Register
collapse collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 78
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 2
  • Dot Users Online:

Author Topic: How Do We Purify?  (Read 17363 times)

Offline Sobeqsenu

• Rev. Danielle - Ordained Clergy
How Do We Purify?
« on: March 19, 2010, 02:36:17 pm »
Em hotep, everyone!

I was getting ready for Senut this morning and started wondering about everyone's individual purification processes. I know everyone's houses are laid out differently, and we all have our own quirks when we worship, so I wanted to see if we could discuss how we carry out our own purifications.

When I do Senut, I usually do it in the morning, so I bless the water and natron, mix them together, then hop in the shower. When I've finished washing, I wash with the natron water, wrap myself in a towel and go into the kitchen to gather the offerings. Once I've done that, I carry my offerings (and my clothes from before the shower!) upstairs while I change into my whites. I brush my hair but don't moisturize or put on any sort of cosmetics until after Senut. Most times I'll be stopped by my parents who have something to say before I go up to my room, but they generally don't keep me too long, being that I'm fresh out of the shower.

Generally I don't offer things that need cooking because of this, and I generally offer simple things. If I want to offer something more complicated I'll save Senut until later in the day, when I've had time to arrange whatever I'm offering.

How about everyone else? How do you purify? Do you take a full bath or do you just purify in the shower? Do you arrange all your offerings before purifying, or after? :)

Senebty,
Sobeq
Priest of Wepwawet and Sekhmet-Mut
Beloved of Bast, Nut, Khonsu & Nebt-het
Heri-sesheta Wepwawet | Fedw Diviner
revdgallo@kemet.org

Offline Taji

• Divined Remetj
Re: How Do We Purify?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2010, 02:45:06 pm »
Em hotep, Sobeq.  Cool thread.  :)  I generally do senut in the evenings before bed.  I will lay out everything I need near my shrine before starting, including my offerings (which are also generally very simple and require little prep).  Then I generally start the water in the tub running, bless a bowl of water, bless the natron, dump most of this in the tub, and then take a full bath.  I actually really like taking baths more than showers, so this is relaxing for me.  I will wash my hair and do everything I need to do.  While sitting in the tub, I will wash and rinse out my mouth with the remainder of the natron water in the bowl.

Senebty,

Taji
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Taji »
Tasedjebbast,
Daughter of Bast-Mut & Hekatawy Alexandros (AUS)
Beloved of Yinepu-Wepwawet & Sekhmet-Hethert
Beloved of Set & Heru-wer Who Are the Bawy
Beloved of Aset-Serqet

Offline Taqaisenu

• Shemsu
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2010, 03:12:44 pm »
I will be the first one to call myself a "Lazy Kemetic".  The will and drive is there, however, the time and privacy is not, so I had to make some concessions in order to perform senut as regularly as possible.

Once a week, typically Sunday evenings, I mix up a 'batch' of natron water:  Blessing the water, blessing the natron, mixing them together and pouring it into a stainless steel thermos.  

Weekday mornings after I wake up, I pour some natron water out of the thermos onto a clean washcloth and cleanse myself.  I get ready for work as normal, and rinse my mouth with natron water after I brush my teeth.  I perform senut immediately before leaving the house for work in my work clothes, complete with makeup and perfume, everything except jewelry and shoes.  My offerings are typically my morning juices (vegetable and fruit), a baked good if I made something recently, and occasionally something nice.  Never alcohol, since I will be hitting the road in 10 minutes.

My gods are very happy and accepting of my 'laziness' because it means that I am able to spend time with Them every day.  It is "good enough for now", because I could come up with nothing else better.   Although They have made it clear to me that while it is good enough "for now", it is not sufficient for Them when I do have the time and opportunity to be a little more formal in my purity preparations.

Obviously, YMMV. :)
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others."
 - Groucho Marx

Sat Set her Hethert-Sekhmet, meryt Heru-Wer, Djehuty her Amun.
Fedw Diviner

Sit Down, Parakeet | Twitter

Offline Aashemmuti

• Shemsu
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2010, 03:48:23 pm »
There have been a couple of occasions when I purified in the shower, then got distracted and was unable to do the Senut. But I felt like the purification helped me anyway. Is that ok? I hope I did not offend by purifying without doing the Senut, but so far nobody seems to be mad about it (in terms of the Names).
Sat Sekhmet-Hethert her Bast, Meryt Shu her Sokar-Wesir.

Offline Taji

• Divined Remetj
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2010, 03:54:31 pm »
That's totally cool, FernGreen.  I've actually done similar things.  I actually spoke the water purification (under my breath, of course) over the swimming pool in my gym when I was having a particularly stressful day.  And while this may all be in my head, I found the subsequent swim very refreshing and restorative.  :)
Tasedjebbast,
Daughter of Bast-Mut & Hekatawy Alexandros (AUS)
Beloved of Yinepu-Wepwawet & Sekhmet-Hethert
Beloved of Set & Heru-wer Who Are the Bawy
Beloved of Aset-Serqet

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2010, 04:00:02 pm »
I don't do Senut at the same time every day, although in general I do it in the evening after I've cooked dinner so that I can offer it.  I prepare the natron water, gargle with it, and dab some of it in my ears, nose, and eyes before pouring the rest in the bath.  I do a bath because I usually take baths anyway.
Son of Set and Wepwawet-Yinepu.
Beloved of Sekhmet-Hethert, Heru-Wer, and Aset-Serqet.

Offline Tai'awepwawet

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2010, 05:00:03 pm »
If I have any offerings I bring them into the room before I purify etc.

I pretty much always take showers. Sooo, I handle things by blessing a glass of (hot) water, blessing the natron, mixing them, and then in the shower after I've washed I do the whole purifying deal with it (and pour any left over me), and then rinse in the shower.

I then go straight into my bedroom and perform Senut in my whites without applying anything. Only afterwards do I do deodorant etc and change into everyday clothes.

I can do a more trimmed down version, but typically, because I have so much time, this is how I do things.
Meset Wepwawet
Meryt Serqet, Bast, Ra-Heruakhty, her Hethert-Amenti
Child of (Hekatawy Alexandros)|
Fedw and Tarot Diviner • Sau Apprentice
𓇼𓃧𓆫𓃠𓅊𓁥𓇼

Offline Tahai

• Shemsu
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2010, 05:18:20 pm »
When I do do Senut, I prefer to do it outside, on the deck.  I use a portable shrine, so I set it up and gather all my offerings ahead of time.  I iron my whites, or run them through the dryer while I'm bathing.  I hop from the bath into my whites, and go straight down to Senut.
TahaiBast
Daughter of Bast.  Beloved of Sobek-Ra, Djehuty, and Sekhmet-Hethert.

Self-care Sekhmet and Sobek-Ra Keeper

Feed the Ka Association (FKA)

Offline Arienihethert

• Tawy Bak
  • W'ab Priest - Lay Clergy
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2010, 07:38:26 pm »
I almost always purify in the shower, but I do that as the very first thing, before any soap is deployed. I then wander about in my robe, collecting offerings and anything else I might need that might have wandered away from the shrine area (prayerbook, usually; sometimes I need to rescue my whites from the laundry basket, but they are generally stored in a drawer in my shrine cabinet thingy). Then I get dressed and do senut.

Used to be this would all be done at night after Wehebu was asleep, but now I either get up early and do senut before anyone else is awake, or I do senut with Wehebu immediately before or after school. She's really into "appreciating the gods" right now, so the schedule has gotten much more loose to accommodate her random urges for shrine time. As long as we can both reasonably meet purity standards, I don't mind the occasional surprise senut.

If Bu joins me, we get dressed first, then purify in a less elaborate way than the shower method. I also keep a spray bottle of pre-chanted-and-natroned water near the shrine for any emergency purification reinforcement needs. None of it's ideal, but these are the things that make getting to shrine possible in this house. :)
Look out the window. And doesn't this remind you of when you were in the boat, and then later that night you were lying looking up at the ceiling, and the water in your head was not dissimilar from the landscape, and you think to yourself Why is it that the landscape is moving but the boat is still?

