collapse collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 59
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 2
  • Dot Users Online:

Author Topic: Christmas?  (Read 104392 times)

Re: Christmas?
« Reply #45 on: December 05, 2009, 09:34:45 pm »
I have to admit that I still celebrate Christmas out of habit and the good things it reminds me of; as well, as means altogether.  Sometimes I feel guilty, and a traitor to the gods who I love and try to honor...

The past was filled with good times and good food with family.  Yes, I would lie if I didn't mention that it's super fun to receive gifts!  It's also great to give them!

As for what the holidays mean, in my view: to be giving and generous to the people around you, which doesn't exactly or singularly mean financially, unless someone needs it and you have it.  It means to treat others like you would have them treat you; to be friendly, receptive, kindly, and sympathetic to all life around you.  Basically how the creator in many ancient religions wished everyone to be all the time.

So, while I am not Christian, I do believe in some of the secular, universal, perhaps (well, no - definitely, but also in Christian beliefs too) pre-monotheistic faith things that the holidays mean.
"Give sorrow a Sailor smile."
~ "Makenai" by Hanazawa Kae; Sailor Moon Stars, Season 5, episode 200

"Beyond this road, running on far and long, must surely be something we can believe in."
~ "Pure Heart" by Rikki; Final Fantasy VII, "Aerith's Theme"

« Reply #46 on: December 06, 2009, 01:36:00 am »
Here's some holiday fun; not really Kemetic except for being feline-themed:

YOUR CAT'S TOP TWENTY FAVORITE CHRISTMAS SONGS:

1.  Up on the Mousetop
2.  Furry Christmas, Baby
3.  Joy to the Curled
4.  I Saw Mommy Hiss at Santa Claus
5.  The First Meow
6.  Oh, Come All Ye Fishful
7.  Silent Mice
8.  Fluffy, the Snowman
9.  Jingle Balls
10. While Shepherds Washed their Paws by Night
11. Rudolph the Red Tabby Reindeer
12. I'm Gettin' Mutton for Christmas
13. Collar of the Bells
14. Feline Navidad
15. It's Beginning to Look a Lot like Kittens
16. Russian Blue Christmas
17. We Knead a Little Christmas
18. Have Yourself a Moggie Little Christmas
19. Angels We Have Purred On High
20. Wreck the Halls

liver bowls...liver bowls...it's Christmastime for the kitty...
Washtiemyinepu

Sat Yinepu-Wepwawet meryt Sekhmet-HetHert her Aset-Serqet

I've learned love is like a brick, you can build a house or sink a dead body.

>^.y.^<

Dua Netjer!

Offline Payemheru

• Shemsu
« Reply #47 on: December 06, 2009, 10:45:22 pm »
 If you examine the early versions of Christianity, it becomes apparent that much of it was borrowed from Kemetic stories about Netjer (Heru-sa-Aset in particular), so I have no problem celebrating it.
sa Heru-sa-Aset, mery Sekhmet-Hethert her Wesir her Wepwawet

« Reply #48 on: December 08, 2009, 07:06:37 pm »
Quote from: Payemheru
If you examine the early versions of Christianity, it becomes apparent that much of it was borrowed from Kemetic stories about Netjer (Heru-sa-Aset in particular), so I have no problem celebrating it.

Saturnalia, celebrated in the Roman religion (a time of festivity, joy and gift-giving), as well as Norse religious takings (the tree representing Yggdrasil, if I'm not mistaken).  It's whole make up is from the ancient religions!

As the saying goes, Christianity has Pagan DNA.  Though, I'm not sure who created that statement; it's from a bumper-sticker.

It's also necessary to note that this time of the year was highly solar, even though the Northern hemisphere was in cold (All of these ancient religions were in the North.)  The Earth is actually closer to the sun at this time of the year, so I find it interesting for people who didn't have modern science to 'know' that - even if in a highly mythological way.

And that Set was called 'the bones of Geb', meaning and His metal was iron; the planet Earth has a molten iron core...

