collapse collapse

* Donation Status

8%
Current donation status as of October 30, 2021 = $211.74 of $2,500 or 8%
Donate!

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 43
  • Dot Hidden: 1
  • Dot Users: 3
  • Dot Users Online:

Author Topic: Christmas?  (Read 111038 times)

Offline Sekhmetbitu

• Shemsu
Re: Christmas?
« Reply #30 on: November 11, 2009, 09:42:36 pm »
We celebrate "Christmas" in my house, but we call it GDH, or Generic December Holiday. I then go to my family's house (weather permitting) to spend time with my family, because that's the main reason to go for me. I don't do church or nativity scenes, or any of the Christian stuff, for me it's like second Thanksgiving with presents and family together time.

I used to LOVE Christmas, but as two of my grandparents died around that time, (Grandma was buried on Christmas Eve 1992) It's kind of a bittersweet holiday. I'll probably be going more all-out for Moomas this year instead.

And the way I see it, if Japan, with it's 1% Christian population can love Christmas as a secular holiday, so can I.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2009, 10:02:55 pm by Sekhmetbitu »
Sekhmetbitu "Sekhmet's (Good) Charachter"

[color:#CC0000]Sat Sekhmet[/color]
[color:#990099]Meryt Mut & Khenty-Amentiu[/color]

« Reply #31 on: November 12, 2009, 06:48:55 pm »
Yeah, I celebrate it. Where I live now, winter is cold and dark and depressing (beautiful too, sometimes). So the lead-up to Christmas, the lights and decorations, warm cider and songs, spending time with people you care about and whatnot are really helpful. I just think of it as the solstice, or the "festival of light" in a dark season.

As for the actual 4 or 5 days surrounding Christmas, that's the only time of the year that I get to go "home" and see my family. One or both of my parents might visit me in the midwest during the summer, but as for my brother and extended family, Christmas is all she wrote. So I do the whole shebang, gifts included, even though I hate shopping.
Sat Wepwawet-Yinepu her Bast-Mut, meryt Djehuty.

Kheret - 'Subject to Two'

Aide-toi, le ciel t'aidera.

« Reply #32 on: November 15, 2009, 03:23:05 pm »
I don't really celebrate Christmas. After giving up the Christian faith, I haven't really seen the point. For some years now, except the last year, we've been going to a pub for Christmas Eve (the only one in the city that's open that day, probably) just to drink some beers and spend time with our friends.

I incorporate some Finnish Christmas traditions into my celebrating the Return and Moomas, however, and am very fond of creating traditions of my own. To me, Return of the Distant Goddess is one of the most important days of the year, and I enjoy making the most out of it. Food, drink, friends, celebration <3 And lots and lots of candles.

« Reply #33 on: November 15, 2009, 03:29:36 pm »
Christmas has unforuntely turned too materialistic for me and is an absolute retail frenzie from October to January.  The only part of Christmas I really enjoy is seeing my family as we are often too busy to see eachother.

My boyfriend loves Christmas but being a student I can't really afford it, hence why I'm not a fan.  He on the other hand cannot understand why I don't like it and he loves the who shebang, the decorations, dinner, presents.  It makes me obliged to buy expensive presents when I can barely afford books.

Sorry I went on =D but that's just my feelings about Crimbo.
I can't think of a catchy quote or phrase ... so ... yeah ...

« Reply #34 on: November 15, 2009, 06:59:46 pm »
Rennie1989, may I recommend Gifts in a Jar? You can google them for specific recipes. They're basically all the dry ingredients for delicious baked goods (i.e. chocolate chip cookies), arranged in layers inside of a mason jar. You can then decorate the outside with ribbons, glitter, stickers, etc.

They're nice gifts to give when you're tight on money, but still want to show someone that you care enough to spend the time to make them something. Plus, who doesn't like food anytime of the year? ;)
"So the bodhisattva saves all beings, not by preaching sermons to them, but by showing them that they are delivered, they are liberated, by the act of not being able to stop changing." - Alan Watts

« Reply #35 on: November 15, 2009, 10:18:56 pm »
I have to do the Christmas thing because everyone else in my family does.  They would probably disown me if I avoided their Christmas celebrations.  That being said, I don't actually celebrate it.  I usually try to celebrate some other cultural or religious winter holiday and try to undermine Christmas with it, or at the very least educate my family on different holidays.  All in all, Christmas doesn't seem religious at all anymore.  It is about stuffing ones face and spending crazy amounts of money on stuff you don't need and are going to throw away in a few months.  It is a real shame. *steps off soapbox*
Kehawi
Sa Amun-Ra her Set
Mery Serqet her Heru-wer

Offline Munefmontu

• Shemsu
« Reply #36 on: November 16, 2009, 12:18:56 am »
We celebrate holidays all month long.

