collapse collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 66
  • Dot Hidden: 1
  • Dot Users: 2
  • Dot Users Online:

Author Topic: Zahi Hawass  (Read 9658 times)

Offline NeferuHethert

• Rev. Barbara, Ordained Clergy, Semer-Wati
Zahi Hawass
« on: May 30, 2010, 12:32:48 pm »
Em hotep!

Here's a link to a new article about Zahi Hawass, that ubiquitous head of the Supreme Council of Antiquities who is always in the news. There are some interesting comments about his quest for the repatriation of artifacts, and the impact he has had on the attitude of modern-day Egyptians towards their ancient heritage.

http://www.spiegel.de/international/zeitgeist/0,1518,697174,00.html

Enjoy!
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by NeferuHethert »
Rev. NeferuHethert
Sat Hethert/Sekhmet, meryt Ra her Djehuty her Yinepu/Wepwawet
Heryt seshta and Mut-netjer Hethert 
𓉡

Offline NiankhSekhmet

• Shemsu-Ankh
Re: Zahi Hawass
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2010, 01:18:22 pm »
An excellent article, Kai Imakhu Neferu! Thank you for sharing it. :)
NiankhSekhmet
Sat Sekhmet-Mut/HetHert
Meryt-Amun (Beloved of Amun)
Heri Seshta Sekhmet-Mut / HetHert

Offline Senushemi

• Forum Moderator (Beginners' Forums)
  • Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2010, 06:57:48 pm »
Great fun to read.  The paragraph about Zahi sniffing the mummy of Rameses I is vintage Zahi, to me.
Sat Bast her Djehuty meryt Sekhmet
Fedw Diviner for Djehuty and Bast
Self-Care Sekhmet Advocate
Proud waver of the "senu" flag.
senushemi@gmail.com

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2010, 03:54:36 am »
I don't like that guy...I find him an obstacle for explorations of any kind that are not his idea. Although he has done a lot in preserving of old monumments for future generation.
Isi-senu  
"Two are Ancient"

Sa Wesir her Nit-Nebthet-Seshat, mery Djehuty her Aset-Serqet

Offline Sehedjef

• Rev. Sehedjef - Ordained Clergy - Semer-Wati
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2010, 07:37:49 am »
Thanks for the article KI Neferu!  ^_^

Zahi is definitely a polarizing figure.  Flamboyant and a nuisance, but he does get results when it comes to getting cultural artifacts back from other countries, regardless of how they were obtained.

Senebty,
Imti

Rev. Sehedjef
(He shines with the beauty of the truth of his Mothers)
Sa Nebthet her Serqet
Mery Ptah her Tasenetnofret

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2010, 09:03:55 pm »
Em Hotep!

For anyone interested he has a show on the History Channel (which airs in Wednesday nights) called "Chasing Mummies".  I've watched a little but found his attitude towards his students to be somewhat patronizing because he makes remarks about their personalities which are slightly insulting. Nevertheless there is some interesting commentary on how he does what he does and footage of different tombs and what an egyptologist's job is comprised of.

Senebty,
"Do not be arrogant because of your knowledge, but confer with the ignorant man as with the learned. For knowledge has no limits, and none has yet achieved perfection in it." - The Maxims of Pthahotep

Son of Hethert-Mut/Heru-Wer Beloved of Yinepu, Set and Djehuty

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2010, 10:13:45 pm »
I have been following this series with great interest.  Last night we went into the fifth program, I think.

Over the weeks we watched a special student, one of a few students who were to intern with Zahi Hawass for six months.

We saw a girl named Zoe, whom Dr. Hawass calls Zowie, and who calls Dr. Hawass, Dr. Hawash, get caught by a rock on her foot under the step pyramid the first week, and then go on to involuntarily piddle in the King's chamber of the Great Pyramid the second week.

Next came the raising from part of Cleopatra's pylon from the bay in Alexandria, followed by the repatriation of a part of an offering table from Karnak.

