collapse collapse

* Donation Status

8%
Current donation status as of October 30, 2021 = $211.74 of $2,500 or 8%
Donate!

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 33
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 3
  • Dot Users Online:

Author Topic: Heka/Magic  (Read 41720 times)

Heka/Magic
« on: January 10, 2010, 05:42:26 pm »
Ok I think I am getting the lay of the land here, so I will phrase succinctly to avoid confusions....or try to...

On the non-state side of HON, do you guys practice heka? Or have a relationship with Heka?
Timu

Sat Aset, meryt Wepwawet her Renenutet

Offline Devo

• Remetj
Re: Heka/Magic
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2010, 05:56:28 pm »
For myself, not overly. I have no relationship with Heka, and actually know very little about Heka (the god). As for practicing heka itself, I try to practice in what I say and do, but don't actively perform rituals or anything of that sort. I never really saw the need, because no form of "magic" has ever really done much for me in the end (save for protective/healing magics).

So yeah... that's about the best I can answer. I'm trying to learn more about it, so that perhaps I could begin to work with heka better.
-Devo
dA | FB | Tumblr | WP

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2010, 06:36:18 pm »
The closest I have ever really got to heka was performing oracle cards.  It really worked well for me, thus giving me confidence for when I try out heka.

Also, I am student nurse so to benefit my training I would love to learn heka when it comes to healing.  Of course, my training only allows me to use what I have been taught at the institution and I am not allowed to use my religious beliefs.  I can understand this though, but if I do learn heka for healing I don't know when, or if, I would ever use it because my training would completely take over.
I can't think of a catchy quote or phrase ... so ... yeah ...

Offline Awetitu

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2010, 06:46:57 pm »
Quote from: Ara
On the non-state side of HON, do you guys practice heka? Or have a relationship with Heka?

I practice heka in my everyday life and try to be succinct and clear and careful what I ask and use it for. Because stating anything, be it positive or negative, can be considered heka, it is very important that we be clear what we are asking for and why we are asking for it.  As for the more "magical" side of it involving talismans and spells, that's not my bailiwick.

I do not have a relationship with Heka but I am looking into building one with Him.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Awetitu »
Awetitu - aka Awi
Sa Sobek her Set, mery Heru-wer her Sekhmet-Hethert

Offline Tahai

• Shemsu
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2010, 06:48:07 pm »
Em hotep, Ara.

I practice some types of heka in my life, but I am not proficient at it.  Heka magic is the power of words and intent, so each time I do Senut, or make offerings to the gods, or offer to the Akhu, I am doing heka.  Each time I state something positively or negatively, with intent and conviction, I am doing heka.  Heka is part of our everyday lives.

I'm guessing, when you refer to heka, that you mean the more 'magical' parts of it, like spells and talismans?  If so, I have used number, color, and stone heka in my jewelry, making amuletics and talismans.  I intend to paint some words on my rabbitry as heka to promote prosperity, fertility, health, and life.

I have hopes of someday being accepted as a Sa apprentice, though that day will be far int the future, due to the number of other people ahead of me in line.

Senebty (a heka wishing you good health),

Tahai

TahaiBast
Daughter of Bast.  Beloved of Sobek-Ra, Djehuty, and Sekhmet-Hethert.

Self-care Sekhmet and Sobek-Ra Keeper

Feed the Ka Association (FKA)

Offline Baket

• Divined Remetj
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2010, 06:49:51 pm »
Hotep Ara!
Any of us can practice heka in our personal worship. You have the Prayerbook, right? Or have read some of Hemet's works? The prayers and other things in there would be considered heka.
In our faith, heka is more of state of mind than a "wave your wand" type magical act, as anything we do or say or write can be heka, as long as there is intention (hopefully positive) behind it. Hemet teaches us prayers and rituals and such to do, but in the absence of that there's no need to do something elaborate.
I hope this helps answer your question, and I invite others to chime in if I have stated things incorrectly.
Oh the other part of your question ... I don't have a relationship with Heka but I think that might be interesting to pursue. Any Name can perform heka, but some are considered "greater" or more powerful at it, like Aset for instance.
Devotee of the Divine Felines and my darling Loki
http://www.zazzle.com/cattywompus

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2010, 08:03:07 am »
Tahai:
Heka magic is the power of words and intent

Ara:
From what I am beginning to understand, heka is not just the action of recitation, though that is usually an important aspect of it.
Timu

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2010, 08:15:09 am »

Baketsekhmet:
The prayers and other things in there would be considered heka.
In our faith, heka is more of state of mind than a "wave your wand" type magical act, as anything we do or say or write can be heka, as long as there is intention (hopefully positive) behind it. Hemet teaches us prayers and rituals and such to do, but in the absence of that there's no need to do something elaborate.

