collapse collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 74
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

Author Topic: Leadership in the Common Era  (Read 67729 times)

Offline Sekhmetnenek

• Shemsu
Re: Leadership in the Common Era
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2009, 11:01:26 am »
Em hotep Huyitu-

I just wanted to say that I agree with you. I would feel very shaky if I knew the Nisut could read everything I posted all the time, and respond to it. I normally don't feel like I have much to add to discussion anyways, but that would be the nail in my coffin XD
Sekhmetnenek|Sekhmet Belongs to Me|
Sa Sekhmet-Hethert,
Mery Nebthet-Nit-Seshat

Offline Awetitu

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2009, 11:26:46 am »
Quote from: Devo
This topic/question relates to leadership in the common era, specifically, the Nisut. I haven't been able to find much information on this, and I've heard conflicting answers as to why there is a Nisut, the necessity of a Nisut, and what role said Nisut plays in modern Kemetic practice.

Conflicting answers are an inevitability, as each person will see Hemet's (AUS) role differently depending on their take on the religion.  Some will define her as a Pope of sorts, others as their King, and others as their Priest. Much like the Religion itself there are many different definitions for essentially the same thing. There are some common misconceptions as to why there is a Nisut (AUS) and how this came about, and one of the biggest is that Hemet (AUS) "chose" to become Nisut. I suppose you could look upon it that way, but in fact she was chosen, not the other way around.  IIRC in my discussions with her, she was very reluctant to be the bearer of the Kingly Ka, but after some very convincing "arguments" were made, she acquiesced.
So, in your opinion, how important is a Nisut in your Kemetic practices? And why?

The Nisut (AUS) is my spiritual guide and teacher.  She is a source of inspiration and a source of comfort. Her Prayerbook contains the rituals that I use and the prayers that I recite.
Awetitu - aka Awi
Sa Sobek her Set, mery Heru-wer her Sekhmet-Hethert

Offline Senedjem

• Shemsu
« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2009, 02:11:59 pm »
Hotep! I was kind of hesitant to comment on this particular thread, but here goes. I am a highly critical and skeptical person. I have studied world religions since I was eleven years old looking for my niche so to speak, and the House has done that for me in so many ways. I feel like I have a family here, and I have a relationship with God I haven't had since my childhood. None of this would be possible without Hemet, and of course the community as a whole. I had honestly lost hope that God was personal and wanted anything to do with humans on a intimate level, but then I got to know some of the names. I was skeptical of the Nisut (AUS) at one time, but then I listened to her speak on the podcasts. She had the most calm yet authoritative voice. I had never been impressed by a spiritual leader like I was her. There is no doubt in my mind she is who she is. Call that a divine revelation, or whatever you like, but I know without a doubt she is the possessor of the kingly ka, and our king. I say what Netjer has shown me to be true. I cannot just call her a High Priest personally, for I know she is more then that. She is our connection with Netjer, and my spiritual life is so enriched since I came to the House. I thank Hemet and all the Priests and fellow beginners, and Remetj and Shemsu. Thank you all. :)

Senebty

Offline Devo

• Remetj
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2009, 02:27:31 pm »
Quote from: Vethorn
Em hotep Devo!
if you become a Beginner or higher, you have access to a special forum where you can ask the Nisut questions directly and she responds.

Yes, I'm aware that there are forums that I don't have access to, that I'd need to take the beginners course to gain access to. However, despite being here for nearly 6 months now, I have yet to find where the new classes are being posted, where to sign up for them, or anything of that sort. I will admit, I find it frustrating that the websites aren't kept more up to date. Until I knew of the HoN section of KO, I honestly thought that KO had gone under, because of the lack of updates.

I'm waiting to see if and when a new class is posted, to hopefully learn more, to see if my current views and feelings change.

Quote from: NiankhSekhmet
Hotep Devo

I saw your words "chose" to be Nisut and I had to giggle. That is a common misconception from many outside of Kemetic Orthodoxy.  It is my personal observation that no one but the biggest masochist or the most undeniably stupid person on the face of the planet would ever "choose" that position.

And as for not seeing her anywhere, well our Nisut (AUS) is a part of the Parliament of World Religions. She is a regular contributor in many places, not just here. And she most definitely is not absent from Her people.  We have access to her - probably more than many modern spiritual leaders. She has absolutely no problem interacting with and being available to the People within the Faith. Everyone from Beginner's on up have access to Her.

I would like to hear further why someone wouldn't "choose" such a position. Seems to me that being the head of one of the most prominent Kemetic groups would be a lot of power, and more often than not, people like power.

I must just be missing this access due to not being a "beginner". Perhaps after I've taken the beginners course, and have access to other boards, my thoughts will change.

Quote from: Huyitu

Its unfortunate that the Nisut only interacts on her own forum, but she does so for a reason. I imagine if she tired to be on every section of our forums she wouldn’t have any time to do her other functions! That and many people, including myself, would probably be a little more uneasy about posting if they knew she chimed in regularly, I know that seems silly but I bet its true especially for beginners and guests.

I honestly have to say that I completely disagree with this. The places I feel the most comfortable are the places where the admin are most see-able. I get nervous when the leader of a group doesn't interact with their people on all levels. The leader of a group is the most watched and prominent figure in said group. So to me, you should strive to know as many of the people in a group as can be.

I understand that I lack the ability to see all forums, but even so, at first glance, she appears very hidden, which has always concerned me.

-Devo
dA | FB | Tumblr | WP

Offline Menemaset

• Shemsu
« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2009, 02:32:41 pm »
Em hotep, Devo!

Yes, I'm aware that there are forums that I don't have access to, that I'd need to take the beginners course to gain access to. However, despite being here for nearly 6 months now, I have yet to find where the new classes are being posted, where to sign up for them, or anything of that sort.

I found information on applying very easily. All it takes is glancing around the kemet.org page. No, the front page isn't updated very often, but it's not too difficult to find relevant information. For instance, in the "Next Beginner's Group!" update on the front page about the beginner's class (which is outdated, yes) there is a link to apply right there. In link form.

Information on applying is also in the "About Us" section, specifically on the "Becoming Kemetic Orthodox" page. In my experience so far, the "About Us" section is probably one of the best places to start out when attempting to understand this faith.

Senebty!

Coty

Edited to add: Additionally, the beginner's class that started at the end of October (the one that I'm in now) has been the only publicly unannounced class in awhile, as far as I can see. The class before the current one was announced in the Public Announcement forum of this board.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2009, 04:29:44 pm by Coty »
Menem
Son of Aset, beloved of Seshat and Mut

"The hardest thing in this world is to live in it. Be brave. Live." -Buffy

Offline Sema'a

• Rev. Danielle - Ordained Clergy
« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2009, 03:07:23 pm »
To answer why someone would not want the "power" of being the Nisut, I say this old cliché: with great power comes great responsibility. Nisuthood is really not about "power", but about a duty to serve the gods and their followers. To hear the concerns of the Remetj and Shemsu, to perform rituals for the gods several times daily, to coordinate the priesthood, to arrange the details of all these workshops and to keep on top of all the paperwork required to be a legally recognized religion within the United States. Her email is open to all member of the faith, plus outsiders, and is used frequently. She has her forum, which she reads and answers. She teaches the priests. On top of THAT, She answers to the gods. If I were asked to be Nisut, I would respectfully decline.

Speaking as the president of a chapter of a large college organization, power is not a blessing. Everyone thinks they'd like to be the president-- but it is a thankless, grueling job. I only coordinate 30 people, and on a very small scale. If I had known at my unopposed election what I know now, I don't know if I would have run quite so lightheartedly.  This is a much larger scale organization, answering to God. I can't even imagine what it must be like.