Offline Menemaset

• Shemsu
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2010, 07:51:22 pm »
Quote from: Taiawepwawet
I pretty much always take showers. Sooo, I handle things by blessing a glass of (hot) water, blessing the natron, mixing them, and then in the shower after I've washed I do the whole purifying deal with it (and pour any left over me), and then rinse in the shower.

(Emphasis added)

I purify very similarly to Tai'a. I don't have a bathtub so a shower is my only option. The first time I attempted Senut I used room temperature (verging on cold) water and it didn't really occur to me that my purified natron-water would feel REALLYYYYY cold in a hot shower. Needless to say, the water that I bless is always on the warmer side nowadays. ;)  
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Coty »
Menem
Son of Aset, beloved of Seshat and Mut

"The hardest thing in this world is to live in it. Be brave. Live." -Buffy

Offline Shefytbast

• W'ab Priest - Lay Clergy
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2010, 09:12:12 pm »
I take showers because I find it a pain to wash my hair in the tub. ^_^ After I get clean and wash and condition my hair, I grab my Magic Natron-Water Glass from outside the shower stall and splash/dab/pour the contents on myself, then get out, dry off, and put on my whites in the bathroom. After I drop off my regular clothes in the bedroom, I go to the shrine room, where I set up the shrine table and put out the offerings. I don't like to set up the offerings beforehand because cold things get warm and warm things get cold. Sometimes I actually end up cooking while in my whites, but it's usually just a matter of heating something up in a pot or the microwave. (My housemate and I used to joke that I needed a ritual apron. :grin: )

This is for state rite, which I do in the evening after I get home from work. When I also do Senut in the mornings (right now I'm still trying to get back on schedule for that : / ), I do a more abbreviated purification where I get in the shower but just do the natron-water part without actually taking a shower. In both cases, I usually save a tiny bit of natron-water in the bottom of the glass in case of emergency repurification needs. (I've thought about saving some more water from the evening and using it to purify for Senut in the morning, but since my glass doesn't have a cover it might get dust or lint in it, or the cats might stick their faces in it. And anyway, I like to do the purification as part of the rite; I think it adds something.)

Senebty,

Shefyt
Shefytbast | daughter of Bast, beloved of Nut, Amun-Ra, and Wenut
Heri-sesheta Bast | Divinations
Blog: Gold of the Valley, Lapis of the River

Offline Iaityinepu

• Shemsu
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2010, 09:25:20 pm »
I don't have a bath in my house.  

I start my daily Senut with preparing my items (I have my offerings put on a table near my shrine, I lay out my whites and a focusing bracelet I wear only during Senut on my bed).

I make sure the clothes I am currently wearing are put away from my shrine (which is in my bedroom).  I then have a bowl that I use for mixing the natorn with Water.

I begin running the water in the shower and hold the bowl under the water while I read the water blessing over the running water and bowl.  I then bless the natron in my hand and mix it into the bowl of water.  I then wash myself in the shower using my had (or occasionally a facecloth) dipped into the bowl (which I keep in the shower with me, to the side of the running water)`.  I wash my from my face down, and then clean out my ears and nostrals.  I then take a mouthful of natrol-water mix into my mouth and swish/gargle and spit it out.  Any water I have remaining in the bowl I then pour over my body.

I then use a clean towel to dry myeslf and then walk naked to my whites (literally 2 steps away from my bathroom/ensuite).  

Sat Yinepu-Wepwawet Meryt Satet her Amun-Ra
Iait (with an i, not an L): Adoring

I offer affordable guidance readings, distant healing and developmental courses.  Please take a look - Readings by Caroline

Offline Asetwedjbai

• Divined Remetj
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2010, 11:32:11 pm »
Quote from: Arienihethert
...or I do senut with Wehebu immediately before or after school. She's really into "appreciating the gods" right now, so the schedule has gotten much more loose to accommodate her random urges for shrine time. As long as we can both reasonably meet purity standards, I don't mind the occasional surprise senut.