Ara:
Right, I wasn't referring to stage magic. What I'm trying to feel out is this, if heka, and magic, was such a crucial and vital part of the Ancient Egpytians' way of life (and everything indicates it was)what is the practice of some of the modern adherents of Kemetic ways? To me it seems that while tied up with the religion, it was also as seen as a complete "way of life", and magic practice was an integral part of life for them, though I feel and have read that this extended beyond just being careful of your words. By your statement I'm taking it to mean that in HON, heka is more a "state of mind" then a practice, as it was historically?
Timu

Offline Sedjemes

• Semer-Wati
  • Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2010, 09:05:40 am »
Hotep Ara

A clear distinction must be drawn, I think, to understand what is meant when saying that the ancients used magic as a crucial and vital part of their lives. If that is interpreted to mean they spent a lot of time concocting and performing "magical spells" before taking any step, such was not the case. Yes they wore amulets, as children and as adults (then again so do we modern folk wear Stars of David, Crosses and Crucifixes, Fatima's Hand, and other "charms" of good luck and protection. Yes they prayed to gods for help and forgiveness and protection and in pleading, then again so do modern folk.

In _Religion in ANcient Egypt_ edited by Shafer, Baines, Lesko and Silverman, in the chapter on Society, Morality and Religious Practice written by JOhn Baines, he says the following about magic: " People mostly turned to [magic] when normal agencies were ineffective, as in treating many illnesses or relieving the effects of snakebite....most people probably used magical techniques in some way or other every day--by wearing amulets, for exdample." (nb see Sedjemes' comment above).

Many magical texts stand on stelae or statues, for example King Ramesses III and Late Period nobles, according to Baines again, covered statues of themselves in such texts, and placed these statues in public places. Visitors would pour libations over the statues, producing infusions that constituted magical remedies. (pg 169).  Even the story of Aset and the Name of Ra was considered in fact part of a spell against snakebite, not just a religious myth (and maybe not even a myth at all).

Basically, we do what we can do as much as we can do. Then we may use a specific kind of heka, be it something as sweetly simple as placing money before our gods and asking them to multiply that within a specified period, or breaking a red pot as part of an execration text at new year, to help with the pragmatic work we are already doing.

Sometimes we may use a form of divination to help direct us to a solution, or to help us figure out what if anything we might be missing in a situation.

But basically, at heart, we are still a pragmatic people. Just as, in my personal opinion, were the ancients for that matter. They did all the things of everyday life--got up, got dressed, went hunting or brick-or-pottery making, baking bread, visited the local village shrine or chapel--if they were sick they sought out the nearest Sekhmet priest or person responsible for dealing with illness (and heka may have been involved in that). If they had a deceased family member they made arrangements for the burial (and heka in the form of magical texts, if they could afford a scribe at least, or at least perhaps images and funerary amulets, may have been involved in that).

Beyond that, we also do think of heka as the power of our speech both written and spoken--because speech itself is a state of mind. Heka (small h) is defined after all as authoritative utterance. That's a very powerful thing all by itself.

Khenmetaset ("Aset Gladdens")
Sedjemes ("She listens")
Daughter of Aset-Serqet, Meryt Ra her Sekhmet
Heri-Sesheta Aset-Serqet

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2010, 11:18:06 am »
Sedjemes:
that is interpreted to mean they spent a lot of time concocting and performing "magical spells" before taking any step, such was not the case.

Ara:
Welll, not to say THAT really, but that it was integral to them, in all aspects. The ties between magic, religion and healing seem to have been very tight and important to them. But yes, the examples you used would be appropriate for "everyday use" examples, divination, amulets, spoken spells. And Honestly, I don't see why or how the use of magic would be considered "unpragmatic", as is implied...(?)

For example, in the examples you gave:
They did all the things of everyday life--got up, got dressed, went hunting or brick-or-pottery making, baking bread

Could not have magic been used "casually" in ALL these situations? They get dressed; could not a spell for a safe and easy day been said here, amulets put in/on clothing? They went hunting; could not have a ritual been done to ensure a succesful hunt, or a spell for many fish, or to keep your herds (and you) safe, healthy and fat? A ritual done on your fields to ensure a big harvest and no loss of crops? Brick making; (depending on usage, here we'll say for your own house) you could have included certain plant material as a safety spell, incensed the bricks for blessing and purity, ritually blessed the bricks to house a prosperous family, etc etc)

See what I'm saying?
Timu

Offline Tahai

• Shemsu
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2010, 11:40:33 am »
Em hotep, Ara.

I am not a historical scholar at all, preferring to focus on how the Names interact with us now.  Having said that, I use small hekas all day long as part of my normal living, so it seems reasonable to me that the AEs would have as well.

To address heka as a recitation, you are correct.  'Speaking' the words is important, but without Intent, the sounds being made are meaningless.  

I set off 'speaking' because I believe all forms of speech would work, including a person using sign language.

Senebty,

Tahai
TahaiBast
Daughter of Bast.  Beloved of Sobek-Ra, Djehuty, and Sekhmet-Hethert.

Self-care Sekhmet and Sobek-Ra Keeper

Feed the Ka Association (FKA)

Offline ubenet

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2010, 01:41:05 pm »
For example, in the examples you gave:
They did all the things of everyday life--got up, got dressed, went hunting or brick-or-pottery making, baking bread

Could not have magic been used "casually" in ALL these situations? They get dressed; could not a spell for a safe and easy day been said here, amulets put in/on clothing? They went hunting; could not have a ritual been done to ensure a succesful hunt, or a spell for many fish, or to keep your herds (and you) safe, healthy and fat? A ritual done on your fields to ensure a big harvest and no loss of crops? Brick making; (depending on usage, here we'll say for your own house) you could have included certain plant material as a safety spell, incensed the bricks for blessing and purity, ritually blessed the bricks to house a prosperous family, etc etc)

See what I'm saying?

this is how i see, and use, heka in my life.  i've worked in emergency medicine for almost ten years now, and i have always prayed while working - silently, obviously, but i don't think that makes a difference.  when i learned to draw blood, i'd ask Sekhmet to help me while i prepared the patient.  when i eat something delicious, i offer to share it with the gods.  zat gave me a little Wepwawet statue to sit on the dashboard of my car, and whenever i'm headed somewhere new or afraid i'm going to be late, i ask Him for help - and i print out directions, too.

sometimes i do things that require more preparation, and that's usually at the direction of a specific god.  i don't have any formal training, but when my Parents tell me i need to put energy into candy for one friend to give her strength, or put together a little beaded bag of herbs and stones for another friend to protect her, i'm hardly going to say no to Them ;)
ubenetsenu - "two appear shining"
sat Sekhmet-Mut her Khonsu
meryt Wesir her Serqet-Aset

tarot and heka by request

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2010, 01:51:09 pm »
I guess to be as absolutely descriptive as possible, it's these little *physical aspects* of heka, that I was inquiring about. Thank you Ubenetsenu, those are exactly the types of things I was referring to.
Timu

Offline Baket

• Divined Remetj
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2010, 02:03:15 pm »

Right, I wasn't referring to stage magic. What I'm trying to feel out is this, if heka, and magic, was such a crucial and vital part of the Ancient Egpytians' way of life (and everything indicates it was)what is the practice of some of the modern adherents of Kemetic ways? To me it seems that while tied up with the religion, it was also as seen as a complete "way of life", and magic practice was an integral part of life for them, though I feel and have read that this extended beyond just being careful of your words. By your statement I'm taking it to mean that in HON, heka is more a "state of mind" then a practice, as it was historically?

I hope the other posts have helped answer that, and I apologize for the confusion. I meant intent versus "stage magic," like what I and others have said about heka being anything from simple acts/words to elaborate rituals.
From the answers and other things you've read, you can probably start to tell that the members here use heka in our everyday lives and personal worship to varying degrees. Whether we do it more or less than the ancients did probably depends on the individual. For most of us, this faith is different from what we were brought up in so I would hazard a guess that many of us haven't made it a habit and integral part of life like the ancients would have.
I think I chose the words "state of mind," because we are still trying to learn it and understand it and get into the right frame of mind to be better at it.
Devotee of the Divine Felines and my darling Loki
http://www.zazzle.com/cattywompus

« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2010, 02:10:37 pm »
Baketsekhmet:
For most of us, this faith is different from what we were brought up in so I would hazard a guess that many of us haven't made it a habit and integral part of life like the ancients would have.
I think I chose the words "state of mind," because we are still trying to learn it and understand it and get into the right frame of mind to be better at it.

Ara:
That makes sense....
Timu

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 3496
  • stats Total Posts: 304032
  • stats Total Topics: 21100
  • stats Total Categories: 9
  • stats Total Boards: 124
  • stats Most Online: 955
SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal