collapse collapse

* Donation Status

37%   Current donation status as of January 22, 2021 = $932 of $2,500 (37%)   Donate!

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 34
  • Dot Hidden: 1
  • Dot Users: 2
  • Dot Users Online:

Author Topic: High-maintenance Names?  (Read 25466 times)

High-maintenance Names?
« on: June 27, 2010, 07:24:14 am »
Hotep everyone!

I'm curious to know if any of you have relationships with Netjeru that you would consider somewhat "high maintenance" in some way or another - more offerings, more attention, more music, more consideration, more walks in the park, more Tootsie Rolls, whatever.

In my own experience, Set is a very powerful and very jealous Name who demands to be Number One and nothing else. He tolerates my honouring other Names as long as he's ALWAYS honoured first beyond all others, but He won't suffer any other Name in His "personal space" in my shrine. I had to give Him an entire shelf to Himself after a badly bungled attempt at giving Geb equal honours on said shelf resulted in things going up in smoke and hot wax burning bare skin.  :cry:

Geb couldn't care less about being honoured first, second or twenty-second, but with Set, it matters very much. In this way, He is high maintenance. I always have to keep Him in mind first and foremost before all other Names.
Fate is the web we weave from the choices we make.

"'The only true wisdom consists in knowing that you know nothing.' That's us, dude!"  
              -Ted "Theodore" Logan, Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure

Offline Menekh

Re: High-maintenance Names?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2010, 01:09:33 pm »
Em Hotep.

I, myself, often wonder if the names of netjer see it the other way around.  They certainly don't shy away from relationships with high maintenance humans.  I think we often learn far more about ourselves from our relationships with them than we do about them.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2010, 01:14:01 pm by Menekh »
"One does not beg the sun for mercy."
- Frank Herbert

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2010, 06:44:00 pm »
I totally agree with you, Menekh, that we learn more about ourselves through our relationships with the Names of Netjer. I would have to say that I'm a "me first" kind of person - no surprise the affinity with Set in that respect.  :whistle: And through my relationship with Geb I'm learning to be more grounded and find simple ways to share more with others.

So yeah... maybe it's ME who is high maintenance....  :o

"'The only true wisdom consists in knowing that you know nothing.' That's us, dude!"  

Offline Menekh

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2010, 06:50:02 pm »
well, welcome to my club. i'm certainly not innocent at times.... :)
"One does not beg the sun for mercy."
- Frank Herbert

Offline Devo

• Remetj
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2010, 09:05:00 am »
For me, it was Setekh. At least, at first. When I first started working with him, he wanted his own shrine area- compeltely separate from all of the other deities in my household. They needed to be (pretty much) on opposite sides of the room. And he also wanted to be visible from pretty much anywhere in the house.

However, lately, he's been okay with sharing space with some other deities (Anpu and Wpwt). I'm not sure if this is due to him relaxing about it, or if he understands that I'm no longer living in my own house, and don't have my own space to place deities everywhere. Either way, I would agree he can be very high maintenance when he wants to be.

-Devo
dA | FB | Tumblr | WP

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2010, 09:23:54 am »
Aset.
Timu

Sat Aset, meryt Wepwawet her Renenutet

Offline Enbibibast

• Shemsu
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2010, 09:57:17 am »
Out of my own line up, Sekhmet, because She has the greatest demands of purity in all things I do for Her, and Wepwawet, as He's always negotiating with me for things I ask of Him. Everyone else is mercifully very laid back. ;)
Enbibibast | Bibi
Daughter of Bast
Beloved of | Wepwawet-Yinepu | Djehuty | Sekhmet-Hethert | Heru-wer |
Tumblr

Offline TahekerutAset

• Shemsu
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2010, 11:03:48 am »
Aset is like that.  She's doesn't tend to share Her shrine space and wants to honored first and foremost.  
TahekerutAset "Aset's Jewel"
Sat Aset
Meryt Nebet Het, Wepwawet, Sekhmet-Mut, Ra, Mut her Bast-Mut

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2010, 11:48:48 am »
She "tolerates" *smaller* (much smaller-as in small votive size) statues of Sekhmet and Bast, but that's it. In fact, She's got an entire room...  ;  )

But I find that she does enjoy alot of attention.

Timu

Sat Aset, meryt Wepwawet her Renenutet

Offline Devo

• Remetj
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2010, 12:05:17 pm »
I think it's a matter of how involved Aset is with you. For me, she prefers to be next to Asar, as opposed to by herself.

In my case, she's more okay with who is in the altar case with her, though she seems to want him there, above all else. Only Setekh has ever been "ME ONLY!" about the altar case/space.

