collapse collapse

* Donation Status

52%
Current donation status as of September 3, 2021 = $1,302.97 of $2,500 or 52%
Donate!

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 35
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

Author Topic: RPD and Root Naming  (Read 14219 times)

RPD and Root Naming
« on: January 21, 2010, 08:11:53 pm »
« Last Edit: May 03, 2016, 07:30:17 pm by Kheru »

Offline Naisenu

Re: RPD and Root Naming
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2010, 09:50:32 pm »
Well - you can start here for a bit of information on the RPD. http://www.wepwawet.org/wiki/index.php?title=Rite_of_Parent_Divination

I'm sure someone more eloquent and wordier than me will be along to fill in the gaps. :)

Offline Asetwedjbai

• Divined Remetj
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2010, 09:58:58 pm »
Em hotep Kheru!

Nai's link explains RPD pretty well :)

After going through RPD, if you choose to become a Shemsu you are given your Shemsu name in a naming ceremony, where you'd also take your Shemsu vows. The ceremony is open to anyone who is eligible to be named at that time, so usually there are a few people getting their names, although I have been to a naming with just one Shemsu.

Hemet receives our Shemsu names from our parents. This rite was created as a step to show our conversion or rebirth in our new faith.

Rootnaming is for children, they are named for the god(s) in festival on the day of their birth. That god will protect the child until he or she is old enough to chose to become a Divined Remetj or Shemsu and have their RPD done.
Wedjbai
sat Aset-Amenti
meryt Hethert, Wesir, Yinepu, Nut &
Nebthet

Offline Naisenu

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2010, 10:29:41 pm »
Ah yes - the rootnaming. My baby girl is rootnamed in the faith. By Hemet's calendar this is her date of birth:
23 DECEMBER - I Peret 19
Festival:  Feast of Nit and Heka, Day 2

Hence she got rootnamed: Hekauemhebet (The Magicians are in Festival) referencing both Heka & Nit - shortened to Hebet (which puns nicely to "festival" :D)

Offline Sedjemes

• Semer-Wati
  • Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2010, 06:38:43 am »
Hotep.

The Rite of Parent Divination is one of the rites of passage within Kemetic Orthodoxy. It is performed only by Rev. Siuda, our Nisut and the founder of Kemetic Orthodoxy, for any Remetj of the faith who feels it is an appropriate step in their spiritual journey. It is required only if one wishes to become a Shemsu. One can be a Remetj and not undertake the RPD, still enjoying full participation in members' chats and rituals both online and in-person, except for any few that are open only to those already Shemsu. One can also undertake the RPD but stay as a Divined Remetj and also enjoy full participation as above without taking the Shemsu step.

Kemetic Orthodox around the world are all converts to Kemetic faith. We did not grow up within the Kemetic culture, and it will be generations before we probably can truly have a completely Kemetic culture, philosophically, spiritually, and in practice.

It must be emphasized that one need not be Kemetic Orthodox to maintain a profound relationship with any and all of the gods of Kemet. It must be emphasized that a Kemetic Orthodox can be Remetj and maintain a profound relationship with any and all of the gods of Kemet. It must be emphasized that a Kemetic Orthodox who has undergone the RPD can maintain a profound relationship with any and all of the gods of Kemet. Sometimes the RPD is seen as a restriction. It is not. It is not a collection service where we get to confirm, or to discover, the only and special god(s) that love us only and best. While one who undertakes the RPD may tend to have a specific relationship with the god(s) who are Parent(s)/Beloveds, that person can also have significant relationships with any and all other gods. The RPD provides a look into knowing who we are by means of knowing our divine Parent and Beloved, as a possible step toward formalizing service to the gods and the Kemetic Orthodox community of faith. Our Parent and Beloved are not the only gods who might come knocking on our door or whispering in our ears. Nor do we expect that just the gods in our lineup will ever communicate with us, teach us, guide us, love us and care about us.

Rootnaming is a separate thing. Minor children of Kemetic Orthodox can be rootnamed based on their birthdate. These names are not linked with the RPD at all nor with the Shemsu naming.

Hope this helps.
Khenmetaset ("Aset Gladdens")
Sedjemes ("She listens")
Daughter of Aset-Serqet, Meryt Ra her Sekhmet
Heri-Sesheta Aset-Serqet

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2010, 09:55:09 am »
The consensus is that Ma'at won't appear, since we're all Her children, but other than Her, yeah, Anyone can turn up. More known Names seem to be more common, but we have an Amunet kid, for example, and Tek is a daughter of Bes.

It used to be thought that vast, abstract or primal names such as Tefnut and Shu wouldn't show up as Parents, but I as the first child of Tefnut in the House prove differently.

There seems to be some rules about Who can appear and in what company, though. Aset is never seen as a Parent to a dual-Parented one, She just doesn't share. Set is always one of two Parents, since it seems He's just too much to take on without another Name's influence :P And if you get Set or Heru-wer as a parent, you'll always have the other as a Beloved (I believe this applies to Tefnut and Shu as well, but since I'm the only Tefnut child so far and there are as of yet no Shu kids, we can't really know that).

There are probably other rules as well, but we just don't know of them yet.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2010, 09:55:52 am by Akhytsenu »

Offline Naisenu

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2010, 10:01:31 am »
The only Names that we know for sure won't turn up, because everyone is a child of these Names are: Ma'at and Atum

We do have some obscure Names that have shown up in RPD:
Mut in her form of Amunet
Bast-Mut, Sekhmet-Mut, and Hethert-Mut aren't too well known outside the House
Bes
Geb
Heka
Heqat
Heruakhety
Ma'ahes
Mafdet
Renenutet
Tefnut
Wadjet
Khenti-Amentiu
Nefertem
Khonsu
Montu
Heru-Behdety

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2010, 09:02:31 pm »
how does one go about getting it done?is there any cost involved?

Offline Sedjemes

• Semer-Wati
  • Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2010, 09:13:21 pm »
Em hotep

The Rite of Parent Divination, (aka RPD for short), is one of the rites of passage applicable to those who have completed the beginners course, AND declared their intention thereafter to join the House of Netjer as members. Undertaking the RPD is not required to enjoy membership.

If and when one wishes to undertake the RPD yes there is a cost involved.
Sedjemes ("She listens")
Heri-Sesheta Aset-Serqet

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2010, 09:21:58 pm »
thanks for letting me know. i sent in an application to do the beginners course but i dont think i will get in,i only discovered you guys/gals recently so i think i must be way past the deadline...lol

Offline Sedjemes

• Semer-Wati
  • Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2010, 09:25:50 pm »
We hold beginners courses every four months or so. If you noticed, the next group will begin some time in mid-October, so you only missed deadline for the current class :)
Sedjemes ("She listens")
Heri-Sesheta Aset-Serqet

Offline Iaityinepu

• Shemsu
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2010, 09:27:54 pm »
there will be another class.. you'll just have to be patient
Sat Yinepu-Wepwawet Meryt Satet her Amun-Ra
Iait (with an i, not an L): Adoring

I offer affordable guidance readings, distant healing and developmental courses.  Please take a look - Readings by Caroline

« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2010, 03:22:21 pm »
Forgive me if this is a dumb question, or if I'm not supposed to be posting here since I'm just a beginner!

I've felt called by Aset since I was a kid, and I've prayed to Her for as long as I can remember. But what does it mean if I go thru the RPD and find out that She is not my parent? Would not the Names who have called me the strongest be my parents? I guess I am afraid of losing this bond I fell with Her as my Mother. (Maybe I am being presumptuous?) And if there are other Names who are my true parents, wouldn't they have manifested themselves in my life before now, even though I didn't really know what to look for?

Offline Sekhmetnenek

• Shemsu
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2010, 03:33:07 pm »
Hotep Abhainn!

This is a very common concern that people have when contemplating the RPD. I definitely did. I always felt called and protected by Sekhmet, and I was so worried She would not show up as my Mother. I was so scared, in fact, that I chickened out of the process entirely for a while.

A couple of months later, I finally realized I had to do it because I loved Netjer and the House. And lo and behold, Sekhmet is my Mother.

Meanwhile, even if She wasn't, I would still have an equally strong relationship with Her, and Whoever my Parent(s) may have been. I believe Kai-Imakhu Sedjemes said she had absolutely no inkling that Aset was her Mother until the RPD, and there are other members with similar stories.
Sekhmetnenek|Sekhmet Belongs to Me|
Sa Sekhmet-Hethert,
Mery Nebthet-Nit-Seshat

Offline Sedjemes

• Semer-Wati
  • Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2010, 03:37:49 pm »
Hotep Abhainn :)

You can post wherever you think you can find an answer so here is just fine :)

We have children of deities who felt closest to those deities before their RPD and turned out afterwards that those were their Parents. We have children of deities who turned out to be children of deities other than those to whom they felt closest. It's all good :).

Having said all that--here is something to ponder from the other side. I was happily and devoutly Christian until about ten years ago, when I discovered the House of Netjer. Never having felt called by any Kemetic deities at all, I simply decided that this faith may well be a good spiritual fit for me. When I approached my RPD after beginners class ended for me, Aset was not even in my mind as a possible Parent. I did not pray to her and in fact thought I well may be a child of at least half-dozen other deities.

And now here I am a decade later, wondering how I could have missed it. She has not held it against me that I did not even think about her back then :)

I would say don't fret one way or other about this yet. Whatever happens, Aset probably won't be going far from you :)
Sedjemes ("She listens")
Heri-Sesheta Aset-Serqet

* Most Recent Topics

topic Hello
[[PUBLIC] Welcome!]
Asetmehheri
September 20, 2021, 01:38:38 pm
topic National Museum of Egyptian Civilisation
[[PUBLIC] All Things Egypt: Ancient & Modern History and Culture]
Senuwierneheh