collapse collapse

* Donation Status

8%
Current donation status as of October 30, 2021 = $211.74 of $2,500 or 8%
Donate!

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 41
  • Dot Hidden: 1
  • Dot Users: 2
  • Dot Users Online:

Author Topic: on making my first offering (at the risk of sounding stupid)  (Read 29387 times)

So I've been wanting to make an offering to Netjer for a while. To that end I've been looking up past posts on the subject. My goal in offering is kind of a "Hi there! I respect you and would really appreciate it if you would tell me/show me  more about you so I can actually form a relationship with you" type thing.

I, unfortunately, do not have a ton of money but I wanted to make the offering as  good  a one as I could. So I bought some Ginger ale and some Pecan Sandies cookies to offer. I wanted to offer fruit as well but the produce looked like it had seen better days.

So here are my concerns:
 -In reading back through some past posts I saw a lot on purity and menstruation. My problem is I have an illness that pretty much makes my menstrual cycle irregular and really , really long. To the point where I'm hospitalized receiving blood transfusions. Does this mean I can never do normal offerings such as I described above? I realize I can't do the formal rites

- When I was part of a religious authoritarian cult (years ago) I was part of a ministry where we would cast demons out of people and came against spirits we thought were not of the Christian God. Some of these spirits were (supposedly) Egyptian. I did this when I was at my most brainwashed and I did it out of ignorance( and suffered for it). If some of those spirits were actually  Egyptian does this mean I run the risk of angering the Names by even approaching them? i figured if they were mad at me for that past involvement then  I wouldn't even be here now trying to learn about Kemetic Orthodoxy with an eye to becoming Shemset, they would have driven me off somehow. If anything I think I'm being drawn towards, not repelled away.

Anyhow, forgive me, I am a grass green newbie to all of this.  I'm still going through old posts, reading my mythology, and the Wiki. hoping for a spot in beginners classes when it comes up again. I mean no disrespect. I just don't want to be on the bad side of  Netjer inadvertently.

Re: on making my first offering (at the risk of sounding stupid)
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2010, 04:08:13 am »
M htp Benethusia,

Welcome to the boards.  I'm glad you're finding your way around the forums.  

To address your concerns: what you've described for your offerings sounds just fine.  In my experience, Netjer appreciate our intent as well as the offering itself- often specifically what you like.    If you like it, there's an excellent chance Netjer will like the offering as well.

As for the purity issues you've seen mentioned, the really strict rules fall mostly to the priesthood.  Some Names are more finicky than others, but for your situation I'm sure Netjer understands.   Make sure you are as pure as possible given your circumstances, body and mind, and offer to Netjer.  More will be covered in the beginner's class about purity and personal purification.  

Netjer is forgiving and wants us to be happy.  Every moment, every day is Zep Tepi- a new chance to start fresh and give it another shot.  Give yourself permission to forgive yourself for any mistakes you made in the past.  What is in the past is in the past and it is done.  Now is your zep tepi and what matters is who you choose to be and how you act and what you do moving forward.  Netjer understands what is in your heart, and that's what matters.

And don't worry about sounding stupid- you didn't! :)
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Qaitsenu »
Senebty,

Qaitsenu

I will be remembered by those whose lives I've most affected, and least realized it.

W'abet Djehuty her Bast | Herisesheta Bast
Sau Apprentice | Fedw Diviner | The Original Kitbis

http://deskofthescribe.blogspot.com

Offline ubenet

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2010, 01:18:54 pm »
you can definitely make offerings when you're sick.  i offer things informally all the time, in varying states of health - to the point where i think i remember offering to share my morphine with Netjer when i was hospitalized last year for a horrible infection (that was an interesting few days).  They know when we're doing the best we can, if that makes sense.

i also don't think They'll hold your past against you.  things people do while they're in the thrall of cults are no more their fault than things little kids do when they don't know any better.  and anyway, even if They had been offended, approaching with offerings is always a good way to ingratiate yourself to gods or humans ;)
ubenetsenu - "two appear shining"
sat Sekhmet-Mut her Khonsu
meryt Wesir her Serqet-Aset

tarot and heka by request

Offline The Tai'awepwawet System

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2010, 02:58:22 pm »
Everything bar formal rites is fine when not pure for whatever reason.

