Register
collapse collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 70
  • Dot Hidden: 2
  • Dot Users: 6
  • Dot Users Online:

Author Topic: Scary Netjeru  (Read 94769 times)

Offline HedebBast

• Shemsu
Re: Scary Netjeru
« Reply #45 on: July 24, 2010, 03:43:18 am »
Quote from: Bennu
I'm with ASH with regards to Set. I'll just add: if you have a request to ask of Him, make sure you are very clear about what you want, and most importantly, about why you want it. In my own UPG, because He is essentially unpredictable and self-serving, He's the kind of Name who will throw in something unexpected in the bargain. With Set, there's always an ulterior motive. So read the fine print, so to speak, and be ready to get what you wish for - and then some.  :/

This is my own UPG, of course.  :grin:

That is very much experience with Him too :P.  Also, in my experience, how you would like it to happen.
-HedebBast-
Sat Bast
Meryt Sekhmet-Mut
Thankful to Set and my Akhu
Facebook|Blog

Offline TahekerutAset

• Shemsu
« Reply #46 on: July 24, 2010, 08:22:25 am »
With Set, there's always an ulterior motive.

Isn't this true with all the gods?  :-)  
TahekerutAset "Aset's Jewel"
Sat Aset
Meryt Nebet Het, Wepwawet, Sekhmet-Mut, Ra her Mut

« Reply #47 on: July 24, 2010, 12:02:06 pm »
Quote from: TahekerutAset
With Set, there's always an ulterior motive.

Isn't this true with all the gods?  :-)  

I can't speak for anyone but myself and my own UPG, of course, but so far, only Set consistently gives me that feeling of "Oh yeah? So what's in it for me?" kind of self-centeredness.  None of the other Names I've interacted with to date have come across to me as being outright self-serving and willing to help only if they have something to gain by doing so (or by throwing in the bargain something unexpected that pops up later and must be dealt with).

Again, I stress that this is just my own experience. I'm sure there must be other Names of Netjer who can be quite motivated by self-interest in their dealings with we mortals. But so far, to me, only Set seems to make no bone about the fact that His primary concern is always, always Himself.
Fate is the web we weave from the choices we make.

"'The only true wisdom consists in knowing that you know nothing.' That's us, dude!"  
              -Ted "Theodore" Logan, Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure

« Reply #48 on: July 24, 2010, 09:18:35 pm »
*hides under the bed with a flashlight*  Aset used to (and to a lesser extent still does) scare the heck out of me.  She is so big, multi-faceted, and powerful.  Ruthless, too.  I was afraid She might squish me.  She did nothing to ease my fear, but instead affirmed that She quite easily could squish me but hasn't yet decided if and/or when She will.

I find myself remembering that all of the Netjeru can be scary.  They all have the potential to do some very amazing and terrible things, even the ones that are usually seen as gentle.  If anything in the world is worth fearing, it is a God.  Physical things can hurt you, but a God could do far more.
Kehawi
Sa Amun-Ra her Set
Mery Serqet her Heru-wer

Offline TahekerutAset

• Shemsu
« Reply #49 on: July 24, 2010, 10:27:39 pm »
[

Again, I stress that this is just my own experience. I'm sure there must be other Names of Netjer who can be quite motivated by self-interest in their dealings with we mortals. But so far, to me, only Set seems to make no bone about the fact that His primary concern is always, always Himself.

I just meant the ulterior motive part.  I was trying to be funny.  I guess it didn't translate right over the internet.  The gods can have many reasons for doing what they do and some we may even know, but I bet there are reasons that we don't know.  

Aset can be self serving too and Set sounds like it from what you've said (and others).  
TahekerutAset "Aset's Jewel"
Sat Aset
Meryt Nebet Het, Wepwawet, Sekhmet-Mut, Ra her Mut

Offline Niheri

• Shemsu
« Reply #50 on: July 25, 2010, 11:06:16 am »
Hello, everyone :).

I'm very new to this site, having found Kemetic Orthodoxy completetly by accident while trying to find out why the Set animal has been appearing in my dreams over the past couple of months. He is not scary, but he sort of glares at me with a "come on, get on with it," sort of look. Trouble is, I'm not sure what "it" is...
Anubis has always been around for me - when I was 10, we went on a school trip to a museum in London to see the Tutankhamun exhibition, and I saw a statuette of Anubis and remember thinking, "Oh, that's who you are!".

I don't think Set is scary as such - he doesn't suffer fools gladly, which is maybe why he's bugging me a bit at the moment - just wish I knew what "it" is...

I'm looking forward to getting to know people a little - at 47 youwould have thought I had found my spiritual path already...Not for lack of trying. but maybe, just maybe this is Home...:).
« Last Edit: July 25, 2010, 11:07:22 am by Jet »
Daughter of Wepwawet-Yinepu

Beloved of Set and Amun-Ra.

