collapse collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 33
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 2
  • Dot Users Online:

Author Topic: A Word on RPD  (Read 126930 times)

A Word on RPD
« on: May 02, 2009, 11:34:36 pm »
I read the latest entry regarding the "Rite of Parent Divination" and felt that it was highly applicable to me, and I'm not sure how happy I should be about that.  

It came to me in this way: I agreed with the Nisut's point that having the individual choose the Name they associate with themselves, puts the power in the hands of the individual.  As if I (for example) were browsing through a lineup in a store for just the right god to go with my wallpaper.  

I doubt it's so callous for anyone who takes this seriously, but I think we all have some idea of how fickle or muddled we, as flawed human beings, can be.  Our earthly preferences can be affected by so much, and by so little.  Our favorite animal, a cool picture we saw, a facet of the god's personality that we want to identify with, etc.  More then half the time we aren't even aware of the factors that influence us, or we rationalize them away without really understanding.  
It's not malicious, it's just the nature of people, of humans, trying to understand ourselves, and how our thoughts work (I'm reminded of one of my favorite quote from Mon Oncle D'amerique An individual's personality "...is built upon a grab-bag of value-judgments, personal prejudices and platitudes...remove a single stone from this edifice and it all crumbles, resulting in anguish")  

Even as I was reading, I nodded my head in agreement.  
But thinking of this brought another thought into my head: what if I ever take part in the RPD myself and find that neither Yinepu or Seth were related to me?  

I was honestly somewhat frightened.  They are the two who I feel the most strongly attracted to.  And I suddenly had to question how loyal I would still be if I were told that Hethert, or Bast, or a more traditionally "obscure" Name was revealed to me.  

It was a moment of very pointed self-invasion.  I felt somewhat ashamed, as if I had revealed a betrayal within myself (that may be part of the "anguish" that Professor Laborit meant in his quote).  

Overall, I feel that such introspection is what keeps us honest with ourselves, and while it's sometimes a kick-in-the-butt to our egos and our feelings of stability, it might help us better understand Ma'at and how it's not always a self-guided journey.

Cirrus

Offline Djehutyendy

• Shemsu
Re: A Word on RPD
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2009, 12:43:38 am »
Em hotep, Cirrus

Quote from: Cirrus

But thinking of this brought another thought into my head: what if I ever take part in the RPD myself and find that neither Yinepu or Seth were related to me?  

I was honestly somewhat frightened.  They are the two who I feel the most strongly attracted to.  And I suddenly had to question how loyal I would still be if I were told that Hethert, or Bast, or a more traditionally "obscure" Name was revealed to me.  

I just want to say that I understand your fear. I waited over a year before I had my RPD, and part of the reason was for what you have expressed in this post. I just want to say that no matter what your line-up is, it does not mean that you cannot have a relationship with another Name.

If Yinepu or Set were not related to you, I do not think that should weaken your relationship with Them. They are a part of your life for a reason (and only you can find what that reason is), and it doesn't matter if They helped make you or not. However, if you have such a strong relationship with Them and feel that They should be in your line-up somewhere, there is a great chance They are.

This is just my 2 cents. But everyone is different.

After I was divined, I was very content with Who showed up (Daughter of Djehuty and Beloved of Hethert), and I tried to accept that Geb didn't show up. I kept just saying that I just had a close relationship with Him. But after only a few months, I knew this was wrong (mainly by Geb telling me), so I asked Hemet to do another divination for me. It turned out He was a Beloved :) Then after this, I got thinking about the whole process of "obtaining a new beloved" and I learned that others have felt that a certain Name should be "related" to them, but that Name really is not. I don't know a whole lot on this, just that I know that quite a few people think a particular Name should be in their line-up, but is not. I do not know any examples that I could explain here (hopefully someone will chime in and add to this).

Ok, so I'm definitely rambling. I hoped this helped even a little. I have more to ramble about but I will stop here. Believe me, your fears are not uncommon among the people in this faith. I have spoken with many people who have said "If X-Name does not show up in my line-up, I will not become a Shemsu." And to be honest, all those I have spoken to about this are Shemsu.

Senebty
Endy
Djehutyendy -- Djehuty is here

Daughter of Djehuty and Beloved of Hethert-Sekhmet and Geb

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2009, 01:47:40 am »
Thank you Djehutyendy for the comfort.  

It's an often overlooked truism, but at times it really is supportive to know that I'm not alone in my fears.  

While fear may now be too strong a word, the uncertainty of not knowing the outcome, and even more biting, not knowing myself, leaves plenty of room for second-guessing and hesitation.  

I try and look at these kind of things as the rumblings of instability as the foundation sits; and after the shift, the structure is more secure because of it.