And, except for state rites, there is often a degree of flexibility (eg for Senut). Various problems like lack of/no time for whites, constant menstruation, a chronic wound, can be dealt with so long as we do our best to make sure everything is clean, dry and dressed as appropriately as possible. Some Gods may ofc be less accommodating, but that's between you and them.
Tjema'awy | Sekhemib
Meset Wepwawet her (Hekatawy Alexandros)|
Meryt Serqet, Bast, Ra-Heruakhety, Hethert-Amenti, Nit-Nebthet-Seshat, her Sekhmet-Hethert
𓃧-𓆫𓃠𓅊𓋀𓋌𓁴
Our Blog + Links to Carrd and Incense Spreadsheet

Offline Paymaayinepu

• Shemsu
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2010, 10:15:02 pm »
As others mentioned, purity is only an absolute when you have an opened icon. Since you don't have one, you can approach the Names as you feel comfortable doing so.

As you start to establish a relationship with specific Names, They will probably make it clear what is and is not appropriate when you approach Them.

As for offerings, I have found that more often than not, it is the act of giving They find most pleasing. I have also found that the very notion that you want to give to Them, that you have found the time and conscience to think of Them, pleases Them. There are only a few very specific things that certain Names would find objectionable so, barring them, anything you can provide is more than enough.
Payma'a
Payma'ayinepu
"This one, Yinepu guides"
Sa Yinepu, Mery Ra
Per Yinepu: Tepy-dju-Ef

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2010, 04:47:53 am »
en-hotep!

i find purity not a problem, but if i am realy worried i'l start by blessing the offering before hand useing an old wiccan way, i also wash my hands before makeing the offering as a sign of respect, i also find looking at rituals the egyptians used and their practices like the baby in the cot, takes place in october (i think) and the feasts of ra 7th day of each month so i know definitly when i can make oferings and perform rituals without worring about illness or impureness.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2010, 04:52:00 am by tutamun »
"our nature off petty crimes against the nature of our own world has led us to turn to childish actions and losome lies, going to war is a childish act"

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2010, 06:17:30 am »
En Hotep,
I just wanted to thank you all for your answers. They were really appreciated.
It appears that Sekhmet has chosen to work with me =}
This made me nervous at first because, well, Hello this is Sekhmet we are talking about. As far as I can tell she isn't all butterflies and rainbows. However, she has been nothing but patient and empowering with me.

At least now I know what she likes for future offerings =} I'm just trying to learn how to hear from her more effectively. There's still a bunch of detritus to sort through from my days as a christian. At least progress is being made.

Anyhow, I just really wished to thank you all for taking the time to answer my question.

Seneteby

Offline Khesretitui

• Shemsu
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2010, 04:30:37 pm »
We all have our baggage, no doubt. The others have covered purity issues rather sufficiently, so I'll just share this bit about offerings:

Offerings, in my personal experience, are something we give out of gratitude and reverence. My household is none too opulent, and we're in the process of battling down our debts as well, so if we're not able to afford top dollar materials, as long as we're not being deliberately cheap (as opposed to frugal; there is a difference), it's fine.

I once offered a PB&J to Set because it was literally all I could afford. It's the intent, really.
Khesretitui
"My Fathers Dispel Evil"

Sat Set her Ra-Heruakhety
Meryt Heru-wer her Yinepu-Wepwawet

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2010, 10:54:51 pm »
Oh I'm going to agree with that. A girl on another forum asked if candy was alright as that's all she had. I told her that it's intent that matters and that the Gods will understand that you don't have a billion dollars to spend.
I follow the rhythm of Egypt.

Offline The Tai'awepwawet System

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2010, 10:00:06 am »
Plus sometimes the Gods like candy.
Tjema'awy | Sekhemib
Meset Wepwawet her (Hekatawy Alexandros)|
Meryt Serqet, Bast, Ra-Heruakhety, Hethert-Amenti, Nit-Nebthet-Seshat, her Sekhmet-Hethert
𓃧-𓆫𓃠𓅊𓋀𓋌𓁴
Our Blog + Links to Carrd and Incense Spreadsheet

« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2010, 10:43:29 am »
Oh yes, me like candy, lol. I'm going to say this. Even though I don't observe Halloween (and no I don't care that a important Isis or whatever holiday lands on Halloween) the plus side is that they sell tons of candies and other sweet treats. Perfect to give to the gods. Of course we must make sure they brush after having a cupcake. Don't want Sekhmet to get a toothache or bad case of tooth rot, lol.

« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2010, 10:12:00 pm »
While I understand that it's the intent behind the offering, is there something specific I should be offering to Set?  Since I haven't a clue what I'm doing yet, I worry about offending him.  My research is very conflicting.  Some say he'll only take rum, others insist only wine or beer.  I'm confused.
Deep into the darkness, peering
     long I stood there wondering, fearing,
Doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal
     ever dared to dream before.

- Edgar Allan Poe, "The Raven"

Offline Khesretitui

• Shemsu
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2010, 10:52:45 pm »
We've all had our own personal experiences with him, and many of those are affected by our personal situations. Consider the following:

If Shemsu A drinks, Shemsu B smokes cigars and drinks, and Shemsu C is a recovering alcoholic who is trying to quit smoking, what Set may want from each will be different. He, in my experience, wouldn't expect Shemsu C to offer something that could cause Shemsu C harm.

Meanwhile, Set might appreciate alcohol from A and B, but wouldn't ask tobacco of A if A doesn't smoke.

Then consider Shemsu D, who might love vodka but hate rum. Since, in my experience, Set wants his offerings consumed and not wasted, it wouldn't make sense for D to offer rum, as it would be wasted, effectively.

Generally, he likes strong things, spicy things, and meat, in my experience. You can also dedicate feats of strength and/or valor to him. What each of those things might be will depend on you -- and if you don't eat meat for whatever reason, I doubt he'd expect a meat offering.

Why not ask him yourself and see?
Khesretitui
"My Fathers Dispel Evil"

Sat Set her Ra-Heruakhety
Meryt Heru-wer her Yinepu-Wepwawet

« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2010, 11:04:48 pm »
I agree with Khesret... a lot of this is going to depend on what the particular worshiper can or will consume.

As far as drinks, although I like rum, I don't drink it often and therefore don't offer it often.  When I drink alcohol it's usually beer, which I do offer.  Most often I offer Coke Zero.  Why?  Because that's what I've been drinking.  I'd say that rum, whiskey, brandy, and beer are good choices.  I don't drink coffee anymore, but I used to offer that too.  Oh, and like seven or so years ago I used to offer Him Burger King a lot.  I'm not suggesting it, I'm just saying it worked.

I'd also say that red meat, lettuce (especially good leaf lettuce or garden lettuce that has milky sap), ethnic food, dark chocolate, and spicy/piquant foods are great.  Hot sauce, stuff like that.
Son of Set and Wepwawet-Yinepu.
Beloved of Sekhmet-Hethert, Heru-Wer, and Aset-Serqet.

« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2010, 11:50:23 pm »
I agree with Setkheni_itw on the offerings. The Gods understand that things are different and if the worshiper likes something then they will. I went to wal-mart and bought a whole bag of kit kat to do offerings and a bottle of peach mango drink. It's from V-8 (It's really good and you can't even tell the veggies are in there). So this Sunday, when I'm free from my G.E.D stuff (I'm doing a on-line thing so that I can get my G.E.D), I will give prayer and offering.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2010, 11:51:37 pm by 3467 »

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 3496
  • stats Total Posts: 304032
  • stats Total Topics: 21100
  • stats Total Categories: 9
  • stats Total Boards: 124
  • stats Most Online: 955
SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal