collapse collapse

* Donation Status

74%
Current donation status as of December 21, 2021 = $1,851.48 of $2,500 or 74%
Donate!

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 21
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

Author Topic: Egyptian Gods and Goddesses  (Read 6824 times)

Egyptian Gods and Goddesses
« on: July 07, 2011, 12:46:39 pm »
Peace Be to All here!
My name is Wayne and Im new here. I have bought a copy of the prayerbook and the prayers are beautiful. But I have so many questions, so please be patient with me, for I really wish to have the knowledge. I have heard how I should believe the Gods and Goddesses of Kemet are demons or not real or aliens all this stuff, well I dont believe any of that. I have heard also that the God Set is the real God of the Hebrews or Hyksos, is this true? Are the Gods of Kemet the true Gods? I need to know, and if they are the true Gods and Goddesses, how do I serve them in a proper way. For I grew up christian and none of my prayers have ever been answered. Plus if the Gods of Kemet are true, do they have scriptures to read and study?
 Please help

Re: Egyptian Gods and Goddesses
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2011, 01:40:39 pm »
Quote from: mysticalhermit
Peace Be to All here!
My name is Wayne and Im new here. I have bought a copy of the prayerbook and the prayers are beautiful. But I have so many questions, so please be patient with me, for I really wish to have the knowledge.

Hiya Wayne! We can certainly do that. :)

I have heard how I should believe the Gods and Goddesses of Kemet are demons or not real or aliens all this stuff, well I dont believe any of that. I have heard also that the God Set is the real God of the Hebrews or Hyksos, is this true?

I don't think so. He is a God of the deserts & storms. That kinda sounds like a misinformed myth. Could be wrong about that, but I don't think so-off the top of my head.

Are the Gods of Kemet the true Gods?

That's up to YOU to decide. We find Them true enough!

I need to know, and if they are the true Gods and Goddesses, how do I serve them in a proper way.

That is again, up to you to decide. Everyone has a different path to walk.

For I grew up christian and none of my prayers have ever been answered. Plus if the Gods of Kemet are true, do they have scriptures to read and study?
 Please help  

We don't have scripture in the same manner as the Christian Bible, however there is alot of wisdom literature to study and the 42 negative confession to contemplate. We tend to take our direction directly from the Gods Themselves....when possible. Spiritual guidance also comes in the form of our Nisut.

Hope any of that is helpful.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Ta_Imu_Aset »
Timu

Sat Aset, meryt Wepwawet her Renenutet

Offline Devo

• Remetj
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2011, 03:32:22 pm »
Set was worshipped by the Hyksos, yes. But he is not their god specifically. He is one of many gods in the Egyptian pantheon. And unfortunately, he has undergone the most demonizing over the centuries.

I wouldn't consider any particular gods the "true" gods. All gods (for me) are valid. There is no right or wrong way. If that helps you any.

I you want to connect with the netjeru, I recommend you look through the Prayerbook that you have- it should have prayers and ideas for things you can do to speak with the gods. Sometimes just sitting down, and talking to them in general helps to bring them more into your life. Beyond that, anything is more or less game.

-Devo
dA | FB | Tumblr | WP

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2011, 06:39:15 pm »
Peace to All,
Thank you for the responses, it helps to hear from all of you. I see alot of talk about Gods being parents to you, can someone explain? Sorry but I have alot of learning to do. Plus i find that I have a strong pull towards Set, is this bad? I just really seem to love Set and dont know why, does this mean something that Im not realizing? :/

Offline Qefathethert

• Shemsu
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2011, 12:25:35 am »
Not wrong to love Set at all. I feel good things for Him, and am learning more about Him since finding out He's one of my beloveds.
In this religion, one learns about their parents and beloveds through the rite of parent divination - it's administered by the Nisut, and available to those who first go through the beginners' class.
It's rather life-shaking, and one can certainly still have wonderful relationships with the Names without the rite - and those who have taken the rite are free to honor names outside of their lineup.
Again, only you know what's best for you. Might take some quiet time, listening to your heart, but you can do it.
Sat Hethert-Sekhmet, meryt Bast-Mut her Set.
Devoted to Khonsu

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2011, 02:40:29 am »
Thank you for the advice, I will do as you have said. Truly, thank you

Offline Taqaisenu

• Shemsu
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2011, 07:33:18 am »
Plus i find that I have a strong pull towards Set, is this bad? I just really seem to love Set and dont know why, does this mean something that Im not realizing? :/

Yup, it's bad. Real bad.

