collapse collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 86
  • Dot Hidden: 1
  • Dot Users: 5
  • Dot Users Online:

Author Topic: Scary Netjeru  (Read 91799 times)

Re: Scary Netjeru
« Reply #90 on: November 30, 2010, 07:53:13 am »
Vega,

I totally understand your feelings there, Aset especially (I have no relationship with the other 2 you mentioned) can be awe-inspiring. However, it's good to keep in mind that She IS a queen who gave birth in a swamp, totally shapeshifts into whatever She wants to, and is a Netjeret of magic. She is a queen FOR the people, and beautiful and remote as She can be, She also has Her moments of gettin' "down and dirty" as it were.

She does demand alot from people, but She is one for whom you *want* to be better, and that's something....
Timu

Sat Aset, meryt Wepwawet her Renenutet

Offline Sedjemes

• Semer-Wati
  • Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #91 on: November 30, 2010, 07:57:48 am »
Hotep :)

My sister Timu has described Aset quite well there. I will add just one thing for clarification:

Aset, at least in my experience, already thinks Her children (in fact, I would add that She also thinks that every child of Netjer whether those are children/devotees of Bast, Set, Wesir, etc etc) are awesome and smart and eminently capable of doing great stuff. What She expects is that *we* figure out we are truly awesome. She already knows it. She isn't waiting for us to improve, except, and only, in the sense that we open our eyes and see ourselves as She does.

One can ask oneself "why me?"  And the answer generally always tends to be something that boils down to "why not you?"
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Sedjemes »
Khenmetaset ("Aset Gladdens")
Sedjemes ("She listens")
Daughter of Aset-Serqet, Meryt Ra her Sekhmet
Heri-Sesheta Aset-Serqet

« Reply #92 on: December 01, 2010, 09:06:32 am »
Quote from: Jet
I actually almost physically "shy away" from Aset. She just seems really disapproving...

Ahhh....scary Mommy...lol. Why would you say She seems disapproving Jet?
Timu

Sat Aset, meryt Wepwawet her Renenutet

Offline AlluriaSong

• Remetj
« Reply #93 on: December 06, 2012, 09:44:01 pm »
I may be just a guest right now, but I've never really felt afraid of any of the Netjer. They have the potential to be absolutely terrifying, but I can also sense Their great love for us. Sometimes, They'll push us around a little bit, but it's more of a constructive thing in my eyes. They want us to be at our best, because we are like Them. They can see our potential, and want to help us achieve it.

Although I do feel hugely respectful towards all of them, some of them I really respect too much to really bother with my trivial concerns. Mainly Osiris and Ra. Osiris is just so awesomely cool, and I don't want to annoy Him with my issues, and Ra... I just can't really wrap my head around talking to Him. I greet Him at the sunrise, and I thank Him for nice weather, but just hanging out? No way...

And just to throw in my opinion on Heru, I usually see Him as 20-something, like a college bro without being a jerk. He could easily fit into any fraternity, captain the football team or whatever, but He's never, ever treated me like most jocks treat girls. He may tease me a little bit, but He's always been exceedingly gentle and loving, and has been known to lend me a little strength and courage when things get awful for me (which they frequently do. I guess He just knows I need a little extra encouragement.)

(All UPG, of course. ^^)

« Reply #94 on: December 13, 2012, 03:10:53 pm »
Before I get started let me say that I haven't been having a very good month so far so if I'm offensive I'm sorry.

I don't particularly fear any of the Netjeru but I have a very adversarial relationship with Set. Now I'm not saying that he is evil, he serves a necessary role but there must be balance with what he does, Anyone with the ability to both spiritually and literally look beyond themselves (IMO something that Set himself and many of his children lack, sorry)should be able to see that the world is out of balance and Set's trademarks are running rampant.Look at the world. Chaos, decay and might makes right rule and anyone who can't or won't play the game get crushed. Selfishness and Ruthlessness are quietly exalted While putting others before yourself will get you a public pat on the head and a private knife in the back. Until balance is restored I will fight tooth and nail against his influence.

I don't know, maybe I have just had an incredibly unlucky run at life, always in the wrong place and the wrong time but I doubt it and I'm not the only one. They say that Set puts challenges in your path to make you grow stronger, if so he has put the entire world as we know it in mine and even if it will make me stronger I will not thank him for it because I've seen far too many people hurt, particularly the weak and innocent, by his "challenges".

