collapse collapse

* Donation Status

8%
Current donation status as of October 30, 2021 = $211.74 of $2,500 or 8%
Donate!

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 34
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 2
  • Dot Users Online:

Author Topic: Christmas?  (Read 111041 times)

Offline Rev. Shezatwepwawet

• W'ab (priest) - Moderator (Kemetic Orthodox Q&A)
Re: Christmas?
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2009, 08:38:51 am »
I do celebrate secular Christmas, since in my lovely Swedish family it's a pork-heavy celebration (Hail the Vanir!) and still retains a lot of the Yule traditions down to its name: Jul. (J pronounced more like a Y) I know we have Moomas here but my spiritual inclination now is to celebrate Yule, Mothernights, and honor the Wild Hunt as they pass overhead. It also means a chance to honor the family Akhu I knew in life as well as those long past. They seem to like it. Especially the big plate of food I offer them on Christmas eve.
Senebty,
Zat (She who makes Sekhmet laugh)
Sau apprentice | Fedw | The Library | zat@kemet.org

Sat Wepwawet-Yinepu her Hekatawy Alexandros (AUS) meryt Seshat-Nit-Nebthet her Heru-wer her Aset-Serqet

Offline Kefetmisenu

• Divined Remetj
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2009, 08:53:41 am »
OMGS I LOVE Christmas! It's my favorite holiday!

I celebrate it for multiple reasons. First, I do it to honor my family. They all celebrated it with joy, and to honor Them I do the same. Second, to me Christmas has become more of a national holiday than just a religious one. And not to mention, it's a beautiful time of the year.

I also honor my Mother on Moomas, which usually falls very close to Christmas.
Kefetmisenu
Sat Heru-wer her Hethert-Sekhmet
Gothic horror writer and artist. Icon is my own artwork

Offline Metitaitui

• Divined Remetj
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2009, 09:41:47 am »
I don't see a problem with celebrating Christmas while being non-Christian. Especially when my family  and friends have been so loving and accepting of my faith and have celebrated my faith's holidays with me. It's a time to enjoy company with the people I love and who love me back.
sat Set her Djehuty meryt Ra, Heru-wer, her Hethert

Offline Bestekeni

• Semer-Wati
  • Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2009, 10:25:53 am »
I've never been Christian, so it's not an issue for me.
Fedw diviner for Bes
𓃀𓎂𓀭𓏏𓎡𓈖𓁐
Sat Bes her Hekatawy Alexandros (AUS)
Meryt Heru-wer her Amun-Ra her Bast

Offline Mezaenaset

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2009, 10:35:38 am »
Heh... I guess I'm the oddball.  

After my parents divorced, there was a constant struggle and battle for where my bother and I would be for Christmas day.  Both parents felt entitled and spending a half of day with each one was unacceptable.

I grew to dread Christmas.  There was no "peace on earth" in my broken family.  After a few years of this I decided that neither parent would have me for Christmas... my partner and I went to Las Vegas!  We did that for several years in a row.  I stopped buying presents and sending cards, too.  I told everyone that I didn't do Christmas.  Sometimes I did Yule, however.   :)

Some years I celebrate the season with lights and decorations- my favorite part!  Some years I do nothing.  I don't know which I will do this year.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2009, 10:36:37 am by Mezaenaset »
Sa Aset-Serqet her Nisut (AUS) Hekatawy I
Mery Bast-Mut, Sekhmet-Hethert, Yinepu-Wepwawet, NebetHet-Nit-Seshat her Djehuty

« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2009, 11:43:18 am »
Hmmmmm. Let's see. I was raised Roman Catholic, but found Taoism and Buddhism fairly early in life and was nearly instantly converted from my first readings. I've had friends over the course of my life who were different varieties of Jewish, Christian, Buddhist, Pagan, Agnostic, and Atheist. My boyfriend is a member of the House.

The way I see, people like to celebrate the better parts of being alive. They'll find time and reason to do so, whatever their faith. And since I enjoy good food, good cheer, and good conversation with the people I care about, then I will join them in their celebrations - even if I do stand off the the side a bit. As long as what's being celebrated or commemorated is something I can agree with and stand behind, even if the faith itself is not mine, then I can put aside some differences and stand together in a spirit of congenial spirituality.

To me it's less of a question of secular versus religious (since that's really more of a spectrum than a clear cut division) than it is a question of whether I can find something in the celebration that I can connect with and bridge the gap of difference. "Peace on Earth, good will toward man"? Yeah, I can dig that. I'll pass on the Mass, though. But I'll be happy to bring a pumpkin pie to the party, if invited.
"So the bodhisattva saves all beings, not by preaching sermons to them, but by showing them that they are delivered, they are liberated, by the act of not being able to stop changing." - Alan Watts

Offline Djehutyendy

« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2009, 12:09:18 pm »
Quote from: Mezaenaset
After my parents divorced, there was a constant struggle and battle for where my bother and I would be for Christmas day.  Both parents felt entitled and spending a half of day with each one was unacceptable.

