collapse collapse

* Donation Status

8%
Current donation status as of October 30, 2021 = $211.74 of $2,500 or 8%
Donate!

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 37
  • Dot Hidden: 1
  • Dot Users: 6
  • Dot Users Online:

Author Topic: avoiding gods  (Read 74420 times)

Offline weshebutAmunRa

• Divined Remetj
Re: avoiding gods
« Reply #30 on: September 30, 2009, 10:42:18 am »
Em Hotep,

The only god I've ever had genuine *fear* of is Bast. And She still weirds me out a little. Her lesson for me is complicated and isn't something I want to go into here, but she decended on me when Hemet declared a 10 days of joy holiday in Her name. She hung around me so much and so intensely for a while, and nowadays if any of my gods are hanging around, She's the first one there.

I also adore Sekhmet, but I don't go out of my way to see Her because I'm afraid She's horribly dissapointed in me. I don't feel that way with any other gods except my Father, but I approach Him more than Sekhmet or any other.

I also don't feel it's nessicarily a bad thing to feel afraid or weirded out by certain gods or all gods; after all, they are gods, much larger and more unfathomable than anything else, no matter how much we think we might know them. If Someone really wants to communicate with you, They will, somehow, regardless of how you feel about Them. And as someone pointed out earlier, your weird feelings regarding Them might be a form of Them communicating with you or a sign that you have something to learn from Them.

senebty,
weshebut

edited to add on: heck, there might be other gods I'm afraid of, but I just don't know it because I haven't met Them ;)
« Last Edit: September 30, 2009, 10:44:25 am by weshebutAmunRa »
sa/t Amun-Ra
mery/t Mut, Yinepu, Khonsu, Serqet, and Bast

"Let me be your reason; let me be your spark. Let me be the torch that sets fire to your heart." Nachtmahr, "The Torch"

« Reply #31 on: September 30, 2009, 12:01:07 pm »
Em hotep,

I've found that getting to know the children of other Names has helped a great deal in getting over any fear or intimidation I may have about their Parent(s). :)

Offline Rev. Shezatwepwawet

• W'ab (priest) - Moderator (Kemetic Orthodox Q&A)
« Reply #32 on: September 30, 2009, 01:04:17 pm »
Quote from: WosretBast
Em hotep,

I've found that getting to know the children of other Names has helped a great deal in getting over any fear or intimidation I may have about their Parent(s). :)

This.
I used to be wary of Set (OK, still am kinda) until I got to know a few of His kids and they're not scary to me at all.

Actually, the closest I've been to "fearing" any Name has been extreme intimidation from Sekhmet and Heru-wer. In Sekhmet's case, it's because early in '08 I was going through some Stuff. Among them was many little physical infections piling on top of each other. One morning, I stood in shrine and put out a prayer to Her that I might heal up from the infections WITHOUT them knocking me out further.
I did this prayer around 7 in the morning. Around 2.30 that afternoon I was at work and feeling a chill, like someone left a window open. 3.30, oh, that feels like a fever, I wonder if I have the flu. 4.30 my teeth were loudly chattering because I was so cold AND burning up with fever. That took three days, but it got out all the infection.  
Then I met Her at the healing ceremony at Wep Ronpet that year. She broke my brain, hugged me, and took a flower petal from Her bowl, wiped my face with the liquid in said bowl, and put them petal in my mouth. Not wanting to be rude and spit it out... I started to chew. She laughed and hugged me.

With Heru-wer, I've never known what to make of Him, especially as he was popping in to peek at me a lot during the spring of last year. (In retrospect it makes total sense between Bawy year and my dealing with a lot of junk.) Wasn't until the baths this year that I finally felt comfortable around Him, because I asked Him if I needed to do anything for Him or if we were good, and He said "No, we're good" which filled me with warmth.
Senebty,
Zat (She who makes Sekhmet laugh)
Sau apprentice | Fedw | The Library | zat@kemet.org

Sat Wepwawet-Yinepu her Hekatawy Alexandros (AUS) meryt Seshat-Nit-Nebthet her Heru-wer her Aset-Serqet

Offline Taji

• Divined Remetj
« Reply #33 on: September 30, 2009, 03:04:43 pm »
Quote from: Qaitsenu
I found out that everything I'd been afraid of was my doing.  

Totally.  And that's why I said that I think the Names we're afraid of and want to avoid often end up as significant as those we are drawn to.  Not because of Them, but because of US.  That there is something in ourselves that responds to something in that God with fear.  Approaching it rather than running from it is generally just the "growth experience" we need.