I know that this stance won't make me popular and I don't care. A little Set is necessary but IMO he has gotten out of control for some reason beyond my full understanding and until he is brought to heel or some "great revelation" is made to me, that is were I stand.

I intentionally avoided the word Evil because I know there are more Malign things out there than him and he does some good in his own way. Look at it this way if you saw a person that stood for all the things Set does and acts them out you would think they were a pretty horrible person. Because Set is a God he may be entitled to do so but I'm not going to think any better of him. Am I right in all of this? probably not. But this is what life has dealt me so far and I'm only a human trying to better myself and the world around me and if I am being unjust I will one day have to answer to Wesir for it and I accept that.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Solar_powered »

Offline Tif

• Remetj
« Reply #95 on: December 13, 2012, 11:16:11 pm »
Solar_powered, I get where you're coming from. I used to think of Set in that capacity as well.

UPG here, but I tend to think of Set as the one at the brink of chaos. That is, he's the one who can align with chaos or order at his whim. Such an ability makes him dangerous, for sure. It also gives him great power because he knows the "language" of chaos. He knows its many names.

After working with Set for a couple of months, I began to see that the chaos that tries to utterly destroy--the chaos behind the most vicious wars, rapacious disease, etc--is not in the realm of Setian chaos. Setian chaos is that chaos which destroys everything that is not strong enough to stand on its own.

Does it hurt? Yes. I could tell you numerous stories of Set's work in my life, for I too have had the world put before me. It's why I kept him at arm's length for almost two years. Once I understood what he was doing and how I could prevent it from happening again, I started on the path to becoming a better, stronger person.

From personal experience, Set's power is most destructive when kept at arm's length. YMMV, of course.

Also, I don't think the names can stop us from being crappy to each other. :\\ If someone is a child or dedicant of Set, and they run rampant in his name, that's not necessarily a reflection of Set himself, but rather human understanding of him and his power.

I'm not saying this to put down your feelings or your beliefs. I get what you're saying and the position is certainly justifiable in many ways.

Back to the original topic, Bast scares me sometimes. She's so vast, embodying incredible destructive power and motherly gentleness in one being.
Greetings Bast, lovely Eye of Ra,
you are what shelter is to a wanderer
in the desert when night sets
and the dangerous beasts come out.

Offline Blissi

• Remetj
« Reply #96 on: December 15, 2012, 04:11:22 pm »
Tif I really liked what you said here  
Setian chaos is that chaos which destroys everything that is not strong enough to stand on its own

Its a very simple but highly insightful way of seeing Set and his  charachteristics as such imo. It also made me sit back and think, well, what in my life is not strong enough on its own and would crumble at Sets touch? hmm
« Last Edit: December 15, 2012, 04:12:27 pm by Blissi »

Online Sarytsenuwi

• Rev Kaitlyn, Ordained Clergy - Sema Kau Bak
  • W'ab Priest - Lay Clergy
« Reply #97 on: December 15, 2012, 04:47:51 pm »
Quote from: Solar_powered
Anyone with the ability to both spiritually and literally look beyond themselves (IMO something that Set himself and many of his children lack, sorry)

Hey there, Daughter of Set here, doing a bit of a brief thread hijack, hope y'all don't mind. Solar_powered, I guess I just wanted to offer to chat with you at some point, if you'd be up for it, see if I can't offer an alternate perspective on what my Father's children can be like. It sounds like you've been burned pretty badly by someone who possibly acted in Set's name, and if you're willing, I'd like to try to make up for that. As someone who feels that Set's strength helps her to volunteer in challenging situations, and break down the walls that prevent change for the better in the world (while fully acknowledging the darkness and cruel acts in His mythos) I just... can't help but wince that your experience -- not with the god, but with His followers -- has been a bad one.

