Register
collapse collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 66
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 5
  • Dot Users Online:

Author Topic: Have DNA tests proved Ankhenaten was Tutankhmun's father...  (Read 12014 times)

Offline Phoenix_Falls

• Divined Remetj
Re: Have DNA tests proved Ankhenaten was Tutankhmun's father...
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2010, 10:17:29 am »
I still think it's silly. It's not like people are going to stop going to Egypt if Tutankhamun is in his 20s. The man was already malarial, among a myriad of other medical problems which I'm assuming stem from his incestuous parentage. So what if he was five years older than what they say he was? I think that the release of information should trump any kind of tourist dog-and-pony show.

I feel that early in his career, Hawass was all about re-educating about Kemetic culture and was truly dedicated to the preservation of the found artifacts and the culture. These days, I'm not sure anymore. It's like there are echos of how he used to be and then he'll go and decide for everyone that we don't need to see the DNA results. It's not the CIA, the Egyptian economy isn't going to collapse, I don't know, I just think it's selfish to think of tourism dollars instead of knowledge when faced with something that's so pithy, it'll be forgotten by the mainstream in a month or two.

Then again, I've personally never been a fan of tourism lol
[color:red]"Ki'sommkiistomisam waamisookiiksisapooi" [/color]
My tumblr
[color:blue]Sat Wepwawet-Yinepu meryt Sekhmet-Hethert[/color]
Facebook

Offline NiankhSekhmet

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2010, 12:48:45 pm »
There is absolutely no denying that no one in the history of the office of the Director General of Antiquities, or indeed in most of 20th and 21st century history has done more for Egypt by getting back antiquties, stopping illegal black market trade, controlling the various digs etc.  as well as preserving Egyptian heritage and restoring their Nation's collective pride in that heritage than Zahi Hawass. I applaud him for that, truly.

The only other thing I will say is that Dr. Zahi Hawass is the most unrelenting, unabashed self-promoter im history since Rameses II.  ;)
NiankhSekhmet
Sat Sekhmet-Mut/HetHert
Meryt-Amun (Beloved of Amun)
Heri Seshta Sekhmet-Mut / HetHert

Offline Sedjemes

• Semer-Wati
  • Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2010, 01:07:41 pm »
Hotep!

I can't help thinking that, Zahi's attitude is at least in some part a reaction response to the decades of how the west sorta felt like it "owned" Egyptology and archaeology, e.g. taking artifacts out of the country, distilling its ancient history from the western standpoint as if the Egyptians had no part in it, etc. I mean--the west does have a rather unconscious way of being rather superior.

Even the whole King Tut context--there are those who want to use it as part of the Exodus tale, to talk about the rise of monotheism---and as we have been discussing, part of the whole "who is white and who is black" as if that should matter.

I really cannot wait for the new Cairo Museum to open--maybe it will start to quiet some of the feelings that Egypt should not own its own artifacts because it cannot maintain them well enough.
Khenmetaset ("Aset Gladdens")
Sedjemes ("She listens")
Daughter of Aset-Serqet, Meryt Ra her Sekhmet
Heri-Sesheta Aset-Serqet

« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2010, 01:15:01 pm »
LOL  Good one, KI Niankh.  :grin:

I saw a two-hour special a couple of months ago that dealt with the whole Ankhenaten-Tutankhamun DNA thing, and as I seem to recall, Dr. Hawass was crystal clear in his belief that they are father and son. Jumping to conclusions, or preserving the status quo? Either way, I'm with the majority opinion here in that I don't think that finding out otherwise would prove detrimental to interest (financial, touristic and otherwise) in Ancient Egypt.
Fate is the web we weave from the choices we make.

"'The only true wisdom consists in knowing that you know nothing.' That's us, dude!"  
              -Ted "Theodore" Logan, Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure

Offline NiankhSekhmet

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2010, 01:23:59 pm »
But Kai Imakhu Sedjemes....according to that *other* famous Egyptologist, Moustafa Goudalla, Tutankhamun and Jesus are the same guy!! ;)

Wait...then if Zahi Hawass' take on the DNA evidence is correct, well then that would mean......

(Sorry, I just had a Darth Vader / Luke Skywalker / Empire Strike Back moment!) ;)
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by NiankhSekhmet »
NiankhSekhmet
Sat Sekhmet-Mut/HetHert

Offline Bestekeni

• Semer-Wati
  • Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2010, 04:16:55 pm »
Quote from: Bennu
Jumping to conclusions, or preserving the status quo?  

Neither, I think.  I think he knows how to play public interest and the media. People like big, exciting proclamations... and public interest is essential for a country whose economy relies so heavily on tourism.
Fedw diviner for Bes
𓃀𓎂𓀭𓏏𓎡𓈖𓁐
Sat Bes her Hekatawy Alexandros (AUS)
Meryt Heru-wer her Amun-Ra her Bast