Welcome to the red side.

But no worries; we have really good cookies.
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others."
 - Groucho Marx

Sat Set her Hethert-Sekhmet, meryt Heru-Wer, Djehuty her Amun.

Offline Qefathethert

• Shemsu
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2011, 11:33:17 am »
Quote from: Taqaisenu
Plus i find that I have a strong pull towards Set, is this bad? I just really seem to love Set and dont know why, does this mean something that Im not realizing? :/

Yup, it's bad. Real bad.

Welcome to the red side.

xD COOKIES!
Sat Hethert-Sekhmet, meryt Bast-Mut her Set.
Devoted to Khonsu

Offline Awetitu

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2011, 01:54:00 pm »
Peace Be to All here!
My name is Wayne and Im new here. I have bought a copy of the prayerbook and the prayers are beautiful. But I have so many questions, so please be patient with me, for I really wish to have the knowledge.

Em hotep, Wayne!

We will endeavour to answer your questions as best we can. You may not get the answers you WANT to hear, but you will at the very least get answers.
I have heard how I should believe the Gods and Goddesses of Kemet are demons or not real or aliens all this stuff, well I dont believe any of that.

That's a great start! The only religion that I have heard of that worships an extraterrestrial entity is Scientology and we ain't them.
I have heard also that the God Set is the real God of the Hebrews or Hyksos, is this true?

Set is The Lord of the Red Lands, He Before Whom the Sky Shakes and The Lord of the Desert. The Hyksos used Egyptian titles associated with traditional Egyptian kingship, and took the Egyptian god Seth to represent their own titulary deity, but as far as I am aware, he only served as a representation, a place holder and a way for them to get an in with Egyptian society.
Are the Gods of Kemet the true Gods? I need to know, and if they are the true Gods and Goddesses, how do I serve them in a proper way. For I grew up christian and none of my prayers have ever been answered.

Whether or not Gods and Goddesses answer prayers has very little bearing on whether or not they are the true Gods. All we know for certain (and sometimes not even then) is what is true for us as individuals. Currently, the Gods and Goddesses of Kemet are the True Gods for me. This may change as my reality and situation changes at some point in the future, but for now, they are the true Gods and Goddesses based on my own personal gnosis.  As for having your prayers answered, I can sum it up thus:

Every day a man prayed to his God that he might win the lottery and every week he didn't win. He prayed and prayed and wore holes in the knees of his trousers praying that he might win the lottery, but every week it didn't happen. He begged God for a sign, pleaded and moaned to win the lottery every week to no avail, until, finally, many years later a deep booming voice answered his prayers: "BUY A TICKET!"

What I'm saying is that you shouldn't throw everything into prayer and base your decision on how many of them get answered or determine who the true Gods are based on success rate, because you'll find that most run in the 10%-12% range. The Gods tend to help those that help themselves, so sitting on your butt hoping your prayers get answered is going to work about as well in your experience of Kemetic Orthodoxy as it did in Christianity.
Plus if the Gods of Kemet are true, do they have scriptures to read and study?
 Please help  

We will do all that we can to help you find the spritual path that is right for you, even if it's not here.

Senebty!
Awetitu - aka Awi
Sa Sobek her Set, mery Heru-wer her Sekhmet-Hethert

Offline Awetitu

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2011, 02:00:16 pm »
Peace to All,
Thank you for the responses, it helps to hear from all of you. I see alot of talk about Gods being parents to you, can someone explain? Sorry but I have alot of learning to do.

Part of our belief system is what's called a Rite of Parental Divination or RPD wherein it is determined which Names are most closely associated with us and influence us and seem to be most present in our lives. There are Parents (those Names that step forward and claim us as their sons and daughters) and Beloveds (much like aunts and uncles).

A healthy fascination with that which scares us or puzzles us is a good thing. Set is neither good nor bad, chaotic nor ordered. Set is, at least in my experience, that which He is needed to be when He is needed to be it. If that means a huge red [censored]-kicker, then he's a huge red [censored]-kicker. If that means a sly spy, then he's a sly spy. He is not good or evil, He does what needs to be done, no matter how distasteful it may seem, and in some cases, no matter how benign.

Plus, yeah, the cookies are REALLY good.
Awetitu - aka Awi
Sa Sobek her Set, mery Heru-wer her Sekhmet-Hethert

Offline Khenneferitw

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2011, 02:29:15 pm »
Quote from: Taqaisenu

You mean Set makes cookies? Oh man, I might have to get to know him better. ;)

Wayne:

Welcome! Bear in mind that everything in this post is my own personal opinion. That's the beauty of this religion to me - while we are a continuation of the faith of Kemet (ancient Egypt), personal beliefs and piety hold much importance here.

For your questions about "true gods" and their worship and scriptures... in my opinion, there are no true gods. The gods are facets of the Divine Presence that initiated the Big Bang. In KO, that presence is called Netjer, and the facets are every god of every religion that was, is, or will be. This is called monolatry, which you can learn more about from the Kemetic standpoint here.

Now, if you find that the Kemetic gods are the ones that feel right for you, then to you they become the true gods. As for how to serve them - pray. Speak to them and they will speak to you. Perhaps not in direct words, but in the things around you. Learn more about them through scholarly work (the internet and Llewellyn published books are not the best sources; I have learned this the hard way), speaking to their children here on the forums, and speaking them yourself. Make offerings. Do things that are meaningful between yourself and them (Bast wants me to start a mint garden for her, for example; Hethert wants me to take better care of my appearance; Wesir wants me to eat celery. I don't understand that last one, for the record. He just said to.)

There is no holy book as there is in the Abrahamic faiths. Many Kemetics left behind wisdom literature that we study for inspiration, but in my view, The Catcher in the Rye, Ecclesiastes, or Doctor Who can contain just as much wisdom as The 42 Negative Confessions.

TL;DR wall of text.

Again, welcome to the forums. I hope we can be of service.
Khenne | they/them
Child of Ptah-Sokar and Wepwawet
Kemetic Humanism / New England Kemetic Organizing

Offline Khesretitui

• Shemsu
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2011, 09:45:48 pm »
Set makes very Metal cookies. ;)

Offline Arienihethert

• Tawy Bak
  • W'ab (priest)
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2011, 07:13:54 am »
Quote from: Khesretitui
Set makes very Metal cookies. ;)

With those little sugary ball bearing things? ;)

I don't belong to Set and haven't interacted much with him, but I like him. He's a guy who gets the job done, whatever it is.
Look out the window. And doesn't this remind you of when you were in the boat, and then later that night you were lying looking up at the ceiling, and the water in your head was not dissimilar from the landscape, and you think to yourself Why is it that the landscape is moving but the boat is still?

Offline Khesretitui

• Shemsu
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2011, 10:45:55 am »
Man, I miss those sugar BBs. They don't sell them around here anymore, but yes, that's exactly what kind of cookies he would make.

« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2011, 02:58:11 pm »
Quote from: Awetitu

A healthy fascination with that which scares us or puzzles us is a good thing. Set is neither good nor bad, chaotic nor ordered. Set is, at least in my experience, that which He is needed to be when He is needed to be it. If that means a huge red [censored]-kicker, then he's a huge red [censored]-kicker. If that means a sly spy, then he's a sly spy. He is not good or evil, He does what needs to be done, no matter how distasteful it may seem, and in some cases, no matter how benign.

Plus, yeah, the cookies are REALLY good.
I feel the same way about Set.  To me the Gods aren't good or evil, they just are.  
Jessica [aka Whitewolf]

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 3504
  • stats Total Posts: 304354
  • stats Total Topics: 21158
  • stats Total Categories: 9
  • stats Total Boards: 126
  • stats Most Online: 955
SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal