collapse collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 46
  • Dot Hidden: 1
  • Dot Users: 5
  • Dot Users Online:

Author Topic: KEMET THIS WEEK, Episode 5, 07/24/2009  (Read 2422 times)

Offline Senushemi

• Forum Moderator (Beginners' Forums)
  • Shemsu-Ankh
KEMET THIS WEEK, Episode 5, 07/24/2009
« on: December 29, 2009, 09:30:06 pm »
KEMET THIS WEEK – PODCAST #5

Hello, everybody, and welcome to “Kemet This Week.”  Wep Ronpet is almost here, so this year I’d like to talk to you about... New Year’s resolutions.  I know, I know, just like most of you I’ve made my share over the years and broken my share as well.  Sometimes it seems like one naturally follows the other and the question isn’t whether I’ll keep a resolution all year but how many months or weeks or days it’ll take before breaking it.

So why do we do it at all?  On the secular calendar, the New Year’s Day marks the start of a new year and another milestone in our lives.  While people are living longer than ever, we still only get so many years, and the changing of the calendar is a reminder for us to value the time we have.  For the Kemetic Orthodox, our New Year’s Day takes on even greater significance.  It’s the dawn of renewal in the truest sense.  The old year, the old slate wiped away, and the beginning of a new world, a world that will become whatever we make it.  What a powerful time to contemplate the things in your own life that you’d like to change and resolve to improve yourself in the year to come.  Almost too powerful, really.  By attaching our goals to the turning of the year, there’s a certain urge to reach for the grandiose, to match the momentousness of the occasion.  This’ll be the year that I exercise every single day, that I write the great American novel, that I lose a hundred pounds, that I pay all my bills and get out of debt completely.  Is it any wonder, setting the stakes so high, that the temptation to give up is almost insurmountable?  And once we do surrender to inertia, it makes it that much harder to keep future resolutions.  After all, we’ve failed once--why bother trying again?

I believe that New Year’s resolutions are a valuable and worthwhile tool, but it’s important to temper optimism with realism.  A small, manageable goal might not seem terribly impressive, but ask yourself this:  what’s better, a small objective that you successfully meet, giving you the sense of pride and accomplishment to help you move on to your next goal and then the next after that, and so on and so on, or an enormous task that ends in defeat?  So here’s one of my new year’s resolutions, which I’m sharing by way of example.  I want to put more emphasis on my writing career in the coming year.  At first I considered resolving to write 2,000 words a day, every day.  It’s a feasible goal - I’ve sustained that kind of pace for a few weeks at a time in the past - but then I thought about it honestly.  I’m working longer hours than ever at my job, the Temple takes up more and more time as our membership grows, I have some projects that have to get done around the house in the near future, and I realized – 2,000 words every day?  Every single day, meaning the moment that I have a crisis or a large block of appointments I’ve failed to meet my goal?  With that resolution, I’d be setting myself up to fail.  So I’m dialing it back a little.  My new year’s resolution is to write 10,000 words a week. That’s about 1,400 a day, or, to put it another way, I can still write 2,000 words every day and afford to skip two days a week if I have something else that has to get done.  It’s close to my original goal, but I’ve built in a little padding, so to speak.  It’s a goal that will challenge me to stick to a schedule and improve my discipline, but loose enough that I won’t feel daunted before I even start.  I think I can do it!  Of course, I’ve just announced my resolution to you all on this podcast, so now I’d better stick to it or I’m really going to look silly.

In a nutshell, look for resolutions that will challenge you, stretch your boundaries, but not pile so much on your shoulders that you can’t hope to succeed.  New Year’s resolutions should be a fun opportunity to grow, not a year-long uphill struggle.  I encourage you to think it over and give it a try.  Now is the time, because Wep Ronpet is less than two weeks away.  There’s change in the air.  Can you feel it?  Don’t let the chance to become a part of that change pass you by.

This has been “Kemet This Week,” Episode 5, for July 24, 2009. Thanks for listening, and we’ll see you next week.

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Senushemi »
Sat Bast her Djehuty her Hekatawy Alexandros (AUS) meryt Sekhmet
Fedw Diviner for Djehuty and Bast
Self-Care Sekhmet Advocate
Proud waver of the "senu" flag.
senushemi@gmail.com

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 3250
  • stats Total Posts: 298330
  • stats Total Topics: 20448
  • stats Total Categories: 8
  • stats Total Boards: 124