Back to your regularly scheduled, gods that make you go eep! (I'd sort of half-heartedly answer Aset myself, but the reasons why have pretty well been covered above. Aka: She's powerful and brilliant as all get out and I often feel tiny and imperfect before Her. ^_^; )
« Last Edit: December 15, 2012, 04:48:25 pm by Ekunyi »
Rev. Sarytsenuwi
(Standardbearer of my Two | Porta-estandarte de meus Dois)
Sat Set her Bast | Meryt Heru-wer, Hethert-Nut, her Heqat
W'ab Nekhen Medetsen net Nekh | Fedw for Set and Bast

« Reply #98 on: December 16, 2012, 02:22:39 am »
Quote from: Blissi
Tif I really liked what you said here  
Setian chaos is that chaos which destroys everything that is not strong enough to stand on its own

Its a very simple but highly insightful way of seeing Set and his  charachteristics as such imo. It also made me sit back and think, well, what in my life is not strong enough on its own and would crumble at Sets touch? hmm

See, I know that at times everyone stands on their own and needs the strength to do so but we are social creatures as a whole. We build communities, rely on each other and while some forms of weakness need to be destroyed most need to be worked on and help from others is often effective and freely given. People with Physical weaknesses (sickness or injury), Mental weaknesses (excluding many forms of addiction and a few others), children and other innocents need to be destroyed? I think not.  
« Last Edit: December 16, 2012, 02:23:30 am by Solar_powered »

Offline Bestekeni

• Semer-Wati
« Reply #99 on: December 16, 2012, 08:22:58 am »
Addiction is an illness like any other -- a physical change in the brain, in fact. Please do not marinalIze the members of our community who are recovering addicts.
Fedw diviner for Bes
𓃀𓎂𓀭𓏏𓎡𓈖𓁐
Sat Bes her Hekatawy Alexandros (AUS)
Meryt Heru-wer her Amun-Ra her Bast

Offline Tif

• Remetj
« Reply #100 on: December 16, 2012, 10:58:28 am »
Quote from: Solar_powered

People with Physical weaknesses (sickness or injury), Mental weaknesses (excluding many forms of addiction and a few others), children and other innocents need to be destroyed? I think not.  

The people with those things don't need to be destroyed. Any inner weakness they might have does. Our world is crazy. We need more people who are strong in their hearts.

From personal experience, it's inner weakness that Set targets. Sometimes it's to bring your attention to a particular situation, or other times it's to give you a clean slate to rebuild. It can be hard to see what to do about fixing your life when you have so much old stuff around you.

For example, Setian energies came in and basically trashed what was left of the relationship between my mother and her boyfriend. The break up was so bad I had to call the police. At that point, the relationship between my mother and I was non-existent. But we had a clean slate and, over time, our relationship has improved and we can now bear to be in the same room with each other.

I didn't become a Kemetic until a year after the fact, but I recognized Setian energies as soon as I learned about Set himself. I absolutely hated him for a long time, until I realized that (a) I had my mother again, (b) I was less depressed (ex-boyfriend was an abusive jerk), and (c) I was able to explore religions and found Bast. Bast is one of the best things that's happened to me in the past two years.

And all because Setian chaos barreled into my life, knocked down the things that weren't working, and left a space to rebuild.

Set's more destructive energies aren't final. His chaos is not a chaos of the Uncreated type. A person can come back. Changed, most likely, with a few scars and a touch of bitterness. Yet also better, stronger. I don't know about anybody else here, but once I began to understand Set's ways, I learned to chill out, to be patient, and to work with what I've got even if it's not much.

Is it always fair? Well, no. Honestly, though, do you expect the world to be fair? Can anyone expect the world to be gentle, kind? We can expect it, I guess. Reality shows us a different story. Personally, Set helped me see reality. That inspired some bitterness and misanthropy, to be sure. It also inspired a determination to not be a part of the problem.

Anyhoo, long post is long, so I'll wrap it up here.

Offline Tif

• Remetj
« Reply #101 on: December 16, 2012, 11:24:45 am »
And as I was in the shower, I got to thinking again. (Dangerous, right?)

Set targets a lot of stuff. Things that aren't working. Inner weakness. Things built on sand instead of solid rock. Things we were sure were just fine but in the end weren't.

His sense of timing is . . . interesting, I'll admit.

It's so hard to separate Setian chaos from the Uncreated chaos, since Set is so familiar with the latter. Also, the two chaoses were equated with each other in later times. It's hard not to see a big bad bogey here.

