collapse collapse

* Donation Status

37%   Current donation status as of January 22, 2021 = $932 of $2,500 (37%)   Donate!

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 38
  • Dot Hidden: 4
  • Dot Users: 8
  • Dot Users Online:

Author Topic: Tell Me About Wepwawet?  (Read 18699 times)

Tell Me About Wepwawet?
« on: August 18, 2010, 09:24:21 am »
Em Hotep, Family!

Over the last few days, I've found myself thinking a lot about Wepwawet - He's appeared in two dreams recently, and this has me wondering if I might not have a new Beloved, since I can't honestly say I've thought about him before in anything more than a passing manner. I'd love to hear more about Him from His children and beloveds!

[color:red]

DuatSekhmet She Who Worships Sekhmet
Sat Sekhmet, Meryt Set[/color]

Re: Tell Me About Wepwawet?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2010, 09:36:35 am »
Um, he ROCKS!

Srsly tho, what is it you want to know? What was He like in your dreams?
Timu

Sat Aset, meryt Wepwawet her Renenutet

Offline Bezenwepwy

• Divined Remetj
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2010, 09:40:38 am »
As an undivined remetj, I'm not "officially" a child of Wepwawet, but I do consider myself to be his. But the real question is - where to start! Was there a particular type of info you wanted to know about him? Personal experiences and impressions, or more research/scholarly stuff?

edit - Doh, Timu beat me to it. ;)
« Last Edit: August 18, 2010, 09:41:08 am by Nefersedt »
On the Temple Steps - My amulet shop.
Per-Sabu.org - More jackals than you can shake a stick at.
Big Bad Jackal - Another jackal-laden venue.

Offline Satsenu

• Shemsu
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2010, 10:16:04 am »
Em hotep! Wepwawet is indeed a very complex character. I didn't really get to know Him until I was divined His child a bit ago! There are many aspects to Him... He can be a warrior, a shaman, a healer, a friend, etc etc. I want to share a few links with you that I think will help, then I'll share some of my personal UPGs on Him.

http://sites.google.com/site/sobeqsenu/whois

http://www.wepwawet.org/wiki/index.php?title=Wepwawet

My very first experience with Him was while I was at my old job. I was working then suddenly felt a masculine presence standing behind me and heard, "Wepwawet stands behind me!" in a deep voice. I got the visual of a tall figure with the head of an Ethiopian Wolf. I couldn't stop giggling because it was so sudden! Dad knows how to make an entrance sometimes! I kept feeling Him behind me throughout that night. He has a very protective air about Him at times and it is very comforting.  

Shortly after I was divined, I asked Wepwawet before I fell asleep to come to me so that I could learn more about Him. Boy, did I get a lot of information! Seeing Him in His warrior state, I get Him as being surrounded by browns and golds, silvery when He is walking between worlds, and purples/blues and some light greens when He is working with heka/magick. He likes stones, such as lapis lazuli, turquoise, and sodalite preferably in a beaded form. Recently I've also found He is fond of goldstone. I think Wepwawet like crystals overall, but that could just be because I work with crystal energy/healing. For scents, I had an odd idea come to me that night... Kind of woody, but darkly musky yet kissed by the sun. My nose had been stuffy, so I'm wasn't sure exactly what that scent would translate to and still am not fully sure. I got the sense that He would like dice, as pertaining to games of chance rather than gambling. I had gotten the visual of two dice in a smooth wooden cup.

Now that I've gotten to know Him better, I understand that the way He shows Himself to people is different based on how He sees fit. For me, He shows Himself as mainly a shamanic teacher. He is still very much the warrior, preferring weapons such as long daggers (short enough to comfortably be on His person but not small enough to completely hide), a bow and arrow, or a large wooden staff capable of using as a weapon or just for walking. I've pretty much always gotten Him as either a feeling or voice or as a brownish Ethiopian Wolf-headed man.

I could go on and on about Wepwawet! Please feel free to ask me any questions here or in a PM and I'll do my best to help. ^_^ I'm sure other Wepwawhelps will be along shortly to sing their praises about Dad too!
Satsenu, Daughter of Two
I am the daughter of Wepwawet(-Yinepu) and Bast, beloved of Wesir-Sokar and Amun-Ra.

