Register
collapse collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 64
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 7
  • Dot Users Online:

Author Topic: In search of a scorpion  (Read 10704 times)

Offline Ivy

In search of a scorpion
« on: July 31, 2010, 11:51:14 pm »
Hello, everyone!  My name is, obviously, Ivy.  After years with no religion or spirituality at all, I've recently started learning a very eclectic neo-pagan practice from a friend of mine and have found it quite fascinating so far.  I don't really know where I'm going with it yet, but one thing I've noticed already is that my most intense meditations have given me recurring images and ideas of scorpions.  I've been trying to find information on scorpion-related deities in case someone is trying to send me a message, and by far the most interesting I've found so far is Serket.  Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of information about her online.  

I was pointed towards this forum as a resource and I've spent a while poring over old threads - I've found the religious information here quite interesting and the community very friendly. ^_^  I admit, at this point I can't really see myself becoming a shemsu*, but I hope it isn't presumptuous of me to ask for your help anyway.  I'd be very interested in any information you can share with me about Serket and ways to contact her.  I know she's often seen as an aspect of Aset, but it's the scorpion side of her I'm most interested in.  Anything you can tell me about Serket, or any books or other resources you can recommend to me, would be most deeply appreciated.  Thank you!

* I hope I got this terminology right. ^_^;;

Offline Linda

• Remetj
Re: In search of a scorpion
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2010, 05:23:28 am »
Hello Ivy, em hotep,  :) Welcome to the forum. i'm new here too, but have learnt so much already. I don't know anything about Serket yet, but i'm sure you'll be pointed in the right direction. I was assured a warm welcome when I joined, even though i didn't know if I was going to become Shemsu. You'll be very welcome anyway! :grin:
You don't know what you can do until you try.

Offline Hemka

• Shemsu
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2010, 05:41:08 am »
Emhotep,

Recently I was divined,( the rite of passage you can choose to take which determine which gods are closest to you) and Aset-Serket was in my lineup.

When I met Serket it was seeing her statue as one of the four protectors of the shrine of Tutankhamen. I was immediately struck by Her beauty. I couldnt stop thinking about her for weeks.  Its debated whether her name means "She who allows the throat to breath, or she who strangles." Yes,she was called upon to heal those suffering from snake bites and scorpions. one of my favorite stories of Aset(Isis) is one where a women refused her hospitality and so the seven scorpions that followed her stung the woman's  child, and Aset healed it.
When I give massages to a friend of mine,who is in a lot of pain due to accidents I invoke Serket,I envision her golden smile and speak her lovely  name.

I think you are on the right path.You seem to have quickly picked up what They are trying to give you.
Of course the best way to find out more is to ask Serket yourself. Make an offering to Her.You cant go wrong with that.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2010, 05:43:27 am by dendera »

Offline Ivy

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2010, 06:23:02 am »
Quote from: dendera
Its debated whether her name means "She who allows the throat to breath, or she who strangles."

I think this is what has me so fascinated by her - that she's both a healer and a guardian, able to cure poisons but also to inflict them on anyone who threatens those she's protecting.  I'm the sort of person who will do anything to comfort or to defend my friends and loved ones when they need it, so I immediately felt a sort of kinship with Serqet when I began reading about her.

Offline Sehedjef

• Rev. Sehedjef - Ordained Clergy - Semer-Wati
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2010, 07:05:44 am »
Em hotep Ivy!  *henu*

Welcome to the boards and I hope you enjoy your time here!  In regards to Serqet, you won't find much in the way of scholarly written material regarding Her.  There is a single book in French regarding Her priests and worship (the name escapes me at the moment) but what I can offer is a little information about Her and offerings She likes.  Serqet is acknowledged as both a healing goddess (primary function) as well as a goddess of magic (secondary function).

In regards to Her healing aspect, She focuses on non physical healing (dealing with emotional trauma, abuse, addictions, headaches, etc) rather than physical injuries (poisonous bites being an exception to that focus).  In regards to Her magic focus it is primarily magic used for healing purposes rather than magic in general.