Offline Ankhetbast

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2010, 03:41:40 pm »
I've met Mr. Hawass once.  He's really quite ... sweet actually.  Very personable, and his passion for history is palpable!  As far as everything else, I don't know.  Just thought I'd mention.  LOL
~~~~Ankhetbast~~~~

Sat Bast her Hekatawy I (AUS), Meryt Serqet, Yinepu her HetHert

"Be excellent to each other." ~Bill and Ted

Offline NeferuHethert

• Rev. Barbara, Ordained Clergy, Semer-Wati
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2010, 01:16:29 pm »
Here's another article on the DNA tests and family relationships of King Tutankhamen, just released in National Geographic Magazine online:

King Tut's Family Secrets  

Enjoy!
Rev. NeferuHethert
Sat Hethert/Sekhmet, meryt Ra her Djehuty her Yinepu/Wepwawet
Heryt seshta and Mut-netjer Hethert 
𓉡

« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2010, 06:43:47 pm »
I actually have September's issue of National Geographic Magazine and it does state that Ankhenaten is Tutankhmun's father. They showed a photo of Ankhenaten's body and the only part of his body they have is the spine, the collarbone, the shoulder-blades, the arms, the neckbone, and his freaking skull. He's a skeleton, nothing like the royal mummies that are perfectly preserved. He's got his mouth opened, like he's screaming, and he's missing some teeth or most of his teeth are in bad shape.

They did a number on his body and I'm telling you I had nightmares about that body.    
I follow the rhythm of Egypt.

« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2010, 10:41:47 am »
I was so confused about what is said about all of this, so I began a little "investigation" of my own...here is what I've found out:

R1b haplogroup firstly appeared in the southern part of central Asia, in the part of the world we today call Iran, Turkeminstan or Uzbekistan...from there it spread to other parts of the world...one main branch of people carrying R1b haplogroup settled in western Europe, so it is now usual to call this haplogropu western european, like R1a eastern european or Slavic, I haplogroup Balkanic, J haplogroup Semitic or E haplogroup East African, depends on where it firstly appeared or where the most of inhabitants of certain part of the world carry it...
...but when this spread of the R1b people started, there was one branch of them who didn't carry on with the others towards Europe and decided to go different direction...so this branch entered the African continent passed through Egypt, the Nile valley, Sudan, and eventually found themselves in the central Africa, in the place we now call Cameroon..so it is very possible that someone from Egypt could have the R1b haplogroup, furthermore that even today you can find a lot of people carrying that haplogroup in Egyipt, especially on the south of Egypt where it is spread among almost 14% of population..

...and just one message to the Anglo-Saxon white supremacists...GTFO, your genetic picture is the same as to the black person from the middle of Africa...if there is someone in europe that can call him/herself Aryan, that are the Slavic people from the Eastern europe who carry R1a haplogroup, that is found, accept in eastern europe, mainly in north-western India...it mis maybe interesting that the main Egyptian haplogroup is E haplogroup, found in every country in the northern Africa, the most in the Morocco and Somalia...in Europe E haplogroup is found mainly on the Balkans, among Albanians, Macedionians, Bulgarians and Serbs...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Y-DNA_haplogroups_by_ethnic_groups

So mr. Hawass didn't show himself as the scientist in this case. He could just ask for an advice of any geneticist, but, in fact, he decided to prove that he is ppawn of the politics...not very scientific from you mr. Hawass...

Ankh em Ma'at!
« Last Edit: September 14, 2010, 11:07:30 am by Isisenu »
Isi-senu  
"Two are Ancient"

Sa Wesir her Nit-Nebthet-Seshat, mery Djehuty her Aset-Serqet

Offline Tanebet

• Rev Astrid - Ordained Clergy, Semer-Wati
« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2011, 03:11:01 pm »
Em Hotep *henu*

another article about the DNA-test, the article dounts the results   royal rumpusover king Tutankhamuns ancestry

Senebty
Tanebet

Tanebetheru "Heru's Lordship"
Sat Heru Sa Aset her Nisut (AUS), Meryt Ra-Heru-akhety her Heru-Behedety
Heri-Sesheta Heru-Sa-Aset

This is what I was born to: to live, to love, to know, to change and embrace the infinite.
Normandi Ellis: "Awakening Osiris"

Offline Sehedjef

• Rev. Sehedjef - Ordained Clergy - Semer-Wati
« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2011, 10:28:13 pm »
Hotep Tanebet!  *henu*

So....it looks like it's a possible maybe genetic confirmation unless someone objects (as opposed to a definite maybe)  ^_^  I'm glad they cleared this up for us so we can almost absolutely, positively rest assured that the nisut Tutankhamum (AUS) is most likely to definitely be someone's son.....unless the tests prove inconclusive (he might be a pod nisut! from another planet!)  O_o

Senebty,
Imti  (who rushed to hide the coke and cheetoes from scientists wanting to get a DNA sample for comparison)  ^_^
Rev. Sehedjef
(He shines with the beauty of the truth of his Mothers)
Sa Nebthet her Serqet
Mery Ptah her Tasenetnofret

Offline NiankhSekhmet

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2011, 08:29:24 pm »
I'm still not buying - just as many other egyptologists who have too many concerns and questions about the DNA testing that have not been answered are not buying it either.

My money is still on the table for Amenhotep III being Tutankhamun's father and Kiya was his mother. However, at the death of Amenhotep III, Amenhotep IV (Akhenaten) inherrited Kiya and the rest of his father's harem; hence the confusion to date over who Tut's father truly is.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by NiankhSekhmet »
NiankhSekhmet
Sat Sekhmet-Mut/HetHert

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 2934
  • stats Total Posts: 286156
  • stats Total Topics: 19403
  • stats Total Categories: 8
  • stats Total Boards: 110
  • stats Most Online: 217