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2010, 10:19:30 am »
Sorry, guess I should have let myself wake up more before asking for this ;)

Curious about personal impressions/experiences especially. The scholarly stuff can be found anywhere, I want to know what He's like. Sort of trying to put together why He's apparently coming into my life, or maybe even IF He has or it's a coincidence that I find His name in my mind so much lately.

What He was like in my dream, it's hard to say, because the dream was vague. It was a clear, strong presence of Him, but if He actually spoke to me, I don't remember. I really wish I did remember it better :-p

Offline Satsenu

• Shemsu
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2010, 10:31:27 am »
Dad isn't always fully direct. I've found He likes to be the guide rather than the impressionist, although He sometimes likes surprising people! Your dream being vague sounds just like Him while He is being the teacher/elder. My advice would be to ask Him to come to you before you go to sleep, asking Him specifically what you want Him to come to you for then open yourself up to whatever He has to say.
Satsenu, Daughter of Two
I am the daughter of Wepwawet(-Yinepu) and Bast, beloved of Wesir-Sokar and Amun-Ra.

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2010, 10:36:20 am »
He is VERY trickster with me. And loud. When He wants something, I KNOW it! (At least so far)

One thing in particular He seems to like to do with me is block the wind from fans.
:  o

Cheeky....

He can also be more serious, I've seen that side as well, not nearly as much, but little glimpses. He's kind of feels like an older brother most of the time...protective, yet teasing, VERY comfortable and wise. There is also a song by Prodigy called Colors that someone posted in a songs of Netjer thread that REALLY "captures" the feel of Him to me....

But He seems like the kind that can sit you down and have a serious talk, then pull a prank on you the next minute...

The only (LOUD!) request I've gotten from his was for some spicy cajun trail mix I was eating one day, but He also seems to like black cherry vodka and candy.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Ta_Imu_Aset »
Timu

Sat Aset, meryt Wepwawet her Renenutet

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2010, 10:53:06 am »
Wow, thanks for your insights, Nefersedt and Timu, and for all the great info, Satsenu! After reading your UPGs (which, honestly, I put more credence in than scholarly works) and the links you provided, I have a more clear idea of why He's come to me now. I'm currently looking for a job and not having much luck with it. I had an interview yesterday, so interesting that in the evenings preceding and following it, I dream of Him!

I do also sometimes have issues with standing up for myself, which is what Hemet (AUS) had said She felt was Sekhmet and Set's reasoning for claiming me, to help me become stronger. Maybe Wepwawet feels He can help as well? And I've always had a strong affinity with wolves. Very interesting stuff!

I will definitely make an offering to Him of some sort today, and invite Him to come to me more fully tonight, if it pleases Him to do so :)
« Last Edit: August 18, 2010, 10:56:51 am by DuatSekhmet »

Offline Bezenwepwy

• Divined Remetj
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2010, 10:54:20 am »
(Hope you don't mind a cut and paste from my livejournal where I talked about how he presents himself to me in terms of his various sides. :) )

It's pretty difficult to know where to start because he's just so amazing and lovely in my limited experience. I understand how he can seem a little aloof and/or intimidating to others, but I don't get that so much. With me, he's engaging, enthusiastic, and optimistic for the most part. He's also very active! I would not go so far as to describe him as hyper, because he's really not that bad. Honestly, he's not annoying. He's just bright-eyed and bushy-tailed, but otherwise quite easy-going and really friendly. His spirit is more than a little infectious. The best way for me to talk about him is probably to describe him in terms of his aspects.

Opener of Ways & The Magician:

In my experience, one of the biggest things about him is that he's very keen to help people by opening doors, finding the most effective route, fetching items, bringing about something they've always wanted for themselves, transforming fortunes, etc. He's very clever in the way he does these things too. So far in my relationship with him, it really does seem like if there's something I ever need or want, he finds a way to make it happen. He's thoughtful and affectionate towards me, but isn't overly mothering or coddling. To put it in another way, if I was ever really upset about something, he wouldn't sit there at my side for hours like Anubis might. Instead he'd go off and bring about something nice to try to cheer me up and actively change the situation. This is the aspect of him that also has to do with magic, intuition, insight, etc. He's good at guiding people towards a better understanding of themselves.

God of War:

In this aspect, he reminds me of my own strength and gives me the encouragement I need to overcome obstacles, as well as the means to defeat my enemies. (Regardless of what form they may take.) He has also motivated me to start exercising so I can be healthier and more confident. He likes to think he's a bit of a badass though and I suppose he is. He's certainly tenacious and powerful. A lot of his epithets attest to that. According to mythology, he was responsible for smiting enemies of the king and leading the way to victory. This aspect of him took great delight when I would play as a warg in the player-versus-player section of the MMORPG called Lord of the Rings Online. I'd skulk around the battlefield as a big wolf-like creature, scouting out the paths that the enemy players were using that day, and then I'd lurk in the undergrowth. When the next enemy player came by, I'd pounce on them at just the right moment and rip them into pieces. He seemed to think that sort of blatant flesh-eating pwnage was really enjoyable, while also appreciating that it was just a video game. It just illustrates to me that he really is a warrior deity, if not necessarily the soldier type that others sometimes see him as.

Judge and Justifier:

I also personally believe Wepwawet to be a function of Sed. As Sed, he is a champion of Ma'at. He's very fair and understanding when making any sort of judgement, and I think he tends to work to the very edge of Ma'at. He's a bit chaotic in this regard, there is no strict list of right and wrong. Someone else once said that Wepwawet is very pragmatic and his motto is, "Whatever works." In my experience, Sed-Wepwawet stresses that it's important to remember that maintaining Ma'at is just as much about considering yourself as it is about considering others. So it's okay if you do something a little off-beat or 'mean' sometimes, so long as you're not just doing it for the sake of being malicious. It's all relative and as such it's important to rely on your intuition when judging the 'correctness' of an action instead of following a steadfast set of rules.

The Trickster:

This is a fairly minor aspect of Wepwawet that doesn't really affect his more important and traditional roles, but I still wanted to mention it. He's very cheeky and mischievious, sometimes to the point of being irreverent. He's more than a little clever too, although in a fairly down to earth way. (Honestly, for me Anubis is more 'intellectual' than Wepwawet in this regard.) I've spent so much more time snickering and grinning since letting him into my life. He encourages me to bring a sense of playfulness into my life and to enjoy myself. (And of course this doesn't mean that he can't be serious, because he most certainly can. It's just that I think he's pretty easily amused and likes to mess around when not otherwise occupied.)

The Rescuer(?):

I don't know much about him as Wepwawet-Re yet, just that this form of his is particularly shiny and heroic. I'm looking forward to being able to research it though. At an immediate level, I know that Wepwawet has a very noble ka. There is no doubt of that. So the idea of him jumping to the rescue of people in a very outright way is not surprising to me at all.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Nefersedt »

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2010, 10:55:54 am »
Timu, I love the trickster aspect of the Netjeru! It literally made me giggle when you mentioned Wepwawet blocking the air from fans with you. He seems to maybe be a bit like Set in his attitude, being a little cheeky, a little wry maybe, and bawdy.

Offline Enbibibast

• Shemsu
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2010, 11:07:06 am »
Quote from: Satsenu
I get Him as being surrounded by browns and golds, silvery when He is walking between worlds, and purples/blues and some light greens when He is working with heka/magick. He likes stones, such as lapis lazuli, turquoise, and sodalite preferably in a beaded form.

