collapse collapse

* Donation Status

8%
Current donation status as of October 30, 2021 = $211.74 of $2,500 or 8%
Donate!

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 37
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 3
  • Dot Users Online:

Author Topic: Heka/Magic  (Read 41719 times)

Re: Heka/Magic
« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2010, 08:31:23 am »
Niankh:
Unfortunately, there are always those who want bigger, faster and more, and they never seem to understand the laws of Power or Heka and are further unwilling to take the discipline to learn it. It's kind of like any other profession. There is simple first aid and folk medicine, and then there's surgery.

If anyone doesn't have that in the first place, then they most definitely should not be doing serious heka / magic(k) in the first place.

Ara:
Could you elaborate on these statements for me? Is this just your general personal observance or is there a more pointed meaning here?
Timu

Sat Aset, meryt Wepwawet her Renenutet

Offline NiankhSekhmet

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #31 on: January 12, 2010, 12:00:24 pm »
Em hotep Ara:

By now I would think that when I communicate with people there really are no hidden meanings in what I say. I am extremely direct. I say what I mean, I mean what I say. There are no deep hidden meanings, double or triple entandres to what I a talking about. Some people find such stark directness unsettling. I do apologise to them for the discomfiture but I don't forsee it changing anytime soon. ;)

But since you asked for clarification, and in deference to you, I will happily oblige.  If you do not have common sense, then you should not be doing magic. Period.  If, by the off chance someone (not necssarily you) does not have the common sense that blood magic, for example is not required necessarily for certain types of work,  or has the erroneous notion that more is always better in terms of "Power" or "Sekhem" behind a spell, then they need to do themselves a favour and put down spell book, put away the mystical poly pretties and the pretense if they cannot be trusted to be able to guage the intensity and scope of the Work.

In all honesty, sometimes a magician does not need to do a damned thing and a situation will rectify itself. Sometimes, however, a little more intense bit of persuasion is required. It is therefore the responsibility of the person who is doing such work to know when and where to do either - or when to stay your hand entirely.  

One of the things I learned early on in magic is that you need to choose your words with care and precision. I confess, I do not always do that, and that it is a constant and conscious process. In my view it has to be. In a religion like ours, words are sacred. There is a very strong reason for this.  Heka begins in the mind, it takes form in the air in the form of speech or in solid form as written words.  Far too often in our society people do not understand that everything we think, say or do has reprocussions. That all ties together. We need to learn to worry about the power of that sort of heka first before we start to throw around magic on a larger scale.  Those that don't come to such realisations do end up getting the Cosmic Clue By Four or the Anvil of God dropped on their heads. ;)

Senebty!
« Last Edit: January 12, 2010, 12:27:59 pm by NiankhSekhmet »
NiankhSekhmet
Sat Sekhmet-Mut/HetHert
Meryt-Amun (Beloved of Amun)
Heri Seshta Sekhmet-Mut / HetHert

« Reply #32 on: January 12, 2010, 12:28:11 pm »
Ok thanks. Well, I wasn't unclear as to your meaning, more your direction. Really what I was trying to determine was if, because I opened this thread, you were implying that I hadn't a clue about magic/heka, and were trying to shy me away from either finding out more about it, or practicing it-because of any possible ignorance of the subject or consequences- or just stating general warnings ....to be perfectly direct and clear....(*trying really hard not to offend here*)

Still not %100 about that point really, but I *think* you were just trying to stress the general point, and at least I have your personal stance on heka, and I was looking for personal experiences and opinions on it within HON, so, mission accomplished!   ;  )
Timu

Offline NiankhSekhmet

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #33 on: January 12, 2010, 06:43:58 pm »
Em hotep Ara:

Well, I think you will be hard pressed to get an "Official Stance" of Kemetic Orthodoxy" on the subject because so much of we do is between us and our Gods and a part of our own personal practices.  We all of us approach it in a different manner. My opinions are mine and are by no means official. However, when you observe X number of people blowing themselves up with the metaphysical equivalent of C4, then you sort of hope that others will also have observed as to what went wrong and why.

I will say that there are many here within the Hosue who do "serious type of heka" for whatever reason - be it medical, magical,  whatever. There are many people here who are good, strong, accomplished magicians in their own right and I respect and acknowledge them as such. Some of them are in this thread - some of them have been tactfully silent on the matter.  Which in either case is quite understandable, truth be told. ;)

Even within the structure of Kemetic Orthodoxy, I can say that we do, like our akhu before us, enjoy quite a bit of autonomy.  That means if you are looking for a bunch of "thou shalt nots", and "you musts" on every aspect of your life, including those that deal with heka, you are not going to find them here. You just aren't. If people need that much structure to the Nth degree, then I ask them, where do YOU come in? Where is YOUR responsibility? I honestly do not believe that Netjer is here to micromanage every aspect of our lives.  Heka is what people are given to protect themselves and we each definitely do bear some complicity in that.

Senebty!
« Last Edit: January 12, 2010, 06:49:37 pm by NiankhSekhmet »
NiankhSekhmet
Sat Sekhmet-Mut/HetHert
Meryt-Amun (Beloved of Amun)
Heri Seshta Sekhmet-Mut / HetHert

Offline Henkuyinepu

• Divined Remetj
« Reply #34 on: January 12, 2010, 10:40:39 pm »
Em hotep Ara!

I’ll preface this by saying that this is not directed at anyone in particular, and is my own personal opinion, not the stance of the House.
There are people trained for specific things, here in the House, and in the world outside of it.  I’m sure you wouldn’t want someone who wasn’t a doctor doing surgery on you unless it was an absolute emergency, right?  Or someone to summon demons, spirits, etc. (should you be so inclined to deal in such matters) for you that just borrowed a book from the local library and has no clue what they’re doing, right?  I’m sure you get the point.   The information and training are out there if you look for it and are willing to put in the time and energy it takes to learn.

Some are also just not interested in taking the time to study or learn, but would just rather jump into the water and not worry about what could be in there lurking and hungry.  Unfortunately, there are far too many people in the world who are all, “Me, me, me! Now, now, now!”  Some people are just not meant to do certain things, and some people should not be allowed to do certain things.

Senebty!
Henkuyinepu
Sa Yinepu-Wepwawet
Mery Bast, Serqet-Aset her Sekhmet-Hethert
http://www.livejournal.com/users/henkuyinepu

"Not only are there no happy endings, there aren't even any endings." - Bast (in American Gods - Neil Gaiman)

« Reply #35 on: January 13, 2010, 07:58:17 am »
Niankh:

We all of us approach it in a different manner. My opinions are mine and are by no means official

Ara:
Well, I wasn't expecting an official HON  stance, as I've learned that there often isn't one on the subject I've brought up. More looking for personal opinions/practices on/with heka.

Niankh:
That means if you are looking for a bunch of "thou shalt nots", and "you musts" on every aspect of your life

Ara:
Haa! (This would be hilarious if you knew me personally....) Sooo not the case. Not sure how I came off that way. My bad I guess....I was trying to be *clear* that I was looking to discuss personal opinions/practices.   :  /
Timu

« Reply #36 on: January 13, 2010, 08:04:35 am »
So, at this point in the conversation I have gotten some feedback, mostly of the "idiots shouldn't practice magic" sort.
:  o

Does anyone have anything else to add about the use of heka in their lives?
Timu

Offline Mesetibes

• W'ab (priest)
« Reply #37 on: January 13, 2010, 09:21:21 am »
Em Hotep Ara,

I've seen active Heka at work twice now; one in the form of prayers for a swift recovery for a friend who was in hospital, the other for a bit of financial ease. Both were specific, but both were also left a little open to let the energy be able to flow.

I have a bit of a scientific mind, so I see heka as being an energy of sorts, that will take the path of least resistance when it's not given direction. Even once a bit of direction has been given, the energy should take the path of least resistance.

The thing I have noticed about Heka is that it can be done on an individual basis, and it can be done as a group. The group form is usually done through prayer, but there are other ways as well.

I don't use Heka myself all that often, only if I need a bit of an extra boost in a given situation. Case in point, asking for a little extra cash to ease some of my finances. In conjunction with asking, I also work an extra shift on a stat holiday. One could then surmise that the Way was Opened for me to recieve that extra shift on that specific day.

My personal experience had been that the Names and Netker itself will not simply hand out what you ask for. So long as you show them a willingness to work for what you want, they're more apt to open things to you that you can take advantage of.

As for Heka the God, I haven't approached him or worked with him before, so I cannot give you any experience on that.

Senebty!
~Maret
« Last Edit: January 13, 2010, 09:39:32 am by Maretemheqat »
Rev. Mesetibes
Sat Heqat, meryt Djehuti her Ptah her Heru-wer
Fedw Diviner
2011 Wep Ronpet Frog Princess/
W'abet Nekhen Sha'a Sha'at Imef

« Reply #38 on: January 13, 2010, 09:50:23 am »
Quote from: Maretemheqat
Em Hotep Ara,

I've seen active Heka at work twice now; one in the form of prayers for a swift recovery for a friend who was in hospital, the other for a bit of financial ease. Both were specific, but both were also left a little open to let the energy be able to flow.

I have a bit of a scientific mind, so I see heka as being an energy of sorts, that will take the path of least resistance when it's not given direction. Even once a bit of direction has been given, the energy should take the path of least resistance.

Ara:
Meeeee too! In fact that might probably be the most similar description to heka and magic, to my own thoughts, as I have ever heard...

The thing I have noticed about Heka is that it can be done on an individual basis, and it can be done as a group. The group form is usually done through prayer, but there are other ways as well.

I don't use Heka myself all that often, only if I need a bit of an extra boost in a given situation. Case in point, asking for a little extra cash to ease some of my finances. In conjunction with asking, I also work an extra shift on a stat holiday. One could then surmise that the Way was Opened for me to recieve that extra shift on that specific day.

My personal experience had been that the Names and Netker itself will not simply hand out what you ask for. So long as you show them a willingness to work for what you want, they're more apt to open things to you that you can take advantage of.

Ara:
Don't I know it.....

As for Heka the God, I haven't approached him or worked with him before, so I cannot give you any experience on that.

Senebty!
~Maret

I'm still getting the hang of/messing around with this quote thing, so if this is screwy, I apologize...

Thank you Maret, this is just the kind of reply I was hoping to see!   :  )
Timu

« Reply #39 on: January 13, 2010, 09:50:50 am »
Nope, looks good...
Timu

Offline Enbibibast

• Shemsu
« Reply #40 on: January 13, 2010, 10:04:07 am »

My personal experience had been that the Names and Netjer itself will not simply hand out what you ask for. So long as you show them a willingness to work for what you want, they're more apt to open things to you that you can take advantage of.

This X a million has been my experience when working heka/magic. When I was trying to use it as a quick fix, my time and energy was wasted because I expected something for nothing. When I changed my way of thinking, all of the sudden, things started working... fancy that. ;)

I have no experience with the God Heka either, but, I'd like to get to know Him.

vv Edited for ya. ;)vv
« Last Edit: January 13, 2010, 01:18:01 pm by Enbibibast »
Enbibibast | Bibi
Daughter of Bast
Beloved of | Wepwawet-Yinepu | Djehuty | Sekhmet-Hethert | Heru-wer |
Tumblr

Offline Mesetibes

• W'ab (priest)
« Reply #41 on: January 13, 2010, 10:06:39 am »
And I really should remind myself to not post anything until I can actually open my EYES to post. *sighs*

That should be Netjer.

~Maret
(Who is still apparently trying to wake up)
Rev. Mesetibes
Sat Heqat, meryt Djehuti her Ptah her Heru-wer
Fedw Diviner
2011 Wep Ronpet Frog Princess/
W'abet Nekhen Sha'a Sha'at Imef

« Reply #42 on: January 13, 2010, 10:08:18 am »
Hey, maybe your alpha state doesn't require accurate spelling, but it for darn sure is a good conversationalist! haaa...
Timu

Offline Maainakhtsen

« Reply #43 on: January 13, 2010, 12:36:55 pm »
Quote from: Ara
So, at this point in the conversation I have gotten some feedback, mostly of the "idiots shouldn't practice magic" sort.
:  o

Does anyone have anything else to add about the use of heka in their lives?

Hotep Ara,

Definitely, and for my part, I would say that:

Quote from: Ma'ai
Only idiot's don't practice heka.

What I mean by that is that the only idiots, imo are people who don't accept responsibility for how much impact their every thought and word has on themselves and the world around them.  It's not a joke or a toy for when you're alone in your bedroom, nor is it only for the "initiated". It's just flat out how people work.

In all the talk about ritual forms, it is easy to lose sight of this:

Quote from: kemet.org

"Magical Speech" Heka is an abstract Name, embodying the concept that there is power in the spoken word - power which can be used for good or ill. While sometimes Heka is simply translated into English as "magic," Heka is more than a "magic word" or a "spell" - He is a lasting reminder of the responsibility to keep one's speech in accordance with Ma'at. Anyone who has spoken an unkind word can attest to the power speech has to change our lives; and Heka as embodied in the Ren, or name, is a personal force in Kemetic culture - to speak of a thing is to cause it to exist.
http://www.kemet.org/glossary/heka.html

We program our own actions. Usually, unfortunately, without realizing it. Our bodies take orders from our minds, long after we've forgotten what we told them to do. Even if we're not aware of what we're telling them.

We teach others, whether it is consciously or subconsciously, how to treat us.

The world we perceive is the one we live in. All of this, is to be put under the authority of our own will. Claiming that is nothing to be shy about or apologize for or to wait a second longer for.

Choose to see the best in a situation.
Choose what the design of your life will be and choose to be happy when it comes to you.
Choose to be with people you feel good with.
Choose to feel good, even when others don't or more importantly, when they think that you shouldn't.

We all have that much power and more. We exercise it when we make statements or have thoughts like, "I tend to get what I want" or "Things just never work out for me."

This thought and speech makes our lives what they are and determines the kind of energy and experiences we collect for ourselves and pass to others.

Only an idiot would deny themselves the choice.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Maainakhtsen »
Senebty,
Ma'ai

"A great pleasure in life is doing what others say you can't." -A Fortune Cookie

« Reply #44 on: January 13, 2010, 01:16:02 pm »
Awesome post Ma'ai thanks!

Is your name said mah-(gs)-aye?

gs=glottal stop
Timu

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 3496
  • stats Total Posts: 304032
  • stats Total Topics: 21100
  • stats Total Categories: 9