Register
collapse collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 60
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 2
  • Dot Users Online:

Author Topic: KEMET THIS WEEK, Episode 1, 06/19/2009  (Read 2725 times)

Offline Senushemi

• Forum Moderator (Beginners' Forums)
  • Shemsu-Ankh
KEMET THIS WEEK, Episode 1, 06/19/2009
« on: December 29, 2009, 09:04:11 pm »
KEMET THIS WEEK – PODCAST #1 for June 19, 2009

INTRODUCTION

And we’re back.  Hello everybody, I’m the Rev. Craig Schaefer and you’re listening to “Kemet This Week.”  It’s been a long time since we were able to bring you these regular podcasts.  O.K., semi-regular podcasts.  Would you believe… infrequent podcasts?  

Anyway, we are back with a fresh start and a slightly revised format.  Instead of longer and more sporadic episodes, I’ll be aiming to bring you a slightly shorter but brand new podcast every single week going up either on Friday night or Saturday morning.  Rev. Tamara Suida will sit in as her schedule permits.  I will be conducting some interview segments in the coming weeks that I think you’re going to like and a few other nifty surprises.  As always, our show’s music is provided by the highly talented Rev. Dave Dean.  

This week my attention has been half a world away.  Like many of you I have been glued to the reports coming out of Iran, gleaning a kind of a picture from the jigsaw puzzle pieces of information that have slipped out.  If you haven’t heard the news don’t feel bad, the Western media thinks you’re far more interested in the state of Jon and Kate’s marriage, or how Octomom is treating her children, than learning about a budding revolution.  But that’s a talk for another time.  

See, this week, Iran held it’s tenth presidential election and you know, I’m not going to even mince words here, take it from dozens of experts the world over who study these things for a living - the election was stolen.  The incumbent president, Ahmadinejad, supposedly won by an unprecedented landslide, and by unprecedented – folks, I think you could run against Hitler and not get these kinds of numbers; and the ballots were hand counted, I... I think by the Flash, apparently, because apparently millions upon millions of votes were hand counted in less than three hours time.  Now the Ayatollah Khamenei, the Supreme leader of the Guardian Council (the real power in Iran), has held up the results as ordained by Allah.  In other words, don’t question it.  

But they did question it.  The next day, an estimated two million people in Tehran alone, proudly wearing the green of Islam, took to the streets to demand their rights.  It was not without incident.  The Basij, a “student union” who served the purpose in Iran as the brown shirts did for the Nazi regime, opened fire on unarmed, peaceful protestors.  They viciously beat innocent men and women in the streets and then they stormed the dormitories of Tehran University, attacking sleeping college students and destroying computers and books.  Now the government has shut down all lines of communication, from telephones to the internet, and they are rounding up dissidents whose only crime was to ask to be treated like human beings.  But the next morning, the very next morning the protestors returned, wearing black now in mourning for those who had been murdered by Ahmadinejad’s thugs and filling the streets in silent protest; and the day after that, after another night of brutality at the hands of the Basij militia, they did it again.  

Now I can’t say they are unafraid, gods, wouldn’t you be? I know I would.  But that’s the definition of true courage; being afraid, but marching ahead in spite of that fear because you KNOW it’s the right thing to do.  At the time of this recording, I don’t know how this story is going to end.  It appears the more moderate liberal clerics on the Guardian Council are seeing the situation not just as a referendum on the dictator Ahmadinejad but on the Ayatollah Khamenei as well.  In return of course, Ahmadinejad and Khamenei are doing what all tyrants do; the threatening of swift escalation of violence if the protests do not cease.  Things could get a lot worse before they get better.  They probably are.  No one can say what the face of Iran will be one day, one week, or one month from today, but I’ll tell you what I do know; God gave us a world.  God gave us a world of amazing abundance, and beauty, and potential, and said I made this for you, do good things with it.  And that’s part of what ma’at is all about.  Doing the best we can with the resources we have been given to build a world that reflects the wonder of the Divine.  A world of compassion, a world of freedom, a world of love.  

What we are seeing in Iran this week I believe is nothing less than a movement toward ma’at.  The collective will of a people who are rising up against a corrupt system and saying no more, this is wrong and we are done with it.  They are saying it with their voices, they are saying it with their deeds, and many - too many - are saying it with the sacrifice of their lives.  When Isfet gets its claws into a person or a government, when weeds take root in the garden of Netjer, the price to uproot them is bitter and hard.  But in the end, and history has shown us this time and time again, in the end NO EVIL can stand against the power of the human spirit.  I stand now and salute these brave men and women, our brothers and sisters in Islam, who are showing that spirit to the world.  I hope that you will join me in praying for their safety.  I pray that those who stand against them will open their hearts and allow peace to spread; spread not just to the borders of Iran, but all the world over as we work towards the day when all people, no matter their nationality, no matter their faith, share in the same basic human rights.  I pray for the souls of the fallen that they will be remembered, and that they will know watching over us from the West that their sacrifice was not in vain.  Let us pray.

You have been listening to “Kemet This Week”, Episode 1, for June 19, 2009.  Thank you and I will see you next time.
Sat Bast her Djehuty her Hekatawy Alexandros (AUS) meryt Sekhmet
Fedw Diviner for Djehuty and Bast
Self-Care Sekhmet Advocate
Proud waver of the "senu" flag.
senushemi@gmail.com

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 3250
  • stats Total Posts: 298329
  • stats Total Topics: 20448
  • stats Total Categories: 8
  • stats Total Boards: 124
  • stats Most Online: 955