Register
collapse collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 48
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 6
  • Dot Users Online:

Author Topic: Epithets of the Names  (Read 218879 times)

Offline Naisenu

• Shemsu
Epithets of the Names
« on: February 02, 2009, 03:51:14 pm »
I was wondering if members of the forum would be interested in discussing the meanings of the epithets of the Names of Netjer. For example, we had a discussion of Bast and the Invisible Paw - although we don't have an answer to that one yet, it is an interesting discussion nonetheless. Personally, I was thinking we could pick a Name, list out the known epithets and then discuss the meanings of those epithets. Then eventually move on to another Name.

I've created a list already if anyone wants to work through them. :) From the list I created, Amun would be first.

Amun Yinepu Amun-Ra Wesir Aset Wepwawet Atum Wadjet Bast(-Mut) Tefnut Bes Taweret Djehuty Sokar(-Wesir) Geb Sobek Heru-sa-Aset Shu Heru-wer Seshat Hethert(-Mut) Serqet Khepera Sekhmet(-Mut) Khonsu Ra-Heruakhety Maahes Ra Ma'at Ptah(-Sokar & -Sokar-Wesir) Mafdet Nut Min Nit Montu Nefertem Mut Nebthet
Naisenu (Two Carry Me Across)
Sat Wepwawet her Bast-Mut
Meryt Djehuty her Sekhmet

Wepwa Wikipedia

Re: Epithets of the Names
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2009, 03:59:00 pm »
I would definately be interested in this, and as well the history behind the epithets. :)

I know TaysatWesir has an article somewhere that has an extensive list of Ma'ahes epithets and titles. I'll have to go hunting again to find it when we get to him.
“God didn’t promise days without pain, laughter without sorrow, sun without rain, but He did promise strength for the day, comfort for the tears, and light for the way.”

Offline kathleen

• Remetj
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2009, 08:17:45 pm »
yes, i'd be interested in this, too.
Redheads are descended from cats. --Mark Twain

Offline Taysatwesir

• Shemsu
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2009, 08:30:51 pm »
Like Moswen said I have an extensive list of epithets/titles for Ma'ahes and also Ptah-Sokar-Wesir if anyone is interested in reading. :)

I was going to get the epithets of Sokar-Wesir but my friend doesn't have the time to translate them from German to English.

Lexikon der ägyptischen Götter und Götterbezeichnungen
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by TaysatWesir »
Taysatwesir
This daughter of Wesir
sat Wesir as Ptah-Sokar-Wesir
meryt Mut, Ma'ahes, Bast, and Hethert-Sekhmet

Offline Tanebet

• Rev Astrid, Ordained Clergy, Semer-Wati
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2009, 10:00:44 pm »
The Lexikon der ägyptischen Götter und Götterbezeichnungen (8 books in total) is neat. One can find some stuff over google search but they always seem to skip the pages I am most interested in   ;)
Tanebetheru "Heru's Lordship"
Sat Heru Sa Aset her Nisut (AUS), Meryt Ra-Heru-akhety her Heru-Behedety
Heri-Sesheta Heru-Sa-Aset

This is what I was born to: to live, to love, to know, to change and embrace the infinite.
Normandi Ellis: "Awakening Osiris"

Offline Tahai

• Shemsu
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2009, 10:23:51 pm »
I would be a very interested observer of these discussions, but my research tools are limited to the internet, so don't know how much I would be able to contribute.
TahaiBast
Daughter of Bast.  Beloved of Sobek-Ra, Djehuty, and Sekhmet-Hethert.

Self-care Sekhmet and Sobek-Ra Keeper

Feed the Ka Association (FKA)

Offline Naisenu

• Shemsu
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2009, 10:59:54 pm »
Well no point just gathering dust and waiting for "ayes" or "nays." Here's what I have for Amun's epithets, I'm sure there's more somewhere:

• Mysterious of Form
  • Lord to the Limit
  • Self-Created One
  • Hidden One
Naisenu (Two Carry Me Across)
Sat Wepwawet her Bast-Mut
Meryt Djehuty her Sekhmet

Wepwa Wikipedia

Offline Tahai

• Shemsu
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2009, 11:25:33 pm »
Hotep Naisenu.

Do you want sources as well?
TahaiBast

Offline Tahai

• Shemsu
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2009, 11:49:56 pm »
Amun rich in names (Amun asha renu)
That which is concealed
Amun who has completed his moment (Amun Kematef)
Eldest of the Gods of the Eastern Sky
Bull of his Mother (Amun Kamutef)
Lord of Victory
Lover of Strength
Lord of the thrones of the Two lands
King of the Gods
Chief of the Gods
Lord of the Silent
The Vizier of the poor
He who comes at the voice of the poor
Amun of the road
 - All from Wilkinson, The Complete Gods and Goddesses of Ancient Egypt

Lord of Mryrh
 - Tamara Siuda, The Ancient Egyptian Prayerbook
TahaiBast

Offline Maen

• Shemsu
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2009, 07:13:03 am »
em hotep!

Great topic you've got there! And I didn't know that the Lexikon der Götterbezeichnungen was online!! SOOO cool! I anyone needs translations from that book, I'll see if I can find the time... Taysat, you want translations for the Sokar-Wesir titles? perhaps I can manage that page tonight...

