collapse collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 38
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 3
  • Dot Users Online:

Author Topic: The 42 Purifications  (Read 274807 times)

Offline Raheri

• Moderator (Ask the Nisut Forum)
The 42 Purifications
« on: November 10, 2007, 05:22:07 pm »
Em hotep friends!

I recently started to read a copy of The 42 Purifications: Meditations on a translation of Chapter 125 of the Pert-em-Heru (Egyptian Book of the Dead. With some prompting by my Beloved Lord Djehuty, I though it would be an engaging practice to discuss each of these purifications with everyone, and see what each of out take is on it. Hearing other people's reasoning and thinking helps us become wiser in our own thought.

Every few days after the topic slows down a little I (or anyone who notices and has a copy of the 42) will post another purification for us to discuss, to get the topic started again.

Purification 1
Hail Strider, coming from Iunu (Heliopolis), I am not doing (making) isfet.

For me this purification is quite powerful. It means controlling my behavior so that I am not part of anything that is pulling ma'at out of balance. By doing isfet, I am working against ma'at and Netjer. By working with ma'at I am becoming the self-mastered. I do this by being a calm, controlled, modest, wise, gentle, and socially active person.

Hemet challenges us in this purification to not confuse a person's being with his or her behavior. The old concept of love the sinner and hate the sin applies here. I have struggled with this concept in the past. I have hated myself for my own behavior in the past and have not been very forgiving of myself. By not forgiving ourselves for our past mistakes and moving on, we create isfet.

I know in my life, I want to live in ma'at. Isfet will pop its serpent-shaped head in every once and a while and cause some strife. That is alright though, because it helps me to focus back again to ma'at. I will tell you that there are days when someone does something or says something to me, and I want to rip their head off an put them in their place. But by placing the concept of ma'at first, I hold my tongue and walk away. I feels this definitely shows character.

I hope this topic catches on and everyone participates. I placed it on the public side of the Boards hoping that it will show a positive light of Kemetic Orthodoxy for those that come her to learn. There seems to be a lot of "fluff" on the public side and thought that are guests and community would enjoy something a little more philosophical and spiritual. Looking forward to hearing from everyone.

Senebty,
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Raheri »
Raheriwesir,
Son of Wesir | Email | Awakening in Amenti

"When we do not expect anything, we can be ourselves. This is our way, to live fully in each moment of time.”
- Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Senushemi

• Forum Moderator (Beginners' Forums)
  • Shemsu-Ankh
Re: The 42 Purifications
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2007, 04:49:46 am »
Em hotep, Raheri - neat topic!

One of the big questions in KO is, what exactly is isfet?

To paraphrase Hemet, isfet is the action of undoing creation itself.  We add to this by doing bits and pieces that can further the uncreation of creation; things like gereg, or lying (both in word and thought); and binet, or behaving badly (actions, not just words or thoughts).

Also according to Hemet, what really matters in these cases is whether or not we actually meant to do it.  So, to purposefully lie, behave badly, or to not choose to act within ma'at, all contributes to isfet; accidentally doing so, does not.

Choosing to act within ma'at not only shows character; it shows *good* character.  Kudos, Raheri!  :)
Sat Bast her Djehuty meryt Sekhmet
Fedw Diviner for Djehuty and Bast
Self-Care Sekhmet Advocate
Beginners' Class Instructor - http://www.kemet.org/join
senushemi@gmail.com

Offline Bestekeni

• Semer-Wati
  • Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2007, 09:07:45 am »
Just to play the devil's advocate for a moment... wasn't Ap_p's creation accidental?

Is the definition of isfet dependent on the outcome or the intention?  Is a malicious act truly isfet if it somehow leads to a positive outcome or the creation of something?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Bestekeni »
Fedw diviner for Bes

Sat Bes her Hekatawy I (AUS)
Meryt Heru-wer her Amun-Ra her Bast

Offline Raheri

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2007, 10:00:22 am »
Em hotep Shemi & Tekini,

I basically see this as a way that ma'at is trying to correct itself. If a malicious act caused something positive, I don't see the slate as being wiped clean. That intent is still on the one making the act. Just because I did something malicious because I wanted to in anger, doesn’t mean if something good comes out of it, then I didn't do anything wrong.

On the other hand, what if I did something that eventually caused isfet. Kind of like the butterfly effect. I think this is really pushing it. Making isfet is something we aren’t going to do by accident. That is gereg, but not isfet.

Basically we are the only ones responsible for ourselves. What we do, say, and how we behave are our choices. For the most part, I believe that most of mankind isn’t out creating isfet.

Senebty,
Raheriwesir,

"When we do not expect anything, we can be ourselves. This is our way, to live fully in each moment of time.”
- Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Senushemi

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2007, 02:56:36 am »
Hotep Tek!  Yes, Ap_p's creation was accidental - but Ap_p and isfet are two different things.  It was Hemet Herself you said that intent is what matters with isfet - just do a search on isfet in the ATN forum, and you'll find it. :)
senushemi@gmail.com

Offline Bestekeni

• Semer-Wati
  • Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2007, 10:45:12 am »
Yes, but many of the people reading this do not have access to the AtN forum.  And I did say I was playing Devil's Advocate.  Just was attempting to explore the bredth of the philosophy.
Fedw diviner for Bes

Sat Bes her Hekatawy I (AUS)
Meryt Heru-wer her Amun-Ra her Bast

Offline Senushemi

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2007, 09:14:03 pm »
oops - sorry, I forgot about not having access to AtN unless you're at last a beginner...

And yep, you did say devil's advocate, and I did get that - just advocating back atch'ya ;)
senushemi@gmail.com

Offline Raheri

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2007, 08:30:37 pm »
Quote from: Senushemi
Hotep Tek!  Yes, Ap_p's creation was accidental - but Ap_p and isfet are two different things.  It was Hemet Herself you said that intent is what matters with isfet:)

I understand that intent is the major factor here with isfet. If I sat down tonight and drew up a plan for a complete annihilation of ignorant co-workers (I'm projecting a little here) and began my plan, then I would thus be creating isfet in that sense. Little things we do over time can create isfet, such gereg and binet. But since most people don't go around making isfet, then how does this 1st Purification relate to me in that sense. I may add to the overall isfet pool by some of my more inappropriate actions I have done, but how do I not make isfet?

The only answer I see is by doing ma'at. I can do this by doing actions that lift myself, and those around me. I can restrain myself when someone says something that really grips my grits, and instead of whining about it, do something to make that person I don't like my friend. I think that is a lesson all of us can walk away with today. Not everybody is perfect, and it is our responsibility to raise each other up. We are a religious family here in this forum. Let's take the words from Jesus and love one another.

Tomorrow I will make an effort to educate people when they ask questions and congratulate them for searching for the right answers. No more passive-aggressive Raheri.

Senebty,
Raheriwesir,

- Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Raheri

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2007, 04:19:16 pm »
Hotep everyone!

Purification 2

Hail Hept-seshet, coming from Kher-aha, I do not steal (literally, "there is no stealing [in] me.")

To say that you do not steal has a variety of implications. Most of us can say we do not steal. That sort of "crime" is not within us. But by digging deeper into ourselves and our thoughts, we can see this action present. Plagiarism, misrepresentation, and (unknown to the cable company) free cable are all examples of theft. In fact writing about this purification, I have to be careful so that I don’t plagiarize the words of our Nisut (AUS).

Overall, when focusing on this purification, I see that there are things in this world that are inherently ours. Whether we bought them, had them given to us, or exchanged services for them, they are ours. When someone comes along with a total disregard for that, then chaos can result. What are your thoughts?

Senebty,
Raheriwesir,

- Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Djehutyendy

• Shemsu
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2007, 08:50:23 am »
Em hotep!

I just found this thread, and I think it's a great one! I'm looking forward to discussing all of the Purifications because there are definitely some that confuse me a bit...

Quote from: Raheri

Purification 1

Hail Strider, coming from Iunu (Heliopolis), I am not doing (making) isfet.

I think that your explanation of this pretty much sums up how I feel I *should* live to not do isfet... I say should because this one is a tough struggle for me. Both of my parents have terrible anger problems and stress out over the smallest things. As a result, my sister and I are pretty much the same. I find when I am away from my family I can focus more and think of Ma'at, but I live with my sister and sometimes I just lose my head. (I'm not saying my family is bad for me, it's just we are all so similar, and people with similar traits tend to crash more. I love my family! I don't know what I would do without them). So basically this has been a life-long struggle of mine... Since I have first looked into KO I felt like it would be easier. And I have noticed that sometimes it really does help to think of Ma'at and Netjer.

Quote from: Raheri
Purification 2

Hail Hept-seshet, coming from Kher-aha, I do not steal (literally, "there is no stealing [in] me.")

This one definitely is straightforward... Like you were saying, there are so many forms of "stealing." I feel like it is only stealing when it is done intentionally... obviously if you were to purposefully plagiarize Hemet(AUS) words then that would be stealing, but if you have read her words long ago, came to write this, and those words came to you yet you could not remember at all where you had heard them from, then I don't feel that is plagiarism. University's rules are different than mine though.. haha But that was just an example.

I feel like this is just one of those purifications that can't be interpreted that differently...

I don't have anything else to say about this, but I am looking forward to the other Purifications!

Senebty
Angela
Djehutyendy -- Djehuty is here

Daughter of Djehuty and Beloved of Hethert-Sekhmet and Geb

« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2007, 10:18:13 am »
Em Hotep all!

Thank you Raheri for this topic.  I am one of those seeking philosophy and spiritual knowledge and am fairly new to the boards.  So again, thank you.