I've only just started looking into this faith seriously and it's bound to happen that there will be some cataracts between the smooth water.  

So far the solidarity of this community, and the openness with which you share with one another is already doing a lot to help me overcome my trepidations, and I hope that as I have more of these "introspective moments" and begin to understand myself better, I can grow into a better person because of them, and be a better member of the community (if that's my future here).  

Cirrus

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2009, 02:43:15 am »

Em Hotep Cirrus,

I definitely understand your concerns. Every divined remetj has been there. I would say that as long as you don't take this evaluation as some kind of judgement, you should be fine.

There are no losers in the RPD regardless of prior relationships because all of our Gods are awesome, multilayered beings with different kinds of insight and support to share with us. So if you feel prompted to receive the RPD and happen to get a surprise; you aren't losing a God, you're gaining one (or more).

I think that in many cases, in addition to us having chosen our Gods pre-RPD, They may actually have chosen us and we have chosen Them back.

Another way to look at the RPD, is that it highlights whether The Gods we already venerate have chosen us as children, as beloveds or as something else.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Maainakhtsen »
Senebty,
Ma'ai

Painted Tambourines and Drums
"A great pleasure in life is doing what others say you can't." -A Fortune Cookie

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2009, 03:41:29 pm »
Ma'ai, what you last said is interesting, "Another way to look at the RPD is that it highlights whether the Gods we already venerate have chosen us as children, as beloveds or as something else."

I have heard people talk about their RPD's, saying that that was when their Gods "claimed" them....I am slightly confused by this, because aren't our Parent gods with us at least, our whole lives? Since They create our ba? I can understand Beloveds claiming someone, because They help shape our personality in this life.

I like what you said, but I am a little confused by the "choosing" part of it. :)
Daughter of Taweret and Djehuty
Beloved of Amun

We must be the change we wish to see in the world. -Gandhi

Offline Tahai

• Shemsu
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2009, 04:23:54 pm »
Hotep, Riley.

It is my understanding that when people use the term 'claim,' they are referring to that first moment when their parent revealed his or herself, not that we are up for grabs for whoever claims us first.  

Please correct me if I am incorrect.

Blessings and Senebty,

Catlin
TahaiBast
Daughter of Bast.  Beloved of Sobek-Ra, Djehuty, and Sekhmet-Hethert.

Self-care Sekhmet and Sobek-Ra Keeper

Feed the Ka Association (FKA)

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2009, 05:14:45 pm »
Oh ok-thanks for clarifying that Catlin! :)

Senebty,
Daughter of Taweret and Djehuty
Beloved of Amun

We must be the change we wish to see in the world. -Gandhi

Offline kathleen

• Remetj
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2009, 07:14:58 pm »
Quote from: Djehutyendy
you have such a strong relationship with Them and feel that They should be in your line-up somewhere, there is a great chance They are.

I have spoken with many people who have said "If X-Name does not show up in my line-up, I will not become a Shemsu." And to be honest, all those I have spoken to about this are Shemsu.

i have seen quite a few people post stories like this too, and it's comforting to hear!

i understand your concerns as well, Cirrus.  i think the thing that may tend to worry us so is the idea that we may be expected to honor another Name or Names **before** the Name(s) we feel closest to.  we may understand that we can still have relationships with Those we've always had relationships with, but we worry that it somehow won't feel the same.  i think that whether it is or is not is probably largely up to us and the way we react to our results.  

any way you look at it, the RPD is a very big step, but whenever i think i'm getting too angsty about it, i remember that it's not required of us in order to be a member of this wonderful community, and we can take as long as we need to be ready!  :)
Redheads are descended from cats. --Mark Twain

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2009, 02:15:21 am »
Quote from: RileyRose
Ma'ai, what you last said is interesting, "Another way to look at the RPD is that it highlights whether the Gods we already venerate have chosen us as children, as beloveds or as something else."

I have heard people talk about their RPD's, saying that that was when their Gods "claimed" them....I am slightly confused by this, because aren't our Parent gods with us at least, our whole lives? Since They create our ba?

That's the idea. :)

I can understand Beloveds claiming someone, because They help shape our personality in this life.

I like what you said, but I am a little confused by the "choosing" part of it. :)

In addition to what Catlin already said about claiming; I would add that "create" and "choose" are not mutually exclusive terms.

It might also be helpful to consider the idea of Parent Gods creating the ba and whether you feel it applies to people who are not Kemetic.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2009, 02:32:23 am by Maainakhtsen »
Senebty,
Ma'ai

Painted Tambourines and Drums
"A great pleasure in life is doing what others say you can't." -A Fortune Cookie

Offline Tahai

• Shemsu
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2009, 06:43:21 am »
Excellent point, Ma'ai, and one I hadn't really thought much about.  

