Register
collapse collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 49
  • Dot Hidden: 1
  • Dot Users: 4
  • Dot Users Online:

Author Topic: Church of Anubis  (Read 499 times)

Offline Anepu

Church of Anubis
« on: February 04, 2018, 12:31:35 pm »
Em Hotep what do you think about the idea of creating a “Church” dedicated to Anubis ?
Sentiby
« Last Edit: February 04, 2018, 12:33:37 pm by Anepu »

Offline Sedjfaiemitui

• Shemsu
Re: Church of Anubis
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2018, 12:32:09 am »
Em hotep nefer, Anepu! :)

My opinion on subjects such as these echoes what Ra'awyserqet said some months ago in response to an idea for separate "Houses" subfora for individual Netjeru here on the House of Netjer site. Quoting her verbatim: "We don't need things that separate us from each other and we don't need things that separate the Netjeru from each other."

Now, individual Kemetic practitioners absolutely can and absolutely do establish shrines (both semi-public and fully private, as their personal situations allow) to the various Netjer(et) they worship most. There are people who primarily follow Ptah and have sprawling shrines dedicated mostly or only to Him, for example. There's no "law" anywhere, from any time, that says you HAVE to worship every single member of the Netjeru ever -- there are literally hundreds upon hundreds of Divinities in Egyptian religion, and it'd be impossible to worship every single one personally and regularly. Similarly, here on our Temple's site, people can (and do!) initiate fellowship discussion threads about specific, individual Netjeru. There is no standing rule that you can't talk about Yinepu in particular. The Netjer: Our Gods and Goddesses subforum exists for that express purpose. You can talk about Yinepu -- and only Yinepu -- in threads dedicated to Yinepu, if you want. :)

All that being said, making new organizations that focus solely on one deity to the exclusion of others from the same "original" religion is really counter-productive, specifically if you happen to lay claim to the religious-philosophical identity of "Polytheist" and are pulling from a polytheistic religion.

As an illustrative aside, that is the basis for one of my personal disagreements with the Temple of Set: it's not simply that they aren't a Reconstructionist or Revivalist Egyptian religion (they're pretty open about NOT being that, and I do respect and appreciate that about them, for making that distinction clear so nobody gets confused and nobody pretends they're something they aren't). It's that the ToS effectively alienates Set from His interrelations with a great many Egyptian, Levantine, and Libyan deities by focusing only on Him. Contrary to their (presumed) intentions in founding said organization, they turn the worship of Set into a kind of ur-monotheism. There's an attendant break in continuity and a break in the interdependent and interrelated nature of ALL the deities belonging to Ancient Near Eastern and Mediterranean polytheisms.

Yinepu doesn't exist in a bubble. He is an individual, yes, but He is not isolatable. Like all Egyptian deities, He is part and parcel of the One and the Many. I personally can't get behind ideas that want to create unnecessary bubbles around deities that have dynamic natures, form syncretisms with, and share roles with a great many other deities.

I hope this made sense! :)

Senebty,
Sedjfai
« Last Edit: February 05, 2018, 12:34:10 am by Sedjfaiemitui »
"Endowed by Two Fathers"
Sat Set her Amun-Re-Banebdjedet
Meryt Wesir-Herishef, Heru-Wer, her Yinepu
𓃫𓃞 𓀱𓁡 𓅄 𓃤

Offline Tjemsy

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2018, 06:40:50 am »
Em hotep, friend! -henu-

On the other hand, if you are meaning something like an actual physical "temple" or something which is dedicated to Anubis (we call him Yinepu), I'm all for that. ^^; Our w'abu maintain shrines in their homes that are dedicated to their Parents. Because of their private nature, these are usually not open to the public.

If we had a priest of Yinepu who wanted to make a sort of temple for him that is separate from their home and open to the public, you can do that. I am heading to work right now so I cannot grab you the appropriate links just yet, but I think I saw something about this in the Member Handbook on kemet.org? It's just that no one has done this yet. You'd have to use your own funds for such a thing; we're not flush enough that we can help anyone pursue that. ^^;

We actually had a physical temple that is called "Tawy" or "Tawy House," which was dedicated to all Netjer, and served as a gathering place for Retreat and other events in the past. But everyone who was involved in temple upkeep drifted away or moved or what have you, so it was no longer being used or taken care of. Now, it is up for sale. You'll see periodic updates about this in our announcements section. As to whether or not we get a new physical temple, that remains to be seen.

As Sedjfai noted, a KO "temple" to Yinepu made in this way would make him the primary figure of worship, but it is unlikely that Yinepu would ever be the only god acknowledged there. Our gods are so closely related, I'm sure that in your work there, Wepwawet is sure to come up, or Yinepu might present in the form of Yinepu, Child of Ra, or of Set & Nebthet, or as otherwise connected to other Names.

I am also remembering that in antiquity, temples of X Name often housed other gods as part as their sort of "entourage," but I am not a scholar, so I cannot speak on this. You might want to poke Sedjfai on that, too. Hehe. ^^;
Tjemsy - "Two Red Ones"
formerly rainbowrosepetals

Sat Sekhmet her Set
Meryt Heru-wer, Bast, Wepwawet, Taweret, & Nebthet

Offline Sobeqsenu

• Rev. Sobeq - Ordained Clergy
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2018, 01:50:11 pm »
Very well said, both Sedjfai and Tjemsy!
Rev. Sobeqsenu
Priest of Wepwawet & Sekhmet-Mut
Beloved of Bast, Nut, Khonsu, & Nebt-het
W'ab Nekhen Ib Imau-sen | Heri-sesheta Wepwawet

Offline Taji

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2018, 05:58:03 pm »
Yeah, I’d say that the Temple of Set has little to do with Set as we understand Him.  It isn’t Kemetic.  It’s lineage is more tied to theistic Satanism and Thelema than anything we do. And they don’t worship Set; they see Him as a guide and someone to emulate in their own quest to become gods.

The whole equating of Set to the western idea of Satan or the Devil is fascinating to me. It’s kinda ridicuoulous and kinda works.  I haven’t quite navigated my way through it yet.

I’m primarily Kemetic Orthodox, but I’m also a member of the Satanic Temple, which is a NONTHEIST Satanic religion.  Most of them don’t believe in any sort of God at all. I joined up because I love their activism. But I have to say that the religion resonates too.

Anyway.  I probably derailed a thread again. Apologies. 

Dua Yinepu!
Tasedjebbastmut
Daughter of Bast-Mut and Hekatawy Alexandros (AUS)
Beloved of Yinepu, Sekhmet, Set, Heru-wer, and Aset

Offline KhaiPtah

• Shemsu
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2018, 04:33:37 pm »
Hotep henu,

Essentially we have a Temple to “Anubis”. The House of Netjer is exactly that. In the same way it is a Temple to Ptah and Ma’at, Aset, Bast Yinepu Set and all the other hundreds of Names/Aspects of Netjer. We carry it in our hearts and our lives on a day to day basis. 

Pulling the Netjer apart and dividing the worship to specific names in different temples is not really what this faith is about. Here all the Names are venerated and on the whole we find it a stronger experience that way.

Senebty

Khai
« Last Edit: February 06, 2018, 04:42:02 pm by KhaiPtah »
The Shadows of apathetic silence dim the Light of righteous anger Ptah - 8/21/05

Sa her Shemsu-Ankh Ptah
Mery Sekhmet-HetHert Mery Bast

Offline Meresinepu

• Rev. Meres - Ordained Clergy
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2018, 12:15:47 am »
Em hotep Anepu,

Adding a quick note here.  I am a Yinepu priest for the House of Netjer.  I used to have an online website for Yinepu but took it down a while back and working on setting up a new one.  On my new website I'll have a virtual Temple where you can come in and make an offering or leave a prayer as part of my dedication service to my Parent but this is just an online website, not a real location. 

If we had a priest of Yinepu who wanted to make a sort of temple for him that is separate from their home and open to the public, you can do that. I am heading to work right now so I cannot grab you the appropriate links just yet, but I think I saw something about this in the Member Handbook on kemet.org? It's just that no one has done this yet. You'd have to use your own funds for such a thing; we're not flush enough that we can help anyone pursue that. ^^;

For me personally, I do not wish to open up a Temple to my Parent (Yinepu/Anubis) or open my personal shrine to other member's at this time but as mentioned prior  if you were a priest of that Name, you could do that if you wanted to but you'd have to fund it yourself but we do allow that here in the House of Netjer.   

Hope that was not too confusing.     

Senebty

Meres

Rev. Meresinepu [She loves Yinepu]
Sat Yinepu/Wepwawet, meryt Amun her Bast her Aset her HetHert

"Gone am I, caught by the Underworld, yet cleansed and alive in the beyond." (from an Old Kingdom funerary text)

Offline Anepu

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2018, 04:26:14 am »
What is the name of the site ?

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

Offline Anepu

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2018, 09:06:02 am »
Em hotep Anepu,

Adding a quick note here.  I am a Yinepu priest for the House of Netjer.  I used to have an online website for Yinepu but took it down a while back and working on setting up a new one.  On my new website I'll have a virtual Temple where you can come in and make an offering or leave a prayer as part of my dedication service to my Parent but this is just an online website, not a real location. 

For me personally, I do not wish to open up a Temple to my Parent (Yinepu/Anubis) or open my personal shrine to other member's at this time but as mentioned prior  if you were a priest of that Name, you could do that if you wanted to but you'd have to fund it yourself but we do allow that here in the House of Netjer.   

Hope that was not too confusing.     

Senebty

Meres
What is The name of the site ?

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

* Most Recent Topics

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 2573
  • stats Total Posts: 267954
  • stats Total Topics: 17881
  • stats Total Categories: 8
  • stats Total Boards: 101