Register
collapse collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 42
  • Dot Hidden: 1
  • Dot Users: 3
  • Dot Users Online:

Author Topic: Netjer and the Lion King?  (Read 10083 times)

Offline Bastmuttepta

• Shemsu-Ankh
Re: Netjer and the Lion King?
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2011, 02:46:36 pm »
Haha, it's funny to see this thread resurrected all of a sudden :) Glad you guys liked it!

Senebty!
Bastmuttepta - "Bast-Mut since the beginning; Bast-Mut survives; Bast-Mut perpetuates" | Sat Bast-Mut her Nisut (AUS) Meryt Sekhmet-Hethert, Serqet-Aset, Mafdet, Sobek, her Ptah-Sokar-Wesir | Fedw Diviner for Bast-Mut

« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2011, 01:19:30 am »
I've seen a lot of parallels in many forms of art - written, theater/movie, audio.  It's an integral part of me.  I think it's how the gods speak to me a lot of the time - or so, I hope I'm not wrong in this thinking.  So, while I agree that The Lion King's story is not exclusive to Egypt as previously said, I can agree that there are similarities, and perhaps even some divine interventions. ;)
"Give sorrow a Sailor smile."
~ "Makenai" by Hanazawa Kae; Sailor Moon Stars, Season 5, episode 200

"Beyond this road, running on far and long, must surely be something we can believe in."
~ "Pure Heart" by Rikki; Final Fantasy VII, "Aerith's Theme"

Offline Rev. Sehedjef

• Semer-Wati
  • W'ab (priest)
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2011, 01:55:51 pm »
All I have to say is that if Heru-sa-Aset comes by singing Hakuna Matata....I'm pulling the covers over my head and going back to sleep!  ^_^

Imti
Rev. Sehedjef
(He shines with the beauty of the truth of his Mothers)
Sa Nebthet her Serqet
Mery Ptah her Tasenetnofret

« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2011, 06:10:26 am »
You know, The Lion King was my favorite movie as a child, and Heru sa aset was the one that got me into Kemetic stuff!
http://netjeru.comicgenesis.com/comics/20070104.jpg
« Last Edit: January 24, 2011, 08:51:58 pm by Aves »

« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2011, 11:46:16 am »
I do not feel that these parallels were intentional.  The plot of the movie and the plot of the Heru-sa-Aset story is the same one that has been used in a thousand myths, books, and movies.

Offline Khesretitui

• Shemsu
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2011, 03:49:40 pm »
It was also, IIRC, heavily inspired by Tezuka Osamu's "Jungle Emperor" feature, also known in the West as "Kimba the White Lion."
Khesretitui
"My Fathers Dispel Evil"

Sat Set her Ra-Heruakhety
Meryt Heru-wer her Yinepu-Wepwawet

Offline Sekhmetnenek

• Shemsu
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2011, 12:55:50 am »
Kemetic themes are really not all that uncommon in Disney's work it seems. For instance, in The Princess and The Frog when Ray dies he becomes a star and is reunited with his love Evangeline. Akhu, shining as gold in the vault of Nut, anyone? :)
Sekhmetnenek|Sekhmet Belongs to Me|
Sa Sekhmet-Hethert,
Mery Nebthet-Nit-Seshat

Offline Linda

• Remetj
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2011, 02:33:53 am »
I never tought of it this way either. It makes perfect sense, and makes Kemet easy for a beginner like me to understand. :)
You don't know what you can do until you try.

Offline Munefmontu

• Shemsu
« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2011, 12:09:14 pm »
Quote from: Faofeng
Apparently Walt Disney was scared of witches and anything occult or Pagan (I remember reading it once but unfortunately I don't have any sources). It is unlikely that they have these parallels on purpose

For a man that was afraid of the occult ... he made an awful lot of movies about it. Just about every Disney movie has some sort of "magic". ...and talk about pagan...Have you ever seen The Black Cauldron? That has to be just about as pagan as Disney can get....well besides turning Beethoven's pastoral symphony into a bacchanalia.

I always thought the Lion King was very very "kemetic" :)  
Sat Montu
Meryt Amun-Ra her Sekhmet her Khnum

"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgement that something else is more important than fear." -Ambrose Redmoon

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 3312
  • stats Total Posts: 299385
  • stats Total Topics: 20544
  • stats Total Categories: 8
  • stats Total Boards: 119
  • stats Most Online: 955