In my case with Heru-wer, the word "avoid" was an entirely accurate description of what I was doing.  Sure, there are gods I don't connect to one way or the other; that's not what I am speaking to.  I am speaking to an active fear of a God that prompts avoidance behaviors.  THAT is worth paying attention to.  And probably the best course of action is to stop avoiding and face the fear head on, because that Name probably has something really important to teach that will enable you to learn more about yourself and to grow as a person.  In my case, I ran from Heru-wer because my issue was with strength, self-advocacy and faith in self.  All things I had trouble with and that scared me.  But very very important things for me to face.  :)
« Last Edit: September 30, 2009, 03:09:05 pm by Taji »
Taseddjebbastmut,
Daughter of Bast-Mut
Beloved of Yinepu, Sekhmet, Set, Heru-wer, & Aset

Online TabauAmunet

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #34 on: September 30, 2009, 04:31:20 pm »
Quote from: Awi
WARNING: DEVIL'S ADVOCATE WARNING! Set kid opinion ahead. Some of you may be offended by this. ...... Senebty.

Too much to quote the whole thing, but QFT!

Netjer is impossible to avoid, that's why I seek Names out. :)

Sensenet has Heru-wer as a Dad and Set as a Beloved, and our house hasn't exploded yet, either!

As for Heru-sa-Aset, it's mostly just negative (at least on my end) experience with Him each time I've come to Him. So realistically, my wording is wrong. I rubbed me the wrong way about Him, but I'm not over it yet. lol
Senebty!
~Tabauamunet
Child of Mut-as-Amunet, beloved of Sekhmet-HetHert, Seshat-Nit-NebtHet, Bast, Amun-Min, Nefertem, and Bawy
Fedw diviner for Amunet/Mut

Offline Seshagemseger

• Divined Remetj
« Reply #35 on: September 30, 2009, 09:22:04 pm »
Em hotep!

I was once terrified of Aset, and hoped to avoid Her as much as possible.  But I've since come to understand and get to know Her better.

I used to think the phrase "fear of God" was depressing and really the wrong way to interact with one's deity.  Then I realized that it was not fear, but cowardice I was objecting to.  I do fear Netjer, and even my own Mother can be quite intimidating at times.  But I don't run or hide, because there is no reason to, and it wouldn't help anyway :)
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Seshagemseger »
Child of Seshat
Beloved of Hethert, Serqet, and Shu
seshat.org / Facebook / LiveJournal

« Reply #36 on: September 30, 2009, 10:25:53 pm »
I don't go out of my way to avoid any of the Names, bud I am more comfortable with some than others.  For example, Aset's presence is unnerving for me.  In a way her power is just as fearsome, if not more so, than that of Set or Sekhmet.  She doessn't seem very bothered by my feelings for her either.  Regardless of my nervousness, she is still there.  One cannot truly avoid Netjer.  I could only try to ignore some of the Names, which would be more harmful than helpful.  Of course this doesn't mean that I have to regularly pray to the Names I am less than fond of...
Kehawi
Sa Amun-Ra her Set
Mery Serqet her Heru-wer

Offline Sekhmetbitu

• Shemsu
« Reply #37 on: October 01, 2009, 01:04:15 pm »
Quote from: Awetitu
Em hotep.
There's a LOT of talk her about avoiding Names and disliking certain Names and what have you and it has set me to wondering what do They think of all of this? Sadly, if some of the Names in question here ever DID try to correct the common misperceptions about themselves, I fear that they would come across as bullying and mean and even more intimidating.

Well said, I would never say I dislike a Name, only that I am intimidated by a few. However, I've found that this intimidation is sometimes (not always) due to a lack of knowing, and I won't say I dislike Someone I don't know well based on unfamiliarity. I was unfamiliar with and intimidated by Set up until last year, and after an incident with Him, I like Him quite a lot. I also became closer to Bast after reaching out to Her, too.

I think seeing the diversity of Netjer's children here shows that there's something to love and connect with about all of them.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2009, 01:09:18 pm by Sekhmetbitu »
Sekhmetbitu "Sekhmet's (Good) Charachter"

[color:#CC0000]Sat Sekhmet[/color]
[color:#990099]Meryt Mut & Khenty-Amentiu[/color]

Offline kathleen

• Remetj
« Reply #38 on: October 01, 2009, 08:18:50 pm »
Quote from: weshebutAmunRa
I also adore Sekhmet, but I don't go out of my way to see Her because I'm afraid She's horribly dissapointed in me.

i worry about that with Her, too.  a lot.  and then i remind myself that while She has *extremely* high standards, She is also very understanding and forgiving.  :)
Redheads are descended from cats. --Mark Twain

Offline Enbibibast

• Shemsu
« Reply #39 on: October 01, 2009, 08:42:56 pm »
Heru-wer told me off pretty good once after I asked him a question so I've pretty much been avoiding speaking to Him ever since. I'm used to being answered kindly (both in the positive or negative) if I ask one of the Names a question, so, that was kind of shocking to me. Maybe in the future I'll try again but as of now, no way. :[
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Enbibibast »
Enbibibast | Bibi
Daughter of Bast
Beloved of | Wepwawet-Yinepu | Djehuty | Sekhmet-Hethert | Heru-wer |
Tumblr

« Reply #40 on: October 01, 2009, 10:42:47 pm »
Em Hotep,

Maybe I a a strange one but I don't find any of the gods scary, or am I fearfull of them. Even though I have been tossed around by a few of them. I just chaulk it up to I needed it.

