collapse collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 48
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 5
  • Dot Users Online:

Author Topic: What do you wear?  (Read 148777 times)

Offline Darytessekhmet

• Moderator (Prayer Requests Forums)
  • W'ab Priest - Lay Clergy
What do you wear?
« on: June 18, 2009, 07:31:12 am »
Since I see so many religious people wear symbols of their faith (such as crosses, pentagrams, stars of david, etc.), it got me wondering what the people of KO like to wear as a symbol of their beliefs.  The first thing that comes to mind is the ankh, but I know there are so many symbols to choose from.

Would anyone like to share?

Daughter of Sekhmet and Nisut Hekatawy(AUS)
W'abet Nekhen sehotep.tu ib-es yim-ef, The Shrine in Which Her Heart is Appeased

Her Father controls Sekhmet, Sekhmet subdues evil, Sekhmet controls Her temper
Even small rivers keep the lands green and the oceans wet.

Offline Tahai

• Shemsu
Re: What do you wear?
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2009, 07:35:56 am »
I have the jewelry I make for my line-up.  It looks mainstream, but is designed specifically for them.  I don't like to answer intrusive questions from strangers, so I keep my faith low-key in public.
TahaiBast
Daughter of Bast.  Beloved of Sobek-Ra, Djehuty, and Sekhmet-Hethert.

Self-care Sekhmet and Sobek-Ra Keeper

Feed the Ka Association (FKA)

Offline Kefetmisenu

• Divined Remetj
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2009, 08:21:07 am »
I wear an ankh and a bracelet Tahai made for me. I honestly would wear a lot more because I don't care what people think of me.
[color:purple]Kefetmisenu
Sat Heru-wer her Hethert-Sekhmet[/color]
[color:violet]The nutball Kemetic/Pagan/Witch artist of KO
Icon is my own artwork[/color]

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2009, 08:26:35 am »
I have three ankh necklaces at this point (one a gift from my brother, one a gift from two of my close friends for being in their wedding, and one I got myself  at Pride last year), and a set of hair sticks with ankhs on the end. I have another ankh necklace  that I was led to at a flea market a few years ago that broke, so I'm thinking of taking the pendant for a set of prayer beads but that project hasn't really come together yet. I used to have a pair of ankh earrings years ago (before I knew about KO) but those also broke.

Then I have a few that aren't overtly Kemetic that I made in honor of various Names. I made one in honor of Nut, a choker of blue beads with a black bead with silver stars on it as the focus, and I wore it constantly for about a year until the line wore out. I made one in honor of Wepwawet with tiger's eye, garnet, copper, and "poetry" dog tags that say "Hard Road Free Heart" on grey thread. I made one in honor of the Bawy with red jasper, red beads, and dog tags that say "They Who Reveal Truth" on orange thread, but it broke and I'm not sure if that's because it served its purpose or because the dog tags are too heavy and I should remake it with stronger line. I made one in honor of the Eyes of Ra a few months ago with garnet, tiger's eye, orange freshwater pearls, orange and red seed beads, and a sun pendant (which called to me during a Michaels trip for something else).

I also have a silver chalice that I wear as a symbol of my UU faith.
Tumblr | Twitter

Seeing the Sun when I can't really see
Hoping the Sun will at least look at me

--Moby

Offline Taqaisenu

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2009, 09:01:55 am »
I wear three pieces of faith-based jewelry, alongside my usual pendants.  Near my collar, I wear a subtle ankh pendant.  Typically when at work, I try to tuck this under my shirt collar if I am able, but it's always popping out.  (I tuck not so much to hide my religion, but because I already wear two pendants outside of my shirts and I don't want to be known as "Too Much Jewelry Girl".)  I wear the ankh to remind me of my Parents, my faith, and my love for Netjer.

Beneath my shirt I wear an udjat pendant on a long chain, it hangs close to my heart.  This is 'hidden' because of my other pendants, I couldn't find a chain length that would make all four pendants look good together, and not too Mr. T.  The udjat drew the short straw to remain under the shirt because it is a bronzy color and the rest of my jewelry is silver.  I wear the udjat for protection and strength, to remind me of my Beloveds and Their influence in my life.

