collapse collapse

* Donation Status

51%
Current donation status as of October 18, 2021 = $1,830.69 of $2,500 or 73%
Donate!

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 27
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

Author Topic: How Do We Purify?  (Read 20866 times)

Offline Arienihethert

• Tawy Bak
  • W'ab (priest)
Re: How Do We Purify?
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2010, 09:15:14 am »
Quote from: Wedjbai
That sounds so cute/awesome :) I'm sure your Mother enjoys having Bu join in, even if the purification is a bit quicker.

She does! The cute does sometimes reach near-deadly levels at times. Last time we did senut together she asked all the gods if they would come to school to meet all her friends so that everyone could learn their names, and she is absolutely convinced that every day is "The Big One's" birthday (that's Mom, as her statue is the biggest).  It must be a hoot watching all this from the other side of the shrine. :)
Look out the window. And doesn't this remind you of when you were in the boat, and then later that night you were lying looking up at the ceiling, and the water in your head was not dissimilar from the landscape, and you think to yourself Why is it that the landscape is moving but the boat is still?

Offline Rev. Shefyt

• W'ab (priest)
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2010, 09:34:56 am »

Arieni: D'awwww! That's so awesome. (Now I'm picturing all the Gods at school. ^_^ )

Hehi: I think you could probably extinguish and relight the incense, as long as Aset doesn't seem to mind. Also, I don't know what kind of incense you use, but I use the Japanese "stick" incense that's all incense and no actual stick, and I often break them up into smaller pieces so they burn just as long as I expect to be in shrine. (Too much incense doesn't agree with me, so I try not to let my shrine room get too fogged up. :grin: )

Senebty,

Shefyt

Rev. Shefyt | daughter of Bast, beloved of Nut, Amun-Ra, and Wenut
Beginners Class Instructor | Heri-sesheta Bast | Divinations
Blog: Gold of the Valley, Lapis of the River

Offline The Tai'awepwawet System

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2010, 11:12:54 am »
Quote from: HehiAset
PS What do you all do with incense sticks? Presently I leave them to burn down, considering then like (say ) a bottle of wine to be the Netjer's once given. However I have to import,via visitors, in bulk from UK.There is no pure incense here.However id nipped out, like cancles,after use and then reused it would be much less costly. Any views?

I put them out (I have a bowl of sand I hold them in, so I just put the tip in that for a few seconds). Candles get blown out, water gets removed, I'm offering the *scent* not the stick itself so it gets put out and removed like everything else.

Plus I like to cover the shrine when I'm done, and I can't do that with a stick going. I would feel very uncomfortable leaving my shrine open for any reason.

@Coty: That is why I started using very hot water. It cools down while I shower, but is still perfectly warm. The first time I made the mistake of room-temp/not-hot-enough water and there was *much* swearing. I learned my lesson well :P
« Last Edit: March 20, 2010, 11:14:24 am by Taiawepwawet »
Tjema'awy/Isha (they) | Sekhemib/Selene (she)
𓇼𓃧𓇼
𓆫𓁴𓅊𓊿𓋌

Our Incense Spreadsheet

Offline Asetwedjbai

• Divined Remetj
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2010, 12:30:49 pm »
Quote from: Shefytbast
I use the Japanese "stick" incense that's all incense and no actual stick, and I often break them up into smaller pieces so they burn just as long as I expect to be in shrine. (Too much incense doesn't agree with me, so I try not to let my shrine room get too fogged up.]

I do exactly this, and no complaints ever from Aset about it.

saenebty, Wedjbai
Wedjbai
sat Aset-Amenti
meryt Hethert, Wesir, Yinepu, Nut &
Nebthet

Offline Taysatwesir

• Shemsu
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2010, 12:38:46 pm »
I don't do senut daily mostly because of my medical conditions and lack of privacy heh. When I get a chance I do senut in the afternoon or early evening because its the best time for me. I gather my offerings and other items I need ahead of time just so I won't dirty my ritiual whites. Then I purify in a bath just like Taji does, however I don't wash my hair, I either do that the day before or early in the morning so it has time to dry. I dry off and get into my ritiual whites in the bathroom then go straight to the shrine in my bedroom to do senut.

I had put all the offerings and ect. on the bed because I didn't have enough space in my room. Now that I've moved the shrine to a bookshelf/entertainment set I can put the offerings on the top shelf. Despite the electronics its the best place for the shrine cause it does not get distrubed by anyone or thing. Another plus is that all my statues are facing my bed so when I wake up in the morning I have these smiling face starring back like they are saying "O HAI, GOOD MORNING". Oh and since I do senut in the afternoon or early evening the light from the sun hits the statues and smoke from the incense in a cool way. :D
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Taysat »
Taysatwesir
This daughter of Wesir
sat Wesir as Ptah-Sokar-Wesir
meryt Mut, Ma'ahes, Bast, and Hethert-Sekhmet

Offline Bastmuttepta

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2010, 12:54:56 pm »
Em hotep all :)

My method of purification is pretty similar to a lot of yours. I get all of my offerings and such out before I purify so I don't have to wander all around the house. I also brush my teeth and get my contacts in before I do the whole process (so I can see and so I don't disgust myself with icky breath ;P). I fill a cup with some warm/hot water, bless the natron and water separately, then mix the natron together with the water in the cup. Then, I take the natron water and my ritual whites into the bathroom with me, hang them over the linen closet door (they get an extra "ghetto steam clean" from this, LOL), and take a shower. I clean myself up thoroughly, then gargle some of the natron water in my mouth while I splash some of it where needed, then pour the rest of it over my head. I towel dry off a good bit, then change right into my ritual whites. I brush my hair at this point- but I don't blowdry it. I do Senut with my hair wet and finish getting ready/blowdrying my hair and such afterwards.

I've been in kind of a weird funk lately so I've only been getting to do Senut about once a week, and it's been pretty inconsistent (day-wise). At one point I was in a really good routine of doing it 3-4 times a week: Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays before class, as well as one day on the weekend. Now it's just been Sundays for the most part :P I've been feeling pretty stressed out and I have a bit of a head cold at the moment so I'm taking it easy.

As for the whole re-using candles thing- I use tealights, which are REALLY cheap to begin with. They're regular paraffin tealights (eek gasp zomg unpure ;P) so you can get like 144 for 5  bucks or less at stores like Big Lots. I imagine once I go through the RPD and find out who my Parent(s) is/are They might bap me over the head and tell me to use something more pure, but I haven't gotten any complaints yet.

I am also not comfortable leaving things aflame when I'm not in shrine- so I put them out, and reuse them until I can't anymore. It's a general fire hazard and I'm pretty paranoid about that kind of thing. As far as incense goes, I use frankincense and myrrh cones. They don't burn TOO long, maybe 30 mins - 1 hr, so I usually let those go. They can do a good job of making my room smell pretty smokey though so I am looking for alternatives.

Senebty!

Laura
Bastmuttepta - "Bast-Mut since the beginning; Bast-Mut survives; Bast-Mut perpetuates" | Sat Bast-Mut her Nisut (AUS) Meryt Sekhmet-Hethert, Serqet-Aset, Mafdet, Sobek, her Ptah-Sokar-Wesir | Fedw Diviner for Bast-Mut

Offline HehiAset

• Shemsu
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2010, 01:57:33 pm »
Em Hotep, Sheft,Tai'a, *henu*

I've never heard of this Japanese stick incense but it sounds like a very good idea.

In Tenerife they only sell the Indian,impure,stuff. However I'll ask my UK visitor to investigate.

I too am not keen on leaving things alight, particularly in a wooden shed..but took Hemet's(AUS) advice a while ago and it burns in sand trays so even if it fell out it would do no damage!

However I had not thought of it like that, but you are so right it is the scent one is offering of course..so putting it out in the sand and re-using seems entirely reasonable to me.

Thank you both!

Hehi
Hehi

Sa Aset-Serqet,her Hekatawy1(AUS!)
meryt Hethert-Sekhmet her Yinepu-Wepwawet

Aset makes you bright,and makes  fair ways of vindication against your foes,and those who would have judgment against you in the realm of the dead"

Coffin Texts

Offline Taysatwesir

• Shemsu
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2010, 04:04:44 pm »
Hotep Laura!

I use secented and unscented soy or wax tealights candles. I do blow out the candles and reuse them esp. if they are expensive soy candles. The only incense I have right now is frankincense and myrrh resin. It can be pretty messy and time comsuming just lighting the coal to burn the resin. I hear Premium Oman Frankincense sticks are great cause they burn cleaner and can be broken in half. I'm also looking to try frankincense and myrrh cones do you have any suggestions Laura?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Taysat »
Taysatwesir
This daughter of Wesir
sat Wesir as Ptah-Sokar-Wesir
meryt Mut, Ma'ahes, Bast, and Hethert-Sekhmet

« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2010, 04:56:32 pm »
Quote from: Arienihethert
I also keep a spray bottle of pre-chanted-and-natroned water near the shrine for any emergency purification reinforcement needs. None of it's ideal, but these are the things that make getting to shrine possible in this house. :)

It may not be ideal, but it's pretty brilliant... lol

Quote from: HehiAset
PS What do you all do with incense sticks? Presently I leave them to burn down, considering then like (say ) a bottle of wine to be the Netjer's once given. However I have to import,via visitors, in bulk from UK.There is no pure incense here.However id nipped out, like cancles,after use and then reused it would be much less costly. Any views?