As far as offerings go, things you can offer Her are:  lemons, limes, as well as lemonade and limeade, things that are acidic, things with a kick to them.  You could also offer mint tea, Lady Grey tea, peppermint patties, peppermint milk (milk with peppermint and some sugar if wanted), spicy pepperoni.  She also enjoys the Nature Valley Sweet and Salty almond cereal bars with the almond butter coating on the bottom. ^_^

For incense She likes Morning Star amber incense, and Morning Zen by Shoyeido.  For stones She likes amber, garnet, obsidian, and red jasper for starters.  Colors She likes are reds and oranges.

As far as times of more formal prayers, She has a preference for times of darkness, Her scorpion aspect in particular (although you can pray to Her at any time).  Regarding the "feel" of Serqet when in scorpion mode, She has an "alien" or "primal" feel to Her which is kind of hard to explain but is obvious when spending time with Her.

Hopefully this has helped somewhat and given you some ideas for spending time with Her.  ^_^

Senebty,
Imti
Rev. Sehedjef
(He shines with the beauty of the truth of his Mothers)
Sa Nebthet her Serqet
Mery Ptah her Tasenetnofret

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2010, 09:46:23 am »
Welcome!
I hope you can learn a lot about Serket!

Offline Shefytbast

• W'ab Priest - Lay Clergy
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2010, 09:50:57 am »

Em hotep and welcome, Ivy! ^_^

Shefyt

Shefytbast | daughter of Bast, beloved of Nut, Amun-Ra, and Wenut
Heri-sesheta Bast | Divinations
Blog: Gold of the Valley, Lapis of the River

Offline Taysatwesir

• Shemsu
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2010, 12:28:33 pm »
Em Hotep & Welcome Ivy! :)
Taysatwesir
This daughter of Wesir
sat Wesir as Ptah-Sokar-Wesir
meryt Mut, Ma'ahes, Bast, and Hethert-Sekhmet

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2010, 12:49:01 pm »
Em hotep, Ivy, and welcome to the boards.  :)
Fate is the web we weave from the choices we make.

"'The only true wisdom consists in knowing that you know nothing.' That's us, dude!"  
              -Ted "Theodore" Logan, Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure

Offline kathleen

• Remetj
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2010, 06:45:23 pm »
welcome!  :)
Redheads are descended from cats. --Mark Twain

Offline TahekerutAset

• Shemsu
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2010, 06:51:21 pm »
Hotep Imyutimuti,

Thank you for this post about Serqet.  It's very helpful!

TahekerutAset "Aset's Jewel"
Sat Aset
Meryt Nebet Het her Wepwawet her Sekhmet-Mut her Ra

Offline TahekerutAset

• Shemsu
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2010, 06:51:54 pm »
Hotep, Ivy and Welcome to the boards.
TahekerutAset "Aset's Jewel"
Sat Aset
Meryt Nebet Het her Wepwawet her Sekhmet-Mut her Ra

Offline Senushemi

• Forum Moderator (Beginners' Forums)
  • Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2010, 11:21:48 pm »
Em hotep and welcome Ivy!  It's nice to meet you. :)
Sat Bast her Djehuty meryt Sekhmet
Fedw Diviner for Djehuty and Bast
Self-Care Sekhmet Advocate
Proud waver of the "senu" flag.
senushemi@gmail.com

Offline Vaalea

• Divined Remetj
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2010, 05:01:44 am »
Welcome to the boards, Ivy.

I find it cool it's been interest in Serqet that brought you in. I haven't seen that many people coming in because of Her, it's more usually Aset or say Bast. :>
Vaalea, Shemsu em Kemet.
Sa Wepwawet-Ra her Bast, KO Sa Serqet.
Friend to Khepera and Sobek-Ra.

Tarot reader for Wepwawet & Serqet.

Offline Satsenu

• Shemsu
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2010, 08:33:00 am »
Em hotep Ivy! I hope you find what you are looking for. ^_^
Satsenu, Daughter of Two
I am the daughter of Wepwawet(-Yinepu) and Bast, beloved of Wesir-Sokar and Amun-Ra.

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 2979
  • stats Total Posts: 286948
  • stats Total Topics: 19448
  • stats Total Categories: 8
  • stats Total Boards: 110
  • stats Most Online: 217
anything