If Bu joins me, we get dressed first, then purify in a less elaborate way than the shower method. I also keep a spray bottle of pre-chanted-and-natroned water near the shrine for any emergency purification reinforcement needs. None of it's ideal, but these are the things that make getting to shrine possible in this house. :)

That sounds so cute/awesome :) I'm sure your Mother enjoys having Bu join in, even if the purification is a bit quicker.

I try to collect my offerings before I start getting ready, and I generally purify in the shower. The shower is a place where I often have sudden epiphanies or insights into things, even if I'm not getting ready for senut.

senebty, Wedjbai
Wedjbai
sat Aset
meryt Hethert, Wesir, Yinepu, Nut & Nebt-Het

Offline Shezatwepwawet

• Moderator (Kemetic Orthodox Q&A)
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2010, 06:38:33 am »
Arieni, I love the idea of having a spray bottle near the shrine. Might have to try that at some point.

My own ritual is similar to Sobeq's. It started when I wake up (fairly early, because I move slowly in the morning), go into the bathroom, do the purification heka, shower, then wash/rinse with the natron water. During the week, I go into the kitchen after to cook up breakfast and get that all together. Then it's into my room with shrine, uncover, and do the rite. Also, during the week I stay in my (blue) bathrobe, but neither Dad nor Seshat has ever voices an issue with this. When I do shrine on the weekends I do try to get into something white.

I originally decided to try doing Senut daily after Retreat in 2008 because I was simply curious how people managed to fit it in daily, especially w'abu. Now I am very glad to have started doing so, it really does make a positive difference in my day.
Senebty,
Zat (She who makes Sekhmet laugh)
Sau apprentice

Sat Wepwawet-Yinepu her Hekatawy Alexandros (AUS) meryt Seshat-Nit-Nebthet her Heru-wer

Offline HehiAset

• Shemsu
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2010, 08:36:52 am »
Hoteps All,
Because we needed a second toilet etc for guests, my shrine became a large imported garden shed. It is therefore all "set up" and several times or more during the week I go in to remove food, water and wine etc. Remove dishes, dry clean and return thenm and re-charge nite-lites as necessary.
Timing depends on weather and whether Elaine needs me with her dog-walking for an hour or more on very rough,volcanic tracks(she has bad arthritis in her knees). In summer it is very hot,humid,even in the shed by about 10am., and does not cool significantly till early morning. I could leave the door open in the late evening, put need privacy here and am highly alergic to "mossies".

I have 4  sets of whites, thanks to the ladies in my life! So I would not wear other clother except in emergency - a have to cover with a dressing gown to go to the shed else I'd stand out like a beacon for the curious all around!

I usually strip and go to the bathroom naked, do the heka over a jug of natron water - doesn't spill so easily or drop on marble tiled floor!

Then I shower (we don't have a bath) and finally use the natron water on all parts required and spill the rest over me. Finally I rinse off. Dry and don my whites, which I wash/iron myself to preserve purity.
I do Senut a minimum of once a week, but I also do "ad hoc" prayers every morning and evening.. I'd do Senut more often but we often have health appointments and generally life tries to get in the way, as it does for everyone.

I'd like to do it more frequently as:
 1. When one prays privately for folk, Senut seems the best time to do it (for effectiveness).
2. It makes me feel good (unless Mum Aset is annoyed about something I did/didn't do!

Senebty

Hehi

PS What do you all do with incense sticks? Presently I leave them to burn down, considering then like (say ) a bottle of wine to be the Netjer's once given. However I have to import,via visitors, in bulk from UK.There is no pure incense here.However id nipped out, like cancles,after use and then reused it would be much less costly. Any views?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by HehiAset »
Hehi

Sa Aset-Serqet,her Hekatawy1(AUS!)
meryt Hethert-Sekhmet her Yinepu-Wepwawet

Aset makes you bright,and makes  fair ways of vindication against your foes,and those who would have judgment against you in the realm of the dead"

Coffin Texts

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 2933
  • stats Total Posts: 286013
  • stats Total Topics: 19391
  • stats Total Categories: 8
  • stats Total Boards: 110
  • stats Most Online: 217
anything