But I am also not afraid of much. I on many times get yelled at or even hit with a bat...(Etheral Bat that is) but it is all good.

But I am a jackyl kid that is not afraid to stand my ground if I need too.
Yinepuwepef
Shemsu-Ankh
Sa Yinepu Mery Aset her Hethert her Nit-Nebthet-Seshat

http://www.livejournal.com/~jackyl30/

Offline The Tai'awepwawet System

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #41 on: October 02, 2009, 06:43:52 am »
Quote from: Enbibibast
Heru-wer told me off pretty good once after I asked him a question so I've pretty much been avoiding speaking to Him ever since. I'm used to being answered kindly (both in the positive or negative) if I ask one of the Names a question, so, that was kind of shocking to me. Maybe in the future I'll try again but as of now, no way. :[

Yeah, after meeting him at the Sekhmet baths, I'm like, D: I'm terrified of him now.

I'm used to being answered kindly, and I *need* to be answered kindly. There is totally no reason for anybody, God or man, to be particularly harsh to me. It just upsets me and blurs the message, because I spend the next X months crying and going "why did he say it like that? he just had to tell me normally".

Thankfully no Gods I've worked with have seemed the sort to do anything like that. They know better :P
Tjema'awy | Sekhemib
Meset Wepwawet her (Hekatawy Alexandros)|
Meryt Serqet, Bast, Ra-Heruakhety, Hethert-Amenti, Nit-Nebthet-Seshat, her Sekhmet-Hethert
𓃧-𓆫𓃠𓅊𓋀𓋌𓁴
Our Blog + Links to Carrd and Incense Spreadsheet

Offline Maainakhtsen

« Reply #42 on: October 02, 2009, 07:12:41 am »
Quote from: Taiawepwawet
Quote from: Enbibibast

Yeah, after meeting him at the Sekhmet baths, I'm like, D: I'm terrified of him now.

I'm used to being answered kindly, and I *need* to be answered kindly. There is totally no reason for anybody, God or man, to be particularly harsh to me. It just upsets me and blurs the message, because I spend the next X months crying and going "why did he say it like that? he just had to tell me normally".

Thankfully no Gods I've worked with have seemed the sort to do anything like that. They know better :P

Wow, I can't imagine living in you guys' Universes! My Parents (Heru-wer being One) are about 70% abrasive. Not even TO me necessarily, but just in general, as well as to me. I kinda love that about Them!

Then again, I have noticed that what other people experience as "unkind" does not strike me as such. I may even experience the same thing as loving... I wonder if this is part of why we have different Gods...
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Maainakhtsen »
Senebty,
Ma'ai

"A great pleasure in life is doing what others say you can't." -A Fortune Cookie

« Reply #43 on: October 02, 2009, 07:51:39 am »
Quote from: Taiawepwawet

I've always had a good relationship with Uncle Heru-wer... (He's my Beloved, so I refer to Him as "Uncle" which He doesn't seem to mind).  I definitely get the more militaristic aspect of Him... and I can understand why folks might find that scary (especially if you're not used to that kind of persona... but since I grew up in that environment, I understand it and like Ma'ai, even find it loving - not saying that is how you get Him Ma'ai... just drawing a correllation as to how others interpret something as off putting can be seen as loving.)  
He was totally loving to me at the Baths... very understanding...and not at all the gruffness I'm used to. (even soldiers get wounded from time to time and need tenderness).

Senebty,

Qaitsenu

I will be remembered by those whose lives I've most affected, and least realized it.

W'abet Djehuty her Bast | Herisesheta Bast
Sau Apprentice | Fedw Diviner | The Original Kitbis

http://deskofthescribe.blogspot.com

Offline The Tai'awepwawet System

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #44 on: October 02, 2009, 08:34:49 am »
I think what I didn't like at the baths was how unpredictable he was. He could be pleasant one minute, and the next be throwing something at you. And I reaaaally can't deal with that, it makes me want to cry in a corner >.> Even if it was meant 'as a joke'. I'm not sure why.

@Ma'ai, I figure it is why we have different Gods, and also why some of them have so many aspects to them. *We* are all so different, and need such different things to be able to grow. And as we grow, what we need will change. So we end up with this huge diversity in Netjer, 'too soft' for some, 'too harsh' for others, but always suitable for someone.
Tjema'awy | Sekhemib
Meset Wepwawet her (Hekatawy Alexandros)|
Meryt Serqet, Bast, Ra-Heruakhety, Hethert-Amenti, Nit-Nebthet-Seshat, her Sekhmet-Hethert
𓃧-𓆫𓃠𓅊𓋀𓋌𓁴
Our Blog + Links to Carrd and Incense Spreadsheet

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 3496
  • stats Total Posts: 303998
  • stats Total Topics: 21093
  • stats Total Categories: 9
  • stats Total Boards: 124
  • stats Most Online: 955
SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal