Register
collapse collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 27
  • Dot Hidden: 1
  • Dot Users: 7
  • Dot Users Online:

Author Topic: Let's talk about Ptah!  (Read 13724 times)

Offline Rev. Raheri

• W'ab (priest)
Let's talk about Ptah!
« on: January 11, 2010, 01:40:38 pm »
Em hotep everybody!

I wanted to start a thread to discuss a little bit on Ptah. He has been hanging around lately and has been giving me a better concept of Netjer being creator and one of many. SO my questions to you children and beloveds of Ptah is...what does He like? What kid of offering besides the handcrafted, making artisan stuff does He like? What can you tell me about His personality? I would love to hear about your expereinces with Ptah!

Senebty,
Raheri
Son of Wesir-Sokar | Heri-sesheta
Awakening in Amenti | revmatt@kemet.org

"O my Mother Nut, stretch Yourself over me,
hat I may be placed among the imperishable stars which are in You, and that I may never die."

Offline Baket

• Divined Remetj
Re: Let's talk about Ptah!
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2010, 02:15:49 pm »
I am so glad you started this thread; I had thought about asking myself. I have been wanting to get to know the husband of Sekhmet.
There have been a few times that I've envisioned or felt the Family nearby - Sekhmet and Nefertem are always clearer than Ptah is. He seems like a quiet, older gentlemen and makes me think of my stepfather (in personality, not craftmanship). Besides that, I'm drawing blanks.
Also I just had a "duh" moment which made me realize I should approach Him in regards to crafting. :)
Devotee of the Divine Felines and my darling Loki
http://www.zazzle.com/cattywompus

Offline Rev. Sehedjef

• Semer-Wati
  • W'ab (priest)
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2010, 02:33:58 pm »
Hotep Raheri!  *henu*

Not sure how much this will help you but I've found Ptah like pastrami sandwiches.  ^_^  As far as how He has presented Himself to me the few times I've spoken with Him, He's been more hands on...think of the construction boss that works with his/her people and uses it as an oportunity to teach rather than just sitting back and supervising.

In addition to handcrafted artisan type creation, you can also approach Him for help with creation through speach (as in teaching others or preparing documentation, etc) since that was the way He created in the myths (the God said let there be light and there was kinda thing).  ^_^  He's also good to approach if you need to plan something (i.e. you need to come up with the "blueprints" for what you want to do).

Senebty,
Imti
Rev. Sehedjef
(He shines with the beauty of the truth of his Mothers)
Sa Nebthet her Serqet
Mery Ptah her Tasenetnofret

Offline Mesetibes

• W'ab (priest)
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2010, 08:50:24 pm »
Hes' been very elusive to me Raheri, so I am afraid I can't be much help.

~Maret
Rev. Mesetibes
Sat Heqat, meryt Djehuti her Ptah her Heru-wer
Fedw Diviner
2011 Wep Ronpet Frog Princess/
W'abet Nekhen Sha'a Sha'at Imef

Offline Senedjem

• Shemsu
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2010, 04:26:04 am »
Hotep!

May I say from some of my personal gnosis regarding Ptah? I have found him to be a grandfatherly personality who is very wise and nurturing. I can see why he was seen as one of the creator names, which I believe he is.

Senebty

Offline Bestekeni

• Semer-Wati
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2010, 05:08:01 am »
I have nothing to contribute other than that this subject header has had me singing, "Let's talk about Ptah, baby / Let's talk about you and me..."
Fedw diviner for Bes
𓃀𓎂𓀭𓏏𓎡𓈖𓁐
Sat Bes her Hekatawy Alexandros (AUS)
Meryt Heru-wer her Amun-Ra her Bast

Offline Rev. Raheri

• W'ab (priest)
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2010, 09:50:45 am »
Quote from: Bestekeni
I have nothing to contribute other than that this subject header has had me singing, "Let's talk about Ptah, baby / Let's talk about you and me..."

That was the same thing I was thinking when I wrote it. Great minds Tek...

hat I may be placed among the imperishable stars which are in You, and that I may never die."

Offline Shemembast

• Divined Remetj
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2010, 01:17:58 am »
Glad to know I wasn't the only one. :grin:
"This is Shemem, everyone. She is My Warmth."
sat Bast; meryt Djehuty her Hethert-Sekhmet

Like the sun, You are always there, even when I cannot see You.

LJ

Offline HenutPtah

• Shemsu
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2010, 01:04:32 pm »
Hotep,

I saw this thread a couple days ago, and this whole time, I've been trying to figuring out what to say. I couldn't figure out why until this morning as I was musing over Dad again. He's kind of like the T.A.R.D.I.S. in that He comes in a small, somewhat plain package, but open Him up, and there's a whole new, sometimes unexpected world inside.

I tend to think of Ptah in layers. You could say it's like peeling an onion, but starting from the inside because as I discover each new layer, He seems to get bigger and encompass even more than He did before. When He speaks, it's never a simple yes/no answer. He might only say two words, but He's addressing at least four or five things at the same time, even if I only see the first layer of His words.

I realized this week that the hat Ptah wears determines how I see Him and the color I associate with him. When I think of Him as the Creator, I tend to see Him a lot like traditional depictions and he comes across green. I also associate this role with early morning. As the Master Craftsman, I see Him far more lifelike, much like Muti's "Khaneferptah," and busy at a worksite. In this guise, I associate him with a golden glow, and mid-to-late afternoon.

This is something I wrote about a year ago, that I still find true. I also wanted to add that as the Creator, I think I see Him this way because He creates in a very abstract way through speech. In this form, Dad tends to be very self contained, quiet, and HUGE. As the Master Craftsman, on the other hand, He's very dynamic, still thoughtful, but very approachable and personable.

When I'm actually in Ptah's presence, I feel completely enveloped and drawn in by Him. Nothing and no one else seems to exist sometimes. The one time I met Him in saq, He whispered so quietly that I don't think anyone else in the room could hear Him, but they could hear my whispered replies. To me though, He was as clear as if we had been speaking at a normal conversational volume. Sometimes I wonder how powerful His words would have been if He had been speaking at a normal volume. It's one of those mind-bendy questions to ponder.

Offerings are most frequently projects I'm working on. When I do something other than crafty type things, it tends to be bread and beer or bread and water. Granted, I tend to use bread that I've baked myself, so take from that what you will. I do think that He particularly appreciates foods that might be simple, but that are good and could be considered building blocks for life. Haiku seems to be appreciated and sometimes even amusing to Him because it is an excercise in concisely crafting words into a cohesive, small package while still saying as much as you can.

I could go on and on about Ptah (I know, big surprise from someone whose name means "Adore/Praise Ptah"), but it's really hard to put complex emotions and mental pictures into words sometimes because compared to reality, the words fall flat. And quite frankly, I'm back to where I started with not knowing where to go from here because I'm only just beginning to scratch the surface.

Senebty,
Henut
"Bread deals with living things, with giving life, with growth, with the seed, the grain that nurtures.  It is not coincidence that we say bread is the staff of life." ~Lionel Poilane

Offline Baket

• Divined Remetj
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2010, 04:56:59 pm »
Wow, that's cool, thank you for adding that.
Devotee of the Divine Felines and my darling Loki
http://www.zazzle.com/cattywompus

Offline HenutPtah

• Shemsu
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2010, 11:11:45 pm »
Something that I wanted to add is that Ptah can also very much be the booming voice throwing lightning bolts out of the heavens type too. I don't/haven't experience Him this way, but talked to those that have.

And one more thing (for now anyway), this is my favorite image of my Father.
"Bread deals with living things, with giving life, with growth, with the seed, the grain that nurtures.  It is not coincidence that we say bread is the staff of life." ~Lionel Poilane

Offline Rev. Raheri

• W'ab (priest)
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2010, 07:34:44 am »
I love that image of Him Henut. It is exactly how I see Him. Thanks for sharing!

« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2010, 01:45:07 pm »
I don't know enough about Ptah to really contribute to this conversation.  I just want to say that this has gotten me rather interested in Him.
Kehawi
Sa Amun-Ra her Set
Mery Serqet her Heru-wer

Offline Taji

• Divined Remetj
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2010, 01:57:43 pm »
Quote from: Bestekeni

I'm glad I'm not the only one.  I have nothing else to contribute either, but that made me laugh.  :)
Tasedjebbastmut (Taji) | Φιλίπη Ανθεια (Pippa)
Daughter of Bast-Mut | Servant of Hera

Offline Tarytenyinepu

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2010, 09:40:06 am »
From what I've gotten by reading through this thread, it seems Ptah is a lot like Calvin Coolidge was. XD

He never spoke much, but when he did he had something you needed to hear. It makes me think that sometimes only a few words need to be spoken in order to get the point across. I liked the haiku reference because it really put this concept in a realistic perspective.

So I guess I would want to talk to Ptah for help with my speech class? It's been stressing me out beyond comprehension, and to have someone at least be there when I'm working on it would be a relief.
Taryt En Yinepu "Respect for Yinepu"
Sat Yinepu-Wepwawet her (Hekatawy Alexandros)|, Meryt Sekhmet-Hethert her Djehuty her Montu
--Sau Apprentice--
"The best thing in life is to wake up tomorrow." -- Uncle Jack

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 3312
  • stats Total Posts: 299385
  • stats Total Topics: 20544
  • stats Total Categories: 8
  • stats Total Boards: 119
  • stats Most Online: 955