collapse collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 49
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 2
  • Dot Users Online:

Author Topic: how to dispose of offerings?  (Read 52751 times)

how to dispose of offerings?
« on: February 26, 2010, 11:50:10 am »
I have been burring them. Is that correct or does it just depend on the individual Netjer?

Senebty

Offline Bestekeni

• Semer-Wati
  • Shemsu-Ankh
Re: how to dispose of offerings?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2010, 12:18:16 pm »
Food offerings to Netjer are to be consumed, not wasted.  Akhu offerings are another matter, though, and burying can be an appropriate way to dispose of those, I think.  
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Bestekeni »
Fedw diviner for Bes
𓃀𓎂𓀭𓏏𓎡𓈖𓁐
Sat Bes her Hekatawy Alexandros (AUS)
Meryt Heru-wer her Amun-Ra her Bast

Offline Bastmuttepta

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2010, 12:20:49 pm »
Em hotep, Lenny :)

It really depends on what you are offering, and Who you are offering to.

When offering to Netjer:
-When we offer food or drink, we usually consume it after a period of time when we feel Netjer has "finished" with it. Netjer takes the non-physical essence of the food, but what is left is "blessed" in a sense as Netjer has interacted with it.
-When we offer objects like stones or jewelry, they are usually left on the shrine or stored in a box on/under/near the shrine.
-When offering actions, there's nothing to dispose of anyway. :)

When offering to your ancestors (Akhu):
-We do not consume food or drink offered to our Akhu, as they are deceased. They remove the 'energy' of the food and afterwards it isn't something we consider good for us to eat. You can dispose of the food by leaving it out for wildlife, watering a house plant with water, or just throwing it away. Keep in mind food offered to the Akhu is usually a very small portion so you aren't tossing a whole meal.
-When we offer objects like stones or jewelry, again, they are usually left on the shrine or stored in a box on/under/near the shrine.
-When offering actions, just as with offering them to Netjer, there's nothing to dispose of anyway.

This is my general understanding. Keep in mind I'm Remetj and no 'expert' on offerings in the least ;P

Senebty,

Laura
Bastmuttepta - "Bast-Mut since the beginning; Bast-Mut survives; Bast-Mut perpetuates" | Sat Bast-Mut her Nisut (AUS) Meryt Sekhmet-Hethert, Serqet-Aset, Mafdet, Sobek, her Ptah-Sokar-Wesir | Fedw Diviner for Bast-Mut

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2010, 12:21:53 pm »
I have been burring food offerings. And i'm sorry what is Akhu? Lol i don't know all the terms yet.

Offline Bastmuttepta

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2010, 12:24:07 pm »
Quote from: Lenny
I have been burring food offerings. And i'm sorry what is Akhu? Lol i don't know all the terms yet.

*points up to her post* Ancestors, the blessed dead. :)

*also nudges Tek about an extra 'not' thrown into her post o.o*

Senebty,

Laura
Bastmuttepta - "Bast-Mut since the beginning; Bast-Mut survives; Bast-Mut perpetuates" | Sat Bast-Mut her Nisut (AUS) Meryt Sekhmet-Hethert, Serqet-Aset, Mafdet, Sobek, her Ptah-Sokar-Wesir | Fedw Diviner for Bast-Mut

Offline Bestekeni

• Semer-Wati
  • Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2010, 12:28:58 pm »
Eek, thanks for that!  My post now reads how I intended it to be read.
Fedw diviner for Bes
𓃀𓎂𓀭𓏏𓎡𓈖𓁐
Sat Bes her Hekatawy Alexandros (AUS)
Meryt Heru-wer her Amun-Ra her Bast

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2010, 12:30:09 pm »
Ah ok. That may be why Hethert got mad at me after I burried Her offerings. (She helped me a while ago) And Bast did not mind what i did with the food.(My mom ran over a cat yesterday) I kept her food out all night so i don't think she expected me to eat it unless She wanted me to puke. Icecream and choclate milk does not tast good warm.... Bast was verry nice.