It's easy to assume that she just lounges around and delegates as someone outside the faith, because rather than focusing on the internet, which is not the primary mode of existence for our faith, she is focusing on the faith itself, serving Netjer and Its followers. The website is a pleasant addition, but should it become outdated, it won't be the end of the world. Anyone can ask on our forums when the class will run and how to join. It is the spiritual needs of this community that should and do take her priority. :)

Senebty,
Sobeq
Sema'a Ankh Hen'a Semawy (Sobeqsenu)
Priest of Wepwawet and Sekhmet-Mut
Beloved of Bast, Nut, Khonsu & Nebt-het
Heri-sesheta Wepwawet | Fedw Diviner
revdgallo@kemet.org

Offline Tahotep

• Shemsu
« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2009, 03:16:34 pm »
Quote from: Huyitu
I agree with Vethorn! Once I took the beginners class and read what the Nisut had to say it dispelled a lot of my worries about her. That and many members have a chance to interact with her via the chats or even on IM if they can find the time. [. . .]

Now when we talk about if the Nisut feels like a king to me or a high priestess its hard to differentiate. I do admit that she does feel like more of a high priestess, which is good, because that’s one of the major roles of the Nisut! Ancient Egypt was a monarchy and theocracy after all. Does she feel like a leader, yes, she does to me anyways. [. . .]

Honestly though most of the institutions of old cannot be restored, nor, do I think people of the modern era would flourish under those institutions since we are not living a couple thousand years ago. Kemetic Orthodoxy doesn’t go out to restore those old institutions, it seeks to build something new based on historical evidence, modern living, ancient theology, and technology to create a new institution that’s heart is the same as the old: to serve the gods.

Quoted for truth.  Ellipses/bolding mine.

I personally love the fact that Hemet (AUS) lets us come to her, and even makes a point to speak directly to us, whether it be in Saq rituals, Duas, or even just in an appointment time-slot to discuss something that's been weighing on our hearts/minds.  Yes she's busy and rightly so--it's a lot of work to run a religious organization (or ANY organization), to say nothing of it's international status.

I remember when Huyitu and I went up for our RPD.  We both went in somewhat skeptical and unsure of what to expect.  Would this "Nisut" be someone legit or just someone out for our money?  I can tell you, wow--meeting her was truly amazing, not in that she appeared in full KO regalia (fancy hat and all).  No, she came down in a long-sleeve Tshirt and comfortable jeans.  She didn't make us bow or anything, yet I felt this irrepressible urge to at least sketch a small respectful bow, and I don't do that to *anyone* else.  It was a truly incredible experience.  Both of us, upon later chats, discovered we both felt this incredible weight around her--like a nearly palpable weight that she carried with her.  Yet she was a gracious hostess, a loving leader, and a completely approachable and friendly person all at once.

Quote from: yosef1986
Hotep! I was kind of hesitant to comment on this particular thread, but here goes. I am a highly critical and skeptical person. I have studied world religions since I was eleven years old looking for my niche so to speak, and the House has done that for me in so many ways. I feel like I have a family here, and I have a relationship with God I haven't had since my childhood. None of this would be possible without Hemet, and of course the community as a whole. I had honestly lost hope that God was personal and wanted anything to do with humans on a intimate level, but then I got to know some of the names. I was skeptical of the Nisut (AUS) at one time, but then I listened to her speak on the podcasts. She had the most calm yet authoritative voice. I had never been impressed by a spiritual leader like I was her. There is no doubt in my mind she is who she is. Call that a divine revelation, or whatever you like, but I know without a doubt she is the possessor of the kingly ka, and our king. [. . .]

Again--I agree. Yoseph here stated MANY of the same thoughts and concerns/feelings I had in my early experiences with KO and HoN.
I completely felt and realized the heavy and full presence of the kingly ka she must deal with every day.  I sensed that weight and that she understood it's gravity and seriousness, while still being a willing vassal and part of it.

Devo, I know you are concerned, and believe me--a healthy sense of skepticism in this world is NOT a bad thing!  I even went into the RPD semi-concerned that it was all an elaborate scam/hoax.  Only when I started watching and realizing how hard it would be to fake these sorts of things (I'll explain in private if you'd like to know more), it helped place my mind at ease.  When I got my readings and heard and saw things that could be explained no other way, it blew me away.