Chaos is seen as a code word for, "something's gone horribly, horribly wrong." That's true, sometimes. Other times, it just means, "things are in transition and we have no clue what's going on. Stay tuned!"  Or even, "there is no possible way this is going to work out for you, so let's throw everything in the air and see if you find the wheat amongst the chaff. Hope you don't get motion sickness!"

At this point, I can't help but think of Hesiod, who claimed the Hellenic gods were born of Chaos. Except the word in this context actually refers to a gap. A gap in what I would guess to be nothingness.

UPG: chaos is a gap from which anything can emerge. Things good and bad. Whoever emerges is the one who fights smartest, not necessarily hardest. Whoever remains is the one who establishes the best footing. It's okay if we mortals don't get it right the first time. Most mythologies hold that the gods had to do quite a bit of tweaking to make the world run smoothly. Why should we be expected to get it right the first time around?

From a more Kemetic perspective--and I'm moving into UPG again--chaos is not a presage of total destruction, nor is it a presage of evil. It is a warning, a klaxon shaking us to our foundations so we'll pay attention. It is a sign pointing to a gaping serpent mouth, but also a reminder of our own light. That sounds cheesy, but I've found it to be true. We all have our own inner "Eye of Heru", a fire that cannot be extinguished unless we let the Evil One or his minions take it.

If Set tries to steal the Eye, it's only so we learn to defend it better. Again, is it fair? Not necessarily. Kind? Er, no. Useful? Yes. Think of it as a practice run. You can either practice with the chaos dude who'll at least leave you something to rebuild with, or you can practice with the serpent who won't leave you anything.

That's my view and now I'll shut up.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2012, 11:26:18 am by Tif »

« Reply #102 on: December 16, 2012, 02:01:38 pm »
I am not claiming chaos is necessarily bad, it is as often good as bad, but some people thrive in chaos, some in order I am usually the later. The chaos itself isn't my issue. I'll end this here by just saying YES, I know that there is a difference between the uncreated and Set. YES, Set mostly isn't bad. My experiences have been adversarial with him, maybe he is a good or practice adversary. Hopefully we will have a better understanding of each other in the future. But for now things are pretty tense.

Most of this is very personal too me. In some ways you can say that Set has taken great interest in me for some reason. From a very young age his energies have always been around in places I've lived, people I've known. and so often right in his wake the uncreated or something else comes along and destroys any good that may have happened. the 2 seem interconnected far too often. I'm tired of it. What peace and strength I've been able to find and bring to the world around me have come from Heru, Ra, Yinepu, Wesir and others like them. It may change but for now that is were I stand.

Offline Shezep_shuty

« Reply #103 on: December 26, 2012, 11:24:47 am »
When the storm is over, you come out of your basement. The first thing you say is "Holy %&^%!" Then, you say the second thing, "It could have been worse." That's when you tip your hat to the red guy. The tree fell this way and not that way. It could have been worse. He was watching your back. I'm rather 'solar powered' myself, but honestly, I love Set like a brother.

Ra is the one who has been the scary one to me. He's even one of my fathers. I'm not really sure what to say to other Ra kids because my relationship with him has been a bit rough. It's been a little more than a year since my RPD, more years than that since his meddling. I'm just now starting to figure out what he was doing.

Instead of hating or trying to avoid the scary ones, you should seek them out. They have a lot to teach you.
Kemetic Mystic
Heru-sa-Aset is my copilot.

Offline Arefsenu

• Shemsu
« Reply #104 on: May 28, 2013, 07:12:15 am »
Em hotep!

I don't find any of the Netjer scary but there are some who I find a bit intimidating.

When I think of Aset I imagine a cool, white orb that resonates gentle but don't-mess-with-me energy. She does intimidate me a little bit because there are a lot of stories and other Netjer surrounding Her.

The other Netjeru who I find intimidating is Ra. When I think of Him I see a flaming, burning, hot orb that is warm and infinitely big. Maybe it's this 'bigness' that frightens me.

I don't feel any negative or scary energies from these Netjeru, they just resonate with *something* that makes me a bit uneasy.

Senebty!
"Enclosed by Two"
Sat Bast her Wepwawet-Yinepu
Meryt Sekhmet-Hethert her Heru-sa-Aset

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 3061
  • stats Total Posts: 291602
  • stats Total Topics: 19820
  • stats Total Categories: 8
  • stats Total Boards: 113
  • stats Most Online: 653
anything