Offline Sekhenetnut

• Shemsu
« Reply #51 on: July 25, 2010, 11:20:40 am »
Quote from: Topetl

I find myself remembering that all of the Netjeru can be scary.  They all have the potential to do some very amazing and terrible things, even the ones that are usually seen as gentle.  If anything in the world is worth fearing, it is a God.  Physical things can hurt you, but a God could do far more.  

I stayed away from the Netjeru for a long time because they felt so huge, ancient and frightening. I loved Egypt and I admired the Names but there was no way I was going to worhip Them; They were just too imposing.
Sekhenetnut |Brought together by Nut
Sat Nut meryt Mut her Bes!

« Reply #52 on: July 25, 2010, 11:52:32 am »
Quote from: Jet
Hello, everyone :).

I'm looking forward to getting to know people a little - at 47 youwould have thought I had found my spiritual path already...Not for lack of trying. but maybe, just maybe this is Home...:).

Age has nothing to do with it, Jet. I'm 41 and still happily searching.  :)  That's what it's all about. And maybe that's what your "it" is all about.  :whistle:

"'The only true wisdom consists in knowing that you know nothing.' That's us, dude!"  

Offline Tai'awepwawet

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #53 on: July 25, 2010, 01:31:02 pm »
Quote from: Jet

Hai :3 And no, I think spirituality is a lifelong thing.

I agree that all Gods can probably be scary. Wepwawet has scared me sometimes. Intense, staring right through, overwhelming sense of *power* and strength and readiness to use it.
Meset Wepwawet
Meryt Serqet, Bast, Ra-Heruakhty, Hethert-Amenti, her Nit-Nebthet-Seshat
Child of (Hekatawy Alexandros)|
Fedw and Tarot Diviner • Sau Apprentice • Self-care Hethert-Amenti Advocate
𓇼𓃧𓆫𓃠𓅊𓏣𓋌𓇼

Offline HehiAset

• Shemsu
« Reply #54 on: July 25, 2010, 01:48:19 pm »
HI Jet and welcome to our Boards! Enjoy!

I wouldn't worry about your vast age, i began with this faith - albiet elsewhere some 13-14 years ago - via several Teachers the Netjer put in my Path.

I ended up in the House and feel it is Home, despite being 74.

And by listening more than I talk I find I learn from The Nisut, The Priesthood, The Congregation and more often than not Beginners!  Learning and marveling about the Netjer is something you can have for life is you so wish!It is exciting, challenging, confusing, scary at times and also highly personal.

Again welcome

Hehi
Hehi

Sa Aset-Serqet,her Hekatawy1(AUS!)
meryt Hethert-Sekhmet her Yinepu-Wepwawet

Aset makes you bright,and makes  fair ways of vindication against your foes,and those who would have judgment against you in the realm of the dead"

Coffin Texts

Offline Linda

• Remetj
« Reply #55 on: July 25, 2010, 02:01:47 pm »
Don't worry, i'm 50 in August and I've only just realised this is my path! :blush: :grin:
You don't know what you can do until you try.

« Reply #56 on: July 25, 2010, 03:14:13 pm »
[

I just meant the ulterior motive part.  I was trying to be funny.  I guess it didn't translate right over the internet.

No problem.  :) Getting lost in translation online is bound to happen from time to time.

Offline Devo

• Remetj
« Reply #57 on: July 26, 2010, 09:46:03 am »

I can't speak for anyone but myself and my own UPG, of course, but so far, only Set consistently gives me that feeling of "Oh yeah? So what's in it for me?" kind of self-centeredness.  None of the other Names I've interacted with to date have come across to me as being outright self-serving and willing to help only if they have something to gain by doing so (or by throwing in the bargain something unexpected that pops up later and must be dealt with).

I honestly think it has to do with the person. I've been working with Set for a while now, and for whatever reason, he'd pretty upfront with me. Of course, I'm totally bizaar in how I respond to his stuff.

Him: "So, I've got some huge hurtles coming towards you that are gonna totally kick your arse."
Me: "Really?! XD I can't wait!!"

I'm weird, I know, in that I love the challenges set before me. I guess his self-serving motives don't really cross my mind or bother me. Really, we're quite well suited together.

-Devo
dA | FB | Tumblr | WP

« Reply #58 on: July 26, 2010, 01:12:42 pm »
Set's tendency towards self-centeredness, unpredictability and looking out primarily for Himself doesn't phase me either, probably because in these respects, He and I are quite alike.  ;) It's just something that I believe should be kept in mind when dealing with Set, is all.

Offline Devo

• Remetj
« Reply #59 on: July 26, 2010, 01:14:17 pm »
That's true and makes sense.

-Devo
dA | FB | Tumblr | WP

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 3131
  • stats Total Posts: 294123
  • stats Total Topics: 20042