, sometimes with an ankh and/or was scepter

- In a relief at Medinet Habu the Nisut Seti I is depicted addressing Nefertem with the words:
"The god is content, content, with his overflowings. Nefertem is content with his overflowing. The one who belongs to the sky, his arm is to the earth, and vice versa. A boon which the king gives. The king is vigorous with life, I being pure."

- Referred to as 'Lord of Offerings'

- In general, he takes on a lot of aspects of His mother, Sekhmet in regards to healing and in some cases fighting/war
Especially healing. I believe he's one of the Top Netjer you would ask specifically for healing (Sekhmet, Serqet, Nefertem, and Imhotep are often considered 'healers')
His temples were places people would go for healing.

- Also referred to as a 'son of Atum'

- Can be syncretized as Nefertem-Heru(-sa-Aset) and Nefertem-Ra

- Also as Nefertem-Imhotep, a national Akh (deified human, basically)

Sources:

Horus on the Crocodiles
Keith C. Seele
Journal of Near Eastern Studies, Vol. 6, No. 1 (Jan., 1947), pp. 43-52

The Goddesses of the Egyptian Tree Cult
Marie-Louise Buhl
Journal of Near Eastern Studies, Vol. 6, No. 2 (Apr., 1947), pp. 80-97

Certain Reliefs at Karnak and Medinet Habu and the Ritual of Amenophis I
Harold H. Nelson
Journal of Near Eastern Studies, Vol. 8, No. 3 (Jul., 1949), pp. 201-232

The Iconography of Certain Egyptian Divinities as Illustrated by the Collections in Haskell
Oriental Museum
Harry W. Cartwright
The American Journal of Semitic Languages and Literatures, Vol. 45, No. 3 (Apr.,
1929), pp. 179-196

The Ancient Egyptian Daybook
Rev. Tamara Siuda

If you can get your hands on George Hart's 'A Dictionary of Egyptian Gods and Goddesses,' I'd recommend checking it out, and there's another God/dess 'Dictionary' I really like but can't remember the name of... Got to check my notes.

EDIT: FOUND IT, and Hart's book.

Hart's dictionary doesn't have much more to add other than Nefertem can take leonin/lion headed form and may be a son of Bast or Wadjet as well (Like his origin, all of these Names can simultaneously be his mother).

The other dictionary was Wilkinson's Complete Gods and Goddesses of Ancient Egypt, major new/additional stuff listed below:

- Strong association w/ Ra

- Also says he is sometimes the son of Wadjet and Bast, though Sekhmet is most common

- Sometimes he is depicted standing on a lion

- Some representations of him as a child's head emerging from a lotus blossom

- The head in lotus is where Tutenkhamun comes in: famous representation of his head coming from the lotus, Wilkinson says it is likely a way to represent the Nisut Tut as Nefertem and Heru-sa-Aset. So Nefertem and HSA because he was young, I think, but also to emphasize the kingship element. (Especially if the depiction is of Nefertem-Heru)

- Wilkinson says he was primarily on royal and divine monuments, and sometimes feared due to his mother.

- Association with lotus = association to creation story = regeneration and rebirth as areas of his (likely leading to his healing association, imo)

Ok, I think that's all I have on Nefertem. Hope at least some of it was helpful.  :P
« Last Edit: August 31, 2017, 04:03:06 pm by Zanders »

Offline Zanders

• Remetj
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2017, 03:59:26 pm »
How do I delete this post, I accidentally made a new one...
« Last Edit: August 31, 2017, 04:02:16 pm by Zanders »

Offline Celeste913

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2017, 06:01:07 pm »
I just saw a video that said lotuses were tied to fertility in ancient Egyptian times, which makes sense now that I think about it. The video also said they had narcotic properties, but I am not sure how realistic that is. This has made the area Nefertem presides over more interesting to me.

Does anyone currently work with this deity specifically or honor him as part of the Memphite Triad?

Offline A'Aqytsekhmet

• Rev. A'aqyt - Ordained Clergy - Fundraising Bak
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2017, 07:05:32 pm »
Nefertem is one of my beloveds. He comes through very strongly in healing for me. He is a very strong presence in my life.
Sat Sekhmet her Hekatawy Alexandros (AUS)
Meryt Sobek-Ra, Yinepu, Nebthet, Nefertem, her Wenut
Fedw Diviner
Self-Care Sekhmet Advocate
Zazzle Shop - Blog - Patreon

Offline Hethert_Gerut

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2017, 01:05:07 am »
Thank you all for posting this. Nefertem is one of my 3 beloveds. He is the Netjer I am most drawn to outside of Hethert-Sekhmet. Unfortunately, I seemed to have a hard time connecting in the past. Any recommendations on offerings or how to better build a connection?
Hethertgerut: "The silent Hethert"
Sat Hethert-Sekhmet
Meryt Nut her Wesir her Nefertem

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 2452
  • stats Total Posts: 263920
  • stats Total Topics: 17561
  • stats Total Categories: 8
  • stats Total Boards: 98
  • stats Most Online: 182
anything