Now, Amun, a good start!
Looking at the list that you have compiled, Naisenu, I'd divide the titles up into different categories.

For example, there are titles which describe the nature of the God Amun:
"the hidden one" is actually the translation of "amun", and "that which is concealed" is very similar.
There's another title, "high are his feathers", which describes His depiction with the crown of two feathers.
I'd also put "Lord of the Silent" into this group, but I'm not sure about the origin of that title.

Then there are titles that mark Him as a Senior God, a king among His kind:
"Eldest of the Gods of the Eastern Sky"
"King/Chief of the Gods"

As the main God of the New Kingdom, Amun has titles which link Him to the Pharao and the defense of the country:
"Lord of Victory", "Lover of strength", "Lord of the thrones of the two lands"...

Amun as a Vizier of the poor, that's also a development of the New Kingdom: people worshipped Him outside of the great temple functions as a God who was invisible but ever present, someone who would help the poor to achieve Ma'at

And lastly, as far as I know "Amun of the road" is not a title at all! I know that expression from the tale of Wenamun, in that story the "Amun of the road" is a small, portable statue of the God which Wenamun carries with him on his travels.

senebty

Ma'en
Ma'a-en-Hethert ("rightly belonging to HetHert")
Daughter of HetHert-Sekhmet, beloved of Nut, Djehuty and Nit-NebtHet-Seshat

Offline Tanebet

• Rev Astrid, Ordained Clergy, Semer-Wati
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2009, 07:50:48 am »
Maen...unfortunately not the whole Lexikon der Götterbezeichnungen is online (I wish).
With the help of GoogleBook you can find many entries of the Lexikon but they are skipping pages all the time.

I am actually surprised that one can find so many pages of the Lexikon online
Tanebetheru "Heru's Lordship"
Sat Heru Sa Aset her Nisut (AUS), Meryt Ra-Heru-akhety her Heru-Behedety
Heri-Sesheta Heru-Sa-Aset

This is what I was born to: to live, to love, to know, to change and embrace the infinite.
Normandi Ellis: "Awakening Osiris"

Offline Tahai

• Shemsu
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2009, 01:36:01 pm »
Em hotep Ma'en.

And lastly, as far as I know "Amun of the road" is not a title at all! I know that expression from the tale of Wenamun, in that story the "Amun of the road" is a small, portable statue of the God which Wenamun carries with him on his travels.

All Wilkinson says on this is "as 'Amun of the Road' he was also regarded as the protector of travellers."

I'd also put "Lord of the Silent" into this group, but I'm not sure about the origin of that title.

"You are Amun, the Lord of the silent,
Who comes at the voice of the poor;
When I call to you in my distress,
You come to rescue me,
To give breath to him who is wretched,
To rescue me from bondage...
Votive Stela of Nebre, From Deir el Medina, as reproduced by Wilkinson

Hope this helps.

Should we remove 'Lord of the Road'?

Senebty,

Catlin
TahaiBast

Offline Maen

• Shemsu
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2009, 02:16:12 pm »
em hotep

All Wilkinson says on this is "as 'Amun of the Road' he was also regarded as the protector of travellers."

Yes, well, I only know about this "Amun of the road" from the Wenamun story. It is made obvious that Wenamun carries a small statue of the God with him on his travels. So perhaps "Amun of the road" is the name of the small, portable statue, and Wenamun carries it because he is on a mission for the temple. And perhaps Amun really was seen as a protector of travellers, too - I can't find prove for either assumption. I find the first solution more plausible, but that's personal opinion.

senebty

Ma'en
Ma'a-en-Hethert ("rightly belonging to HetHert")
Daughter of HetHert-Sekhmet, beloved of Nut, Djehuty and Nit-NebtHet-Seshat

Offline Taysatwesir

• Shemsu
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2009, 05:00:24 am »
Quote from: Maen
em hotep!

Great topic you've got there! And I didn't know that the Lexikon der Götterbezeichnungen was online!! SOOO cool! I anyone needs translations from that book, I'll see if I can find the time... Taysat, you want translations for the Sokar-Wesir titles? perhaps I can manage that page tonight...

Yes I would Ma'en thank you so much. :)
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by TaysatWesir »
Taysatwesir
This daughter of Wesir
sat Wesir as Ptah-Sokar-Wesir
meryt Mut, Ma'ahes, Bast, and Hethert-Sekhmet

« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2009, 05:21:32 am »
Taysat, you want translations for the Sokar-Wesir titles? perhaps I can manage that page tonight...

Oh!  Oh please!  Oh Pretty please!
--[color:#6600CC]Khusisokar[/color] ('Sokar Stirs')
Son of [color:#6600CC] Sokar-Wesir [/color] and [color:red]Hekatawy I[/color] (AUS!)
Beloved of[color:#3333FF] Nefertem,[/color][color:#009900] Min,[/color] and[color:#663300] Wepwawet-Yinepu[/color]

*Fedw diviner for [color:#6600CC] Sokar[/color]*

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 2418
  • stats Total Posts: 260078
  • stats Total Topics: 17306
  • stats Total Categories: 8
  • stats Total Boards: 97
  • stats Most Online: 182