I also wear a bracelet which is turning out to be dedicated to the Gods of the Year.  Last year, for the Bawy, I wore this cute little two-heart bracelet and had Chococat and Badtz Maru charms on the clasps.  This year I am wearing bracelets that Menekh had made and donated to the House for fundraising.  Because I am VERY rough on bracelets, on the days that I don't feel comfortable and am afraid I'll break or lose one, I will wear a bracelet that I made in honor of Ra and Khnum.

I keep these items of jewelry on my shrine.  Every morning when I am getting ready, I stop and reflect on the Gods of the Year, my Beloveds, and my Parents as I put on my jewelry.  In the evenings, I reflect again and thank Them as I remove the items.
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others."
 - Groucho Marx

Sat Set her Hethert-Sekhmet, meryt Heru-Wer, Djehuty her Amun.
Fedw Diviner

Sit Down, Parakeet | Twitter

Offline Menekh

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2009, 09:10:01 am »
Em Hotep.

I don't wear much jewelry, with the exception of Temple activities where I wear things I've made associated with Djehuty, and some other pieces.

I usually wear certain things under my shirt as circumstances seem to dictate.  Throughout the Spring, I was wearing a lapis necklace that I made.   For the past few weeks, I've been wearing a Hawk's Eye scarab on a plain black linen string.  I like Him muchly.

I guess I'm just not a "man jewelry" kind of guy although I am prone to wearing more at home and I was recently given a very nice bracelet.

I have a gold cartouche ring with my shemsu name written in glyphs, but it only comes out on special occaisions.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Menekh »
"One does not beg the sun for mercy."
- Frank Herbert

Offline Shezatwepwawet

• Moderator (Kemetic Orthodox Q&A)
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2009, 09:19:09 am »
I'm wearing one today: this ankh pendant set with carnelian.  I have several Kemetic pendants. An Aset knot (?), standing Jackal (worn every Monday for Dad), a silver winged scarab holding up a sun with an ankh in it (pendant from Egypt), an elaborate Djehuty that comes out rarely, and a lotus with moonstone on top that Seshat loves.
Senebty,
Zat (She who makes Sekhmet laugh)
Sau apprentice

Sat Wepwawet-Yinepu her Hekatawy Alexandros (AUS) meryt Seshat-Nit-Nebthet her Heru-wer

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2009, 09:29:32 am »
Got an Udjat and an Ankh necklace. I must say I am looking forward getting my shemsu name in glyphs on a cartouche pendant and on the other side get my "goverment name" giggle.

Maybe a cartouche braclet. hmmmmmm...
Khety (formerly Meritaten)
A'AbuRaHeruakhety--"Ra's Purity/Ra's Purification"
Sat Ra-Heruakhety
Meryt Set, Nut her Aset-Serqet.

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2009, 09:35:06 am »
Quote from: Pharess
Since I see so many religious people wear symbols of their faith (such as crosses, pentagrams, stars of david, etc.), it got me wondering what the people of KO like to wear as a symbol of their beliefs.  The first thing that comes to mind is the ankh, but I know there are so many symbols to choose from.

Would anyone like to share?

I try to remember to put a necklace on when I go out, but I forget a lot. That's why I now have BCRs in my ears. No way could I remember earrings all the time.

When I do remember and I want to wear something to remind me of the Gods and more specifically of Him, I have a silver "Anubis" head that I bought to represent Wepwawet (I linked it on the forums somewhere actually)

Anything else would either annoy me (I can't even wear a watch) or be forgotten.
Henyt
Fedw diviner for Wepwawet, tarot reader for Aset+Serqet

Sat Wepwawet, meryt Serqet, Bast, her Ra-Heruakhety

Offline Mezaenaset

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2009, 09:43:27 am »
Em hotep, Pharess!

I tend to wear Ankhs more often than not.  My current favorite one is a reproduction of the Ankhs in the 1976 movie, "Logan's Run".  I have several other ones that I like to wear, too.

Once in a while I will wear my big Udjat... usually when I want to be sure to "see" everthing, if ya know what I mean.

