collapse collapse

* Donation Status

8%
Current donation status as of October 30, 2021 = $211.74 of $2,500 or 8%
Donate!

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 34
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 4
  • Dot Users Online:

Author Topic: Christmas?  (Read 111040 times)

Christmas?
« on: November 10, 2009, 01:57:54 pm »
Something I've always wondered, and since it's not too far off, was wether or not you members celebrate Christmas or just pass on it?

Offline Tuwer

• Divined Remetj
Re: Christmas?
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2009, 02:39:25 pm »
For me, Christmas has two aspects: the sacred (religious) and secular. I don't celebrate the sacred, but I do celebrate the secular aspect with family... decorated trees, gifts, and enjoying the time with family and friends that don't live close enough to visit very often. Christmas is a time of reflection on what is important for me, as well. :)
Senebty,
~ Tuwer
~ Daughter of Bast-Mut and (Hekatawy-Alexandros)| (AUS), Beloved of Amun-Ra & Khonsu

Offline Bastmuttepta

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2009, 03:10:46 pm »
I definitely celebrate secular Christmas. The secular activities and the religious activities for the most part are easily separated- trees, buying gifts for your family, decorations, carols- they're not things specific to the Christmas religious holiday. Nativities, religious christmas carols, going to Church, etc- I don't partake in those, though I have gone to Church in the past simply to show support for my family in their belief. Most of the Christmas traditions society partakes in pre-date the establishment of the Christmas "Holy-day" so I don't see them as being too terribly related.

Senebty,

Laura
Bastmuttepta - "Bast-Mut since the beginning; Bast-Mut survives; Bast-Mut perpetuates" | Sat Bast-Mut her Nisut (AUS) Meryt Sekhmet-Hethert, Serqet-Aset, Mafdet, Sobek, her Ptah-Sokar-Wesir | Fedw Diviner for Bast-Mut

Offline Senedjem

• Shemsu
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2009, 03:18:29 pm »
Em hotep!

I'd say I enjoy secular stuff at Christmas- Christmas music, parties, dinner, Christmas candy, egg nog, and such.

Senebty

Offline Taji

• Divined Remetj
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2009, 03:22:36 pm »
I celebrate it secularly and as a form of ancestor veneration.  Because it was important to them too.  
Taseddjebbastmut,
Daughter of Bast-Mut
Beloved of Yinepu, Sekhmet, Set, Heru-wer, & Aset

Offline The Tai'awepwawet System

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2009, 03:55:20 pm »
I don't believe in either spiritual or secular Christmas.

Spritual Christmas is not Christian, it's Yule, except it's not Pagan, so I find it just a big [censored].

Secular Christmas? It's a RELIGIOUS festival (albeit a made up substitute one), there is no such thing to me.

I return presents to the people who feel the need to give them to me, ie: my parents (and pretty much just them), but that's it really. It's a nice private little gift giving thingy.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2009, 06:19:22 pm by Webmaster »
Tjema'awy | Sekhemib
Meset Wepwawet her (Hekatawy Alexandros)|
Meryt Serqet, Bast, Ra-Heruakhety, Hethert-Amenti, Nit-Nebthet-Seshat, her Sekhmet-Hethert
𓃧-𓆫𓃠𓅊𓋀𓋌𓁴
Our Blog + Links to Carrd and Incense Spreadsheet

Offline Huyitu

• Shemsu
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2009, 05:12:47 pm »
I love Christmas, its the only good thing about winter time other than its end. Its the time of the year all my childhood friends come back to Kansas and catch up with relatives I rarely see. Some of my favorite foods are only made at that time of year too. Oh and when I was little (it has since gone under) there was even a small Christmas amusement park near my home town which was so much fun to go to! Heck I even like the religious parts, I think the story of Christ's birth is neat and I like to watch the plays they put on and the manger scenes under trees and in the yards. Then again I'm the guy that celebrates hellenic and wiccan festivals with his friends. I guess I just like to celebrate! It also helps I suppose that there is a part of me that still loves the catholic church, I just don't love their god, but Mary and the saints rock, Nuns are awesome, and the buildings, well I can see why a god would want to live in one.
Son of Wesir and Ra, Beloved of Wepwawet-Yinepu

Offline Senedjem

• Shemsu
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2009, 05:23:33 pm »
I like the food too. Turkey and dressing, yahoo!

Offline Djehutyendy

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2009, 05:28:14 pm »
I love Christmas! I love everything about it! Most of all, I love the Christmas spirit. I love going to the mall seeing Santa with all the happy and excited kids, houses decorated with lights, getting together with family, and music and FOOD! All that is secular Christmas stuff, but I even like the religious part of it. While I don't believe in it myself (obviously), I still think it's really neat. I used to go to a Christmas Eve mass, but I don't do that anymore. However, I do still enjoy going to the churches nativity things they set up and being a part of that. I like singing the religious songs, too. In fact the religious Christmas songs are my favorite. So while I don't really do religious stuff myself, I still enjoy it.

The last couple years I have spent Christmas Eve with my sister's fiance and his family. They celebrate Christmas then because they are Polish. It's also quite religious, which I find neat. And then Christmas day, they all come celebrate Christmas with us.

I just love holidays! Any excuse for merriment and gatherings is good enough for me, hehe.