My nephew, Iahemheb-ka celebrates his birthday on December 10th. My brother celebrates his birthday Christmas eve. We celebrate what we jokingly call Solistmas, starting the 21st till the 25th. We have our own traditions, including games, and faerie gifts, etc. On the 25th we cook a huge meal and invite our families over, around 20 people or so, all enjoying the season together.

In our house we have a Christmas tree, decorated with "winter", and natural things...birds, bugs, dinosaurs, snowflakes...lol an odd assortment.

We also change our family altar (my household is a "pagan" one) seasonally, during winter its decorated with holly, mistletoe, ivy, stags, stars, snowflakes.

Shortly after the new year its my birthday....

I was raised catholic, but my parents are very accepting of my choices... so i'm not obligated to participate in any Christian celebrations.

I think people are what make Christmas or whatever you celebrate this time of year what it is. I would rather celebrate the year with my family at my table than get any presents at all. It dosen't have to be about the gifts or the money. For us its a time of year to remember all the wonderful things in life and why.
Sat Montu
Meryt Amun-Ra her Sekhmet her Khnum

"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgement that something else is more important than fear." -Ambrose Redmoon

« Reply #37 on: November 16, 2009, 03:30:55 am »
@ Wolf_Cub:  What a fantastic idea!!  I think I know a few people would really like those!  Thank you very much for that idea.

@Munefmontu: Can I have Christmas at your place, it sounds really lovely =D x
I can't think of a catchy quote or phrase ... so ... yeah ...

« Reply #38 on: November 16, 2009, 09:06:13 am »
Great post, Munef. :) This is how we celebrate as well.

Offline Raheri

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #39 on: November 17, 2009, 08:14:57 am »
I enjoy the music of the season. I do love my Christmas songs, but have been know to change them up a bit to de-christianize them and make them fun and Kemetic themed.

Example of "Away in a Manger"

"Away in the Marshlands no crib for a bed,
the little Lord Heru lays down his sweet head"

...and that sort of thing. I am the master of plagerism (which isn't necessarily good but works out in this case)!

Senebty,
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Raheri »
Sa Wesir-Sokar, mery Nut her Djehuty
Heri-sesheta Wesir

Offline Tahai

• Shemsu
« Reply #40 on: November 17, 2009, 09:43:56 am »
Raheri, I do the same with some of the Sunday School songs I learned in my youth.

"I've got the joy of Hethert, Joy of Hethert down in my heart - WHERE?  Down in my heart!  WHERE? Down in my heart!

I've got the Joy of Hethert Joy of Hethert Down in my Heart, Where? down in my heart to stay...."

:D
TahaiBast
Daughter of Bast.  Beloved of Sobek-Ra, Djehuty, and Sekhmet-Hethert.

Self-care Sekhmet and Sobek-Ra Keeper

Feed the Ka Association (FKA)

« Reply #41 on: November 17, 2009, 10:29:43 am »
Raheri really does speak the truth. It's unnerving how easily he can change song lyrics on the fly. Of course, sometimes his twisted sense of humor can ruin a perfectly good car ride on a Sunday afternoon... ;) (j/k)
"So the bodhisattva saves all beings, not by preaching sermons to them, but by showing them that they are delivered, they are liberated, by the act of not being able to stop changing." - Alan Watts

Offline Taysatwesir

• Shemsu
« Reply #42 on: November 19, 2009, 03:51:25 am »
Raheri I love Kathy Mattea's Christmas Collage that everytime I hear it I sing of Wesir/Wennefer.

Solo:
O come, O come, Wennefer
Foremost of the Westerners

Beneficent Aset, who rescued her brother
Wandered about the land in mourning
Until Heru, son of Wesir appear

Harmony:
Rejoice! Rejoice! Wennefer
Shall come to thee, O Akhu
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Taysat »
Taysatwesir
This daughter of Wesir
sat Wesir as Ptah-Sokar-Wesir
meryt Mut, Ma'ahes, Bast, and Hethert-Sekhmet

Offline Sautyinepu

« Reply #43 on: November 19, 2009, 12:28:10 pm »
I celebrate Christmas... I FLOVE presents!   ;)
Saut
Sat Yinepu Meryt Nekhbet

« Reply #44 on: December 01, 2009, 06:23:24 pm »
Quote from: Raheri
I enjoy the music of the season. I do love my Christmas songs, but have been know to change them up a bit to de-christianize them and make them fun and Kemetic themed.

Example of "Away in a Manger"

"Away in the Marshlands no crib for a bed,
the little Lord Heru lays down his sweet head"

...and that sort of thing. I am the master of plagerism (which isn't necessarily good but works out in this case)!

Senebty,

LOL that's actually pretty good. :D

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 3496
  • stats Total Posts: 304032
  • stats Total Topics: 21100
  • stats Total Categories: 9
  • stats Total Boards: 124
  • stats Most Online: 955
SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal