Register
collapse collapse

* Donation Status

100%+   Current donation status as of January 15, 2021 = $2,500 of $2,500 (100%)   Donate!

Plus Projected Rollover of $1,462.56!!!

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 38
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 2
  • Dot Users Online:

Author Topic: "Negative" aspects of the Netjer  (Read 15446 times)

Re: "Negative" aspects of the Netjer
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2010, 01:52:16 pm »
Thank you Khesretitui! In my experience, I do not find Iset to be a "loving mother goddess" as she is often depicted in Neo-Paganism and some "Isis" groups....she has been *kicking* my arse! She has very "dark" aspects and can be very *serious*, not to mention intimidating. And as Udjit aslo talks with me, I understand completely the concept of having your head hurt by a Name! Her age and primordial energy sometimes makes my teeth ache....

What do you mean binaries?
Timu

Sat Aset, meryt Wepwawet her Renenutet

Offline Khesretitui

• Shemsu
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2010, 01:56:35 pm »
A binary is something that is either one thing or the other. Black and white, good and bad, on or off, etc.

So when I say I can't easily apply binaries to Set, it means he is not easily classified or pigeonholed as "good" or "evil" or whatever you please. He's more shades of gray than black or white, if that makes sense.
Khesretitui
"My Fathers Dispel Evil"

Sat Set her Ra-Heruakhety
Meryt Heru-wer her Yinepu-Wepwawet

« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2010, 02:00:44 pm »
Ohhh ok, like polarity....same sort of thing then.

Totally makes sense to me, I've been a "gray" sort of person all my life...

As a daugher(? does Sat mean daugther or child, I thought it meant daughter so please excuse if incorrect)  of Set, can you extrapolate on the Set animal? Or is that covered elsewhere here?
Timu

Offline Khesretitui

• Shemsu
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2010, 02:09:15 pm »
Yes, I'm a daughter of Set. Sat means daughter, Sa means son. The -t suffix is a feminizing element in the language, if I recall correctly.

The Set-animal is interesting. I have the good fortune to maintain a relationship with a netjeri (minor spirit) who chooses to take the form of a Set-animal. He is particularly instinctive and primitive in nature.

As I recall, the question of the Set-animal has been put to Set before, and he has indicated that it is not, and never was, a real animal. It's a fantasy beast. Perhaps someone else recalls that incident better than I do, though.
Khesretitui
"My Fathers Dispel Evil"

Sat Set her Ra-Heruakhety
Meryt Heru-wer her Yinepu-Wepwawet

« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2010, 02:18:04 pm »
Ah yes, I knew the t was feminine, I coulda answered my own question, doy....

Hmmm interesting. I've also heard it postulated that a few of the animals seen in egyptian art, but unknown in reality could possibly be extinct animals...
Timu

Offline Devo

• Remetj
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2010, 02:28:18 pm »
According to Te Velde, they don't really know what the Set beast is. Most think it's a fantasy animal- a bunch of animals all put together. So who knows. Te Velde mentions a couple other animal forms that Setekh takes, including a type of griffin.

As to the original question, I've found that the gods have a variety of personalities- they each act differently, and as always, might act differently to different people. I don't necessarily say this is due to their vastness (though to say they aren't vast would be wrong) but just like anyone- we act slightly different to other people.

It's like saying both Jim and Pete know Johnny. Jim and Johnny are great friends, Pete can't stand Johnny. We all perceive eachother differently. So I guess I just kind of look at it from that perspective when people view a god differently.

I hope that I remotely understood the question.
-Devo
dA | FB | Tumblr | WP

« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2010, 02:46:15 pm »
Good analogy Devo, I hadn't thought of it that way actually...
Timu

« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2010, 03:25:06 pm »

Tahai:
Do They have intrinsic personality traits? I believe so. Can I tell you what they are? Nope.
Netjer is vast beyond imagining. The pieces of Itself we are able to comprehend (Names) are vast to the very outer limits of our imagining. How can we, as humans, possibly comprehend the intrinsic personalities of such beings?

All any one of us can tell you is how we percieve Them, and how They have been percieved by others historically. From this we must make our best guesses about Their personalities.

Personal gnosis is an important part of the Kemetic Orthodox faith...

Ara:

Thank you Tahai, that hit upon a thought of mine on this subject. That is, that they may well have personal attributes, that are/can be "set" as it were, but that they may reveal basically what they wish to reveal, to whom they wish..

I wonder if the ancients working with them felt the same...
Timu

« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2010, 04:44:00 pm »
I have to agree with you entirely, Devo.

