Register
collapse collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 40
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 6
  • Dot Users Online:

Author Topic: Djrhuti and artwork  (Read 167 times)

Djrhuti and artwork
« on: November 30, 2017, 12:52:51 am »
Em Hotep!

I have a question. Let me begin with some artistic insight. The world is made up of lines and colors. You could say that everything is "written" into being, using these lines and colors, and the writing changes when the light and shadow on any one object changes. In Eastern Orthodox Christianity, when they create a religious piece, a person or event is "written" using lines and paint and expressions. Since Djehuti is concerned with writing, could He also be the Patron God of this type of "writing"? My apologies for any philosophical confusion.

Offline Djehutyendy

• Shemsu
Re: Djrhuti and artwork
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2017, 08:32:32 am »
Em hotep, RedFlower!

Yes, I definitely think that Djehuty can be associated with art! One of Djehuty's epithets is "He of the palette," so I think that would be very fitting :)

I like this way of thinking about art!

But also keep in mind that our gods don't have static roles, meaning that one god or goddess could be associated with a number of different roles and multiple gods and goddesses can be associated with the same (or similar) role. There is a lot of fluidity between Them. We try to keep things as close to antiquity as possible, but we have members all around the globe and life today is very different than back then so we know that there is some flexibility. One of my favorite new associations that I have heard from another member is that some people associate Set ("Lord of the Desert") with snow :)

Senebty,
Endy
Djehutyendy -- Djehuty is here

Daughter of Djehuty and Beloved of Hethert-Sekhmet and Geb

Offline Darytessekhmet

• Rev. Daryt - Ordained Clergy - Moderator (Prayer Requests Forums)
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2017, 05:09:37 pm »
Em hotep Redflower *henu*

The Names' roles are complex and multifaceted.  I can easily see Djehuty in art as writing.  Have you had an experiences honoring him as such a patron?
Daughter of Sekhmet and Nisut Hekatawy(AUS)
W'abet Nekhen sehotep.tu ib-es yim-ef, The Shrine in Which Her Heart is Appeased

Her Father controls Sekhmet, Sekhmet subdues evil, Sekhmet controls Her temper
Even small rivers keep the lands green and the oceans wet.

Offline Meresinepu

• Rev. Meres - Ordained Clergy
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2017, 08:51:40 pm »
Em hotep Redflower,

When it comes to Djehuty, I've always gone to Him when I need to be able to articulate and come up with something eloquent or when I need to be serious I ask for His help in helping me find the right words to get my thoughts across.

In regard to the way his name is spelled here is some information from the House's website in regard to Djehuty being the patron of scribes.

Other Names: 
Tehuti, Thoth

(Tehuti; G/R Thoth) - "Leader (derivative form)" Ibis-headed Lord of Time, Writing and Wisdom, Djehuty is said to have invented the hieroglyphic script and negotiated five extra days from the moon in order to perfect the 365-day year. As a result of these mythological connections, Djehuty is the patron of writers, teachers, accountants and all persons involved in the dissemination of knowledge, writing and/or calculation. His consorts are alternately Ma'at, Netjeret of Truth and Order; or Seshat, patroness of recordkeeping, libraries and the foundation of buildings.

http://www.kemet.org/taxonomy/term/23

Hope that helps.

Senebty!
Rev. Meresinepu [She loves Yinepu]
Sat Yinepu/Wepwawet, meryt Amun her Bast her Aset her HetHert

"Gone am I, caught by the Underworld, yet cleansed and alive in the beyond." (from an Old Kingdom funerary text)

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2017, 02:09:51 am »
Em hotep Redflower *henu*

The Names' roles are complex and multifaceted.  I can easily see Djehuty in art as writing.  Have you had an experiences honoring him as such a patron?

As far as I'm aware, I haven't had any experiences with Him. I usually tag after Anubis for attention. ;) In my artwork, I see so many colors and lines and weird things. Maybe a part of that other world inside me is Him?

Offline Kaemwaset

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2017, 01:00:08 am »
Your question is whether Djehuti’s attributes encompass a sort of “patron deity,” when a spiritual artifact is created, the item being “written” into the cosmos. A marvelous query! While Djehuti is certainly the patron of scribes, Ptah is equally the patron deity of sculptors & craftsmen (see the Shabakka Stone & it’s creation myth). In fact, there are still remnants of Ptah in the Hebrew language with words like ‘patzakh’ (פתןח) = sculpture/engraving. To Quote Foy Scalf, “(The Egyptians) believed that language & writing were imbued with magical power & that reciting & recording such declarations would make the statements come true.” (KMT vol 28, no.4, winter 2017=18). The same concept holds true for physical objects that are ‘vessels’ for some spirt, particularly statues & figurative carvings. They all face forward so they can engage the devotee. How apropos to be ‘written into existence.’!!! :)

Since ‘art’ was always spiritual (no art for art’s sake), nothing was arbitrary. Paintings & sculpture followed a proportional system based on the cubit, which is based on man (27-digits, 7-palms). As Djehuti “measured out the cosmos” & held the divine cubit he is, in a sense, a part of the creation of spiritual objects in tandem with Ptah. Though some sculptors, especially some famous ones named ‘Djehuti’ from the Amarna period, seem to lean in the direction of our sacred ibis as an ‘enabler’ to those creating, rather than the known patron Ptah.

Hope this isn’t as confusing as it came out 😊!
Courtesy is contagious!

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 2521
  • stats Total Posts: 266213
  • stats Total Topics: 17725
  • stats Total Categories: 8
  • stats Total Boards: 98
  • stats Most Online: 182