-Devo
dA | FB | Tumblr | WP

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2010, 12:27:47 pm »
Ah, so I'm not the only one whose relationships with one Name or another can be considered demanding/high maintenance. In light of what Menekh said, I wonder if at least part of the reason would be because we ourselves are "high-maintenance" in some aspect of our lives or another. I'm pretty sure I'm a fairly high-maintenance kind of person - not in the Barbie Doll sense, but in the "needs constant change and variety and is never quite entirely satisfied with the way things are" sense.

Or not. Maybe it's just Set being a self-centered, jealous territorial Name with a slightly overinflated ego. Kinda like ... me...  :eek:

Menekh, I think you're really on to something here.

Offline Devo

• Remetj
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2010, 12:36:44 pm »
I can, and can't, see that being a possibility. The main reason being that I (like you) like constant change (heh, which is probably why Setekh hangs around). However, when I want change, I change up the case that I keep my gods in... not so much make them separate. That, and he wants to be kept separate, but no one else out of the group of deities I work with has that request... so it's hard to say which it is.

-Devo
dA | FB | Tumblr | WP

Offline TahekerutAset

• Shemsu
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2010, 01:24:56 pm »
Quote from: Ara
She "tolerates" *smaller* (much smaller-as in small votive size) statues of Sekhmet and Bast, but that's it. In fact, She's got an entire room...  ;  )

But I find that she does enjoy alot of attention.

I agree with you here.  This would also depend on how much room is available for a shrine.  In my experience as well, She definitely enjoys receiving attention.  :-)
TahekerutAset "Aset's Jewel"
Sat Aset
Meryt Nebet Het, Wepwawet, Sekhmet-Mut, Ra, Mut her Bast-Mut

Offline Zef

• Shemsu
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2010, 04:58:00 pm »
Set is the only Name that's ever -demanded- offerings. The first time it happened, I was all '...um...h-h-h-ere is some drink Mr. Set, Sir. D:'
Yinepudjesef
Sa Yinepu-Wepwawet, mery Set, Sokar, her Sobek.

« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2010, 05:43:21 pm »
Quote from: Acid
Set is the only Name that's ever -demanded- offerings. The first time it happened, I was all '...um...h-h-h-ere is some drink Mr. Set, Sir. D:'

LOL "Mr. Set."  :D  In my case, He didn't demand his shelf space directly and outright, but as I was cleaning the shelf off to make room for Geb next to Set, a familiar voice kept going around in my head, admonishing me with an amused chuckle, "I wouldn't do that if I were you... this is my space... you're not gonna like it if you try to make me share my space with someone else..."  :/  

Yeah. Set gets a BIIIIIG kick out of smirking....

* Most Recent Topics

topic RPD Scheduled!
[[PUBLIC] FAQ: RPD (Rite of Parent Divination)]
Emsenet
Today at 04:50:32 pm
topic Hi everyone!!!!
[[PUBLIC] Welcome!]
Rev. Raheri
January 19, 2021, 02:23:16 pm
topic WANT TO SEE YOUR SHRINE PICTURES
[[PUBLIC] Kemetic Orthodox Q&A]
Nesertem
January 18, 2021, 12:28:17 am
topic What is your favorite story?
[[PUBLIC] All Things Egypt: Ancient & Modern History and Culture]
Asethepetwi
January 17, 2021, 11:39:43 pm
topic Is Horus Greco Roman?
Taji
January 17, 2021, 07:37:34 am
topic Status Report-Half Year-Special Fundraising Campaigns
[[PUBLIC] Fundraising Announcements]
Tatuayinepu
January 17, 2021, 01:28:52 am
topic Current Fundraising/Donations status, January 16, 2021
[[PUBLIC] Fundraising Announcements]
Tatuayinepu
January 16, 2021, 01:55:14 am
topic Affection for a deity that you do not know
[[PUBLIC] Netjer (Our Gods & Goddesses)]
Sobekemiti
January 15, 2021, 06:28:59 am
topic Ra UPG
[[PUBLIC] Netjer (Our Gods & Goddesses)]
Tahai
January 13, 2021, 09:07:31 pm
topic Em hotep!
[[PUBLIC] Welcome!]
mercymagpie
January 13, 2021, 05:03:13 pm
topic The 42 Purifications
[[PUBLIC] Kemet Today - Rev. Tamara's Blog & Podcast]
Yinepuemsaes
January 13, 2021, 11:44:07 am
topic Em Hotep, everyone!
[[PUBLIC] Welcome!]
Nesertem
January 12, 2021, 07:22:57 pm
topic Upcoming virtual lectures in Egyptology!
Rev. Shezatwepwawet
January 09, 2021, 01:38:54 pm
topic Hello Everyone!!
[[PUBLIC] Welcome!]
Senuwierneheh
January 07, 2021, 09:49:17 am

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 3335
  • stats Total Posts: 300142
  • stats Total Topics: 20632
  • stats Total Categories: 8