First, I'm new here so I'm not positive what "Isfet" is specifically but I'm guessing the meaning is along the lines of "causing harm".  I'm going to go with that but I'd love clarification if I'm off a bit, please.  :-)

So as I reflected upon the claim, "I am not doing isfet", I felt the emphasis on "not doing".  That implies action which implies intent.  But I don't know about anyone else, but I've more than once tried to do something nice for one person, only to have it blow up in my face and cause a fight.  So did I just "do insfet"?  And on how many levels?
     I wondered if "doing isfet" could be referring to our physical and/or spiritual selves?  Is the concept of "Isfet" based on conscious intent only or does an absent-minded remark that I later realize hurt someone but do nothing to make right with that other person count as "Isfet" as well?  Are these two the same? If so, is it the absent-minded remark "doing isfet" or the fact that we did become conscious of it but did nothing to "make it right"?  
     In this regard I see a level of personal responsibility to  be mindful of our thoughts, our actions, every moment of every day.  But also to realize that to err is human and we will make mistakes but when we do, not to compound it by doing isfet upon ourselves by forgiving and then go and do soemthing to try and make it right.

"Know me, O God, if You know me, then I will know You."

Offline Djehutyendy

• Shemsu
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2007, 04:47:05 pm »
Em hotep!

Isfet is basically the opposite of Ma'at, justice, truth, balance, peace, etc. I think Senushemi explains it wonderfully here:

Quote from: Senushemi
One of the big questions in KO is, what exactly is isfet?

To paraphrase Hemet, isfet is the action of undoing creation itself.  We add to this by doing bits and pieces that can further the uncreation of creation; things like gereg, or lying (both in word and thought); and binet, or behaving badly (actions, not just words or thoughts).

Also according to Hemet, what really matters in these cases is whether or not we actually meant to do it.  So, to purposefully lie, behave badly, or to not choose to act within ma'at, all contributes to isfet; accidentally doing so, does not.

Choosing to act within ma'at not only shows character; it shows *good* character.

If you do something nice for someone in your face, then that's not isfet, that's just bad luck  :crazy:   If you make an "absent-minded remark that you later realized hurt someone" then that would not be isfet. If it is something very offensive, and you do nothing to try to "make up" for what you did, I still don't think it's isfet because you aren't actually "uncreating" something. You just realized you made a mistake and chose to do nothing about it. Not good, but not evil, either.

Isfet is more on the concious side, because, as you said, "to err is human," and Netjer understands that. You're pretty much on the right track, because we all should try to be at peace with Ma'at and not do isfet.

Senebty
Angela
Djehutyendy -- Djehuty is here

Daughter of Djehuty and Beloved of Hethert-Sekhmet and Geb

« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2007, 04:54:24 pm »
Quote from: Rebecca
First, I'm new here so I'm not positive what "Isfet" is specifically but I'm guessing the meaning is along the lines of "causing harm". I'm going to go with that but I'd love clarification if I'm off a bit, please. :-)
One way I've heard it explained is... Have you seen or read The Neverending Story? If so, the Nothing is an example of isfet.

I would probably make a distinction between "cosmic" isfet and the kind of isfet that Purification 1 is talking about. Humans can't really combat cosmic isfet--that's Set's job. However, our daily actions in accordance or in discordance with ma'at do contribute, much like grains of sand make up a beach.

isfet is uncreation and is pretty serious; I think there are other terms for actions and words not in accordance with ma'at but not quite to the level of isfet, but I can't remember any of them--someone help me out? isfet is feeling like your Self is slipping through your fingers.

Have you read A Wind in the Door (Madelein L'Engle)? The echthroi are doers of isfet as they strive to unName the universe. Senseless, unrepentant acts of violence and deception with the full knowledge of their effect--I think someone who does not have a clear understanding of the effect of their actions could harm someone but not do isfet.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2007, 05:00:22 pm by TheDisreputableDog »
Tumblr | Twitter

Seeing the Sun when I can't really see
Hoping the Sun will at least look at me

--Moby

« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2007, 05:29:09 pm »
Greetings,
   Thank you all for the help.  I can see that I've got a long road ahead of me!  So, on to my next question...  :-)

So when Tem rose from Nun and began Creation, how did isfet come about?  Is isfet a by-product of Creation itself, or do we even know??  

Thanks again,
Rebecca  
"Know me, O God, if You know me, then I will know You."

« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2007, 09:58:02 pm »
isfet is the product of the Uncreated, or the nameless one. Tefnut spat it out while creating Geb, and spoke that it was not supposed to happen, and her Heka caused the Uncreation.

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 2344
  • stats Total Posts: 256074
  • stats Total Topics: 17007
  • stats Total Categories: 8
  • stats Total Boards: 97
  • stats Most Online: 182
anything