Each week there is a little less hollering and insulting going on and a bit more substance to the show.  It is worth it to watch it if only to see little known areas like the basement of the Cairo Museum.

Offline NiankhSekhmet

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2010, 01:17:02 am »
Zahi Hawass is a showman, a scholar, he is responsible for the cultural heritage of his country  - which we all love, and he can be a real jerk at times.  It's a given that in order to get anything done in Egypt, you have to play ball with Zahi, or you aren't playing - end of story. He is extremely opinionated, his office is sitting on probably ten years worth of "discoveries" that Zahi releases only when he believes he isn't getting enough eyeballs on himself and his endeavors.  And yet, he has done more toward making Egyptians proud of their own heritage, gotten valuable artifacts back from museums via any means available including blackmailing France into giving back some of the objects in the Louvre.

I'm just curious as to whether anyone actually done an iography on the man?  That might prove to be quite interesting to say the least! Gee, I wonder if Zahi would cooperate? He just might, given his penchant for unabashed self-promotion! ;)
NiankhSekhmet
Sat Sekhmet-Mut/HetHert
Meryt-Amun (Beloved of Amun)
Heri Seshta Sekhmet-Mut / HetHert

Offline Linda

• Remetj
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2010, 04:37:29 am »
I wonder if the series will be shown in the UK? I'd love to watch it, so I'll have to keep a close lookout for it on the History Channel (and keep my fingers crossed!). :grin:
You don't know what you can do until you try.

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2010, 05:23:59 am »
Em Hotep:

You could always go to Hulu.com and watch it for free.  It helps if you have a broadband connection.
Here's the link:   Chasing Mummies

Senebty
"Do not be arrogant because of your knowledge, but confer with the ignorant man as with the learned. For knowledge has no limits, and none has yet achieved perfection in it." - The Maxims of Pthahotep

Son of Hethert-Mut/Heru-Wer Beloved of Yinepu, Set and Djehuty

Offline Tanebet

• Rev Astrid - Ordained Clergy, Semer-Wati
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2010, 05:32:53 am »
Unfortunately Hulu often doesn't work for people outside the US
Tanebetheru "Heru's Lordship"
Sat Heru Sa Aset her Nisut (AUS), Meryt Ra-Heru-akhety her Heru-Behedety
Heri-Sesheta Heru-Sa-Aset

This is what I was born to: to live, to love, to know, to change and embrace the infinite.
Normandi Ellis: "Awakening Osiris"

Offline Linda

• Remetj
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2010, 12:37:26 pm »
I'm sure that it'll come on the History Channel in UK some time. :) At least now I know what to look out for.
You don't know what you can do until you try.

Offline NeferuHethert

• Rev. Barbara, Ordained Clergy, Semer-Wati
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2010, 02:34:04 pm »
I agree with everything you've said about Zahi, Kai-Imakhu. He is extremely charismatic (I've seen him speak in person) and is *quite* the showman. It must not be easy working with him, though.

Rev. NeferuHethert
Sat Hethert/Sekhmet, meryt Ra her Djehuty her Yinepu/Wepwawet
Heryt seshta and Mut-netjer Hethert 
𓉡

Offline Sedjemes

• Semer-Wati
  • Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2010, 02:52:44 pm »
Hotep!

I actually would love meeting Zahi in person some day and listening to him talk about his passion for Egypt and its archaeology.
Khenmetaset ("Aset Gladdens")
Sedjemes ("She listens")
Daughter of Aset-Serqet, Meryt Ra her Sekhmet
Heri-Sesheta Aset-Serqet

« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2010, 03:20:14 pm »
I know at one point, many years ago, Dr. Hawass taught a class in Egyptology at UCLA. Wonder if he'd ever consider doing so again.

[color:red]

DuatSekhmet She Who Worships Sekhmet
Sat Sekhmet, Meryt Set[/color]

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 2934
  • stats Total Posts: 286154
  • stats Total Topics: 19403
  • stats Total Categories: 8
  • stats Total Boards: 110
  • stats Most Online: 217
anything