Quote from: Washtiemyinepu
Here's some holiday fun; not really Kemetic except for being feline-themed:

YOUR CAT'S TOP TWENTY FAVORITE CHRISTMAS SONGS:

1.  Up on the Mousetop
2.  Furry Christmas, Baby
3.  Joy to the Curled
4.  I Saw Mommy Hiss at Santa Claus
5.  The First Meow
6.  Oh, Come All Ye Fishful
7.  Silent Mice
8.  Fluffy, the Snowman
9.  Jingle Balls
10. While Shepherds Washed their Paws by Night
11. Rudolph the Red Tabby Reindeer
12. I'm Gettin' Mutton for Christmas
13. Collar of the Bells
14. Feline Navidad
15. It's Beginning to Look a Lot like Kittens
16. Russian Blue Christmas
17. We Knead a Little Christmas
18. Have Yourself a Moggie Little Christmas
19. Angels We Have Purred On High
20. Wreck the Halls

liver bowls...liver bowls...it's Christmastime for the kitty...

I love Bob River's parodies of the usual songs.  12 Pains of Christmas, Wreck the Malls, Chipmunks Roasting on an Open Fire, The Chipmunk Song, Pokemon, The Flu Song - which I can't remember its proper title.  The list goes on!
« Last Edit: December 08, 2009, 07:19:12 pm by Seta »
"Give sorrow a Sailor smile."
~ "Makenai" by Hanazawa Kae; Sailor Moon Stars, Season 5, episode 200

"Beyond this road, running on far and long, must surely be something we can believe in."
~ "Pure Heart" by Rikki; Final Fantasy VII, "Aerith's Theme"

Offline Niheri

• Shemsu
« Reply #49 on: October 01, 2010, 05:49:01 am »
I loathe how commercial Christmas has become (it's especially difficult from that respect as we have a lot of December birthdays in our immediate family).
I do know that this coming December I will be a very proud,(and probably embarrassingly tearful), Grandma as I watch my two eldest grand-childre,(aged 4 and 3) in their Nativity Plays. Not from any religious viewpoint, just tiny children doing the play are so heartbreakingly sweet :).
Daughter of Wepwawet-Yinepu

Beloved of Set and Amun-Ra.

Offline Menemaset

• Shemsu
« Reply #50 on: October 01, 2010, 07:54:42 am »
Quote from: Jet
I loathe how commercial Christmas has become (it's especially difficult from that respect as we have a lot of December birthdays in our immediate family).
I do know that this coming December I will be a very proud,(and probably embarrassingly tearful), Grandma as I watch my two eldest grand-childre,(aged 4 and 3) in their Nativity Plays. Not from any religious viewpoint, just tiny children doing the play are so heartbreakingly sweet :).

Definitely. :D I think a lot of the standard Christian symbolism of Christmas is inherently beautiful, even if it's not necessarily spiritually relevant to me. The nativity is definitely one of those beautiful aspects I like the most. :)

Senebty,

Menem
Menem
Son of Aset, beloved of Seshat and Mut

"The hardest thing in this world is to live in it. Be brave. Live." -Buffy

Offline Niheri

• Shemsu
« Reply #51 on: October 01, 2010, 04:19:43 pm »
Menemaset - that was exactly it :).There is a lot of beautiful symbolism in Christianity - and someone said earlier in the thread that they celebrated i Christmas because it would have been important to their Akhu -which really touched me, actually, because it is true - yes, I'm very sure they did experience Christmas as a really important time...
Daughter of Wepwawet-Yinepu

Beloved of Set and Amun-Ra.

« Reply #52 on: October 01, 2010, 04:27:19 pm »
I celebrate Christmas.  I call it an Akhu veneration exercise, but to be honest I probably just like presents ;)
Son of Set and Wepwawet-Yinepu.
Beloved of Sekhmet-Hethert, Heru-Wer, and Aset-Serqet.

Offline Khesretitui

• Shemsu
« Reply #53 on: October 02, 2010, 09:20:42 am »
My family celebrates Christmas, so while I don't participate in the religious side of things, I hang out, give and receive gifts, and enjoy the fellowship. I send Happy Holidays and New Year cards to cover everyone equally.
Khesretitui
"My Fathers Dispel Evil"

Sat Set her Ra-Heruakhety
Meryt Heru-wer her Yinepu-Wepwawet

Offline Linda

• Remetj
« Reply #54 on: October 02, 2010, 12:54:36 pm »
I celebrate Christmas with my family, not the comercial side of it, but the meaning of Christmas. It is beautiful. My grandaughter is just 3yrs old too, and she's just started school. I don't think it'll be just me wiping tears away, but grandad too! :D This is what it's all about, not how much money we spend.  :)
You don't know what you can do until you try.

« Reply #55 on: October 02, 2010, 03:44:47 pm »
Christmas to me has never been about religion. It may have been a very pure and religious holiday centuries ago, but now like some have said, it's become commercial. But, that's not a bad thing to me.

Seeing cute little kids in Santa hats, even myself wearing them is an occasion I look forward to. Wearing the hats, ringing bells, candy canes! This is what Christmas is to most in my area. I see more yards decorated with Santa and Rudolph than I do the Nativity scenes with Mary and baby Jesus.

Decorating a tree, getting someone I care about a gift on Christmas is a part of my life I look forward to and has been a tradition for a long time. It's all in the eye of the beholder.

--And about some of the religious songs, I love "Little Drummer Boy"! ;p

Offline Sekhmetnenek

• Shemsu
« Reply #56 on: October 02, 2010, 04:39:20 pm »
I can't believe I never responded to this :P

I celebrate Christmas. My family is comprised of mainly Christians, but to us it is the holiday of family. We get together, have a beautifully decorated party with lots of homemade food, and talk. We catch up with the relatives we don't see often, and appreciate the relatives we see every day. It is a great holiday. We even have special family traditions, like passing the fruitcake to a different member every year, which make the holiday even more personal. In fact, two engagements were made at this party (my Aunt and Uncle, and then her Son and his girlfriend). It is awesome.

Also, I was a big chorus kid in school, so I definitely love all of the music- even though I still bear a grudge against the Hallelujah Chorus and the rest of Handel's Messiah. You see, I am a tenor (actually, a Tenor II) and those high notes are insannnne :P Some of my best memories from school involve the winter concerts, and singing Christmas music. I also really love the decorations. The pine tree, representing life even through death (winter), the lights being used as a way to attract light even in the darkest times....the list goes on.

Christmas, even when I was Catholic, never felt like a super-religious holiday. Honestly, celebrating Yule as a Wiccan or Norse Pagan felt more spiritual/religious than with Catholicism. YMMV

Sekhmetnenek|Sekhmet Belongs to Me|
Sa Sekhmet-Hethert,
Mery Nebthet-Nit-Seshat

Offline Linda

• Remetj
« Reply #57 on: October 03, 2010, 12:52:15 pm »
I celebrate Yule too with my Pagan friends. And Christmas is a time for family. That is what I was trying to say, but i'm not very good at getting accross what I mean, which is not a good thing for a writer! :D
« Last Edit: October 03, 2010, 12:52:46 pm by Linda »
You don't know what you can do until you try.

« Reply #58 on: October 21, 2010, 11:50:24 pm »
Em-Hotep-Rh'ekh,

Seeing as Dec 25th is the birthday of Heru, and 'presents' /offerings would have been giving to him in his temples, I guess I can see how this whole thing developed over the millennia... But beside that, this day has really always been about family; never was it religious. Now for me it is has been for the past ten years, ever since I knew it was the birthday of Heru ;)
Ne'sip - Thii - Mu - Pah - Ma'at
(Never Wander From The Truth)

Hk'hk - Mu - Th'n - Ib - Gh'ert - Netjer
(Keep Netjer In Your Heart Always)

Nin - Mesin'i - I'usi - Sa'ahu...
(No-one is born a sage) - IOPH

Offline Tai'awepwawet

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #59 on: October 22, 2010, 09:58:41 am »
... Dec 25th is the birthday of Heru? Which one, and says who? o_O
Isha (they) | Selene (she)