collapse collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 40
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 6
  • Dot Users Online:

Author Topic: Oracle of Bast?  (Read 156 times)

Offline Fabrício

• Beginner
Oracle of Bast?
« on: November 30, 2017, 04:30:15 pm »
Hello! Children of Bast, can anyone help me?
In the research I did about Per-Bast, I found an oracle of the goddess that was very famous in her temple, during her festival. Does anyone know anything about it? I searched for it but I can’t find anything.

Offline Shefytbast

• W'ab Priest - Lay Clergy
Re: Oracle of Bast?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2017, 01:40:03 pm »
Em hotep, Fabrício! I don't think I've ever heard of that oracle; that's very interesting. Where did you read about it?
Shefytbast | daughter of Bast, beloved of Nut and Amun-Ra
Heri-sesheta Bast | Divinations
Blog: Gold of the Valley, Lapis of the River

Offline Fabrício

• Beginner
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2017, 01:49:57 pm »
Em Hotep, Shefytbast.

I saw this on Wikipedia, in the page about Per-Bast, so I went looking for more and just saw people citing it. I do not know if it really existed, because I never heard of it either, but it isn't impossible, so I decided to ask.

Offline Shefytbast

• W'ab Priest - Lay Clergy
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2017, 03:10:02 pm »
Huhh, OK, so I dug around a bit. That Wikipedia article is basically copied from The Dictionary of Greek and Roman Mythology, published in the 1800s. You can see the text of the original here; all it says about the oracle is that it became very popular once Greeks began settling in the area due to their association of Bast with Artemis. Given the age of the book, I think it's very likely that his information is all from classical Greek and/or Roman authors, so it's impossible to tell how much of it is actually Egyptian and how much is filtered by the beliefs and understandings of his sources--and with their conflation of Bast and Artemis, it's questionable which one actually was the source of the oracle. But it's awesome that there might possibly have been a famous oracle of Bast! Thank you for bringing it up--I'll keep researching it!

Shefytbast | daughter of Bast, beloved of Nut and Amun-Ra
Heri-sesheta Bast | Divinations
Blog: Gold of the Valley, Lapis of the River

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 2521
  • stats Total Posts: 266213
  • stats Total Topics: 17725
  • stats Total Categories: 8
  • stats Total Boards: 98
  • stats Most Online: 182