Register
collapse collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 47
  • Dot Hidden: 1
  • Dot Users: 8
  • Dot Users Online:

Author Topic: Epithets of the Names  (Read 224469 times)

Offline Naisenu

• Shemsu
Re: Epithets of the Names
« Reply #270 on: August 15, 2016, 08:08:00 pm »
Children/beloveds/friends of Wesir. I have finished transcribing out Wesir's epithets from book 8 of the LAGG. They are not translated yet, but the headings are. 81 pages long!

http://wepwawet.org/Epithets/Wesir.pdf
Naisenu (Two Carry Me Across)
Sat Wepwawet her Bast-Mut
Meryt Djehuty her Sekhmet

Wepwa Wikipedia

Online Taqerisenu

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #271 on: August 16, 2016, 10:09:42 am »
Naisenu, you are amazing! Seriously, wow, that's a lot of work!
Taqerisenu
("The Attendant of Two," or "The One That Attends to Two")

Sat Heru-wer her Bast her Hekatawy Alexandros (AUS!)
Meryt Ra, Set, her Nebthet-Nit-Seshat.

Offline Johnny Charlton

« Reply #272 on: November 17, 2016, 11:43:08 am »
Very interested in it as well. Thank you...
« Last Edit: November 17, 2016, 10:26:05 pm by Johnny Charlton »

Offline Nehwen

• Divined Remetj
« Reply #273 on: November 17, 2016, 06:18:20 pm »
Oh, my! Thank you, Naisenu! That's amazing. :)
Sat Wesir | Meryt Bast her Serqet-Aset

You certainly usually find something, if you look, but it is not always quite the something you were after. -J.R.R. Tolkien

Offline cosmia

« Reply #274 on: November 24, 2016, 08:03:04 am »
Howdy! I was wondering if anyone could explain what exactly a semut-woman is in the following epithets of Sobek:

• He who eats when He copulates, who creates for Himself the semut-women to the full extent of His desire
  • Who impregnates the semut-women

The rest of the epithet meanings are pretty clear, but I can't seem to recall what a semut-woman is?

Offline Naisenu

• Shemsu
« Reply #275 on: May 19, 2017, 07:47:26 pm »
I just have to write down what is written.  :) It doesn't always give explanations. But let's see what can be dug up:

http://www.britishmuseum.org/research/collection_online/collection_object_details.aspx?objectId=111312&partId=1
Naisenu (Two Carry Me Across)
Sat Wepwawet her Bast-Mut
Meryt Djehuty her Sekhmet

Wepwa Wikipedia

Offline Sedjfaiemitui

• Shemsu
« Reply #276 on: May 19, 2017, 08:48:59 pm »
Howdy! I was wondering if anyone could explain what exactly a semut-woman is in the following epithets of Sobek:

• He who eats when He copulates, who creates for Himself the semut-women to the full extent of His desire
  • Who impregnates the semut-women

The rest of the epithet meanings are pretty clear, but I can't seem to recall what a semut-woman is?

It's more or less a kind of "The Bull and His Harem" statement, similar to His epithets of "Bull of Bulls, The Great Male" (k3 k3w T3y wr), "Phallus of the Gods" (T3y nTrw) "Phallus of His Hmswt-Women" (T3y hmswt=f -- probably punning with hms, one of several terms for "penis"). We find these very statements cited in the previous comments, verbatim, in the Coffin Texts where the deceased is transforming into Sobek. I've yet to come across an adequate translation specifically defining that term, but by my reckoning, it is probably the same thing as the hmswt-women I just mentioned, which are a group of female entities embodying all feminine life force.

Something that may also help to inform the particular meaning of smwt is that smwt is more than likely making a pun on the term smw. The latter can refer to pastures, vegetables, and herbage, with Sobek being "Green of Plume" (w3D šwt). So, we can infer here that plants and greenery in general are to be considered female, and Sobek is the Great Male governing them, similarly to how Khnum is "the Lord of Ovulation" as per the Esna texts and presides over feminine essence and its Mysteries in that way.

This is, in part, reinforcing His ("He" being Sobek-Shedety, but the Sobek[-Re] of Sumenu also gets this applied to Him) both non-sexual Cosmic Creative and His voracious and irresistible male sexual powers. These voracious and irresistible male sexual powers are above all invoked in funerary contexts where the male creative essence (embodied by semen and erect phalluses in-action) are absolutely vital to the successful heka-transfiguration of the deceased in the Duat. This all channels back into His overwhelming associations with the Inundation, both in its beneficial and life-giving senses and in its violent senses.

Marco Zecchi writes: " [ . . . ] in the same spell [Spell 317, Pyr. §507-510], the King/Sobek is engaged in satisfying all His physiological needs and desires: He 'will eat with His mouth (wnm m r3=f) and 'will urinate and copulate with His penis' (wsš nk m hnn=f); He is also 'The Lord of Semen, Who takes wives from their husbands (nb mtwt iTi hmwt h3y=sn), whenever He wishes, according to His desire (Xft sšp ib-f).' Sobek just follows His own instinct, without regretting having raped women and divided them from their partners. This refusal to suppress His sexual appetites, this disturbing attitude towards women and the fact that Sobek is not able to show any sense of 'otherness' in a relation between the sexes will always be constant features in His associations with the feminine world Essentially, in the Old Kingdom, Sobek's nature remains untamed, in deep sympathy with wild natural objects and repugnant to the gentile forces of society." (Sobek of Shedet: The Crocodile God in the Fayyum in the Dynastic Period, 2010: 18)

Hope this helps!

Senebty,
Sedjfai
"Endowed by Two Fathers"
Sat Set her Amun-Re-Banebdjedet
Meryt Wesir-Herishef, Heru-Wer, her Yinepu
𓃫𓃞 𓀱𓁡 𓅄 𓃤

Offline TahekerutAset

• Shemsu
« Reply #277 on: August 31, 2017, 03:04:21 pm »
Children/beloveds/friends of Wesir. I have finished transcribing out Wesir's epithets from book 8 of the LAGG. They are not translated yet, but the headings are. 81 pages long!

http://wepwawet.org/Epithets/Wesir.pdf

I am not fluent in German.  I tried my best. 

Star Section (Wesir)

He is Orion
Who Creates the Stars
Lord of Heaven as Orion
Lord of the Stars
King of the Untiring Stars
Head of the Imperishable (Stars)
Ruler of the Stars
Orion of the West
Orion in the Sky
Orion in the Sky and on Earth
Perfect Orion