Offline Taqaisenu

• Shemsu
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2010, 12:36:01 pm »
Ah ok. That may be why Hethert got mad at me after I burried Her offerings. (She helped me a while ago)

I don't know about getting mad, but at times Netjer enjoys and prefers that we sit with Them and share the offerings.  It's my favorite way of spending quality time with Them: Just sitting, eating the homemade cupcake I just offered, drinking the drink I just offered, and simply visiting.  It is special time well spent.
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others."
 - Groucho Marx

Sat Set her Hethert-Sekhmet, meryt Heru-Wer, Djehuty her Amun.

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2010, 12:43:01 pm »
Idk She did not seem verry happy  :(
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Lenny »

Offline Tai'awepwawet

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2010, 05:05:57 pm »
I kept her food out all night so i don't think she expected me to eat it unless She wanted me to puke. Icecream and choclate milk does not tast good warm.... Bast was verry nice.

Heru-Wer gets a good laugh out of each time I try to drink his offerings (things like rum and such) for the first time, but he doesn't make me if I turn out to dislike it. It's not like I have to CONSUME IT OR FACE THE WRATH OF GOD.

The Netjeru understand that I am a seriously fussy eater and drinker and so may have to come up with alternate disposal methods in order to offer them interesting things.

(this is one of the reasons I tend to only offer them liquid)
Isha (they) | Selene (she)
Meset Wepwawet, Child of (Hekatawy Alexandros)|
Meryt Serqet, Bast, Ra-Heruakhty, Hethert-Amenti, Nit-Nebthet-Seshat
Fedw and Tarot Diviner • Reiki Student • Sau Apprentice
𓇼𓃧𓆫𓃠𓅊𓏣𓋌𓇼

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2010, 05:39:21 pm »
Lol ok thanx. :) I think i will stop leaving offering out all night unless the Netjer i am giving it to wanted it so i can enjoy it with them.  :)

Senebty

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2010, 09:34:08 pm »
I offer grain, fruit, bread, olives, and spices. Sometimes other things. I put them out for the animals. Nothing better than to see birds eat the offerings.
http://guerillachefhq.blogspot.com/

Heads Carolina, tails California
Somewhere greener, somewhere warmer...

« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2010, 07:45:10 am »
That's nice.  :) I have did that before i starting looking into K.O. I would put everything on a plat out in the woods and direct it to what ever God i am giving it too.  Then a racoon would get to it or something after awhile :)

Senebty

Offline Wesirempet

• Shemsu
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2010, 10:53:06 am »
I have two questions along with this =]
We never have much food in the house so do the not mind too much what I offer? Like just bread or milk? Or are there any specifics? Can I also offer incense, and oil?

And this may sound really silly, but how long do I leave an offering out generally? I ask because I can imagine myself offering it and then sitting tehre waiting for ten minutes till I can comsume it ^^
Sat Wesir, Meryt Nut, Meryt Hethert-Sekhmet!

**O Nut! How mighty is your heart!**

Offline Bastmuttepta

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2010, 11:31:40 am »
Em hotep, Amunti :)

Different Names/Gods like different sorts of things, They all have different preferences. A lot of this is trial and error- the more you offer and the variety of things you offer, you will probably get different impressions. Some will be received well, others not so much. You may even get impressions that they really want something you've never offered before, so maybe you try it out and it works. :) However, They also understand our limitations. Any heartfelt offering will usually be received warmly.

That being said, food, incense, oils, objects, and even acts (like community service) are all things we can present/do as offerings. Obviously you wouldn't consume the incense, oils or objects afterwards (eww, lol), but usually with all things you tend to get a "sense" when whatever Name you're offering to is done with it. Trust your intuition- it may be a few minutes or a little bit longer. With incense, I usually let it burn out completely. With the object offerings like jewelry, gemstones, etc, I leave it in Shrine- because it belongs to Them now, not me. It usually only takes 5-10 minutes for whatever Name I'm offering food to let me know They're done with it. :)

Senebty!

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 3260
  • stats Total Posts: 298653
  • stats Total Topics: 20479
  • stats Total Categories: 8
  • stats Total Boards: 117
  • stats Most Online: 955