Register
collapse collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 47
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 2
  • Dot Users Online:

Author Topic: KEMET THIS WEEK, Episode 8, 08/21/2009  (Read 2401 times)

Offline Senushemi

• Forum Moderator (Beginners' Forums)
  • Shemsu-Ankh
KEMET THIS WEEK, Episode 8, 08/21/2009
« on: December 29, 2009, 09:45:43 pm »
KEMET THIS WEEK – PODCAST 8

Em hotep everyone, and welcome to “Kemet this Week.”  There is a time when we commemorate the spirits of our ancestors, when we celebrate and make offerings to the dead and give thanks for their guidance.  No, not Halloween, wrong part of the world.  I’m talking about the Wag Festival, and while there may not be costumes and candy, we don’t have to wait until October either.  It's right here, right now, and there is no better way to start the new year.

Does that sound a little odd?  Starting the new year by thinking about dead people?  We’re about beginnings, not endings, right?  And that is exactly the point.

We believe, as Kemetic Orthodox, that death is not the end of our experience.   It is the end of a cycle, nothing more.  Once judged and found pure, we live anew as the Akhu, the blessed dead.  The Akhu are all around us, watching over us, looking after their descendants (that’s you and me), and helping to give us all a little nudge when we need it most.  I’m sometimes amused; you know, we do a segment on heka and such in the beginners’ classes and folks are always drawn to the spooky stuff.  I think that’s human nature.  We get a lot of questions and a lot of worry about mu’uet, the unclean spirits; those who flee the weighing of the heart and remain in our world to make trouble.  I respect their concern, but what I always say is; “Of all of the things in the universe to worry about, of all the dangers out there, that ought to be near the rock-bottom of your list. Why?  Because you’ve got Akhu.  Even if you don’t know their names, you have ancestors and relatives in the west, and there is nothing, nothing in the world that an unclean spirit can do that the Akhu can’t stop flat.  The Rev. Siuda has said many times, and I believe her, that you can go your entire life never hearing a one word about the gods, never seeing a statue, or reading a prayer; as long as you had a good relationship with your Akhu, you’d be just fine.

Think about someone you knew, someone you loved, who went to the west.  You know, they are still here.   They never left, not really.  And remember that the Akhu are just like us, they are us, and we will one day be them.  They understand what it’s like to have a bad day at work, or see the bills piling up, or sleep with a broken heart.  They know because it’s happened to them too.  And, if you’re willing, you can reach out to them.  They would love to give you a helping hand.

So take some time this weekend, during this Wag Festival, and think about your ancestors.   Think about the people who have traveled to the west before you and what they did in this life to lay the bricks in the road you’re traveling down now.  Make an offering and say thank you.  It doesn’t take long, and I don’t think you’ll regret it.

As we enter our Year of Djehuty, this year of planning with a focus of action, we’re going to need some powerful resources to make our dreams come true.  Whatever your goals, you don’t have to do it alone.  You have a community; and our community includes both the living and the dead.  Now is the time for you to get right with your Akhu, to make sure they’re standing in your corner.  In doing so, you cement your own place in this community of faith and establish your role and legacy that has stretched for thousands upon thousands of years; the chain of life from the land of the living to the blessed west to the living once more is endless and never ceasing.  None of us is an island, and that is truly something worth celebrating.

You’ve been listening to “Kemet this Week” for August 21st, 2009.  Thanks for stopping by and we’ll see you next week.
Sat Bast her Djehuty her Hekatawy Alexandros (AUS) meryt Sekhmet
Fedw Diviner for Djehuty and Bast
Self-Care Sekhmet Advocate
Proud waver of the "senu" flag.
senushemi@gmail.com

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 3260
  • stats Total Posts: 298646
  • stats Total Topics: 20478
  • stats Total Categories: 8
  • stats Total Boards: 117
  • stats Most Online: 955