Register
collapse collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 54
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 7
  • Dot Users Online:

Author Topic: Translation Help  (Read 120 times)

Offline cosmia

Translation Help
« on: January 06, 2018, 09:57:38 am »
Hi - I hope it's okay I ask this on here. I was wondering if anyone could help me translate "Joy of Sobek" (or something similar) into a feminine name. From what I understand, hotep is more like "at peace / pleased" which doesn't have the same connotations to my ear, and I'm not sure what that would be with a feminine ending. Thank you :)

Offline Kaemwaset

Re: Translation Help
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2018, 04:40:17 pm »
“Ḥtp” is “be pleased, happy, (at) peace” & other related meanings. Perhaps “ršwt” & its derivatives ršršt “joy” would suit you better. The “t” ending is a feminine suffix. If you placed the female determinative after it, I think that would solve your conundrum.. However, to create a name, of sorts, Sbk- ršwt-tn “This IS the joy of Sobek” may be better. Sobek-reshuten makes good grammatical sense as “tn” is the feminine suffix of “this” to its noun (sḏm-f form). It looks a lot better in glyphs  :)
Courtesy is contagious!

Offline cosmia

Re: Translation Help
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2018, 09:56:44 am »
“Ḥtp” is “be pleased, happy, (at) peace” & other related meanings. Perhaps “ršwt” & its derivatives ršršt “joy” would suit you better. The “t” ending is a feminine suffix. If you placed the female determinative after it, I think that would solve your conundrum.. However, to create a name, of sorts, Sbk- ršwt-tn “This IS the joy of Sobek” may be better. Sobek-reshuten makes good grammatical sense as “tn” is the feminine suffix of “this” to its noun (sḏm-f form). It looks a lot better in glyphs  :)
Thank you so much for such a prompt and thorough reply :) I really appreciate it! Sobekreshuten makes my heart feel fuzzy so I think I'm going to go with that, haha. Thanks again!

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 2550
  • stats Total Posts: 267052
  • stats Total Topics: 17805
  • stats Total Categories: 8
  • stats Total Boards: 100
  • stats Most Online: 182