I like wearing my Khepera cuff bracklet, too.  It's thick and shiny!

If going to a public ritual or magical event, I will usually wear my silver Aset horned disk (the disk is black onyx).

Senebty,

~Meza~
Sa Aset-Serqet her Nisut (AUS) Hekatawy I
Mery Bast-Mut, Sekhmet-Hethert, Yinepu-Wepwawet, NebetHet-Nit-Seshat her Djehuty

« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2009, 09:48:35 am »
I've got two silver ankhs and a few other special charms that I like wearing, but I can't find the right necklace to wear them on, so I've not been wearing them at all.

That, and I go through phases in my desire to wear jewellery. Sometimes I just can't stand to have anything around my neck. I reckon I make up for it by buying jewellery for my icons. Sobek likes teh shineh green sparkly things rather a lot. XD
Sobekemiti ('Sobek is my Daddy')
Solitary Polytheist, Scribe, Hem-Netjer Sobek, and Druid

Dreamwidth Journal|Per Sebek

Offline Sobeqsenu

• W'ab Priest - Lay Clergy
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2009, 09:56:31 am »
I wear my Shemsu-Ankh scarab generally, but if I feel it would be inappropriate to wear that for any reason, I'll either wear a small silver scarab, or a small silver ankh tucked away under my shirt - or nothing. I don't usually wear much jewelry, though - just one necklace, if that, and my claddagh ring.
Child of Wepwawet & Sekhmet-Mut
Child of (Hekatawy Alexandros)|
Beloved of Bast, Nut, Khonsu & Nebthet
W’ab Nekhen Ib Imau-sen

Offline Tanebet

• Rev Astrid, Ordained Clergy, Semer-Wati
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2009, 10:47:52 am »
Em Hotep,

I am switching between my udjat and Heru necklace and I am not hiding them. So far only one person approached me regarding the udjat and she was either a Christian fanatic or a little bit off her rocker because she said that the snake which is part of the udjat pendant would bite me. But that happened many many years ago.
Tanebetheru "Heru's Lordship"
Sat Heru Sa Aset her Nisut (AUS), Meryt Ra-Heru-akhety her Heru-Behedety
Heri-Sesheta Heru-Sa-Aset

This is what I was born to: to live, to love, to know, to change and embrace the infinite.
Normandi Ellis: "Awakening Osiris"

Offline Taysatwesir

• Shemsu
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2009, 11:00:25 am »
Right now I'm working on my Wesir pendant braclet. I'm trying to find the right beads so far I have a few.
Taysatwesir
This daughter of Wesir
sat Wesir as Ptah-Sokar-Wesir
meryt Mut, Ma'ahes, Bast, and Hethert-Sekhmet

« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2009, 11:07:33 am »
I wear a silver Ankh. I've worn an Ankh for many years; since the early 1990s. For a while, I wore a piece of polished mammoth ivory I cut and polished myself. But I now wear the Ankh again. Sometimes I wear both. The ivory has a very soothing feel to it and I would usually always be rubbing it. I wear the Ankh as an amulet as well as a symbol of my faith. The ivory is an amulet also. The silver Ankh I wear feels as good to rub as the ivory, so this is a very good one. I can't describe it, but I have some pendants that just don't have a "feel" to them. This Ankh and the ivory are the two pendants I have that do. This tells me they carry a lot of power as amulets. The Ankh is nice to touch when perhaps I see something enlightening or special. It's also nice to touch to one's lips after prayer.

I think pendants/amulets have influenced human gestures of a certain type. I strongly suspect that when people talk and wish to make an emphatic point, or they get flustered or upset and they reach for the base of their throat or top of their chest and put their hand there, they're drawing on ancient genetic memory of reaching for the comfort of an amulet. So, there's something to this if I'm right.
http://guerillachefhq.blogspot.com/

Heads Carolina, tails California
Somewhere greener, somewhere warmer...

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 2418
  • stats Total Posts: 260078
  • stats Total Topics: 17306
  • stats Total Categories: 8
  • stats Total Boards: 97
  • stats Most Online: 182
anything