Register
collapse collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 30
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 2
  • Dot Users Online:

Author Topic: Discussion  (Read 187 times)

Offline lexilou

• Beginner
Discussion
« on: November 08, 2017, 12:15:28 pm »
I couldn't find anywhere talking about this so please just add a link in the comments if it's already been discussed!
Okay so I just want to know everyone's opinion regarding the book of the dead and being buried. Are you going to bury yourself with one? Are you going to be buried in a mausoleum or does it not matter to you? I know KO as a whole doesnt have a set of rules regarding this I just wanted everyone's opinion!
I don't mean to be morbid it's just something I think about a lot. Thanks ☺

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Offline Senneferet

Re: Discussion
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2017, 01:44:05 pm »
There's no way I'll ever be able to afford being buried in a mausoleum. Burial plots on their own (in the UK) are starting to cost thousands of pounds, plus there are usually strict rules on what you can have as a memorial these days. My husband and I are both against cremation so our current plan is to find a reasonably priced woodland cemetery to go in, when the time comes. I'm not sure what things will be allowed to go in the plot with us but I wasn't planning on taking the BoD with me anyway. My ankh necklace will probably go to one of my children (if they ever arrive) if I'm not allowed it buried with me.

Offline alae93

• Remetj
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2017, 02:50:13 pm »
I'm kind of a weird case -- I'm multi-trad, and one of the traditions I work within is Lukumi (a.k.a. Santeria).  If I ever scare up enough money to become a priest, then I would essentially be committing myself to a burial ceremony called an itutu when I die.  All I know as a non-initiate is that the itutu involves an earth burial (no cremation allowed) and my orishas are put to rest.

The expectation for the itutu is so strong that it sets the tone for all my other considerations around my death.  But I BELIEVE I'm still allowed a lot of leeway in terms of what I'm buried with, and any other rituals performed.

If so, I would definitely like to incorporate the other trads I work within, including KO.  I would like the chance to say goodbye to the Gods and spirits I love, including the Netjeru, or more properly to have goodbyes said on my behalf.  And I would like rituals performed to ensure I cross the Duat safely and am able to work on behalf of the living.

A mausoleum sounds very expensive and I am very poor.  If I could buy what would amount to basically a share in a large mausoleum, that would be neat, but I'm under the impression that in the modern West mausolea (lol) are usually the sort of thing devoted to one person and their memory.
mes-en-Aset-Serqet; meryt Nit-Nebhtet-Seshat, Khepera, her Set.

Offline Darytessekhmet

• Rev. Daryt - Ordained Clergy - Moderator (Prayer Requests Forums)
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2017, 06:40:24 pm »
It's something I have considered but haven't made a decision on.  I'm still not sure if I want a burial, cremation, or buried in one of those tree pods I've seen on Facebook.  I've also considered being mummified, but that's terribly pricy.
Daughter of Sekhmet and Nisut Hekatawy(AUS)
W'abet Nekhen sehotep.tu ib-es yim-ef, The Shrine in Which Her Heart is Appeased

Her Father controls Sekhmet, Sekhmet subdues evil, Sekhmet controls Her temper
Even small rivers keep the lands green and the oceans wet.

Offline Senui-Iry-I

• Shemsu
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2017, 09:17:28 pm »
I toggle between being embalmed with traditional burial and a green burial. The only reason I'd consider the first is because it's just what my family does, however I lean more towards a green burial since I try to be kind to the earth. I like the thought of my atoms rearranging to nourish and become another lifeform, decomposing so something new can form (matter is neither created nor destroyed and all). I doubt I'd have anything with me when I'm buried, maybe a necklace that I wear for my parent gods. I feel I've got enough pieces of me around in my artwork, blog posts and family photos that I'll have a connection to the earthly world for a while after I die. This is a topic I discuss from time to time with Yinepu, he always tell me to do what I feel is right for me.
Senui-Iry-I  (Iryi)
Sat Sobek-Ra her Hethert-Sekhmet,
Meryt Set her Yinepu-Wepwawet her Nit-Nebthet-Seshat

Offline Djehutyendy

• Shemsu
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2017, 11:11:21 am »
To be honest, religion hasn't really influenced my decision on whether or not I want to buried. I am a very environmentally conscious person, so most of my decisions about life tend to be influenced by that. As a result, I always thought that cremation would be the most environmentally friendly option. However, I recently learned that cremation is NOT very green because the amount of energy required to do a proper cremation is huge, resulting in a rather large carbon footprint. BBC published an article that talks about a new method called alkaline hydrolysis and compares the environmental impacts to traditional burial and cremation. Honestly, I love this idea of alkaline hydrolysis but it is a bit expensive now since it isn't very popular or easily accessible. Hopefully it will be more reasonable by the time I die, but if it is not then I will rather do a natural/green burial.

Senebty,
Endy
Djehutyendy -- Djehuty is here

Daughter of Djehuty and Beloved of Hethert-Sekhmet and Geb

Offline Sobeqsenu

• Rev. Sobeq - Ordained Clergy
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2017, 09:08:01 am »
Em hotep!

I have not decided yet what my plans for my body will be. My understanding has been that it is important to have a representation of one's body after death, so I think I would like a ka-statue made rather than having my body preserved. My initial goal was to be cremated and have some of my ashes interred in a mausoleum and some sent to Tawy to stay on the Akhu shrine there, but now that we do not have a central temple, I'm undecided. Perhaps I will stay on the family Akhu shrine instead, along with my ka-statue.

Senebty
Sobeq
Rev. Sobeqsenu
Priest of Wepwawet and Sekhmet-Mut
Beloved of Bast, Nut, Khonsu, and Nebt-het
W'ab Nekhen Ib Imau-sen | Heri-sesheta Wepwawet

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 2521
  • stats Total Posts: 265643
  • stats Total Topics: 17687
  • stats Total Categories: 8
  • stats Total Boards: 98