Register
collapse collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 74
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 3
  • Dot Users Online:

Author Topic: Leadership in the Common Era  (Read 70022 times)

Offline Maretemheqat

• Rev Shauna - Ordained Clergy
Re: Leadership in the Common Era
« Reply #60 on: December 29, 2009, 10:45:13 am »
Quote from: Devo
I have a question- what exactly is a "state rite" vs... a non-state rite?
-Devo

State rite is done with all of Kemet in mind, and done as per the Nisut's direction. It is a formal aspect of worship, much like high mass for the Catholics.

Non-state rite is more informal and personal. That's something you do on your own time. You're not going to have to worry about state rite much at this point until you start looking at becomming a W'ab preist, or perhaps a Sau Magician.

~Maret
Rev. Mesetibes
Sat Heqat, meryt Djehuti her Ptah her Heru-wer
Fedw Diviner
2011 Wep Ronpet Frog Princess/
W'abet Nekhen Sha'a Sha'at Imef

Offline Devo

• Remetj
« Reply #61 on: December 29, 2009, 12:41:43 pm »
Quote from: Metitaitui
As one of the ones who contributed to the off topic-ness I apologize though I don't think I was entirely in the wrong for doing so as I was directly responding to something you had said.

I have no problem with diverting from the topic, if the discussion moves that way. So no worries.

Quote from: HehiAset

The State Rite is carried out  specifically on behalf of the Nation as a whole, not to mention the world in general,for the good of all and protection from "evil".It is something you need not concern yourself with for 2-3 years at least,of Membership should you decide to join.

Only reason I asked was because I had seen it mentioned a few times, I just wanted clarification, so that I could understand better.

Without being rude, may I suggest that it is time you called an end this "fishing trip" and tried the new Beginners' course , after which you can reject or join as your inner feelings dictate.

As I have mentioned countless times before in this thread- I have sent in my information, and am currently waiting to hear back.
Quote from: Maretemheqat

State rite is done with all of Kemet in mind, and done as per the Nisut's direction. It is a formal aspect of worship, much like high mass for the Catholics.

Non-state rite is more informal and personal. That's something you do on your own time. You're not going to have to worry about state rite much at this point until you start looking at becomming a W'ab preist, or perhaps a Sau Magician.

Good to know.
-Devo
dA | FB | Tumblr | WP

Offline Senushemi

• Forum Moderator (Beginners' Forums)
  • Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #62 on: December 29, 2009, 02:35:21 pm »
Em hotep Devo!

I'd like to add that State Rite is performed by the priesthood and Hemet Herself, you have to be trained in it by Hemet (AUS).  

The non-state rite is actually taught during the beginner's class, so even if you decide that Kemetic Orthodoxy is not for you, you will still have the information pertaining to our most basic rite as a community.  I think of it as being akin to going to mass when I was Catholic, only we do this at home, just me and Netjer.  

As for our Nisut... if it weren't for Hemet (AUS), there would be no Kemetic Orthodoxy to learn about and follow.  She is a direct conduit between Netjer and the rest of us, passing along Their wishes and teaching us about new practices They have asked Her to start (like RPD, for example).  

I think comparing Her to the Pope is about as close as we can get to a "real-life" example.  She is our Pope, so to speak, someone who we can trust to hear Netjer's voice better than most and therefore get Their words correct more often than most - maybe not 100% accurate 100% of the time, but pretty darn close - and a whole heck of a lot closer than I feel that I get.  After all, She does carry the Kingly Ka, so She has an advantage there.  :)

In short, She has given us our spiritual home here just by accepting the Kingly Ka and "being" what Netjer has asked Her to be.  That's what She means to me, in a nutshell.  

Edited to add:  You won't hear back about the beginner's class much before the next one starts, so please don't feel that you're being ignored for the next month or two.  Everyone else who applies for the next class will be in the same boat.  I think it's probably just easier for them to wait and see who all wants to be in the group, and then address everybody at once when the time comes, if that makes sense?
« Last Edit: December 29, 2009, 02:51:53 pm by Senushemi »
Sat Bast her Djehuty meryt Sekhmet
Fedw Diviner for Djehuty and Bast
Self-Care Sekhmet Advocate
Proud waver of the "senu" flag.
senushemi@gmail.com

Offline Devo

• Remetj
« Reply #63 on: December 29, 2009, 03:29:42 pm »
Quote from: Senushemi

The non-state rite is actually taught during the beginner's class, so even if you decide that Kemetic Orthodoxy is not for you, you will still have the information pertaining to our most basic rite as a community.  I think of it as being akin to going to mass when I was Catholic, only we do this at home, just me and Netjer.  

I figured (after hearing the general difference) that the non-state rite is the senut that I hear about pretty frequently. I have a general idea how it works, and whatnot.

Edited to add:  You won't hear back about the beginner's class much before the next one starts, so please don't feel that you're being ignored for the next month or two.  Everyone else who applies for the next class will be in the same boat.  I think it's probably just easier for them to wait and see who all wants to be in the group, and then address everybody at once when the time comes, if that makes sense?

Yeah, I wasn't expecting to heat back until a date had been solidified, and am in no rush, now that I know where to put all the paperwork in at lol.
-Devo
dA | FB | Tumblr | WP

Offline kathleen

• Remetj
« Reply #64 on: December 29, 2009, 07:48:13 pm »
Quote from: Senushemi
someone who we can trust to hear Netjer's voice better than most and therefore get Their words correct more often than most

this one little thing, i think, is perhaps *the* fundamental leap of faith one should be able to make for themselves before taking Shemsu vows.

just thought i'd toss that out there.  :)
Redheads are descended from cats. --Mark Twain

Offline Meresinepu

• Rev. Meres - Ordained Clergy
« Reply #65 on: December 29, 2009, 10:01:13 pm »
Em hotep Devo *henu*

We are just wrapping up the current beginner class and it takes us about two to three weeks to get the final interviews done (we talk to each and every person that wants to chat with us) and then move folks over so they have other Board access on the forums if they are staying on.

Its going to be about 3 weeks to a month before you hear back but it should come from Kai Imakhu Antybast but feel free to let myself or Kai Imakhu Sedjemes know in a few weeks if you have not received anything yet regarding your acceptance to the next scheduled beginner class.

I'm looking forward to having you in our class and getting to know you.  Thank you for applying.

Senebty!
Rev. Meresinepu [She loves Yinepu] Weptesmerutef {Her Mission is his Love}
Sat Yinepu/Wepwawet, meryt Amun her Bast her Aset her HetHert

"Gone am I, caught by the Underworld, yet cleansed and alive in the beyond." (from an Old Kingdom funerary text)

« Reply #66 on: December 30, 2009, 12:43:07 am »
Quote from: HehiAset

The State Rite is carried out  specifically on behalf of the Nation as a whole, not to mention the world in general,for the good of all and protection from "evil".It is something you need not concern yourself with for 2-3 years at least,of Membership should you decide to join.

Hold up a sec. Can you clarify that please HehiAset? You make it sound like you have to "earn" the right. Is that what the different "levels" are - EG Remetj, Shemsu, Shemsu-Ankh, Imakhu etc? I was under the idea that, barring the clergy roles, Remetj, Shemsu, Shemsu-Ankh etc were according to different rites that one undergoes when the time is right according to them and if you can physically make it to Tawy, not if you're deemed good enough or stay at a certain level for a certain time.

Without being rude, may I suggest that it is time you called an end this "fishing trip" and tried the new Beginners' course , after which you can reject or join as your inner feelings dictate.

Ummm it may not be your intention, but that does kinda come across as rude. It also puts me off asking questions too. I think anyone who doesn't clarify information before making the decision to commit to learning is acting hastily. I hardly think Devo is just "fishing" for info given s/he has been here longer than me.

Senebty and thanks,
Corvina

[color:blue]Child of Aset[/color]

Offline Asetwedjbai

• Divined Remetj
« Reply #67 on: December 30, 2009, 01:18:08 am »
Em hotep, Corvina

I apologize if this is disjointed, it's pretty late here :)

Anyone who goes through the Beginner's class (or purchases the Prayerbook) gets the "official daily rite" of Kemetic Orthodoxy, Senut. Everyone at any level is welcome and encouraged to perform that rite.

The first level of priesthood, the W'abu, are responsible for a daily rite on behalf of everyone in Kemetic Orthodoxy. That is the State rite.

You weren't asking about the differences in daily rites, Corvina. Sorry about that, but I'll leave it in for now I guess.

What I think Hehi was trying to say is that one can't go from Beginner -> W'ab priest right away; W'abu are taken from the ranks of the Shemsu-Ankh, and I believe one has to be a Shemsu-Ankh for a year before becoming eligible for W'ab training.

I was under the idea that, barring the clergy roles, Remetj, Shemsu, Shemsu-Ankh etc were according to different rites that one undergoes when the time is right according to them and if you can physically make it to Tawy, not if you're deemed good enough or stay at a certain level for a certain time.

Yes, and no. Weshem-ib, the ritual that one has to undergo in order to become a Shemsu-Ankh doesn't have to be done at Tawy...if there are enough people at another location Hemet and the Imakhiu can do the rite "on the road; I know it's been done at least once before. But otherwise yes, becoming a Remetj, Divined Remetj, Shemsu, or Shemsu-Ankh is done based on the candidate's readiness.

Hope that helps and didn't muddle things up worse!

senebty, Wedjbai
« Last Edit: December 30, 2009, 01:22:55 am by Wedjbai »
Wedjbai
sat Aset-Amentet
meryt Hethert-Sekhmet,Wesir, Yinepu-Wepwawet, Nut &
Nebthet-Seshat-Nit

Offline Maainakhtsen

« Reply #68 on: December 30, 2009, 02:33:17 am »
Quote from: Corvina
Quote from: Hehiaset
The State Rite is carried out specifically on behalf of the Nation as a whole, not to mention the world in general,for the good of all and protection from "evil".It is something you need not concern yourself with for 2-3 years at least,of Membership should you decide to join.

Hold up a sec. Can you clarify that please HehiAset? You make it sound like you have to "earn" the right.

Concerning the State rituals carried out by priests (which include the Rite of the House of the Morning, mentioned several times here as the "State Rite"); you definitely do have to earn and continually demonstrate your fitness for this privilege.

Quote from: Corvina
Is that what the different "levels" are - EG Remetj, Shemsu, Shemsu-Ankh, Imakhu etc? I was under the idea that, barring the clergy roles, Remetj, Shemsu, Shemsu-Ankh etc were according to different rites that one undergoes when the time is right according to them and if you can physically make it to Tawy, not if you're deemed good enough or stay at a certain level for a certain time.

Remetj through Shemsu-Ankh roles are undergone according to your readiness. Priests (designated as W'ab, Imakhu, Kai-Imakhu on the boards, for your reference) or those seeking to be priests  can definitely be:
-asked to wait to train for
-refused entirely from
-fired or suspended from the priesthood

People have been.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Maainakhtsen »
Senebty,
Ma'ai

"A great pleasure in life is doing what others say you can't." -A Fortune Cookie

Offline Shezatwepwawet

• Moderator (Kemetic Orthodox Q&A)
« Reply #69 on: December 30, 2009, 08:07:42 am »
If I may add a little more, becoming Shemsu-ankh isn't an automatic either if you simply want to do it. It's a privilege, and just because someone is SA, doesn't mean they are somehow more special than any other member of the House.
Senebty,
Zat (She who makes Sekhmet laugh)
Sau apprentice | Fedw | The Library | zat@kemet.org

Sat Wepwawet-Yinepu her Hekatawy Alexandros (AUS) meryt Seshat-Nit-Nebthet her Heru-wer her Aset-Serqet

« Reply #70 on: December 30, 2009, 09:10:47 am »
Quote from: Shezatwepwawet
If I may add a little more, becoming Shemsu-ankh isn't an automatic either if you simply want to do it. It's a privilege, and just because someone is SA, doesn't mean they are somehow more special than any other member of the House.

Zat is right.  Not more special than any other.
However there is a different level of responsibility, but responsibility does not equal "specialness" or better... just different.

Actually it's somewhat rougher because certain expectations are enacted - you are expected to look after your brothers and sisters in the faith, you are expected to be an upstanding member in the faith,...ect.

These are expectations the community has of the Ankified ones as well as the expectations the Gods have.

That's not to say the SA's are perfect all the time - we're all human and mistakes will be made (that's inevitable).  

One thing worth pointing out, and this has been mentioned before:

When it comes to the priesthood, SA's and S's... it's important to note that we're ALL shemsu... just shemsu with different responsibilities.
(kind of like pointing out that in the priesthood, we're ALL w'abu... just wa'bu with different responsibilities and the "titles" (if you will) denote the responsibility differences)

They (titles or responsibilities) don't make anyone "better" than anyone else.  Just doing different work.
Senebty,

Qaitsenu

I will be remembered by those whose lives I've most affected, and least realized it.

W'abet Djehuty her Bast | Herisesheta Bast
Sau Apprentice | Fedw Diviner | The Original Kitbis

http://deskofthescribe.blogspot.com

« Reply #71 on: December 30, 2009, 04:45:45 pm »
Thanks guys, that helps.

Senebty,
Corvina
[color:blue]Child of Aset[/color]

Offline Niheri

• Shemsu
« Reply #72 on: September 20, 2010, 07:48:19 am »
Thankyou, Devo, for starting this very interesting discussion. I have to admit, I was a little "put off" at first by the idea of the Kingly Ka being carried by one specicific individual, but as I learn more I think that the Nisut would not be able to fulfill Her responsibilities if She did not. She obviously cares deeply for Her spiritual community, and works very hard on everyone's behalf. It is very unlikely that I would be able to meet Her, but if I could I would count it a privilege. Everyone@s answers to your original question have been really helpful to me. Thankyou :).
Daughter of Wepwawet-Yinepu

Beloved of Set and Amun-Ra.

« Reply #73 on: March 02, 2012, 01:32:52 pm »
Quote from: Sedjemes
Hotep Devo

I can only answer as a Kemetic Orthodox. I came to the House of Netjer, with as full of an understanding as I could have, after completing the beginners/prospective members/interested people course offered here, and after reading a lot of scholarly texts on egyptian religion and history.

Not every Kemetic may think a Nisut is important. That is fine. Here, the Nisut is our spiritual teacher, our leader, and our King. She does not set down "commandments" or "rules" for us or even tells us how or when we should pray and how our lives should be before we can even pray;  but in matters of state ritual She is the Chief and Only Priest.

Hope this helps :)

Senebty
Sedjemes

Just out of curiousity you said:

state ritual

Which "state" were you refering to? A physical location? A "state" of mind? Egypt?

Ankh Wedja Seneb

Offline Sedjemes

• Semer-Wati
  • Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #74 on: March 02, 2012, 02:16:13 pm »
Em hotep

In the Kemetic Orthodox context (which is how I replied) the "state" here refers to our faith, Kemetic Orthodoxy, as a whole. We are a people of faith (in case it was not apparent to guests, these forums are a discussion adjunct of the House of Netjer, our Kemetic Orthodox temple, and not merely a generic Kemetic discussion forum).

As Kemetic Orthodox we consider Rev. Tamara Siuda as our Nisut, who performs rituals on behalf of the nation of faith, that is, all Kemetic Orthodox around the world. The priests of this faith do likewise, just as in antiquity. At the same time and in addition and complementary too, each and every single individual Kemetic Orthodox has personal, private devotionals, prayers, rites, and ways to worship and honor the gods.

Senebty
Rev. Marie/Sedjemes
Khenmetaset ("Aset Gladdens")
Sedjemes ("She listens")
Daughter of Aset-Serqet, Meryt Ra her Sekhmet
Heri-Sesheta Aset-Serqet

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 3160
  • stats Total Posts: 295160
  • stats Total Topics: 20150
  • stats Total Categories: 8
  • stats Total Boards: 119