Register
collapse collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 48
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 6
  • Dot Users Online:

Author Topic: Scary Netjeru  (Read 94729 times)

Offline Niheri

• Shemsu
Re: Scary Netjeru
« Reply #60 on: July 26, 2010, 01:34:15 pm »
Thankyou, everyone! It's nice to feel welcomed :).

I can't do the "quote" thing, my computer skills not being that advanced, (despite my age!), but whoever said that this may be the "it" could well be right. If I can only get the machine to send my application in, I could be joining in properly. soon...

Set seems to have disappeared, or backed off, at the moment. I feel a bit lost without him!

Daughter of Wepwawet-Yinepu

Beloved of Set and Amun-Ra.

« Reply #61 on: July 26, 2010, 07:13:09 pm »
Quote from: Jet

I can't do the "quote" thing, my computer skills not being that advanced, (despite my age!), but whoever said that this may be the "it" could well be right. If I can only get the machine to send my application in, I could be joining in properly. soon...

Set seems to have disappeared, or backed off, at the moment. I feel a bit lost without him!

I know what you mean about feeling a bit unsettled without Set around. Since I've decided to accept the offer to join the Beginner's class, I've sensed all the Names of Netjer quietly recede and take a sabbatical on me - which is actually a good thing, since we're encouraged when we first join to try to detach ourselves a bit from the Names we've grown attached to. It's not necessarily easy, but I know that Set, Ma'ahes and the other Names are still there, even if it feels like They're not. I trust that They all know what's best for me, and right now that's being open to Netjer without my nose stuck to particular Netjeru.  :)

About the "quote" feature, all you have to do is click on the word "Quote." The next screen will show the post you're quoting. You then just move your cursor so that it blinks on the next line immediately below the last closing square bracket [] and start typing. Hope that helps.  :)

Oh, and the "it" thing... that was me.  :whistle:  :grin:
Fate is the web we weave from the choices we make.

"'The only true wisdom consists in knowing that you know nothing.' That's us, dude!"  
              -Ted "Theodore" Logan, Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure

Offline Senneferet

« Reply #62 on: August 16, 2010, 07:52:05 am »
For me it's not so much fear but intimidation. I am intimidated by Sekhmet. I feel like She doesn't want me hanging round much, like She's one of the cool older kids in school and I'm a geeky little first year. She's got much more important things to do than worry about me.

Strangely, Set is one of the ones I get on with the best. He is always loving, if a little cheeky, when He appears to me in my dreams. There is no fear, just overwhelming awe.

Offline ubenetsenu

• W'ab Priest - Lay Clergy
« Reply #63 on: August 16, 2010, 12:48:09 pm »
Quote from: Senneferet
For me it's not so much fear but intimidation. I am intimidated by Sekhmet. I feel like She doesn't want me hanging round much, like She's one of the cool older kids in school and I'm a geeky little first year. She's got much more important things to do than worry about me.

ha!  that's how i felt at first.  look out. ;)
ubenetsenu - "two appear shining"
sat Sekhmet-Mut her Khonsu
meryt Wesir her Serqet-Aset
𓁴𓁳
tarot and heka by request

Offline Sehedjef

• Rev. Sehedjef - Ordained Clergy - Semer-Wati
« Reply #64 on: August 16, 2010, 01:00:47 pm »

Hotep Senneferet!  *henu*

I have gotten the unspecified annoyance from Sekhmet in the past as well.  I've found it has to do with inappropriate behavior (in my case keeping folks at arms legnth emotionally out of fear of being hurt).  Once you are able to face whatever it is She's not happy about and begin to deal with it, you'll find being in Her presence much more enjoyable.  ^_^

Senebty,
Imti
Rev. Sehedjef
(He shines with the beauty of the truth of his Mothers)
Sa Nebthet her Serqet
Mery Ptah her Tasenetnofret

« Reply #65 on: August 17, 2010, 07:29:55 am »
Hurr... I don't think that I'm scared of any, so much. I am apprehensive toward ... well, all of them, as a general sort of default behaviour. I suppose it's a ... defense / respect reaction. I respect them as deities and so feel apprehensive about making a blunder, and so I become defensive and keep my distance and then ... well-hey. Apprehension to get anything started in case they get cranky over my avoiding them in the first place. >__>

Offline NiankhSekhmet

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #66 on: August 18, 2010, 07:38:09 am »
Em hotep Senneferet!

Well, that's part of the Sekhmet mystique. If you have enough chutzpah to look Her bravado in the face and not run in the other direction, then it pays off infinite rewards. Sekhmet is not a warm, fluffy extra-large kitty Goddess. A good, healthy dose of respect is always a wise thing to have with Sekhmet - or any of the Other Names of Netjer.

However, there are few Other of the Names that can match Sekhmet's tenacity and strength and upholding Ma'at itself.  If you call on Her for protection, you will get it - and you may get having to face things that you don't necessarily want to, but need to. She is short, sweet and very much to the point. Some see that trait as "impatience". For Sekhmet, I think it's rather much more about being efficient and effective and of course, appropriate in what you say and do.

As for age, that really is all relative. I'm 48. We have all ages here - one of our newest priests is your age in reverse (74). You come to your spirituality when you come to it. It doesn't make any bit of difference in the scheme of things when that is in chonological years.