I went through the same thing for as long as I can remember. My parents got divorced when I was 6 or 7. But I think since I was young I was able to adjust easily. My sister never got used to it (she is two years older) and it has always bothered her a lot and made her upset. But the way my child's mind worked was that I got to have the excitement of opening presents twice! And TWO big meals! lol that's what I saw as a kid, and kind of stuck with that mentality when growing up. I feel lucky now that my parents can be in the same room together without biting each others heads off, so we can now celebrate Christmas together.

But anyway, I can see how that can ruin Christmas for people (as it ruined Christmas for my sister for many years). And I'm sorry you had to go through that, too.

Senebty
Endy
Daughter of Djehuty | Beloved of Hethert-Sekhmet and Geb
Please feel free to reach out to me if you ever need anything or just want to talk! (Email: djehutyendy@gmail.com ; Discord: Djehutyendy#5816)

Offline Maainakhtsen

« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2009, 12:35:13 pm »
Quote from: SonOfYinepu
Something I've always wondered, and since it's not too far off, was wether or not you members celebrate Christmas or just pass on it?

I can't really claim to give it my full attention, but the choir girl in me still loves the music. Everyone can stop gagging now. :P
Senebty,
Ma'ai

"A great pleasure in life is doing what others say you can't." -A Fortune Cookie

Offline Senushemi

• Forum Moderator (Beginners' Forums)
  • Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2009, 01:35:17 pm »
Quote from: Maainakhtsen
I can't really claim to give it my full attention, but the choir girl in me still loves the music. Everyone can stop gagging now. :P

No gagging here.  I'm in your boat on this one.  :)
Sat Bast her Djehuty her Hekatawy Alexandros (AUS) meryt Sekhmet
Fedw Diviner for Djehuty and Bast
Self-Care Sekhmet Advocate
Proud waver of the "senu" flag.
senushemi@gmail.com

Offline Taji

• Divined Remetj
« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2009, 03:43:45 pm »
Quote from: Senushemi
No gagging here.  I'm in your boat on this one.  :)

Me too :)
Taseddjebbastmut,
Daughter of Bast-Mut
Beloved of Yinepu, Sekhmet, Set, Heru-wer, & Aset

Offline Ankhetbast

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2009, 04:01:43 pm »
Quote from: Wolf_Cub
The way I see, people like to celebrate the better parts of being alive. They'll find time and reason to do so, whatever their faith. And since I enjoy good food, good cheer, and good conversation with the people I care about, then I will join them in their celebrations - even if I do stand off the the side a bit. As long as what's being celebrated or commemorated is something I can agree with and stand behind, even if the faith itself is not mine, then I can put aside some differences and stand together in a spirit of congenial spirituality.

To me it's less of a question of secular versus religious (since that's really more of a spectrum than a clear cut division) than it is a question of whether I can find something in the celebration that I can connect with and bridge the gap of difference. "Peace on Earth, good will toward man"? Yeah, I can dig that. I'll pass on the Mass, though. But I'll be happy to bring a pumpkin pie to the party, if invited.  

This says very well how I feel about Christmas.  I do celebrate Yule as a turning of the season, and take time to meditate on bettering myself.  I enjoy the trappings as well.  
~~~~Ankhetbast~~~~

Sat Bast her Hekatawy I (AUS), Meryt Serqet, Yinepu her HetHert

"Be excellent to each other." ~Bill and Ted

Offline Ankhetbast

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2009, 04:02:35 pm »
Quote from: Maainakhtsen

"Oh, Holy Night" is one of the most beautiful pieces of music ever composed!
~~~~Ankhetbast~~~~

Sat Bast her Hekatawy I (AUS), Meryt Serqet, Yinepu her HetHert

"Be excellent to each other." ~Bill and Ted

Offline Setjataset

• Shemsu
Re: Christmas? *DELETED*
« Reply #27 on: November 11, 2009, 06:45:59 pm »
Post deleted by Setjataset
Setjataset
sat Aset-Serqet
meryt Bast her Hethert-Sekhmet
her Seshat-Nit-Nebthet
[color:#00FF00]Sau Apprentice[/color]

Offline Tahai

• Shemsu
« Reply #28 on: November 11, 2009, 07:11:32 pm »
The Halelujah Chorus!  I loved singing that every christmas eve at midnight mass.  And Oh Holy Night...there was a man in my church who sent chills down my spine every time he sang that song.
TahaiBast
Daughter of Bast.  Beloved of Sobek-Ra, Djehuty, and Sekhmet-Hethert.

Self-care Sekhmet and Sobek-Ra Keeper

Feed the Ka Association (FKA)

Offline Meresinepu

• W'ab (priest)
« Reply #29 on: November 11, 2009, 09:13:43 pm »
Em hotep all *henu*

Good question and great answers.   I like the 'spirit' of Christmas but I don't celebrate it.  I will get together with friends and family and exchange presents and enjoy each other but since I'm also not Christian it has no religious meaning to me.

Senebty
Rev. Meresinepu [She loves Yinepu] Weptesmerutef {Her Mission is his Love}
Sat Yinepu/Wepwawet, meryt Amun her Bast her Aset her HetHert

"Gone am I, caught by the Underworld, yet cleansed and alive in the beyond." (from an Old Kingdom funerary text)

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 3496
  • stats Total Posts: 304032
  • stats Total Topics: 21100
  • stats Total Categories: 9
  • stats Total Boards: 124
  • stats Most Online: 955
SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal