collapse collapse

* Donation Status

74%
Current donation status as of December 21, 2021 = $1,851.48 of $2,500 or 74%
Donate!

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 33
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 2
  • Dot Users Online:

Author Topic: how to dispose of offerings?  (Read 57863 times)

Offline Niheri

• Shemsu
Re: how to dispose of offerings?
« Reply #60 on: October 10, 2010, 06:41:46 am »
Interesting thoughts, everyone. I still wonder why my animals won't drink the water that is offered during Senut to the Akhu, etc. I always trust animals for spiritual matters, so I give it to the earth now (hopefully not doing any harm!).
Daughter of Wepwawet-Yinepu

Beloved of Set and Amun-Ra.

Offline Rev. Sema'a

• W'ab (priest)
« Reply #61 on: October 10, 2010, 07:05:24 am »
Em hotep all!

As far as eating or not eating Akhu offerings goes: I personally would feel weird about eating Akhu offerings for one small reason: the Akhu are dead, the Gods are living. Even though there is evidence that all offerings were eaten in antiquity, I can wrap my head around eating offerings to Gods, but not to Akhu (or any other non-divine spirit I honor, for that matter). I just personally don't think I can wrap my head around that. :crazy:

Senebty,
Sobeq
Sobeqsenu [Sema'a Ankh Hena Semawy]
child of Wepwawet & Sekhmet-Mut
beloved of Bast, Nut, Khonsu & Nebt-het
Heri-sesheta Wepwawet | Fedw Diviner

Offline Mesetibes

• W'ab (priest)
« Reply #62 on: October 10, 2010, 08:57:24 am »
Hotep Jet!

My water from senut goes in one of two places: Either to my cats in their water dish, or to my plants that sit around my shrine. So you're not alone in that regard.

~Maret
Rev. Mesetibes
Sat Heqat, meryt Djehuti her Ptah her Heru-wer
Fedw Diviner
2011 Wep Ronpet Frog Princess/
W'abet Nekhen Sha'a Sha'at Imef

Offline The Tai'awepwawet System

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #63 on: October 10, 2010, 09:37:20 am »
My water from Senut goes out the window :P I do Senut in  my bedroom, and I'm forgetful, so if I waited to go pour it in plants etc I'd never manage. So it goes out the window (I have another roof right under mine) where it can trickle down into the garden and/or evaporate, which is fine for me.
Tjema'awy | Sekhemib
Meset Wepwawet her (Hekatawy Alexandros)|
Meryt Serqet, Bast, Ra-Heruakhety, Hethert-Amenti, Nit-Nebthet-Seshat, her Sekhmet-Hethert
𓃧-𓆫𓃠𓅊𓋀𓋌𓁴
Our Blog, Links to Carrd, Incense + Perfume Spreadsheets

Offline Sobekemiti

• Shemsu
« Reply #64 on: October 10, 2010, 11:02:35 am »
Just to be contrary, I differentiate between food offerings made to the Akhu, and food eaten in tribute to/because it reminds me of my Akhu. The former I don't eat; the latter I do. Food offerings to the Akhu are disposed of in the compost or the garden and not eaten.

But, say, the chocolates my nanna used to give me as a kid. I buy them when I see them every so often in the shops and give a quick 'this is for you, nanna' before I eat it, just to let her know I'm still thinking about her. But to me it's not a 'proper' Akhu offering, so I don't feel any qualms in eating it. Likewise, nanna's chicken dish. There's always a 'thanks nanna' from me and my parents when we eat it, but to me, it's not a proper Akhu offering either. Maybe it's the intent that differentiates it in my mind. IDK. But that's how I do it. I'm not sure of others do this too though.

Just throwing my 2c in now that I finally worked out how to say what I wanted to say. XD
Sobekemiti ('Sobek is my Daddy') | Genderfluid (they/them) | Sau Apprentice
mes-en-Sobek Shedety
meryt Heru-sa-Aset, Aset, Djehuty, her Wepwawet
Per Sebek (new url) | Emiti's carrd

« Reply #65 on: October 10, 2010, 02:58:14 pm »
Water from Senut I tend to either let evaporate, use to water plants, or give to my pets.  My pets really like water that's been left sit a little while so it works.
Son of Set and Wepwawet-Yinepu.
Beloved of Sekhmet-Hethert, Heru-Wer, and Aset-Serqet.

Offline Raheri

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #66 on: October 10, 2010, 08:04:07 pm »
Em hotep everybody,

Taking the food items offered to Netjer and then consuming them was an ancient practice. Here are some sources that talks about this for the discussion.

Richard H. Wilkinson writes in The Complete Temples of Ancient Egypt,
All these foodstuffs were simply placed before the god’s shrine or in the hall of offerings outside the sanctuary. Normally after the god have been given the opportunity to take whatever nourishment or enjoyment he desired, the items sanctified as offerings were removed for distribution among the priests and other temple personnel. The offerings given to the deity had established ongoing life and stability for the king, and by extension, the people and land as a whole.

Serge Sauneron writes in The Priests of Ancient Egypt,
The food was evidently not consumed by the god. Only part of his incorporeal soul was present in his statue, and the god’s meal thus transpired beyond the limits of human perception, the immaterial spirit of the food passing into the divine soul without any apparent change in the arrangement of the offerings heaped on the alters. The offerings were then returned to the workshops to be divided up among the various priests of the temple according to a set ratio. The temple personnel thus lived on the offerings dedicated to the god, satisfying themselves with their material reality, after the deity and the privileged dead had had their fill of their immaterial essence.

Burnt offerings do have a place in history as well. Richard H. Wilkinson writes in The Complete Temples of Ancient Egypt,
The practice of making burnt offerings is usually thought to appeared only relatively late in Egyptian history and to have been of foreign origin - although a burnt offering is made in the Middle Kingdom story of the Shipwrecked Sailor, some of the offering scenes from Armana appear to depict burnt offerings, and there are certainly instances of this practice in some New Kingdom tombs.

Senebty,
Raheri
Sa Wesir-Sokar, mery Nut her Djehuty
Heri-sesheta Wesir

« Reply #67 on: October 10, 2010, 09:44:10 pm »
Thank you Raheri, this information was very helpful, and I am going to look into this more; it is very interesting to me.  Again thank you, and I apologize to all for my earlier ignorance. :)
Ne'sip - Thii - Mu - Pah - Ma'at
(Never Wander From The Truth)

Hk'hk - Mu - Th'n - Ib - Gh'ert - Netjer
(Keep Netjer In Your Heart Always)

Nin - Mesin'i - I'usi - Sa'ahu...
(No-one is born a sage) - IOPH

Offline Iaityinepu

• Shemsu
« Reply #68 on: October 10, 2010, 09:57:41 pm »
I found it interesting today, after we (Me, Neheb and Hefedu) finished Senut. We pour all of our libations from their small cups (each of us has 4 cups for the libations on our shrines) into a bigger bowl, that I then use for watering plants and the sort, after we are done.  Today, after the water was all poured into the bowl, Hefedu (19mth old) started annointing herself with the water.  She was putting her hand in the bowl and then touching parts of her body.  I guess she thought/knew the water was blessed and wanted to bless herself.
Sat Yinepu-Wepwawet Meryt Satet her Amun-Ra
Iait (with an i, not an L): Adoring

I offer affordable guidance readings, distant healing and developmental courses.  Please take a look - Readings by Caroline

« Reply #69 on: October 11, 2010, 02:09:22 am »
Em-Hotep-Rh'ekh,

I found this while doing some research on offerings and the such, and thought this would be a good place to share it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ancient_Egyptian_offering_formula

I found it to be very interesting; hope it is as interesting to all who desire to read it.
Ne'sip - Thii - Mu - Pah - Ma'at
(Never Wander From The Truth)

Hk'hk - Mu - Th'n - Ib - Gh'ert - Netjer
(Keep Netjer In Your Heart Always)

Nin - Mesin'i - I'usi - Sa'ahu...
(No-one is born a sage) - IOPH

Offline Niheri

• Shemsu
« Reply #70 on: October 11, 2010, 04:38:31 am »
Thankyou, Imsetra-Imsety - that was really helpful :).
Daughter of Wepwawet-Yinepu

Beloved of Set and Amun-Ra.

Offline Raheri

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #71 on: October 11, 2010, 08:32:27 am »
Quote from: Imsetra_Imsety
Thank you Raheri, this information was very helpful, and I am going to look into this more; it is very interesting to me.  Again thank you, and I apologize to all for my earlier ignorance. :)

Em hotep Imsetra Imsety,

There is no need to apologize. If this works for you then do it. There were times when burnt offerings were done. The disposal of the offerings is between you and Netjer, and no one here has the authority to tell you how to do it. This information was put just to add to the discussion since some people where taling about sources.

Senebty,
Raheri
Sa Wesir-Sokar, mery Nut her Djehuty
Heri-sesheta Wesir

Offline Mesetibes

• W'ab (priest)
« Reply #72 on: October 11, 2010, 09:14:32 am »
Quote from: Imsetra_Imsety
Em-Hotep-Rh'ekh,

I found this while doing some research on offerings and the such, and thought this would be a good place to share it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ancient_Egyptian_offering_formula

I found it to be very interesting; hope it is as interesting to all who desire to read it.

Hotep,

This looks like a formula for the Hotep-di-Nisut, which is an offering made to the Akhu on behalf of the King. Usually, it's 1000 loaves of bread. The Ancient Egyptian Prayerbook contains two Hotep-di-Nisut, a shorter one, and a longer version.

Senebty.
~Maret
« Last Edit: October 11, 2010, 09:14:47 am by Maretemheqat »
Rev. Mesetibes
Fedw Diviner

Offline Sedjemes

• Semer-Wati
  • Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #73 on: October 11, 2010, 09:31:32 am »
Hotep

Here is a site giving some examples of the hotep di nisut offering formula:

http://www.reevans.net/egypt/hotep.html

Not all the examples were ever fully translated by the website owner.
Khenmetaset ("Aset Gladdens")
Sedjemes ("She listens")
Daughter of Aset-Serqet, Meryt Ra her Sekhmet
Heri-Sesheta Aset-Serqet

Offline Mesetibes

• W'ab (priest)
« Reply #74 on: October 11, 2010, 10:00:29 am »
Hotep Kai Imakhu,

Looking at both pages, it still looks to me that what was posted by Imsetra was a Hotep di Nisut. The wording is exactly the same in both pages, with the exception of Wesir being the Lord of two places. (The webpage you present names Djedu, while the webpage Imsetra presents names Busiris.)

Senebty!
~Maret
Rev. Mesetibes
Fedw Diviner

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 3506
  • stats Total Posts: 304388
  • stats Total Topics: 21164
  • stats Total Categories: 9