I've snuffed incense to reuse the sticks, but I don't prefer to do so.  My main reason is simply that I can't be keeping stuff burning in my room.  Cones I burn down because they haven't lasted as long as sticks.
Son of Set and Wepwawet-Yinepu.
Beloved of Sekhmet-Hethert, Heru-Wer, and Aset-Serqet.

Offline Padjaiemweru

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2010, 08:53:21 pm »
The incense I use is called Morning Star.  It is a Japanese style incense (no urea), and then entire stick is incense.  They come in a small box, about 25 sticks, and only cost about $2.50 for a box.  Each stick only lasts about 30 minutes, which is great for shrine or for anywhere else in the house, and they come in a variety of flavors (we have sandalwood, lavender, cinnamon, and amber scented ones currently).

When I purify (far less often than I aughta), I prepare the Natron and water mixture before I shower or bathe, and then use it to wash openings, faces, etc.  If I am in an area without easy access to showers (campgrounds, etc.), I use a spray bottle set to mist (it has only ever had natron and water in it.  DO NOT USE one that had chemicals like pesticides or plant food in them.) and use that to help wash.  I try to perform the ritual as soon as possible after cleansing, and usually in the evening rather than the morning.
Padjaiemweru
The Great Ones provide (for) me
Son of Bast-Mut and Heru-wer
Beloved of Sekhmet-Hethert, Seshat-Nit-Nebthet, and Set

Offline Rev. Shezatwepwawet

• W'ab (priest) - Moderator (Kemetic Orthodox Q&A)
« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2010, 12:39:52 pm »
I'm also a fan of Morning Star. In addition to the boxes of 50, the company also sells boxes of 200. I need to start getting these because some scents I go through VERY fast.
Senebty,
Zat (She who makes Sekhmet laugh)
Sau apprentice | Fedw | The Library | zat@kemet.org

Sat Wepwawet-Yinepu her Hekatawy Alexandros (AUS) meryt Seshat-Nit-Nebthet her Heru-wer her Aset-Serqet

« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2010, 12:51:39 pm »
my shrine is still packed away and i only recently found out what box my yinepu bronze was in .....so haven't done the rite in over 2 years.

but when i did it, i did it by the book.  the bath, a set aside set of white clohes for shrine, the whole thing.  i burned frankencene and myrrh on coals for incense in shrine.  Yinepu seemed to like that.

right now i have a cold, so don't care, but hoping to find the box with the statue and finnish setting up my shrine....i am using a new(200 year old) cabinet for the shrine...it has hinged doors and a shelf in it, it is about three feet tall and made of rosewood and from Japan.  i will put my bronze Yinepu statue in it soon as i unpack it.  :)
Some souls wear bodies like some people wear spandex: poorly.

Offline Rev. Shefyt

• W'ab (priest)
« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2010, 01:42:17 pm »
Quote from: Shezatwepwawet
I'm also a fan of Morning Star. In addition to the boxes of 50, the company also sells boxes of 200. I need to start getting these because some scents I go through VERY fast.

*nods* Morning Star is good, and so is Shoyeido. The latter has long sticks and shorter ones; a whole short one gets me through a full state rite, while half of a short one or a third of a long one is usually enough for me for Senut.

Senebty,

Shefyt

Rev. Shefyt | daughter of Bast, beloved of Nut, Amun-Ra, and Wenut
Beginners Class Instructor | Heri-sesheta Bast | Divinations
Blog: Gold of the Valley, Lapis of the River

« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2010, 08:32:22 pm »
I'm very lazy, mainly because I haven't had my beginners class yet and I'm still not sure if I can do senut without it being a big no no. I usually do it in a way less organized  way.I gargle salt water, then pore  the rest on my head during my shower. I go to my shrine, and say something along the lines of "thank you for being so patient, oh netjer. I will worship you now." I burn some incense, do a little meditating, read a prayer, sing a hymn Offer something.. Ect. The I kneel in fort of the shrine and say "thank you, I shall worship you again as soon as possible." and leave.... is that good?? or is it a BIG no-no...???

Offline Mesetibes

• W'ab (priest)
« Reply #29 on: April 06, 2010, 09:22:52 pm »
Emily,

Nope, that's pretty much the meat and potatoes of what we do in Senut. Once you get into the Beginner's class, you'll be shown the way we do Senut.
There's no sort of set standard in what you offer either, be it simple prayers, offerings, hymns or what have you. Just spending time in Netjer's presence is what matters the most. You're getting to know Netjer and Netjer's getting to know you.

~Maret
Rev. Mesetibes
Sat Heqat, meryt Djehuti her Ptah her Heru-wer
Fedw Diviner
2011 Wep Ronpet Frog Princess/
W'abet Nekhen Sha'a Sha'at Imef

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 3484
  • stats Total Posts: 303558
  • stats Total Topics: 21040
  • stats Total Categories: 9
  • stats Total Boards: 124