Senebty!
« Last Edit: August 18, 2010, 08:26:15 am by NiankhSekhmet »
NiankhSekhmet
Sat Sekhmet-Mut/HetHert
Meryt-Amun (Beloved of Amun)
Heri Seshta Sekhmet-Mut / HetHert

« Reply #67 on: August 18, 2010, 07:49:11 am »
Quote from: NiankhSekhmet

However, there are few Other of the Names that can match Sekhmet's tenacity and strength and if you call on Her for protection, you will get it -

Senebty!

I would have to agree with this. Much as I don't really have much contact with Sekhmet, there have been times when I've asked for protection, and I kind of instinctually, by default, automatically prayed to Her. I have always felt Her when I have done that. She really is pretty awesome and I'm SURE that I will be getting to know Her better in time. Both Her and Bast are already in my shrine, and I've felt that They are always there if I need Them.
Timu

Sat Aset, meryt Wepwawet her Renenutet

Offline Senneferet

« Reply #68 on: August 18, 2010, 05:13:15 pm »
I think the impatience with Them is that They can see the end result, They know we are capable of doing x, y or z and They just want us to get on with it and grow. Perhaps it's a little frustration at our 'human-ness' as well.

I get on very well with Set and have never feared Him. He knows I love and respect Him and seems to enjoy it. I don't get the feeling of Him being selfish but why wouldn't the gods want a little in return? They're not here to serve us. Also, when the dust has settled, so to speak, I always realise that most things are not for His benefit but for mine. Set and many others have steep learning curves

Edit: plus I am really flaky with offerings. I owe Wepwawet-Yinepu TONS for the things He has done for me but I never get round to it. Set, on the other hand, would want payment up front or suffer the consequences....He's such a loan shark lol!
« Last Edit: August 18, 2010, 05:15:12 pm by Senneferet »

Offline Niheri

• Shemsu
« Reply #69 on: August 25, 2010, 04:02:31 pm »
Quote from: Bennu
Quote from: Jet

I know what you mean about feeling a bit unsettled without Set around. Since I've decided to accept the offer to join the Beginner's class, I've sensed all the Names of Netjer quietly recede and take a sabbatical on me - which is actually a good thing, since we're encouraged when we first join to try to detach ourselves a bit from the Names we've grown attached to. It's not necessarily easy, but I know that Set, Ma'ahes and the other Names are still there, even if it feels like They're not. I trust that They all know what's best for me, and right now that's being open to Netjer without my nose stuck to particular Netjeru.  :)
Thankyou, Bennu - that was helpful advice. I know clinging to the Names I've got so far maybe not a good thing and will try to keep an open mind.
(And, if this works!, you just taught me how to do the "qoute" thing :).

About the "quote" feature, all you have to do is click on the word "Quote." The next screen will show the post you're quoting. You then just move your cursor so that it blinks on the next line immediately below the last closing square bracket [] and start typing. Hope that helps.  :)

Oh, and the "it" thing... that was me.  :whistle:  :grin:

Offline Niheri

• Shemsu
« Reply #70 on: August 25, 2010, 04:07:41 pm »
Well, I tried with the quote thingy, and all it's done is get mine and Bennu's bits mixed up - Sorry. (If it's any consolation, Bennu, I had a cat called Phoenix, who I still miss...
I agree totally with the "clean slate" attitude, when I do the Beginner's course. After all, it's unlikely I'll lose a beloved, and I may gain a surprising parent, who knows@

« Reply #71 on: September 03, 2010, 08:47:35 pm »
For me, it's Set.  He just freaks me the hell out.  I feel like Set makes me confront some things in my life that I'd rather not face or deal with.  Like being raped (sorry if this is too personal).  The other deities will be supportive and comforting, but Set demands that I deal with the anger that I always try to bury.

He's like the maddening itch of poison ivy before the soothing relief of calamine lotion.  

Deep into the darkness, peering
     long I stood there wondering, fearing,
Doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal
     ever dared to dream before.

- Edgar Allan Poe, "The Raven"

Offline Khesretitui

• Shemsu
« Reply #72 on: September 03, 2010, 08:52:25 pm »
He's the doctor with the bitter pill that will save your life, or, at times, he's the one who'll chop off a gangrenous limb to save the rest of the body. Such is my experience, anyhow.
Khesretitui
"My Fathers Dispel Evil"

Sat Set her Ra-Heruakhety
Meryt Heru-wer her Yinepu-Wepwawet

« Reply #73 on: September 03, 2010, 09:04:05 pm »

Jet, does this mean you had trouble sending in your application?  I'm asking because my computer won't let me send the application in and I desperately want to take the beginner's course, too!
« Last Edit: September 03, 2010, 09:07:28 pm by Denderah »

« Reply #74 on: September 03, 2010, 09:15:01 pm »
Quote from: Khesretitui
He's the doctor with the bitter pill that will save your life, or, at times, he's the one who'll chop off a gangrenous limb to save the rest of the body. Such is my experience, anyhow.

Yes. This is it exactly.

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 3131
  • stats Total Posts: 294071
  • stats Total Topics: 20035
  • stats Total Categories: 8
  • stats Total Boards: 113