And when you "enter into the ranks" as it were, whether you are Divined Remetj, Shemsu, or even just as a Beginner, then you can still access her.  Even now if you email her I believe you can chat with her one on one.  She has the ability and desire to talk to each of the people who reach out to her, believe me.  Even just during open hours when you message her, she almost *always* responds :)

If you want to talk to me about this, because you sound a lot like me when I first started talking about this, you can feel free to PM me or send me an IM--my contact info is in my profile :)

Senebty,

Tahotep
Tahotepirty
"Peace of (the) Two Eyes" or "Peaceful Two Eyes"
Sat Hethert-Sekhmet her Bast, meryt Aset-Serquet her Amunet

Offline Maainakhtsen

« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2009, 04:06:04 pm »
You don't have to join the House to communicate with the Nisut.

nisut@kemet.org
Senebty,
Ma'ai

"A great pleasure in life is doing what others say you can't." -A Fortune Cookie

Offline Seshagemseger

• Divined Remetj
« Reply #23 on: December 23, 2009, 04:16:15 pm »
Em hotep!

To add to the already excellent posts here, from a purely religious standpoint the Nisut (AUS) acts as a sort of parallel to the sun.  

From my perspective, while fulfilling personal religious practices and relationships with Netjer would be possible without that, it takes a Nisut (AUS) and the attendant rituals to truly make the religion complete, as a community that can honestly call itself Kemet.

Stephen Quirke's The Cult of Ra I think reinforces the parallel between king and sun.
Child of Seshat
Beloved of Hethert, Serqet, and Shu
seshat.org / Facebook / LiveJournal

Offline NiankhSekhmet

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #24 on: December 23, 2009, 04:24:26 pm »
Em hotep Devo:

I would like to hear further why someone wouldn't "choose" such a position. Seems to me that being the head of one of the most prominent Kemetic groups would be a lot of power, and more often than not, people like power.

-Devo

And you think that she might have done this for "Power"?   So to address your remark regarding power;  while it is true that most people do pursue and desire more power rather than less, She most certainly didn't do this for a power trip. I know people have inferred that here and there, but those people do not know her.I think that Hemet's main concern was to found the Faith, do it in a way that was most in keeping with antiquity.   Certainly we do not claim to be the only way, but this is our way. No one says anyone has to accept it. There are plenty of places online that don't have a Nisut as well.

I understand that I lack the ability to see all forums, but even so, at first glance, she appears very hidden, which has always concerned me.

Well, there is a concept that is called "safe space" and some of our Membership, myself included, feels that there is great benefit to be had that is not so easily perused by those who are not members of the Temple.  I want a place where I can discuss with members of my faith things that concern us and our community. That shouldn't bother anyone, really. Do you give access to the whole of your life and privacy to the world at large? I am betting you don't. No one does.

If it concerns you, certainly you can write to Her directly as I and others have posted in this thread at:

nisut@kemet.org

As for not updating the website, we went through a period of transition where the person who was doing it moved on in their life to another position and others are getting up to speed. I am sorry that you have been here for six months and have not gotten an update about when our beginners courses are - if you are interested in them.  We are just finishing up the latest one in about two weeks and there will be another pretty shortly after that.  We tend to run them throughout the year, so the rumours and assumptions about our demise are greatly exaggerated. ;)

Please do check back if you are interested and we do keep people posted who do apply to take them.

Senebty!

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by NiankhSekhmet »
NiankhSekhmet
Sat Sekhmet-Mut/HetHert
Meryt-Amun (Beloved of Amun)
Heri Seshta Sekhmet-Mut / HetHert

Offline Sedjemes

• Semer-Wati
  • Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #25 on: December 23, 2009, 04:36:56 pm »
Hotep Devo.

You said "However, despite being here for nearly 6 months now, I I have yet to find where to sign up for them,   Until I knew of the HoN section of KO, I honestly thought that KO had gone under, because of the lack of updates.

First of all, there is no such thing as the "HoN section of KO." Kemet.org is the webpage Internet presence of Kemetic Orthodoxy which is the House of Netjer which is Kemetic Orthodoxy. These forums are just one part. Sometimes people come straight to the forums, sometimes people find kemet.org and then the forums. In either case we certainly encourage people to read kemet.org while also participating in the forums especially if they have interest in our faith and practice.