It might also be helpful to consider the idea of Parent Gods creating the ba and whether you feel it applies to people who are not Kemetic.
TahaiBast
Daughter of Bast.  Beloved of Sobek-Ra, Djehuty, and Sekhmet-Hethert.

Self-care Sekhmet and Sobek-Ra Keeper

Feed the Ka Association (FKA)

Offline Awetitu

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2009, 09:05:32 am »
I was almost 100% certain I was a cat-kid.  I would have sworn on a stack of Bibles that Bast was my mother about 2 years ago.

Bast had been an influence in my life as a Wiccan and She had brought me by the House and pushed me (along with my roommate's gentle coercion...lol) to take the Beginners' Course.  As I took the Beginners' Course, the Name that I was certain was going to be in my line-up slowly started to feel more and more distant to me.  She had, apparently, done Her job and was effectively handing me off to those who, it turned out, are my Parents.  I was upset that She did not appear in my line-up anywhere, but that doesn't mean that I don't still have a relationship with her.
Awetitu - aka Awi
Sa Sobek her Set, mery Heru-wer her Sekhmet-Hethert

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2009, 09:11:17 am »
I understand of what you mean...
Though my experience of this is from past lives still effect me.

Though if it was two years and still feel a concencetion try to medatiate it will help guide you to her or to something greater

Offline Shezatwepwawet

• Moderator (Kemetic Orthodox Q&A)
  • Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2009, 10:50:03 am »
First, just because you get your divination, and whether or not you choose to become Shemsu, there's nothing in there that says you cannot honor other Names. They're probably still around and are VERY unlikely to turn down offerings/prayers/conversations/etc.

Before my RPD I prepped myself for almost Anyone showing up. Always had a jackal draw (even a few interesting dreams over the years), but I truly was not sure Who'd be my Parent, and at a complete loss for any possible Beloved.
Short form: I was divined Wepwawet's daughter (the ONE option I never considered), and looking at both His personality and His kids, and realizing that those qualities were part of me, I quickly got hit with the clue by four that I had been seriously underestimating myself for a very long time.

I'm not quite sure what the point of this post is, only that I needed to make mention of what my RPD taught me. well, one thing anyway.

Cirrus, having both those Names is also interesting to me, because Set is never a solo Parent; He's always one of two.
Senebty,
Zat (She who makes Sekhmet laugh)
Sau apprentice

Sat Wepwawet-Yinepu her Hekatawy Alexandros (AUS) meryt Seshat-Nit-Nebthet her Heru-wer

Offline Sobeqsenu

• Rev. Sobeq - Ordained Clergy
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2009, 01:14:12 pm »
I think the most important thing to remember is that the RPD is not meant to close off relationships with other deities, but to expand, deepen, or introduce an extremely important kind of relationship with certain deities. I'd say it's equally as important to be able to maintain a relationship with deities not present in one's RPD as it is to honor one's Parents and Beloveds appropriately.

Personally, I didn't have any Names I was expecting NOT show up - the only one I was really hoping for was my Father, Wepwawet. Beyond that, all the Names Who stepped forward were surprising to some degree. There were Names I was interested in, but the fact that they didn't turn up in the divination hasn't eliminated them from my life.

That said, excellent points about the fickle nature of human attraction. Very very interesting stuff. :)

Senebty,
Sobeq
Rev. Sobeqsenu
Priest of Wepwawet and Sekhmet-Mut
Beloved of Bast, Nut, Khonsu, and Nebt-het
W'ab Nekhen Ib Imau-sen | Heri-sesheta Wepwawet

Offline Arienihethert

• Tawy Bak
  • W'ab Priest - Lay Clergy
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2009, 11:34:03 am »
Way back when I first found these gods, I had a very active relationship with Sekhmet. It was through her that I began to understand Hethert, and learning about Hethert helped me learn more about Sekhmet. I like them together, and always felt that I had connected well with both.

Then I was divined a child of Hethert-Mut--no Sekhmet in sight. So I put her statue a way for a while and just focused on the gods of my RPD. Then Taweret found her way onto my shrine, and then I moved, and when I set up my shrine here, it was time for Sekhmet to go back up. After thinking about it for a while, she's still a part of my life, and a part I value very highly. It makes me happy to have her up there next to Mom again. :)

Not sure if any of that is helpful, but that's my experience.
Look out the window. And doesn't this remind you of when you were in the boat, and then later that night you were lying looking up at the ceiling, and the water in your head was not dissimilar from the landscape, and you think to yourself Why is it that the landscape is moving but the boat is still?

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 2521
  • stats Total Posts: 266212
  • stats Total Topics: 17725
  • stats Total Categories: 8
  • stats Total Boards: 98
  • stats Most Online: 182