There are always opposites to personalities, introvert and extrovert, aggressive and passive, logical and creative.  I don't see negatives in people, I just see their personality.  People say my boyfriend is aggressive but he just stands up for himself.

Even though I have not gone through RPD I do have a connection with both Sekhmet and Thoth.  Sekhmet is tough, She doesn't like to be fooled around, whereas I see Thoth as being more relaxed.  Even though he is a wise Gentleman I see Him as being humourous too, it takes a charisma and knowledge creates good jokes!
I can't think of a catchy quote or phrase ... so ... yeah ...

Offline NiankhSekhmet

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2010, 09:43:39 pm »
Quote from: Rennie1989
I have to agree with you entirely, Devo.

Even though I have not gone through RPD I do have a connection with both Sekhmet and Thoth.  Sekhmet is tough, She doesn't like to be fooled around, whereas I see Thoth as being more relaxed.  Even though he is a wise Gentleman I see Him as being humourous too, it takes a charisma and knowledge creates good jokes!

Oh I don't know. I think Sekhmet has quite a sense of humour, even if it is a little wry at times. Some of the things She says are quite amusing in their irony. ;-)

Djehuty on the other hand, His sense of humour I have not borne witness to yet - but I suspect it to maybe be a bit dry.

Senebty!
NiankhSekhmet
Sat Sekhmet-Mut/HetHert
Meryt-Amun (Beloved of Amun)
Heri Seshta Sekhmet-Mut / HetHert

« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2010, 10:18:06 pm »
Quote from: NiankhSekhmet

Djehuty on the other hand, His sense of humour I have not borne witness to yet - but I suspect it to maybe be a bit dry.

Just a little bit. ;)
Daughter of Taweret and Djehuty
Beloved of Amun

We must be the change we wish to see in the world. -Gandhi

Offline Mesetibes

• W'ab (priest)
« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2010, 10:26:59 pm »
Quote from: NiankhSekhmet

Hotep KI Niankh!

There's a reason I don't ask him for a respite in schedule anymore.

Last time I asked him for a bit of ease in my schedule, He did so by giving me a massive back spasm that had me on the floor because that was the only way I was comfortable.

I missed not only my religions class, but I also missed my ancient greek culture class, my dance class, an 8 hour shift AND my tattoo appointment.

His humour can be dry indeed. :-P

Senebty!
~Maret
« Last Edit: January 05, 2010, 10:27:38 pm by Maretemheqat »
Rev. Mesetibes
Sat Heqat, meryt Djehuti her Ptah her Heru-wer
Fedw Diviner
2011 Wep Ronpet Frog Princess/
W'abet Nekhen Sha'a Sha'at Imef

Offline Tahai

• Shemsu
« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2010, 10:38:49 pm »
I can see Djehuty with a dry sense of humor! I think Set has a wicked dry humor as well as a raunchy one.  Sekhmet-Hethert seems to always be smiling or laughing, IME.  I'm not sure yet if She's got some joke I'm not privy to, or if She's just thrilled with life.
TahaiBast
Daughter of Bast.  Beloved of Sobek-Ra, Djehuty, and Sekhmet-Hethert.

Self-care Sekhmet and Sobek-Ra Keeper

Feed the Ka Association (FKA)

Offline NiankhSekhmet

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2010, 12:09:17 am »
There was one time when Sekhmet appeared in Saq at the healing ceremony and She and I had an exchange and we just LAUGHED...I think it was at Nakht's expense. In fact, I am pretty sure it was. For whatever reason, Sekhmet seems to get a real kick out of playing psych with the Set kids!  I'm not quite sure why that is. Maybe it's just because She can! ;)

NiankhSekhmet
Sat Sekhmet-Mut/HetHert
Meryt-Amun (Beloved of Amun)
Heri Seshta Sekhmet-Mut / HetHert

« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2010, 12:52:52 am »
My Mother Tefnut can seem distant and uninterested at times, because She's a very cosmic-scale, big-picture kind of Name. She's actually very caring and intense, but being Her child, it's best to remember She's not always quite "there" when it comes to the human definition of "there" in a spesific space and time :P She also keeps forgetting people can be pretty fragile and clueless. It's not that She is very demanding or expects more than people can manage (though at times it might seem that way), She just tends to forget we're not quite as strong and capable as, say, Her Netjeri :D

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 3335
  • stats Total Posts: 300102
  • stats Total Topics: 20626
  • stats Total Categories: 8
  • stats Total Boards: 119
  • stats Most Online: 955
anything