This, coupled with the stones comment is giving me an ah-ha! moment about why I keep giving Him fluorite. It's filled with purples, blues, greens, glows under black light, and totally reminds me of all things magic. :D

At any rate, I was introduced to Him for the first time at my RPD, and knew nothing about Him. The more I began to learn, the more open He became towards me. Everything that has been said so far resonates as true for me also.
Enbibibast | Bibi
Daughter of Bast
Beloved of | Wepwawet-Yinepu | Djehuty | Sekhmet-Hethert | Heru-wer |
Tumblr

Offline Satsenu

• Shemsu
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2010, 11:14:04 am »
How neat, Timu and Nefersedt! I also have a "Trickster" UPG, but more along the lines that Trickster (the Native American Shamanic Coyote), and Yinepu-Wepwawet are bffs!   :D

I wanted to share something too that I was told a few weeks back... In the waaaay back of my mind I asked in passing to Wepwawet a question about His face of Yinepu in terms of leading the blessed dead through the Underworld. He told me, "Because people tend to trust a child more." I'm going to try to write a story or a prose to explain that more at one point, but I felt the need to write that here. Wepwawet and Yinepu are essentially the flip side of a coin... being the same Name, but can be very different individuals.

I never thought about Flourite, Bibi! What a great idea! *adds to my list of offerings to get my paws on*
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Satsenu »
Satsenu, Daughter of Two

Offline Bezenwepwy

• Divined Remetj
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2010, 11:15:17 am »
Ah yeah, with the gemstone and colours thing... I totally get him liking gold-sheen obsidian (which is gold, brown, and black all in one), lapis lazuli (particularly deep blue varieties, not 'denim' lapis), gold, and bronze (largely because bronze is brownish.) And yeah, indigo is a big hit colour-wise, and the eerie glowing kind of light greens like from prehnite or chrysophrase. :)

« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2010, 11:17:15 am »
Don't mind the c&p at all, Nefersedt! A lot of good info there, and I thank you for it! As a fellow Ringer, it made me grin to think of Him being amused at your play as a warg ;)

Curious if He ever appears as fully human to any of you, and what He looks like in that form. I had a flash of Someone the other day, and wondering if it was Him.

Offline Satsenu

• Shemsu
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2010, 11:18:47 am »
I get Him as half human with the head of the Ethiopian Wolf. When I don't see fur on His arms, I get the sense of a dark brown skin that is warm and full of life.
Satsenu, Daughter of Two

* Most Recent Topics

topic RPD Scheduled!
[[PUBLIC] FAQ: RPD (Rite of Parent Divination)]
Nesiwepwawet
Today at 10:28:28 am
topic Hi everyone!!!!
[[PUBLIC] Welcome!]
Rev. Raheri
January 19, 2021, 02:23:16 pm
topic WANT TO SEE YOUR SHRINE PICTURES
[[PUBLIC] Kemetic Orthodox Q&A]
Nesertem
January 18, 2021, 12:28:17 am
topic What is your favorite story?
[[PUBLIC] All Things Egypt: Ancient & Modern History and Culture]
Asethepetwi
January 17, 2021, 11:39:43 pm
topic Is Horus Greco Roman?
Taji
January 17, 2021, 07:37:34 am
topic Status Report-Half Year-Special Fundraising Campaigns
[[PUBLIC] Fundraising Announcements]
Tatuayinepu
January 17, 2021, 01:28:52 am
topic Current Fundraising/Donations status, January 16, 2021
[[PUBLIC] Fundraising Announcements]
Tatuayinepu
January 16, 2021, 01:55:14 am
topic Affection for a deity that you do not know
[[PUBLIC] Netjer (Our Gods & Goddesses)]
Sobekemiti
January 15, 2021, 06:28:59 am
topic Ra UPG
[[PUBLIC] Netjer (Our Gods & Goddesses)]
Tahai
January 13, 2021, 09:07:31 pm
topic Em hotep!
[[PUBLIC] Welcome!]
mercymagpie
January 13, 2021, 05:03:13 pm
topic The 42 Purifications
[[PUBLIC] Kemet Today - Rev. Tamara's Blog & Podcast]
Yinepuemsaes
January 13, 2021, 11:44:07 am
topic Em Hotep, everyone!
[[PUBLIC] Welcome!]
Nesertem
January 12, 2021, 07:22:57 pm
topic Upcoming virtual lectures in Egyptology!
Rev. Shezatwepwawet
January 09, 2021, 01:38:54 pm
topic Hello Everyone!!
[[PUBLIC] Welcome!]
Senuwierneheh
January 07, 2021, 09:49:17 am

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 3335
  • stats Total Posts: 300141
  • stats Total Topics: 20632
  • stats Total Categories: 8