So, for all those interested in applying to at least participate in the beginners program the relevant webpage starts at http://www.kemet.org/kemexp4.html  
 New groups usually form every five or so months. They are not done through the website. ALl those who apply and are accepted into the next class receive informational emails about the course and how it is set up.

For guests, in our structure members of the clergy are the most visible administrators here on these forums. However, it needs to be said that all the material on the kemet.org pages and the topics on these forums, just to name two things, come from teh NIsut. So anyone who reads anything on kemet.org is learning about this faith directly from its founder and spiritual leader.

As to the rest--of course, each person can only be where he or she is most content.

Senebty
Sedjemes
« Last Edit: December 23, 2009, 05:48:47 pm by Sedjemes »
Khenmetaset ("Aset Gladdens")
Sedjemes ("She listens")
Daughter of Aset-Serqet, Meryt Ra her Sekhmet
Heri-Sesheta Aset-Serqet

« Reply #26 on: December 23, 2009, 05:28:50 pm »
Quote from: Sedjemes
Hotep Devo.

First of all, there is no such thing as the "HoN section of KO." Kemet.org is the webpage Internet presence of Kemetic Orthodoxy which is the House of Netjer which is Kemetic Orthodoxy. These forums are just one part. Sometimes people come straight to the forums, sometimes people find kemet.org and then the forums. In either case we certainly encourage people to read kemet.org while also participating in the forums especially if they have interest in our faith and practice.

Hotep KI Sedjemes,

I hope I'm not barging in with a totally stupid question,but I just have to ask it now  ;) Is the House the only Kemetic group that calls itself "Kemetic Orthodox"? Reason I ask,is I've found at least one other group webpage (it may have been mentioned on the forums somewhere already,but I have absolutely no idea where I'd find it.) that calls itself a "Kemetic Orthodox" temple,and as far as I can tell,are not affiliated with HoN in any way.

I'm not sure how "legit" they are - it's not a very active looking site,and they may actually be totally out in left field,and not even a real group anyway,but now I'm wondering about the "Orthodox" part.

I'm sincerely hoping I don't ruffle any feathers for anyone - just curious here  :)
Daughter of Yinepu-Wepwawet,Beloved of Bast-Mut,Amun-Ra,Khonsu,and NebtHet-Nit-Seshat

Offline Sedjemes

• Semer-Wati
  • Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #27 on: December 23, 2009, 05:35:46 pm »
Hotep JulieAnne :)

By the way--no question asked here, no matter how provocative, will ever ruffle feathers. We prefer questions be asked honestly in the hope of seeking reasonable clarification and sharing ideas. We can only offer the answers that work for us :)

We consider ourselves Kemetic Orthodox, but I am not certain at this moment that we hold any "patent" on that. I will have to find out for sure if we are able to keep anyone else from calling themselves that. The House of Netjer is legally recognizable as a non-profit religious organization, at least.

All we can hope is that anyone interested will come here and look around and see what we are all about and decide for themselves.

Senebty!
Sedjemes
« Last Edit: December 23, 2009, 05:44:03 pm by Sedjemes »
Sedjemes ("She listens")
Heri-Sesheta Aset-Serqet

Offline Senushemi

• Forum Moderator (Beginners' Forums)
  • Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #28 on: December 23, 2009, 05:44:20 pm »
Quote from: Sedjemes
... the beginners program the relevant webpage starts at http://www.kemet.org/kemexp4.html.

Em hotep Kai Imakhu Sedjemes!

Just wanted to point out that the above link doesn't work... did you mean this page, by any chance?   Beginner's FAQ
Sat Bast her Djehuty meryt Sekhmet
Fedw Diviner for Djehuty and Bast
Self-Care Sekhmet Advocate
Proud waver of the "senu" flag.
senushemi@gmail.com

Offline Sedjemes

• Semer-Wati
  • Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #29 on: December 23, 2009, 05:49:28 pm »
Hotep Shemi

I have made that error before, it is the period at the end of what shoudl be the sentence, that messes up the link.

I edited it so it should work now!

Thanks!
Sedjemes ("She listens")
Heri-Sesheta Aset-Serqet

* Most Recent Topics

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 3061
  • stats Total Posts: 291621
  • stats Total Topics: 19821
  • stats Total Categories: 8