Register
collapse collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 33
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 2
  • Dot Users Online:

Author Topic: Met Museum  (Read 432 times)

Offline Celeste913

Met Museum
« on: October 01, 2017, 09:54:54 am »
I decided to make this a generic thread for stuff the Met Museum shares that is Egyptian related because a thread about one hippo statue seems a bit absurd. I saw this picture this morning, and I felt the need to share it:

https://twitter.com/metmuseum/status/912700926938501120

They have a hippo statue (probably originally a Tawaret) that they named William. I am unsure about the theological implications of that but I think William is the image of Tawaret used in a lot of books.

Offline Senuwierneheh

• Shemsu-Ankh
Re: Met Museum
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2017, 12:10:54 pm »
Em Hotep, Celeste,

While Taweret is depicted as a hippo, that particular statue isn't of Taweret.  I have the info from the info card at the museum:

"(From the info card)
"The hippotamus was one of the most dangerous animals of the Nile Valley, feared by sailors and farmers alike, but it was also believed to be a powerful, magical protector against evil. Both aspects are present here: three of the animal's legs were broken off when the figure was deposited in the tome, in order to incapacitate the beast; and water lilies ('lotuses') were painted on the body to indicate the hippo's environment and to associate it with the rejuventating forces that Egyptians believed were inherent in the plant. The figure was excavated along with the canopic box of Senbi (gallery 9) in a burial crypt that also contained another hippotamus figure, three boats, and a model of a combined granary and brewerey workship (the present whereabouts of therse other objects are unknown)"
Hippopotamus ("William")
First half of Dynasty 12 (ca. 1981-1885 BCE)
Faience; three legs and part of snout restored
From Meir, tomb B3, pit A; Said Bey Khashaba excavations, 1910
Gift of Edward S. Harkness, 1917 (17.9.1)"

The Met museum does have several statues of Taweret.  I photographed a few of them on my visits there:

http://joanannlansberry.com/fotoart/met-muzm/taweret-.html

The nicest is at the bottom of that page.

Museum photos of it are here:

http://www.metmuseum.org/art/collection/search/544864

And hopefully, this link works, if not, use "Taweret" in the search bar, to see even more of their Taweret statues:

http://www.metmuseum.org/search-results#!/search?q=Taweret

Senebty,
Neheh...

Senuwierneheh (My Two, forever)
Sat Hethert-Sekhmet her Set, meryt Ptah-Sokar-Wesir, Djehuty, her Heru-Wer
Self-care Hethert, Set and Ptah Advocate
𓁥 𓁣 𓁰

Offline Celeste913

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2017, 02:11:37 pm »
Wow, thank you for the information. I assumed all the blue hippos were Taweret. Hmm, so would this hippo be considered just an amulet or is he a spirit?

Offline Senuwierneheh

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2017, 06:19:03 pm »
Wow, thank you for the information. I assumed all the blue hippos were Taweret. Hmm, so would this hippo be considered just an amulet or is he a spirit?

More of an amulet to protect against evil, and yet because they feared the hippo's power, they broke its legs.

Senebty,
Neheh...
Senuwierneheh (My Two, forever)
Sat Hethert-Sekhmet her Set, meryt Ptah-Sokar-Wesir, Djehuty, her Heru-Wer
Self-care Hethert, Set and Ptah Advocate
𓁥 𓁣 𓁰

Offline Bestekeni

• Semer-Wati
  • Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2017, 07:25:17 pm »
In this context, I don't see breaking the hippo's legs making sense at all.
Fedw diviner for Bes
𓃀𓎂𓀭𓏏𓎡𓈖𓁐
Sat Bes her Hekatawy Alexandros (AUS)
Meryt Heru-wer her Amun-Ra her Bast

Offline BenWood

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2017, 02:11:46 am »
Thanks for the info Senuwierneheh. Fascinating stuff. I'm going to check out your website as well. Thanks for sharing.

Offline Celeste913

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2017, 05:53:30 pm »
They actually did post a picture of Tawaret a few days ago. It is apparently from the Ptolemaic Era: https://www.metmuseum.org/art/collection/search/544864?utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=tweet&utm_content=20171008&utm_campaign=collections

It is interesting that the Greeks didn't completely transform her image the way they did with other deities (like the images of Anubis in the Alexandria burial catacombs). She is slightly more anthropomorphic in the arms, but the face looks the same to me as images from earlier periods in Egypt.

Offline Darytessekhmet

• Rev. Daryt - Ordained Clergy - Moderator (Prayer Requests Forums)
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2017, 08:17:07 pm »
I have one of these little blue hippo figures.  I like it.  I like the blue Ptolemaic Taweret statue much better though.  Thank you for the info.
Daughter of Sekhmet and Nisut Hekatawy(AUS)
W'abet Nekhen sehotep.tu ib-es yim-ef, The Shrine in Which Her Heart is Appeased

Her Father controls Sekhmet, Sekhmet subdues evil, Sekhmet controls Her temper
Even small rivers keep the lands green and the oceans wet.

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 2521
  • stats Total Posts: 266212
  • stats Total Topics: 17725
  • stats Total Categories: 8
  • stats Total Boards: 98
  • stats Most Online: 182