Senebty
Endy
Daughter of Djehuty | Beloved of Hethert-Sekhmet and Geb
Please feel free to reach out to me if you ever need anything or just want to talk! (Email: djehutyendy@gmail.com ; Discord: Djehutyendy#5816)

Offline Tahai

• Shemsu
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2009, 08:13:44 pm »
I love Christmas time too, though I've started referring to it as the Winter Holidays or just The Holidays.  I figure that covers all the bases.

I celebrate with the secular trappings of the Christmas Season, and I go to my nephews' christmas pageants.   This year I will be celebrating the Return of the Distant Goddess and the Establishment of the Heavenly Cow, affectionately known as Moomas.  I will be creating new traditions with some of my fellow KOs, and am really looking forward to that.

*drifts of humming 'ding-dong merrily on high...'*
TahaiBast
Daughter of Bast.  Beloved of Sobek-Ra, Djehuty, and Sekhmet-Hethert.

Self-care Sekhmet and Sobek-Ra Keeper

Feed the Ka Association (FKA)

Offline ubenet

« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2009, 09:01:56 pm »
i celebrate christmas as a family thing - we go to midnight mass, just like generations and generations of my akhu did, and we exchange presents, and we eat waffles, and we play all the christmas carols ever (especially my mom's favorite christmas album, hanson's snowed in ;) ).  

eeyore explains very well why i never mind when people wish me a happy [holiday i don't celebrate]:

Quote from: A.A. Milne

Pooh scratched his head, being a little puzzled by all this.

"But is it really your birthday?" he asked.

"It is."

"Oh! Well, Many happy returns of the day, Eeyore."

"And many happy returns to you, Pooh Bear."

"But it isn't my birthday."

"No, it's mine."

"But you said 'Many happy returns' -- "

"Well,  why  not? You don't always want to be miserable on my birthday, do you?"
ubenetsenu - "two appear shining"
sat Sekhmet-Mut her Khonsu
meryt Wesir her Serqet-Aset

tarot and heka by request

Offline Sobekemiti

• Shemsu
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2009, 09:14:35 pm »
Christmas is awesome. I might not be Christian anymore, but I still celebrate it because the family aspect is far more important to be than anything else. We put the tree up together, and it really is a nice thing to do, with all the little ornaments and getting the house ready for Christmas. There are a pair of baby shoes that me and my brother wore that go on the tree, as well as a bunch of other ornaments we've made.

Plus, the closer Christmas gets, the closer my birthday gets, so even more reason to like it. :P It really is tough going a whole year between presents. XD But I do buy Christmas presents, at least for my immediate family, and a few friends if I know I'm going to see them.

I do actually pay attention to the Christian aspect of it, because it's important to my family. I don't go to Church with them anymore, but I used to do midnight mass with them in the cathedral until Aset told me not to go anymore. I think about Mary a lot though, and I've felt her around a few times, as if she appreciates the attention, even from someone like me.
Sobekemiti ('Sobek is my Daddy') | Genderfluid (they/them) | Sau Apprentice
mes-en-Sobek Shedety
meryt Heru-sa-Aset, Aset, Djehuty, her Wepwawet
Per Sebek (new url) | Emiti's carrd

Offline Menemaset

• Shemsu
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2009, 09:30:07 pm »
Quote from: Tahai
I celebrate with the secular trappings of the Christmas Season, and I go to my nephews' christmas pageants.   This year I will be celebrating the Return of the Distant Goddess and the Establishment of the Heavenly Cow, affectionately known as Moomas.  I will be creating new traditions with some of my fellow KOs, and am really looking forward to that.

Squee! :)

I more or less celebrate Christmas/The Winter Solstice/Yule/Alban Arthan/whatever! Life can be really hectic sometimes and it becomes more difficult to spend time with family and friends. Thus, it becomes a built-in day to enjoy the company of our families and friends. At least, this is how it is for me. :)

With this being said, I am very excited to be jumping into the "Moomas" festivities this year. :)

Senebty,

Coty
Menem
Son of Aset, beloved of Seshat and Mut

"The hardest thing in this world is to live in it. Be brave. Live." -Buffy

« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2009, 12:18:35 am »
I never celebrate Xmas because, well it's a christian holiday and I'm not christian. I celebrate Midsummer (Dec 22 in the Southern Hemisphere) and usually I work as the rest of my colleagues are christian and I take other time off in lieu. Last year was the first time I had Xmas off in ten years. Now my daughter is older, it's convenient to have time off whilst she's on school holidays. But I'm working 24th Dec again this year. It's no biggie.

I'm also someone who thinks it a tad hypocritical to celebrate a holiday that's not of my faith and isn't REALLY secular either. But each to their own :)

Blessed be,
Corvina
[color:blue]Child of Aset[/color]

Offline Darytessekhmet

• W'ab (priest) - Moderator (Prayer Requests Forums)
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2009, 07:42:34 am »
I love Christmas time!  I love the lights and sounds.  It brings many good feelings for me. I see it as Yule, and celebrate that too.  Unfortunately due to the nature of my job, I always have to work Christmas Eve or Day.  But what time I do have off I celebrate with family.

For me it's a family celebration, nothing to do with Christ.
Daughter of Sekhmet and Nisut Hekatawy(AUS)
W'abet Nekhen sehotep.tu ib-es yim-ef, The Shrine in Which Her Heart is Appeased

Her Father controls Sekhmet, Sekhmet subdues evil, Sekhmet controls Her temper
Even small rivers keep the lands green and the oceans wet.

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 3496
  • stats Total Posts: 304032
  • stats Total Topics: 21100
  • stats Total Categories: 9
  • stats Total Boards: 124
  • stats Most Online: 955
SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal